Babri demolition, 20 years after. What was your reaction ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by ashdoc, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ashdoc

ashdoc Senior Member Senior Member

Frankly, mine was that of disbelief - How could the cowardly vegetarian Hindus have the guts to tear down the Mosque ??

If you were old enough to understand the magnitude of what was going on, please tell your reaction.

3. SpArK

SpArK SORCERER Senior Member

Re: 20 years after---do you remember your reaction at babri demolition

Most guys here would have been under 10 years at that time and their reaction would have been mostly" yay no schools tommorow"...:p

Spindrift, jackprince, Nagraj and 7 others like this.
  4. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Re: 20 years after---do you remember your reaction at babri demolition

Bro in south I dont think that became such a big issue..especially in TN and KL...but yeah i was in school then and had no knowledge of it...

5. panduranghari

panduranghari Senior Member Senior Member

6. maomao

maomao Veteran Hunter of Maleecha Senior Member

Historical Correction!!

More such corrections needed to eliminate Islamic terror, bigotry and imperialism!

JBH22, panduranghari and pankaj nema like this.
  7. Hari Sud

Hari Sud Senior Member Senior Member

The site of Babri, the former location of a Hindu temple was forcibly demolished by Muslim Babar, king of Delhi who came from north of Afghanistan to rule the Gangatic Plains in 1527 AD.

This wrong could not be righted for 500 years until the Babri was demolished 20 years back.

Muslim have an uncompromising attitude towards others religious places. They first occupy somebody's place and burn it to ground and build their own place in complete disregard to others feelings. Then they go about shouting minority rights where none should exist anyway.

Reasonably attitude towards other people does not exist in Muslim mindset. If I were them, i would with pleasure handover the place, if that place is so important to the other people, but not Muslim. They must keep the fight going.

Pratap, chase, Vishwarupa and 2 others like this.
  8. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Warning : This is a potentially explosive topic. Posts which the staff deems inflammatory etc. will be taken down, edited.

Nagraj and pmaitra like this.
  9. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

A midnight raid that changed course of history

NEW DELHI: On the night of December 22-23, 1949, an idol of Ram Lalla "mysteriously" appeared inside Ayodhya's Babri Masjid, setting in motion a chain of events that was to change the course of Indian politics in later decades. Little is known about what happened on that fateful night. But a new book now reveals how the events unfolded and claims those who pulled the strings of the Ayodhya strategy were also those accused in the Mahatma Gandhi murder case.

Authors Krishna Jha and Dhirendra K Jha interviewed a number of surviving eyewitnesses and accessed archival material to uncover the buried story of how the mosque turned into a temple overnight — a tale that describes the motivations of local players, the administrative collusion and the grand plan of a nationwide rightwing political mobilization intended to pitchfork Hindu Mahasabha as a major political player in post-independent India.

Central to the cast of local characters was Baba Abhiram Das, a well-built, 6-foot-tall local sadhu of the Nirvani akhara, who led three others into the mosque with the idol. Abhiram, later known as 'Ramjanmabhoomi Uddharak' (liberator) or simply as Uddharak Baba, died in 1981.

The researchers pieced together events of that night through extensive interviews with Abhiram's brother and cousins, who were all in Ayodhya in 1949. Two of his cousins —Indushekhar Jha and Yugal Kishore Jha — claim to have followed Abhiram into the mosque.

But that was not the original plan. According to the researchers, Abhiram was to have been accompanied by Baba Ramchandra Das Paramhans, who later became a central figure in the Ayodhya movement. Another sadhu, Vrindavan Das, was to join the two with an idol of Lord Ram. The trio was supposed to go inside the 16th-century mosque around 11pm — with a sympathetic guard looking the other way — plant the idol below its central dome and keep the deserted place of worship under their control till the next morning, when a large band of sadhus would pour in for support.

But that night, Paramhans "went missing", surfacing again in Ayodhya a few days later, the researchers claim. Forty-two years later, Paramhans had his own version of the event, telling The New York Times he was "the very man who put the idol inside the masjid".

According to the book, Ayodhya: The Dark Night (HarperCollins), to be released later this month, Abhiram went ahead with the plan regardless. The lone occupant of the mosque, muezzin Muhammad Ismael, was beaten up and made to flee. As the intruders sat inside the mosque waiting for dawn, Gopal Singh Visharad, Faizabad unit president of the All India Hindu Mahasabha, was at a printing press, readying posters and pamphlets announcing the 'miracle' of Rama Lalla 'reclaiming' the Babri Masjid.

That morning, Ayodhya woke up to cries of 'Ram Lalla' from inside the mosque. Significantly, say the authors, one of the first persons to reach the spot was Faizabad DM, K K K Nair, a Malayalee known for his rightwing Hindu leanings. Though he was at the spot at 4am, the DM did not inform his superiors in Lucknow about the takeover till 9am, allowing time for Ram bhakts to gain complete control of the mosque. According to the book, on December 21, a day before the surreptitious planting of the idols, Nair had met a group of sadhus at a low-profile Ayodhya temple, Jambwant Quila, where the plan was given final shape.

Many of local Mahasabha leaders involved in the plan were the acolytes of Mahant Digvijai Nath, head of the Gorakshapeeth in Gorakhpur and president of the UP unit of Mahasabha. A day after the Ayodhya event, he became all-India general secretary of the party.

The book claims Digvijai Nath — a main accused in the Gandhi murder case but later let off — was the master strategist of the Ayodhya takeover. His old association with DM Nair helped the plan immensely. The larger design, the authors argue, was to make Ayodhya the fulcrum of a right-wing mobilization. The effort failed then, but later became the basis of major political movement culminating in the demolition of the Babri Masjid in 1992.

A midnight raid that changed course of history - The Times of India on Mobile

10. KS

May all those who died during that time in the riots rest in peace, with a special mention to the countless,nameless Kar Sevaks.

jackprince, maomao, chase and 3 others like this.
  11. pankaj nema

pankaj nema Senior Member Senior Member

In those days there was ONLY AIR and Door darshan for TV viewers

News was hard to come by

But when some guys got the INITIAL news which came through Telephones it was dismissed as NOT possible

Infact people were quite charged up and we even abused those friends who were breaking this news
    saying " Dont joke on this issue "

Later on the local Shiv sena office confirmed this and the reaction was unbelievable

People were stopped by the local police from taking out victory processions

But a few crackers were burst

The increased Police presence on the roads also confirmed that some thing had happened

AIR confirmed this news at 6 PM

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  12. Singh

I will say upfront. I didn't support the demolition of Babri Masjid.

I am convinced that it was Ram's birthplace. I am convinced that a Temple existed, which was raised to build a mosque.

But what took place there was despicable. It was not commiserate with Ram's teachings (Ram is consider maryada purshottam, his actions are perfect and in accordance with dharma). And obviously in hindsight the ensuing violence and the fracturing of society to me was unjustifiable.

I cannot absolve the muslims, either.

A most unfortunate incident, which shocked the very foundations of the nation. And the cracks of which will take decades to fill.

Rage and jalsa like this.
  13. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

An Incident which gave India a center-right opposition party.The Babri incident along with the Mandal comission report and Bofors Scandal gave Congress a Jhappad from which the Congress will never recover.VP Singh,Govindacharya and Advani did the greatest damage to INC.

A chauhan and chase like this.
  14. Iamanidiot

Paaji the demolition happened and we cannot change it

15. KS

^^ What Lord Ram would have done there is debatable, but the movement itself was borne out the angst and the frustration of the middle and the lower class North indian Hindu (primarily) who simply saw his faith and identity being trampled upon supposedly in a country where he was the majority and this movement was his way to vent out the anguish and re-assert his identity, pride and claim over the land. On that day according to him, not just a mosque was taken, but a structure that stood on one of his holiest place bearing the name of a foreign invader, a structure that reminded him of the tough days his land has gone through at the hands of the unwashed barbarians from central asia, a structure that symbolized the capitulation of Bharat to a foreign idealogy was taken down..and he in a sense was re-asserting the pride that seemed to have eluded him and this land for centuries. Now whether his perception was correct or not is debatable depending on the side of the political divide you are on...but simply ignoring the background to the issue and seeing it in isolation is not advisable.

p.s.: A better way of handling the issue could have been doing a Somnath on it. The issue was allowed to fester in the hope it would go away, but it just grew and one fine day exploded on the face of the nation. That is a lesson we need to learn, but I dont think we havent.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    maomao, chase, panduranghari and 2 others like this.
  16. Singh

It cannot be changed, but that doesn't mean I have to condone it.

Instinctively too I felt that it was wrong.

Later, I thought it was justifiable. I mean c'mon it was the birthplace of Rama, and Muslim invaders had given a middle finger to Hindus. They destroyed that temple and put up a mosque etc. etc.

But then after reading about/learning from some enlightened folks I realized that it cannot be justified as right. Not ever.

That doesn't mean I am absolving muslims of the blame, they could've shown largesse. And even today, leaders of both communities can arrive at a peaceful resolution, but then as long as you can assert power and win votes, why extinguish the fire?

Rage and Sukerchakia like this.
  17. KS

:yo: you could take some online lessons on political correctness and diplomatic talk.

18. Singh

To me it is not debatable.
    But then perhaps you have a better understanding because you have a "Shree Ram" avatar, and I don't.

I would classify this as chauvinism. Not borne out of any particular love for Ram. As they say do as Ram did, and follow what Krishna said.

Sorry for being blunt, and rude. I am just voicing my opinion.

19. Singh

Practice what you preach much ?

20. yeti

yeti New Member

My view is that muslims should of handed over the site it was unfortunate what happened but Lord Rams temple must be built

21. Iamanidiot

@Singh

The forces that Babri unleashed are yet to be fathomed that is true

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015