'We would prefer Indian goods over Chinese' - S.Korea

amoy

S.Korea is so short of workforce that each years thousands of work permits r issued to Nepalis for heavy labor mainly in construction etc. The monthly pay may b around $2,000. After years of toil many Nepalis return with savings to start up their small businesses like guest houses.

It also encourages Korean Chinese to work as blue-collars in Korea, as well as Korean diaspora fm Central Asia. Per SK law those of Korean descent overseas r entitled to SK citizenship (for which China protested). The population of Korean minority is on the decline in China.

CJK rank top 3 in the world's shipbuilding.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
I agree that Chinese strategy of undercutting on price has worked. It has brought the mighty Japanese to their knees.
As I said earlier, China has its strengths. Informed Indians always acknowledge China's strengths.
has it brought Jap to knees ? or has Jap used China for low cost of labour and itself shifted to
niche their products at a higher level ?

China as you say may have their strengths but the thread is about Korea neither is it about "infomed indians"
so your observations while arguably correct may have their application better on some other thread
and Koreans like myself may prefer Indian products over china's even if they cost more
problem of course is , we are not making them .

we have a lot of china mobile phones here in europe ...... - i wouldnt look at them
Korea is perhaps saying the same thing as myself and i dare say many others like me .

Last edited:

no smoking

Country flag
i did mention price in my earlier post.
Yes, but you didn't mention the link between price and quality.
Let's put this way:

If Western products are generally sold 100 dollars for 100% quality;
Then Chinese are selling their products at 40 dollars for 50% quality;
What is Indian suppliers doing? 80 dollars for 60% quality.

If I am rich enough, certainly western products will be my choice.
However, for those from poor families which can't afford the best, which one would they chose?

no smoking

Country flag
There are 2 types of Inferior quality CCP (Cheap Chinese Product) buyers -

1. First Time Buyers - There is a chunk of population who belong to Lower Middle Class Category. They make the mistake by purchasing CCP and later upgrade them by moving to Standard products. This category of buyers are primarily less informed about quality of CCP and do not consider long term utility. Their quest is on meeting the immediate needs. They purchase them because of the availability of the CCP. Later they realize that they made the mistake by considering the "Cheap" aspect.
2. Disposable Needs - This is the other category who purchase of CCP for one time use or short term utility. This also include who deliberately purchase same Cheap Chinese Product multiple times so as to avoid a sudden high value expenditure by purchasing a quality product.

The availability of these products in the market is to be blamed. Govt allowed import of these products and the local businessmen took the advantage by positioning these products as Standard products. Govt did not provide the quality guidelines on import of Chinese goods. Ultimately they are taking toll on the quality products from China as people developed a negative perception about Chinese products as a whole. This is the reason people protest when the govt plan for a high quality tech purchase from China.

Regarding the second part of your concern, yes this did not happen overnight, nor the perception against the Chinese products developed overnight. I doubt about further growth in the Import of Chinese goods in India. It will rather be stagnant in value ($$$) and the volume will decrease.
Oh, really, for more than 14 years, you people was still unable to develop this perception? 14 years is not long enough?

DingDong

Country flag
Oh, really, for more than 14 years, you people was still unable to develop this perception? 14 years is not long enough?
Most of the Chinese exports to India are non-essential in nature. This trade imbalance will bite China back.

sgarg

Are you following Russian script or you have comprehension issue?
I bought a Bajaj electrical appliance few months back. Bajaj is a most trusted company. When I read the box closely, I realized the appliance is made in China.

A large number of Indian companies are unable to compete with Chinese imports and have shifted to importing from China (this causing loss of jobs in India).

The current government is trying to fix it by increasing investment in factories that can produce economically.

sgarg

Of the last 3 LCD TVs and 3 LCD computer monitors that I have bought in last 10 years, four are made in China.
@brational, your argument is wrong. The bulk (90%) of Chinese goods sold in India (by value) are items that most people are using everyday.

Last edited by a moderator:

brational

Country flag
I bought a Bajaj electrical appliance few months back. Bajaj is a most trusted company. When I read the box closely, I realized the appliance is made in China.

A large number of Indian companies are unable to compete with Chinese imports and have shifted to importing from China (this causing loss of jobs in India).

The current government is trying to fix it by increasing investment in factories that can produce economically.
In that way all electronic products are made in china, even samsung india imports handsets manufactured by Samsung China. Does it make sMsung a Chinese company? Does samsung lack quality and cheap?

Bajaj is doing what the indian businessmen are doing. Probably bajaj is importing some quality products but ask baj how they are facing competition from other CCP.

As per your calculation, if modi's make in india realize, all products made in India will be Indian products.

On the contrary, you are losing your arguement as Made in India India products are highly competitive all over the world. Look Samsung, lg etc are exporting from India. Suzuki, hyundai, honda all export india made cars.

Last edited:

sgarg

@brational, a product made by Samsung China will be counted as a Chinese product. Similarly software made by IBM India will be counted as an Indian product.

This is the official definition. The huge trade deficit that India has with China is on the back of electronic items.

brational

Country flag
Xiaomi is setting up a maufacturing unit in India. Then we Indians must take the pride on Products manufactured by xiaomi India as Indian products.

ghost

Sir,I think you and @brational are confusing Chinese brand quality to made in china goods quality.There is a difference between the two,most of the companies produce there component in China because they have develop a system to produce goods economically.The quality of a product does not depend on where it is manufactured but which brand it represent.Each brand has certain standard of quality which they maintain IRRESPECTIVE OF WHERE THEY ARE MANUFACTURED,western brand will maintain this standard or else shift to other manufacturer,same goes for Indian and other major brands.However Chinese brands compromise with quality over cheap prices,that is the basic difference between Chinese and other brands.

Hence you cannot raise question on the quality of china made products , as it is the responsibility of the brand to maintain its quality.However you can raise question on quality of Chinese brands,which prefer economics of scale hence compromise with quality.

brational

Country flag
Sir,I think you and @brational are confusing Chinese brand quality to made in china goods quality.There is a difference between the two,most of the companies produce there component in China because they have develop a system to produce goods economically.The quality of a product does not depend on where it is manufactured but which brand it represent.Each brand has certain standard of quality which they maintain IRRESPECTIVE OF WHERE THEY ARE MANUFACTURED,western brand will maintain this standard or else shift to other manufacturer,same goes for Indian and other major brands.However Chinese brands compromise with quality over cheap prices,that is the basic difference between Chinese and other brands.

Hence you cannot raise question on the quality of china made products , as it is the responsibility of the brand to maintain its quality.However you can raise question on quality of Chinese brands,which prefer economics of scale hence compromise with quality.
Thanks for correction. From the very beginning I was not talking about foreign brands made in China.
The Korean diplomat said so only because Chinese goods lack quality hence they would prefer Indian Goods.

sgarg

Sir,I think you and @brational are confusing Chinese brand quality to made in china goods quality.There is a difference between the two,most of the companies produce there component in China because they have develop a system to produce goods economically.
I am afraid the whole value addition chain is in China in case of many many products that are branded multinational. For example the electrical appliance from Bajaj has only Bajaj name. In reality it is a completely Chinese product.

If you buy Fisher Price toys in USA, these are complete made in China with zero value addition in USA.

Just a brand name does not make that much a difference as you may think. These factories are in China. Goods are made with Chinese labour.

India has set up so many SEZ all across India. 30% of India's export is from SEZ. These will be called Indian goods overseas even if stamp is a foreign brand. For example, when you buy a garment is USA that is fabricated in India, the label does say "made in India" even if brand is some American company.

You cannot so easily differentiate between a foreign brand and a Chinese brand. Some Chinese brands are very good too. For example Lenovo makes very good personal computers.

sgarg

@brational, you are probably talking about cheap footwear, toys, and plastic items which come from China and can be seen in discount shops all over India. The value of these goods is not so high as you think. Bulk of Chinese trade is in branded goods.

sgarg

South Korea can buy from India. There are plenty of American, European, Korean and Japanese companies that have factories in India. So even if they have difficulty buying an Indian brand, there are choices with non-Indian brands.

Mr Modi is absolutely correct on giving weight to factories. India has surplus labour which has to be employed. We have limited land resources. The only option available is factories.

ghost

I am afraid the whole value addition chain is in China in case of many many products that are branded multinational. For example the electrical appliance from Bajaj has only Bajaj name. In reality it is a completely Chinese product.

If you buy Fisher Price toys in USA, these are complete made in China with zero value addition in USA.

Just a brand name does not make that much a difference as you may think. These factories are in China. Goods are made with Chinese labour.

India has set up so many SEZ all across India. 30% of India's export is from SEZ. These will be called Indian goods overseas even if stamp is a foreign brand. For example, when you buy a garment is USA that is fabricated in India, the label does say "made in India" even if brand is some American company.

You cannot so easily differentiate between a foreign brand and a Chinese brand. Some Chinese brands are very good too. For example Lenovo makes very good personal computers.
Sir,
Goods produced in China will be considered as Made In China ,irrespective of the brand they represent.A phone will be made in China even though it will represent western brand Apple,the guarantee of the quality of that phone is western "brand" Apple not its place of manufacture "made in china".

Tomorrowif Ferrari start manufacturing in Nepal,it will maintain the standard quality for which Ferrari is known for.So irrespective of where goods are made its up to the brand to "set and maintain "its standard quality.Right now manufacturing in China is allowing them to maintain their standard of quality at the cheapest available cost,once other areas provide them with same standard of quality , skilled labor at a more cheaper rate they will shift there.Simple business you go for the best option available at cheapest rate for the same "standard quality".

The onus is on Bajaj to make sure that there goods meet the standard of quality set by Bajaj,if they are able to produce the same quality and quantity in India at "cheaper cost" they will shift their manufacturing to India.A brand is the guarantee of the "QUALITY" not the" place of manufacture".I agree some Chinese brand may have good quality,but still people prefer other brands for high end goods.

Last edited:

brational

Country flag
South Korea can buy from India. There are plenty of American, European, Korean and Japanese companies that have factories in India. So even if they have difficulty buying an Indian brand, there are choices with non-Indian brands.

Mr Modi is absolutely correct on giving weight to factories. India has surplus labour which has to be employed. We have limited land resources. The only option available is factories.
Brand values matter the most. The quality part is associated with it. Why Hidesign's products(leather) are the most saught after Indian product in the world? It is because of the quality, not the price. Adidas, nike, puma's india made apparel are far better than what shiv naresh is selling. We are capable of producing quality goods but failing in creating Brands.

The same factory produce adidas and shiv naresh apparel and meeting their specific quality requiements

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles