Award winning film producer opposes Hindi imposition and correctly calls it a regional language

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by k murali, Feb 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k murali

k murali Regular Member

National Award-winning filmmaker Adoor Gopalakrishnan on Sunday said though Hindi was a “beautiful language” and it should be counted as a regional one, it should not be imposed on others.

“Hindi is a very beautiful language. There are very fine writers in Hindi, no doubt about that, but you cannot impose Hindi over and above others... not only administratively but even otherwise,” he said on the sidelines of the second edition of Gateway LitFest here.
    http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/hindi-cant-be-imposed-on-others/article8264695

3. k murali

k murali Regular Member

@Dark Soul
    every superpower on earth have single unifying language and culture.
    China - N. Chinese
    US - English
    Japan - Japanese
    Russia - Russian
    Germany - German etc etc.
    hy am I posting it here. Because the thread on accepting Hindi as national language started by dark soul was closed. I want to reply to dark soul

Dark soul posted
    "
    every superpower on earth have single unifying language and culture.
    China - N. Chinese
    US - English
    Japan - Japanese
    Russia - Russian
    Germany - German etc etc."

Do you know all these countries are uni-language countries. Your India is not. That is why we need English which is international language as official languAge

4. Indx TechStyle

Indx TechStyle Perfaarmance Naarmal Senior Member

This is very unfortunate. :( People must understand that a Nation with 22 official and more than 800 unofficial languages can't be unified easily.

We picked a language not for some superiority but for unification. If you guys have a problem with Hindi, ask government for some other language.
    I don't think Hindi speakers (most) would object.

If you go anywhere in countries like US, familiarity will be seen in social environment everywhere.
    If there's no unity in people, development is useless.

@Superdefender @Gessler @Chinmoy

And please @k murali , if you don't want Hindi as National Language, your community must ask for some other language which is Indian.
    Why western? I have created plenty of threads on western hypocrisy. Their moves do not make them even spitable. :mad:

OneGrimPilgrim and Gessler like this.
  5. Panjab47

Panjab47 सर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट्टादेवकल्पादृढ़व्रता|੧੫| Banned

Western Hypocrisy is western godliness to a melech who worships them.

6. Gessler

Gessler Regular Member

In India, we do really need a language that can bridge the gap between some states. This unifying language, traditionally, should have been Sanskrit...but unfortunately the various cultures of India had started to lean more toward regionalism rather than nationalism. Two aspects are to blame;

1) The British divide-and-rule policy. I hang my head in shame that a lot of kingdoms/castes in India had sacrificed our resources to the British for their help in order to defeat their rivals/enemies. Some of these sects had received titles such as Martial etc. A rather ironic title for a sect/governance which stabbed our peoples in their back at the whims of foreigners.

2) Petty political gains. If there's one Brit thing other than Cricket that Indians fully adopted, it's the above mentioned divide-and-rule policy. Sadly most of the people in India are suckers for hate-speeches, so when some leaders have something to gain by dividing some vote-banks which could help them rise to power, they will employ this hate policy in full force. An example is the Telangana-Andhra split.

After independence, No. 2 is the biggest problem plaguing India's unity. In a country where the media/govt. think people never attain sexual maturity (I mean, even A-graded films are still censored) and therefore need a lot of 'direction', lest they do something stupid...the media remains woefully uncensored in matters regarding political or ethnic importance. Some idiot in a street says something about a sect of people, it becomes national headlines, immediately creating a rift between those two peoples. It's the media which needs censorship.

++

As of the language problem, as I was saying, it would have ideally been Sanskrit but now it's a lost cause. We need English as a basic language for ALL states. No exceptions. Otherwise some states will effectively be unable to communicate with other states' people. A disaster that will be.

After English, a secondary & tertiary language can be there. This should be the choice of each state, some might go for primary+secondary...tertiary can be optional. Parents/student's choice.

I personally support the idea of having Hindi mandatory atleast until Class V, because if the language is initiated at an early age, the student will not have any problem understanding it's basics even in future. After that, the entertainment industry should take care of keeping interest.

Personally I had Hindi in school till V, after that I did open schooling, where I chose only 1 language subject; English. Today I'm unable to read or write Hindi because I never found any opportunity or need to do so after I got out of mainstream schooling. But thanks to Bollywood, I can understand spoken Hindi & talk almost perfectly.

I feel that at a bare minimum, 90% of Indians should be able to understand Hindi in one way or the other. A good knowledge of English will get you anywhere you want to go in the high/medium circles...but let's face it, most of India lives in villages. Logically, any educated inter-state employees would only go to work in the cities, so they don't face any problem most of the time.

--

Idealistically, which language to learn should be the individual person's choice or that of their parents. But that would only be a dream of a society! As of today, it is still the state's call to decide what a person in their jurisdiction should do.

7. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

thread closed. @k murali --there are 100 threads you have already created on this topic. You will get a ban if you don't come out of your propaganda mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.