Average Heights of Indians for different states

pmaitra

He probably has a tall-girl fetish. :)
I guess so. He'll surely like Chinese girls. They are so fit, and like wearing short pants/skirts, that's hell fall head over their heels. :D

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Why lucky? :confused:
Well, lucky because imho, a man and his woman shouldn't have a lot of difference in their heights. It just looks better if they are of comparable heights. But that, is my personal opinion.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Well am 5'11" and was the third shortest in my class......So that explains a lot. BTW am from Chennai

drkrn

While the later part of you post is factually correct, your disagreeing with the emboldened part with a "No" is wrong.

Just think rationally. Infants do not have teeth, but as it grows, it develops teeth. Does that tell you that milk, a liquid, is the complete food for humans?

Not sure what you are disagreeing with. Whether human's milk or cow's milk, either way, it is not a complete food for humans.
for the first 6 months of life the best food for a infant is always mothers breast milk.composition of human milk varies a lot from animals
after 6 months we should start weaning as mothers milk is insufficient to catch up the requirements of a growing baby

why people of west are taller than us??
its because of animals in colder areas grow very big with short appendages,more fat in body composition to suite the environment, race too is a contributory factor though.people living at very higher altitude are short and have a big ,broad chest this too is accommodation changes

quality and amount of food is another major factor which eventually decides the build ofcourse

pmaitra

for the first 6 months of life the best food for a infant is always mothers breast milk.composition of human milk varies a lot from animals
after 6 months we should start weaning as mothers milk is insufficient to catch up the requirements of a growing baby

why people of west are taller than us??
its because of animals in colder areas grow very big with short appendages,more fat in body composition to suite the environment, race too is a contributory factor though.people living at very higher altitude are short and have a big ,broad chest this too is accommodation changes

quality and amount of food is another major factor which eventually decides the build ofcourse
Largely agree, except for the blue part. Reason below:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Short/petite girls are better than tall girls any day. Though ideally you should find someone around the same height as yourself.

drkrn

Largely agree, except for the blue part. Reason below:

an appendage means tail,nose,ear size etc
Google Image Result for http://bioweb.uwlax.edu/bio203/s2007/shah_rach/AfricanElephant111.jpg

the above one is african elephant
now below is indian elephant

Google Image Result for http://www.walkthroughindia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/IndianElephant.jpg

see the difference.very big ears in african,small in indian.big appendages lead to loss of heat as more body surface area, thats why animals in colder places have small appendages
Google Image Result for http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZRild8aXshU/T51M2XHQrUI/AAAAAAAAATM/5ExHL0NBgR0/s1600/polar-bear-endangered-rule-obama.jpg
you see this polar bear.its very big but its ears and nose are very small to its body size.
horns of the antelope doesn't have blood supply so no heat loss so no problem

pmaitra

an appendage means tail,nose,ear size etc
Google Image Result for http://bioweb.uwlax.edu/bio203/s2007/shah_rach/AfricanElephant111.jpg

the above one is african elephant
now below is indian elephant

Google Image Result for http://www.walkthroughindia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/IndianElephant.jpg

see the difference.very big ears in african,small in indian.big appendages lead to loss of heat as more body surface area, thats why animals in colder places have small appendages
Google Image Result for http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZRild8aXshU/T51M2XHQrUI/AAAAAAAAATM/5ExHL0NBgR0/s1600/polar-bear-endangered-rule-obama.jpg
you see this polar bear.its very big but its ears and nose are very small to its body size.
horns of the antelope doesn't have blood supply so no heat loss so no problem
I see what you are saying. More surface area to lose heat? Makes sense, but I wonder whether elephant is a fine example. Don't forget the woolly mammoth. It could be a trend, but not a causation.

drkrn

I see what you are saying. More surface area to lose heat? Makes sense, but I wonder whether elephant is a fine example. Don't forget the woolly mammoth. It could be a trend, but not a causation.
remember its not body surface area alone, its body surface area to total weight. the wooly mammoth has less body surface area to its weight compared to us.thats why it survives in such cold climate.polar animals have very high amount of fat under their skin
simple way to undrstand, a new born has very high body surface area to his height so he looses heat very rapid.thats why we wrap them to prevent hypothermia

an appendage extra function is for maintaining body heat.there fore they never store fat.have you ever seen nose or ear getting fatty even in very morbidly obese people.. never

its just plain physiology

pmaitra

remember its not body surface area alone, its body surface area to total weight. the wooly mammoth has less body surface area to its weight compared to us.thats why it survives in such cold climate.polar animals have very high amount of fat under their skin
simple way to undrstand, a new born has very high body surface area to his height so he looses heat very rapid.thats why we wrap them to prevent hypothermia

an appendage extra function is for maintaining body heat.there fore they never store fat.have you ever seen nose or ear getting fatty even in very morbidly obese people.. never

its just plain physiology
You might be right, but look at dogs, for example the American Eskimo or German Spitze below:

Why is its mouth open? Because, it is feeling hot (yes, it is standing in the snow), because dogs lose heat through their tongue, and very little via their body, including the appendages. This is more pronounced in case of those with more fur.

Now let us look at the woolly mammoth and the elephant:

What you are saying is probably correct (I was probably wrong), that the woolly mammoth has smaller ears. However, they also have a lot more 'wool' on their body to preserve heat.

So, the analogy that increased surface area leads to quicker heat loss is correct for the heat sink of a motorcycle engine (below), it does not hold true for all animals.

Now, compare the ears of an Indian stray dog and an arctic fox. Do you see much difference in size?

Finally, check out a Siberian Tiger and a Bengal Tiger:

drkrn

You might be right, but look at dogs, for example the American Eskimo or German Spitze below:

Why is its mouth open? Because, it is feeling hot (yes, it is standing in the snow), because dogs lose heat through their tongue, and very little via their body, including the appendages. This is more pronounced in case of those with more fur.

Now let us look at the woolly mammoth and the elephant:

What you are saying is probably correct (I was probably wrong), that the woolly mammoth has smaller ears. However, they also have a lot more 'wool' on their body to preserve heat.

So, the analogy that increased surface area leads to quicker heat loss is correct for the heat sink of a motorcycle engine (below), it does not hold true for all animals.

Now, compare the ears of an Indian stray dog and an arctic fox. Do you see much difference in size?

Finally, check out a Siberian Tiger and a Bengal Tiger:

actually the 1st pic- a very good example of extremities of animal acclimatisation to surroundings.
1.you pointed out that american dog/Eskimo dog.they have very limited or no sweat glands at all( sweat glands help in decreasing body temperature,thats why we sweat a lot in summer) an adaptation for preventing heat loss
even normal (in countries like india)dogs have very less sweat glands over body so they keep their tongue outside in summer to bring body temp down.you will understand this well if you have a dog

2nd.do you know polar bears eat snow to bring their body temperature down! amazing isn't it
i too didn't believe this first.its because- the polar animals have thick coat of fat called " blubber" a heat insulator so effective that it has to eat snow

3rd.have you observed some thing in common for animals in cold areas- they are predominantly white-
reason camouflage with background,may be even to do with heat preservation( may be not sure, white absorbs/emits heat less than black)

now coming to elephants
there is a concept called basal metabolic rate.
it gives amount of heat generated by your cellular activities in the body
see a100 kg mans bmr is obviously more than a man weighing 50kgs right.but surface area is not much different

see how is it. if a sphere and cube of same mass are taken cube has more surface area than sphere

the mammoth is very big than normal elephant but its bmr is many times than the elephant,its heat preservation is better

3rd observe stray dogs nose and arctic fox nose which one is small??arctic ones is.your pic is good example
brother i feel still the ears of arctic fox in the pic is smaller to its body proportion to a stray dog

pmaitra

I did not end it with a simile after my height did i?

Nothing wrong in mentioning height but mentioning with pride about something you had no part of is funny!
Simile and smiley are not the same.

Ajesh

Don't believe that eating rice is not good for height, being a keralite I know people back eat lot of nutritious brown rice and most of the men on my dads side are tall, I touch 5 10 , 5 11 and most of my younger cousins are tall,

each local diet is there for a reason and cannot be faulted

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Indians even if they are tall tend to have small frames and narrow shoulders except those with significant west asian input in their genes like the Jatts and other North Indian groups. Iranian people are tall and robust just like North Indians and even more so than the Arabs and the turks. This is why Iranians dominate in strength sports like weightlifting, wrestling etc.. A similar culture exists in North India.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles