Australian U turn on Uranium?

trackwhack

lethalforce,
I'm not saying the Hyde act, I'm concerned about the IAEA safeguards. all nuclear reactors for which we import fuel would have to be put under IAEA safeguards. this one rally kills me. for example china buys fuel from australia, but doesn't open it's reactors for IAEA inspection. all they have to do is send report to the IAEA every six months or so to indicate how much they imported and that's just it. the way we have put all the reactors under IAEA safeguards really bothers me alot. BJP had a point and no wonder they crying foul about this. But one good think is the liability clause could become a bargaining chip in future nuclear discussions.
You're right sukish but we have rights over the spent fuel and what we do with that is none of their business. What we intend to do with that is send it to our FBR's to generate more fuel. :)

sukhish

All the Fast breeder reactors are on the military side off limits to IAEA. Don't worry about a thing. This is the best part of the nuclear deal. Indigenous uranium goes to military reactors no accountability to anyone. Imported uranium goes to civilian reactors full accountability and accesibility to IAEA.
that's the crux of the problem, all imported reactors under IAEA, NPT countries don't even have to do with that.

Country flag
that's the crux of the problem, all imported reactors under IAEA, NPT countries don't even have to do with that.
who cares they are civilian reactors just BS, and there are many side deals in space and defense along with these reactor purchases.

sukhish

You're right sukish but we have rights over the spent fuel and what we do with that is none of their business. What we intend to do with that is send it to our FBR's to generate more fuel. :)
once the fuel is imported it will under safeguards in perpectuity. we can only re-process the spent fuel under IAEA safeguarded facilities.

trackwhack

once the fuel is imported it will under safeguards in perpectuity. we can only re-process the spent fuel under IAEA safeguarded facilities.
Correct, but we dont need the fuel for weapons. We need it to run our future reactors. So it is a n on-issue. Like I said before I am as pissed of as anyone about the fact that IAEA gets to inspect our installations. But we had to do this to get access to fuel. The NPT is bollocks. It wont be long before the organization dissolve. In my estimates, when thorium starts replacing uranium as the primary fuel source, NPT will be buried under a mound of old termite ridden documents.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Richard Broinowski:

If only selling Australian uranium to India were as clear-eyed and simple a solution to bilateral relations as Rory Medcalf suggests. The actual situation is a lot more complex. First he asserts that there is no conspiracy (except in the minds of the 'left') between President Obama's visit and Prime Minister Gillard's announcement. According to The Australian on 16 November, however, Gillard's decision came after talks with the Obama Administration, which viewed the ban as a roadblock to greater engagement between Washington and New Delhi. It is likely that the 'talks' were a quiet word Obama had with Gillard in the margins of APEC in Hawaii. Her announcement is consistent with her predisposition to follow Washington's lead on every aspect of foreign policy.

Second, like many advocates of uranium sales to India, Medcalf suggests that this would instill confidence and allow the full bilateral relationship to flourish. This is to concur with Indian propaganda, but it is far from the truth. Poor relations and missed opportunities to change things began with mutual dislike when Australia refused India's invitation to join the non-aligned movement in the late 1940s, and consolidated in mutual distrust between Menzies and Nehru in the 1950s. Ever since, we have actively tended to marginalise India in regional forums, including keeping it out of APEC. India's cultural disdain for Australia runs deep, and it is going to take much more than selling them uranium to change that.

Third, Medcalf argues that selling India uranium will reinforce our foreign policy, security and economic interests. On the contrary, it will enhance India's ambitious nuclear weapons program, which far from being 'small', is driven by an urgent timetable for multiple nukes for land, sea and air delivery platforms to match China's. Our uranium, even if confined to fuel India's civil reactors, will free up other reserves for use in its weapons program and increase an arms race in the unstable South Asian region, and between India and China.

Until Gillard's announcement, Australia maintained a rule, conceived by Mr Justice Fox in 1975 and endorsed by successive Liberal and Labor governments, that we would not sell uranium to non-signatories to the NPT. Yielding to commercial pressure, our bilateral safeguards attaching to uranium sales were gradually attenuated over the years, but not this cardinal principle. Now it is likely to be abolished, providing a precedent for many signatories to the NPT to question their own adherence to the Treaty. If India can get away with all the benefits of not joining, why can't they walk away from it and pursue their own? Why, China will ask, did they have to sign the NPT if India does not? And what will be our response to Pakistan?
Reader ripostes: Uranium and the alliance

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The above was a reader's response to this article

Uranium U-turn welcome, overdue

by Rory Medcalf - 15 November 2011 2:34PM

What a week in Australian foreign policy.

Two days before President Obama's visit, which will likely mark a pivot to a truly Indo-Pacific strategic vision by Washington and Canberra, Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard has publicly declared her support for safeguarded uranium exports to India.

These two things are connected – not as some conspiracy (though some on the left will see the timing as suspicious), but rather because it is about time we sent a signal that we recognise an emerging India as a vital and trusted part of a stable Indo-Pacific regional order. To be sure, the eve-of-Obama timing was at least a bit clumsy. It would have been better if the Prime Minister's statement had come earlier. Australia is embracing India strictly for its own reasons, not Washington's.

But in any case, Gillard's move is welcome and overdue. It is high time the Australian Labor Party developed a contemporary policy allowing uranium exports to help India produce much-needed electricity.

I have seen both sides of this issue, first as an arms control diplomat and then as a diplomat on posting in India. In 1998 I was a junior official writing talking points condemning India for its nuclear tests. From 2000-2003 I worked in New Delhi, watching India's foreign and security policy evolution first-hand and trying to improve Australia-India relations after the damage from our failed, moralistic 1998 stance. From 2004 to February 2007 I monitored the changing Asian strategic order from inside Australia's peak intelligence agency.

Since my first opinion piece calling for a change of Labor policy on uranium in April 2007 I have been an open supporter of improved relations with India. And now I try to balance realistic assessments of the Asian nuclear and strategic order with my advocacy of a true strategic partnership with India as part of Australia's wider approach to an era of Chinese, Indian and sustained American power and influence. Part of this work involves close consultations with prominent Indians from across politics, media, diplomacy, business and journalism.

All of this makes me well aware that the question of tempering Australia's activist nuclear diplomacy with its need for better India ties is a tough call needing proper debate. But on balance, Australia's foreign policy, security and economic interests are all served by a change of policy on uranium.

Labor's existing policy overturned Prime Minister John Howard's bold decision in 2007 to begin negotiating uranium exports to India. At that point Australia was poised to be on the leading edge of nuclear engagement with India; instead, the Labor policy reversal ceded some of that ground to the US, Canada, Kazakhstan, Japan, France, Russia and fairly much any other nuclear supplier.

Of course, Labor could and should have gone to the 2007 election with the same policy as Howard – it would have won hands-down anyway – and then four years of delay and frustration in Australia-India relations could have been avoided. Instead, when Labor overturned its restricted 'three mines' policy on uranium mining, the offset for Labor's left was the reaffirmation of the NPT-only export rule, making India a very large and disappointed sacrificial lamb.

The policy of exporting only to countries that have joined the Non-Proliferation Treaty – a treaty that India is literally unable to sign – is unsustainable. The NPT only allows countries that tested the bomb before 1967 to possess nuclear arms, so India would need to surrender its small atomic arsenal before signing. Of course, it cannot do that while China and Pakistan possess nuclear arms.

Yet in other ways, India is a good non-proliferation citizen. Unlike China or Pakistan, it has never helped other countries acquire the bomb. And it has signed up to putting all its new reactors under safeguards for purely civil use. Yet we have been pointlessly telling India 'we do not trust you'. That is a contradictory message at a time when we are trying to engage strategically and economically with India as this century's third-largest economy and the world's biggest democracy.

Of course we need to apply proper conditions and safeguards to ensure civilian use of our uranium, and if India has a problem with those safeguards then any deal would and should be off. But even then, at least there would be an end to Labor's outdated and discriminatory policy – a refusal even to talk about uranium with India, while we export to China and Russia.

Let the real debate begin.

Uranium U-turn welcome, overdue

SHASH2K2

Australian defence minister Stephen Smith supports uranium sales to India

MELBOURNE: Australian Defence Minister Stephen Smith has backed Prime Minister Julia Gillard's move to revoke the ban on uranium exports to India, citing New Delhi's exemplary track record on nuclear non-proliferation.

Smith also defended the Prime Minister for not formally consulting her cabinet before the major announcement on this policy shift, contending it was her prerogative to take the matter to the cabinet, or go it alone.

The Defence Minister said Gillard's move enjoyed high-level support in the government, including from Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd.

Arguing in favour of the sale of uranium to India, Smith said India's nuclear track record was exemplary and the country had zealously guarded its nuclear expertise.

"There's no evidence over the years that India has in any way proliferated so far as uranium or nuclear materials or nuclear expertise (is concerned)," he was quoted as saying by AAP.

Most importantly, he said, the prime minister and foreign minister were in agreement about reversing the sales ban to India, which is not a signatory to the nuclear non-proliferation treaty (NPT).

Gillard last week said she would take a proposal to allow India to buy Australian uranium to a Labor party vote next month.

Smith defended Gillard for not taking up the matter with the cabinet before making her announcement.

"It's not the case that the foreign minister had no notice," he said.

"Just as my office was advised the night before, so he received some advice. I don't regard that as a big point," he said.

The Australian move marks a major shift in the nuclear policy of the country that had hitherto refused to lift the ban on uranium sales to NPT non-signatories.

Zebra

Country flag
'Selling uranium to India will be good for Australian economy'

Julia Gillard / November 20, 2011, 0:58 IST

Prime Minister: I want to outline my approach to a number of issues at the forthcoming Australian Labor Party national conference. First, I want to deal with the question of selling uranium to India. The Labor Party's current position prevents us from selling uranium to India because it is not a part of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT). The time has come for the party to change this stance. I believe this for three reasons.

First,
selling uranium to India will be good for the Australian economy and for Australian jobs. If I can just give you some quick statistics: Australia is the world's third largest supplier of uranium. Uranium contributes over $750 million to our economy, creating over 4,200 jobs. India is expected to increase its use of nuclear power from its current three percent of electricity generation to 40 per cent by 2050. India is our fourth biggest export market, a market worth nearly $16 billion to Australia with enormous potential to grow. I think these figures give us a sense of the size and scale of the economic opportunity for Australia in the future. As India rises and brings hundreds of millions of people out of poverty, it will need more energy. It is looking at supplying 40 per cent of the energy need through nuclear energy. We are a very big supplier of uranium, so having access to this new and growing market is good

Second,
I believe this will be one way of taking a step forward in our relationship with India. We have a good relationship with India. It is the world's largest democracy, a stable one and we have worked on our links with India. As I have described to our people before, Australia faces a unique set of opportunities in this Asian century, where we live in the right region of the world that will see strong economic growth. India as a rising giant will be a part of this economic growth.

Third,
I believe this change should take place as circumstances have developed in the international community. It made sense when there was a widely supported international strategy to bring India into NPT. But the US-India Civil Nuclear Agreement changed the strategy. It effectively lifted the de-facto international ban on cooperation with India in this area. Consequently, given the change in diplomatic circumstances around the world, for us to refuse to budge is all pain with no gain. I believe our national platform should recognise that reality.

Journalist: Now that NPT should no longer be a concern with regard to uranium supply to India, does this open doors for Australia to consider selling uranium to other countries such as Israel?

PM: No, it doesn't, as there's an important issue here with India, which you need to understand, to understand my perspective. India approached the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) in relation to its agreement with the US, that the latter would sell uranium to India. The board of governors of IAEA and NSG agree that the US should be able to sell uranium to India. They got an exemption from NSG; indeed Australia supported this and we are represented on the board of governors of IAEA. At that level, we also supported the arrangements between the US and India.

So, this puts India in a class of its own. When you look at other nations, whether it be Pakistan or Israel, they are not in that same class. Also, as far as I am advised, Israel is not seeking Australian uranium and it doesn't rely on a domestic civil nuclear industry for its power supplies.

Journalist: Prime Minister, the three rationales you mentioned, as guiding your thinking on the India uranium issue, have existed since John Howard made the decision that you are now making, in 2007. So, why has it taken you so long to get a sharp end to the Labor Party's thinking in relation to this issue?

PM: The events that I referred to, the US and India, an agreement to sell and buy uranium, NSG giving India an exemption, the board of governors of IAEA dealing with the question, happened in 2008-2009. So, it is true that just looking at the timeline, these matters could have been discussed at the last conference, but if we'd done that, it would have been before the international community and Australia itself had had the opportunity to observe these new arrangements, bedding down and to make an assessment of them.

( Edited excerpts from Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard's press conference in Canberra on November 15 . )

:: Bharat-Rakshak.com - Indian Military News Headlines ::

Last edited:

Galaxy

Country flag
Stop punishing India, give them uranium

24 NOVEMBER 2011

Prime Minister Julia Gillard has decided to pursue sales of uranium to India and spark a major debate within her own party.

Congratulations Prime Minister, welcome to the 21st Century and policy that was introduced by the Howard government years ago only to be rescinded by the Kevin Rudd when he came to be leader of our nation.

Naysayers from the left of the Labor Party and unsurprisingly all of the Greens Party, reject the sales because India is not a signatory of the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty (NNPT). Let me be clear for the benefit of the Left and their Green allies, the current debate isn't about whether Australia sells uranium but to whom we export it to.

Some point out that India is welcome to buy its uranium elsewhere. But as long as Australia refuses to deal with this issue, Australia's relationship with the world's largest democracy, one of the largest economies and a king pin of security in the Asia-Pacific region will remain stagnant.

From an economic and moral perspective there are merits to re-instating John Howard's policy. Continuing to proffer the merits of a Clean Energy Future, Labor and the Greens can not afford to cross the Prime Minister on this issue.

India needs electricity to liberate some 400 million citizens from poverty. If the Greens have the trillions to build solar farms and wind turbines I'm sure Delhi officials will be on the first carbon neutral plane available to meet with Brown and his Brigade.

As it stands, coal is the only other viable energy source for this nation. If we continue to block uranium supplies to India, they will simply pump more of that supposedly climate changing carbon into the atmosphere.

Perhaps it is opportune to examine the history of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and implications that hold for Australia today and into the future.

The NNPT came into effect in 1970 at a simpler time with regards to nuclear diplomacy. Signatories included the nuclear weapon states, the US, USSR - now Russia, China, France and the UK, who also happen to be the five permanent members of the UN Security Council, harking back to the end of the Second World War. Other signatories were non-nuclear weapon states, and there were a few nations who were suspected of having nuclear weapons who were not signatories.

There are three major areas that the NNPT addresses. The first is non-proliferation, which is the part of the treaty most often referred to in the current debate. This provision means signatories agree that the only nations allowed to possess nuclear weapons are the five nuclear weapon states. No other states can procure nuclear weapons capabilities or sell any material to a nation attempting to procure such a capability.

The second and third parts of the NNPT are not as well known and are often conveniently forgotten for the benefit of ideological arguments used to prevent sales to nations such as India.

The second part relates to disarmament, where signatories agree to reduce and eventually eradicate their weapons capability. With China expanding and modernising its nuclear arsenal, one would question the commitment of the nuclear weapon states to their own treaty.

Additionally, Iran, also a signatory is working very closely with another rogue state, North Korea with the development of nuclear weapons and ballistic missile technology. Yet this is a nation that many on Labor's left would apparently be prepared to sell uranium simply because of a nation's signatory of the NNPT without consideration of other factors. China and Iran proliferate despite having signed the non-proliferation treaty, India abides by the treaty but is not a signatory and Australia rewards dishonest states and punishes a democracy that plays by the rules.

The third part relates to the peaceful use of nuclear power, and the sale of nuclear power generation technology to signatory states.

Some of the nuclear weapon states (such as China and Russia) have a highly questionable record when it comes to the sale of nuclear weapon capabilities, or parts of such capabilities to other nations.

This is in stark contrast to India, who, by all accounts, has an exemplary record in this regard, and all other regards associated with the NNPT apart from the acquisition of a nuclear weapons capability for its own defence needs. In addition to this, of all known nuclear weapons capable nations, India stands alone in explicitly ruling out the first use of nuclear weapons.

The left hand of the Labor Party doesn't know what its far left hand is doing. It is irresponsible for the Prime Minister to workshop this foreign affairs decision in the public sphere to see whether it will float or sink with voting Australia.

If the Prime Minister fails to push this policy through Labor's conference she has the legislative get out of jail free card of no nuclear power in Australia.

But if uranium is too dangerous for personal consumption, how can we morally sell it to everyone else?

Stop punishing India, give them uranium - The Drum Opinion (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
No one has ever accused the Aussies of being the "sharpest tools in the tool box". That said; I am constantly amazed at this argument that comes by various quarters in Aussieland that selling India uranium will free India to to use its own reserves for weapons.

The Aussies should be helping India achieve nuclear parity with China.

I dont understand why these guys think that having a China as the sole nuclear power in South-Asia with vastly greater nuclear weapons capability is in the better interest of the whole Asian region. The risk of a China using its overwhelming nuclear and conventional military power against much weaker smaller Asian countries is far higher than a country like India misbehaving.

China is essentially a dictatorship run by a small coterie of CCP insiders. India is a democracy where major consensus is needed to go war unless it is being attacked.

The way to keep the peace in Asia is for a few countries like India and Australia, Japan to build a military alliance that is strong enough militarily to give the Chinese some pause - make them blink !!

Realistically the only nations that have the any chance of doing that are these 3 countries. The others are too simply too small.

niharjhatn

No one has ever accused the Aussies of being the "sharpest tools in the tool box". That said; I am constantly amazed at this argument that comes by various quarters in Aussieland that selling India uranium will free India to to use its own reserves for weapons.

The Aussies should be helping India achieve nuclear parity with China.

I dont understand why these guys think that having a China as the sole nuclear power in South-Asia with vastly greater nuclear weapons capability is in the better interest of the whole Asian region. The risk of a China using its overwhelming nuclear and conventional military power against much weaker smaller Asian countries is far higher than a country like India misbehaving.

China is essentially a dictatorship run by a small coterie of CCP insiders. India is a democracy where major consensus is needed to go war unless it is being attacked.

The way to keep the peace in Asia is for a few countries like India and Australia, Japan to build a military alliance that is strong enough militarily to give the Chinese some pause - make them blink !!

Realistically the only nations that have the any chance of doing that are these 3 countries. The others are too simply too small.
Wow, a great, well reasoned post by an american, who also aren't known necessarily for being "sharpest tools in the tool box" :D (sorry just joking I got a cousin in America... and well... lets just say that American football isn't the best sport for maintaining brain function :lol:)

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
Wow, a great, well reasoned post by an american, who also aren't known necessarily for being "sharpest tools in the tool box" :D (sorry just joking I got a cousin in America... and well... lets just say that American football isn't the best sport for maintaining brain function :lol:)
Yo, Thambi. Well, lets see ......Spoken like a man who knows diddly squat about American football.

Anshu Attri

Country flag
Thorium is not a fissile element. It is a fertile element.
Fissile means it can be fissioned. Fertile means it has to first capture neutrons to become fissile before being fissioned.

In a thorium reactor, the primary fuel is thorium with a trigger fule like plutonium. The fissile plutonium undergoes fission releasing neutrons. Some of the neutrons will continue nuclear fission by hitting other fissile plutonium atoms while other neutrons bombard thorium, coberting it into fissile Uranium 233. The uranium 233 now become fissile and does the job that plutonium was doing. So at any instant, a thorium nuclear reactor has a large quantity of its fuel as fertile thorium that cannot sustain a nuclear chain rection by itself and hence meltdowns are not likely. Thats why they are safer.

btw, thorium is radioactive, just not a strong gamma or beta emitter.
and its gamma rays which penetrate deep inside our body and beta rays penetrate o.5mm in our tissue..that means superficial effect....

JAISWAL

India's weapons programme no deterrent to Australian uranium exports

Commenting on its decision to allow uranium exports to India, the Australian government this week said that if India hypothetically diverted its domestic uranium into weapons uses following such exports that would be "very upsetting and very bad," but that development nevertheless "would not alter the direction of the Australian government's policy."

Responding to a question from The Hindu on whether resistance to nuclear trade with India in certain international institutions was problematic for this policy decision by Australia, the country's Ambassador to the United States, Kim Beazley, explained that Australian policy in this regard was driven by two considerations.

The first, Ambassador Beazley said during a media interaction organised by the National Press Club's International Correspondents Committee, was a statement of principle: "Yes, we are prepared to sell uranium to India. Previously our position was [that we were] not prepared to sell uranium to India."

Second, he added, the question of the fungibility of the uranium supplies in India had been addressed in the context of the agreement between India and the U.S. in that "The Americans had... got themselves a set of provisions that gave them a tracing capacity to make sure that [the uranium] they supplied India [with], they could trace it to the point where they could be certain that wasn't itself going into the manufacture of weapons. The same would apply to us."

The Ambassador also supplied details explaining why Australia had shifted its stance on the matter, outlining several broad issues.

First, Mr. Beazley noted, the Gillard administration believed that so long as Australia had a nuclear agreement with India that was similar to what the U.S. had, that relationship would be "roughly within fingertip-touching distance" of the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty.

Second, he said, Australia "went down and signed that agreement with the Indians basically not because we need the sales. We sell enough uranium... So that's not important to us. What is important to us is the character of the relationship we have with India, that's why we made the changes."

India had clearly conveyed to Australia that it "found us selling to the Chinese and us selling to the Russians and not selling to them to be something of an insult and that had to be dealt with."

The Ambassador said that it had then become evident to their administration that Australia could not have the sort of relationship with India that it desired if it were operating on a basis that the Indians felt insulted by. "That policy had to change," Mr. Beazley noted.

The Hindu : News / International : India

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Ai bhi wah wah

Tan bhi wah wah!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles