Australia Worried China Buying Up Resources

amoy

Therefore, to believe that economy and strategic requirement are not interdependent is like having a car without wheels!!

I am surprised that you claim to be an Australian but you know more of China than Australia.
Surprised? it's a win-win for both China and Australia each working on their "comparative advantages". Why not tell Saudi to build up their own industrial sectors instead of exporting crude oil?
Simple.

Saudi and Australia are not the same thing!!

It is not to the advantage of Australia to finish her resources and then worry about what will happen.

Australia's value system and strategic vision is Western oriented. And therefore, to assist China beyond a certain limit is detrimental to the Western Alliance.

Australia is a country and its overall opinion in the form of votes matter and not what is the result in one segment of the country. This is called Democracy and it takes time to understand its mechanics!
[I]How much is Australia relying on mining? or how powerful is the lobbyist group for mining sector, as part of a functioning democracy?[/I]
No country will sell out her strategic interest for $.

Rudd did not do lip service for China. he kowtowed as per the Australian press. China should have the goodness to recognise that. Australians have and so they showed him the door!
Rudd kowtowed to China? See what wikileaks tells
Kevin Rudd warned Hillary Clinton to be prepared to use force against China 'if everything goes wrong'
That apart his track record speaks.

He was shown the door because he kowtowed. If indeed Wikileak is right, then that was to impress and show how close he is to the US. Action speaks and not words.

Ohimalaya

sorry about this.

Your post is in quotes and in italics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
HAHAHA! :lol: What's the matter now? Why the sudden cold feet? Australians deserve what's coming to them. Thick-headed jokers (MODs:who can raise a racist pun against the most racist people on earth? not me)

apple

Remember: we don't have steel industry to consume these resources.
Newcastle's smelter shut, but thought that one in SA was still open? Although, understand that that steel is mainly for export.

HAHAHA! :lol: What's the matter now? Why the sudden cold feet? Australians deserve what's coming to them. Thick-headed jokers (MODs:who can raise a racist pun against the most racist people on earth? not me)
Someone whose profile includes the flags of Russia, Japan and Israel(!!!) is calling a country (Australia) which has over 20% of citizens born overseas (which is far in excess of any other Western nation and one of the highest levels on Earth) racist... Confusing :confused:

As has been mentioned, by no_smoking, Rudd was not kicked out because he was "kowtowing" to the Chinese. He was replaced, by his own party, before the election for myriad reasons which aren't relevant to this discussion.

Also, introducing opinion pieces, by individuals connected to the Australian Defense industry, as being demonstrative of Australian public opinion is quite ridiculous.

In the 1950's, Australia was very concerned about Indonesia. During the 60's, Australia and Indonesia had several military engagements. But, as the 60's came to a close, relations between Indonesia and Australia improved and Indonesia posed no real threat to Australia, if indeed it ever did.

But, right through to the end of the Cold War, certain individuals in Australia were repeatedly and loudly proclaiming that Indonesia was a threat to Australia and the Government needed to spend more on the military.

It was all just scaremongering designed to sell product.

Now China has replaced Indonesia. There are no issues between China and Australia

Last edited:

Rage

DFI TEAM
Welcome apple. You make some good points, but our opinions, I think, are borne out of our experiences: of hundreds of Indian students and citizens, who are guests in your country, being subjected to the most deleterious of verbal and physical abuse, with the Australian police apparently inept to do anything about it.

I don't think Australian public opinion is as relevant as it could be, come elections, in say the interval between elections. I'd take the words of defense analysts, foreign policy makers, writers and politicians, etc. to be more reflective of Australian public opinion, than the average Aussie.

apple

Welcome apple. You make some good points, but our opinions, I think, are borne out of our experiences: of hundreds of Indian students and citizens, who are guests in your country, being subjected to the most deleterious of verbal and physical abuse, with the Australian police apparently inept to do anything about it.

I don't think Australian public opinion is as relevant as it could be, come elections, in say the interval between elections. I'd take the words of defense analysts, foreign policy makers, writers and politicians, etc. to be more reflective of Australian public opinion, than the average Aussie.
Ahh, yes the Indian student attacks and the Australian police. Strange that the murderers of three students killed were all arrested by these "inept" police. Even more strange that these three "racist" attacks were conducted by; a white Australian, an Indian citizen and a Sri Lankan citizen. Don't believe the Indian press.

Australian foreign policy is quite clear. We are increasingly committing, or perhaps re-committing to "Continental Defense". This can be seen by our future submarine fleet and the acquistion of F-35s. These acquistions are clearly made with China in mind. That's due to the fact that China is the only potential threat to us and our allies in the near future. But, this doesn't mean there's any problems between our two nations

Doesn't bother me at all if you want to believe the stories posted in this thread. They are collections of ranting by right wing extremists and Defense contractors and bear no semblance to the Australian Govt. foreign policy

Rage

DFI TEAM
Ahh, yes the Indian student attacks and the Australian police. Strange that the murderers of three students killed were all arrested by these "inept" police. Even more strange that these three "racist" attacks were conducted by; a white Australian, an Indian citizen and a Sri Lankan citizen. Don't believe the Indian press.

Australian foreign policy is quite clear. We are increasingly committing, or perhaps re-committing to "Continental Defense". This can be seen by our future submarine fleet and the acquistion of F-35s. These acquistions are clearly made with China in mind. That's due to the fact that China is the only potential threat to us and our allies in the near future. But, this doesn't mean there's any problems between our two nations

Doesn't bother me at all if you want to believe the stories posted in this thread. They are collections of ranting by right wing extremists and Defense contractors and bear no semblance to the Australian Govt. foreign policy
There are far more than "three" Indian students attacked in Australia. There's a thread here, detailing the numerous incidents that have seen Indians become the victims of particularly, and explicitly, racist abuse- that had to be closed down, eventually because the Indians were getting venomous and there were so many incidents that they couldn't keep up. Dig it up.

Australian defense policy is undeniably becoming 'continental', for the threat to its sea-lanes via piracy and China; and the threat to its geo-political influence in New Zealand and Oceania are real. It has followed from the concentric circles approach- that characterises Australia's posture toward its overall defense policy and system of geographical focus, given its commitments to the Middle east and Central Asia, and its policy priority of giving defence to Australia and its main approaches, first.

How am I to take 'your' word that these "right wing extremists and Defense contractors" bear no outcome upon Australian govt. foreign policy ? The defense establishment, brain trusts and foreign office are usually populated in their upper echelons by these right wing 'nuts'. And the military-industrial complex has a significant influence upon defense-posturing and foreign policy, everywhere.

Last edited:

apple

There are far more than "three" Indian students attacked in Australia. There's a thread here, detailing the numerous incidents that have seen Indians become the victims of particularly, and explicitly, racist abuse- that had to be closed down, eventually because the Indians were getting venomous and there were so many incidents that they couldn't keep up. Dig it up.

How am I to take 'your' word that these "right wing extremists and Defense contractors" bear no outcome upon Australian govt. foreign policy ? The defense establishment, brain trusts and foreign office are usually populated in their upper echelons by these right wing 'nuts'. And the military-industrial complex has a significant influence upon defense-posturing and foreign policy, everywhere.
I can't be bothered digging up some post that would almost definitely be based on ridiculous information published by the Indian media. I know what Australia is, and isn't.

There's been far more than three assaults, in Australia, in the time it's been since posting my first post and this one. I mentioned three murders, which are the only cases of violent crime against Indian students I know the details of, have all been solved (or arrests have been made in the most recent case) and none of them have been racially motivated. While the Sri Lankan guy hasn't gone to trial yet, the Indian murderer admitted that he thought the crime he was committing would be blamed on "Racist Australians". Unfortunately for that killer, the Australian police don't read the Indian media. But, I fail to see the relevance that has on this forum, apart from Tshering claiming that Australia is the most racist nation on Earth and that has a bearing on our foreign policy.

But, you're correct to question how I know what Australian's foreign policy is and how it's generated. But, I would say, that present government does not take advice from right wing nut jobs. Also, the Liberal/ National coalition, from my understanding, tends to have good links with serving and ex- Defense Force personnel and likewise aren't to interested in whatever the opinion of "defense think-tanks" is. Rather they develop their policy in conjuction with the defense forces.

This being said, as Rage pointed out, I'm not the Prime Minister. So, I can't definitively discuss Australia's foreign policy

Rage

DFI TEAM
I can't be bothered digging up some post that would almost definitely be based on ridiculous information published by the Indian media. I know what Australia is, and isn't.

There's been far more than three assaults, in Australia, in the time it's been since posting my first post and this one. I mentioned three murders, which are the only cases of violent crime against Indian students I know the details of, have all been solved (or arrests have been made in the most recent case) and none of them have been racially motivated. While the Sri Lankan guy hasn't gone to trial yet, the Indian murderer admitted that he thought the crime he was committing would be blamed on "Racist Australians". Unfortunately for that killer, the Australian police don't read the Indian media. But, I fail to see the relevance that has on this forum, apart from Tshering claiming that Australia is the most racist nation on Earth and that has a bearing on our foreign policy.

But, you're correct to question how I know what Australian's foreign policy is and how it's generated. But, I would say, that present government does not take advice from right wing nut jobs. Also, the Liberal/ National coalition, from my understanding, tends to have good links with serving and ex- Defense Force personnel and likewise aren't to interested in whatever the opinion of "defense think-tanks" is. Rather they develop their policy in conjuction with the defense forces.

This being said, as Rage pointed out, I'm not the Prime Minister. So, I can't definitively discuss Australia's foreign policy
You can't be bothered? Then if YOU, mr. apple, have no respect for the Indian opinion, why are you on an Indian forum? The Indian media is not the only one that shares this opinion, a predominant majority of this vast nation of one billion people does, too.

You know of "three"? But how is what "only you know", relevant to the topic at hand? The issue is far larger, than what your knowledge encompasses, don't you agree? How is that relevant to the thread at hand? It is not. But, since you did deign to respond to his post, it is now my obligation, who shares the same view, to tell you why I think so. And, since by your own admission you lack knowledge beyond those three incidents, it would do well for you to research a bit more, don't you think? To wit, it is exactly this kind of moral ab'struseness and refusal to look at the other side, the side of the victims' in this case, that gets under our skins.

As for the Liberal/National coalition and its links to the defense world, can you tell me that ex-Defense Force personnel are the only ones who have any bearing upon Australian defense policy? What evidence can you give to suggest, that they have the only, or even the most predominant, effect upon Australian defense policy formulation? Obviously, I don't share your mind, mr. apple and therefore can not read it. But I am aware of Australian and Oceanic strategic policy formulation. And I speak to what I know. What would you say to the policy-paper Our Future Defence Challenges written by Robert Ayson of the Australian National University's Graduate Strategy and Defence Programme, that formed the basis for the Defence Vision 2020 ? And the Australian Strategic Policies Institute or the Australian Defence Association?

I am Rage. And yes, I did point that out. Other than that, what can you definitively discuss? What can you bring to the table?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles