Australia to teach Hindi in schools

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Australia is on the right track to place it's bets.

Declaring that Asia's rise is "unstoppable", Australia on Sunday unveiled an ambitious plan aimed at forging deeper links with India and other booming economies of the region, including through teaching languages like Hindi and Mandarin in its schools.

"While Australia was changing — Asia was changing too. Whatever else this century brings, it will bring Asia's return to global leadership, Asia's rise," said Prime Minister Julia Gillard, who was recently on her maiden official visit to India.

"This (Asia's rise) is not only unstoppable, it is gathering pace," Gillard said, releasing a sweeping policy blueprint entitled 'Asian Century White Paper' aimed at maximising links with Asia which will power Australia into the world's top 10 wealthiest nations by 2025.

Above all, success for an open Australia in a middle-class Asia starts in the classrooms, training centres and lecture theatres of this nation, the Prime Minister said.

All Australian schools will engage with at least one school in Asia to support the teaching of a priority Asian language — Mandarin, Hindi, Indonesian or Japanese, she said.

Australia unveils ambitious Asia strategy; to teach Hindi in schools - The Times of India on Mobile

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Australia is on the right track to place it's bets.
With India ? This step is not Indo-Centric, they're gonna teach a bunch of language including Mandarin, Japanese and Indonesian

Or are you referring to Australia aligning themselves with "Asia" rather than the "West" ?

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
New Zealand are already teaching Sanskrit in Schools and Australia going Hindi .. interesting :hmm:

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
Instead of feeling all chuffed ,

Wouldn't it be better, if we take the the cue , and start Introducing languages such as Chinese, french etc in our schools,

I am often hard pressed to find any of my fellow co patriots who are know any foreign language other then English , hardly a foreign language at that where as multilinguals are abound among the westerners.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
What are they gonna get from India's economic boom by learning Hindi?

India is a English nation.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag

Wouldn't it be better, if we take the the cue , and start Introducing languages such as Chinese, french etc in our schools,

I am often hard pressed to find any of my fellow co patriots who are know any foreign language other then English , hardly a foreign language at that where as multilinguals are abound among the westerners.
I think they teach French and German(optional along with Sanskrit) in majority of schools in Delhi atleast till 10th standard. Also, there are talk of including Manadarin in the curriculum.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
With India ? This step is not Indo-Centric, they're gonna teach a bunch of language including Mandarin, Japanese and Indonesian

Or are you referring to Australia aligning themselves with "Asia" rather than the "West" ?
Asia at large.

mikhail

Country flag
at least they have now understood the importance of learning hindi if they want to enter in the hugely lucrative Indian market as Hindi is the mother tongue of more than 400 million people of India as well as the Official language of India!:cool2:this is definitely a bold move by the Australian Government:thumb:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

pmaitra knows German.

blank_quest

Country flag
for the ones who don't know , AIR FM GOLD , teaches different languages on radio. I heard last week they were teaching German on it. :D. No one listens to All India Radio , so sad .

average american

From an education stand point this really dont make in sense........ if you do a little checking you will see theres not much truth to the article.

No room for Hindi & other Indian languages in the National Australian Curriculum, expect Hindi will be like a after school activity, if there is interest, like other activity, chess etc.

No room for Hindi & other Indian languages in the National Australian Curriculum | SAT - South Asia Times

Thats one of the things I like about you guys, you all will believe any thing.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
i started to learn German last year but found it very hard to learn specially the pronunciation of German words are horrible:taunt:.!
German is not that different from English, in my experience, but it was spoken by my family..

I have tried to learn French, Japanese, and Turkish.

mikhail

Country flag
German is not that different from English, in my experience, but it was spoken by my family..

believe me mate it's a very difficult language to learn specially if you are an Indian:rolleyes:!but i guess i don't have any other option other than to learn German as i have some immediate family members living in Germany and plan to go there for further studies in the near future.

Tronic

Yup, I've learnt Russian somewhat, and it's also not too much different than English, though had to give it up because of other priorities in life. Hope to pick it up again after I complete my undergraduate.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles