Indian nuclear submarines

MKM

Country flag
^^^ Where did you find that A-5 can carry only 0.0015kt nuke. If I am not wrong mordern explosives are easily 4-5 times more powerful than TNT. So 1.5 tons of conventional explosives will be equal to 6 tons of TNT. Which is 0.006 KT TNT blast yield. 4 times higher than what you are suggesting. That too only conventional warhead we are talking about not a nuclear one.
I think it illogical to use BMs for conventional warheads as just deploying BM can spark nuclear war as there is always fear of nuclear warfare.
If someone deploys BM you can destroy that with nuclear weapons as you can say they deployed nuclear weapons.
BMs are considered WMD..

Isn't it?

tsunami

Country flag
I think it illogical to use BMs for conventional warheads as just deploying BM can spark nuclear war as there is always fear of nuclear warfare.
If someone deploys BM you can destroy that with nuclear weapons as you can say they deployed nuclear weapons.
BMs are considered WMD..

Isn't it?
May be... But my post was related to the maximum capacity of warhead. Which if nuclear one will be in magatons

Chinmoy

Country flag
Dude.... Do you mean the 1500kg warhead will give a yield of 0.0015kt yield?

Check http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/India/IndiaArsenal.html
http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/India/IndiaArsenal.html
If India has thermonuclear weapons, then A1-A3 should be able to deliver ~250kt of yield.
Yes I was wrong in this matter. I had not taken into account the approx yield or kt/kg. So lets revise the data. But also what we could gather from open source is that during the Pokhran II India had achieved a max yield of 45kt, of thermonuclear blast which could be increased to 200-300 kt yield. But no where we have came across the fact that this is has been adapted for a warhead. As for warhead delivery in the same Pokhran II, India did tested 15kt yield device. Now I am sure that studies and advancement in this field might have increased the yield upto 65 kt. But still the fact that a thermonuclear warhead of 200 kt could be delivered is not yet confirmed officially. So for the sake of simplicity lets assume that as of now we have the capability to deliver a 65 kt yield warhead through missile and 200 kt could be delivered by bombers like Mirage and Rafale.

But inclusion of a Strategic bomber, which could deliver multiple thermonuclear warhead would be a game changer in the neighborhood.

Here I would again request the mods to kindly relocate these posts to any relative thread if it exists.

tsunami

Country flag
Yes I was wrong in this matter. I had not taken into account the approx yield or kt/kg. So lets revise the data. But also what we could gather from open source is that during the Pokhran II India had achieved a max yield of 45kt, of thermonuclear blast which could be increased to 200-300 kt yield. But no where we have came across the fact that this is has been adapted for a warhead. As for warhead delivery in the same Pokhran II, India did tested 15kt yield device. Now I am sure that studies and advancement in this field might have increased the yield upto 65 kt. But still the fact that a thermonuclear warhead of 200 kt could be delivered is not yet confirmed officially. So for the sake of simplicity lets assume that as of now we have the capability to deliver a 65 kt yield warhead through missile and 200 kt could be delivered by bombers like Mirage and Rafale.

But inclusion of a Strategic bomber, which could deliver multiple thermonuclear warhead would be a game changer in the neighborhood.

Here I would again request the mods to kindly relocate these posts to any relative thread if it exists.
Bro why do you think we tested 5 different designs. Those were different designs for different size weight and missiles. Obviously if we have not made any effort to buy any heavy class bombers that means they were designed for missiles. A-3 can carry 2.5 tons of weight to 3500 km. I doubt that A-5 is limited to 1.5 tons only, it should be well over 2 tons and this is the same maximum weight which mirage and Rafale will be able to carry at their strongest hard point.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Bro why do you think we tested 5 different designs. Those were different designs for different size weight and missiles. Obviously if we have not made any effort to buy any heavy class bombers that means they were designed for missiles. A-3 can carry 2.5 tons of weight to 3500 km. I doubt that A-5 is limited to 1.5 tons only, it should be well over 2 tons and this is the same maximum weight which mirage and Rafale will be able to carry at their strongest hard point.
Here I am not talking or mentioning of doubts. Here I am just posting what is there in open for all. What improvements have taken place behind closed doors in all these years is yet to come out in open and till then we could have only speculations and conspiracy theory.
As for design is concerned, no two different design could yield same result. If your thermonuclear design does yield 15kt then it would be a failure. Like wise a design to yield 15kt would not give you 100 kt output. As per record US has achieved and is said to have armed Minuteman with a design that could achieve 2kt/kg although they have tested design to give 5.2kt/kg, but not implemented. So going by the same achievement if we have got in designing, we could say that A5 could deliver a 2000kt or 2Mt yield, but it is not so.
Moreover Mirage and Rafale's could deliver nuclear warhead, but here I am just pointing one reason why we need a dedicated bomber instead of going for multirole fighters to do the job.

Prashant12

Country flag
Another Nuke missile test

BHUBANESWAR: Amidst rising concern of China over successful test firing of ICBM Agni-V, India is contemplating a fresh test of its longest range submarine-launched ballistic missile, code named K-4, which is capable of delivering nuclear warhead over 3,500 km away.

Sources said, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is planning to conduct the test from an undersea platform in the Bay of Bengal by month-end.

An impression of K-4 missile
“The platform is being readied for the test. If everything goes as per the programme, the weapon system, which has caught the attention of enemy nations, will be tested as per schedule,” the source told ‘The Express’ on Sunday.
Though it is yet to be known whether the test would be conducted from a submerged pontoon (replica of a submarine) or the indigenously developed submarine INS Arihant, it would be from a platform nearly 30 feet deep in the sea.

Once the platform is ready, movement of tracking systems and Naval ships to the area of mission will be made, the source informed. This would be third test of the missile even as none of the tests has officially been revealed.

The DRDO, which has designed and developed the missile, had kept the project secret till its first test in March 2014. The missile, world’s best in this class, will have to undergo a couple of more developmental trials before being inducted in the armed forces.

The intermediate range submarine launched ballistic missile (SLBM) is about 12 metres tall with a diameter of 1.3. It weighs around 17 tonnes and can carry a warhead weighing up to 2,000 kg. The missile is powered by solid rocket propellant.

This time an advanced variant of the missile will be tested to validate new technologies incorporated in the system. The test would be for a higher range also,” the source added.
A successful trial of the missile would strengthen the country’s position in the exclusive club of six nations including Russia, USA, France, UK and China which have the capability of firing nuclear tipped missiles from air, land and undersea.

A defence scientist said, this manoeuvrable missile having an innovative system of interlacing in three dimensions can also cruise at a hypersonic speed. “This exceptional feature of the weapon system makes it difficult to be tracked easily and destroyed by any anti-ballistic missile defence system. The missile has a high accuracy of near-zero circular error probable (CEP),” he said.

India has so far planned three missiles in the K-series. While the 700-km range K-15, renamed as B-05 (tested10 times) and 3,500 km range K-4 have been developed, the K-5 will have a striking capability of over 5,000 km. All the K-series missiles are faster, lighter and stealthier.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/sta...ern-another-nuke-missile-test-1557615--2.html

IndianHawk

Country flag

BHUBANESWAR: Amidst rising concern of China over successful test firing of ICBM Agni-V, India is contemplating a fresh test of its longest range submarine-launched ballistic missile, code named K-4, which is capable of delivering nuclear warhead over 3,500 km away.

Sources said, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is planning to conduct the test from an undersea platform in the Bay of Bengal by month-end.

“The platform is being readied for the test. If everything goes as per the programme, the weapon system, which has caught the attention of enemy nations, will be tested as per schedule,” the source told ‘The Express’ on Sunday.
Though it is yet to be known whether the test would be conducted from a submerged pontoon (replica of a submarine) or the indigenously developed submarine INS Arihant, it would be from a platform nearly 30 feet deep in the sea.

Once the platform is ready, movement of tracking systems and Naval ships to the area of mission will be made, the source informed. This would be third test of the missile even as none of the tests has officially been revealed.

The DRDO, which has designed and developed the missile, had kept the project secret till its first test in March 2014. The missile, world’s best in this class, will have to undergo a couple of more developmental trials before being inducted in the armed forces.

The intermediate range submarine launched ballistic missile (SLBM) is about 12 metres tall with a diameter of 1.3. It weighs around 17 tonnes and can carry a warhead weighing up to 2,000 kg. The missile is powered by solid rocket propellant.

This time an advanced variant of the missile will be tested to validate new technologies incorporated in the system. The test would be for a higher range also,” the source added.
A successful trial of the missile would strengthen the country’s position in the exclusive club of six nations including Russia, USA, France, UK and China which have the capability of firing nuclear tipped missiles from air, land and undersea.

A defence scientist said, this manoeuvrable missile having an innovative system of interlacing in three dimensions can also cruise at a hypersonic speed. “This exceptional feature of the weapon system makes it difficult to be tracked easily and destroyed by any anti-ballistic missile defence system. The missile has a high accuracy of near-zero circular error probable (CEP),” he said.

India has so far planned three missiles in the K-series. While the 700-km range K-15, renamed as B-05 (tested10 times) and 3,500 km range K-4 have been developed, the K-5 will have a striking capability of over 5,000 km. All the K-series missiles are faster, lighter and stealthier.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/sta...ern-another-nuke-missile-test-1557615--2.html
After test we need to buy ear buds I'm sick of chinese crying and whining every time :blah:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag

@safriz may be interested.
Do you have something like this?
Missile/Ammo/Field Weapon tests have become a dailly news for Indians.:biggrin2:
After test we need to buy ear buds I'm sick of chinese crying and whining every time :blah:
British media will post how it covers Birmingham!:biggrin2:
Let's see which British paper posts ch*tiyappa first.
BBC vs Guardian vs Express vs DailyMail
:D

tharun

Patriot
Country flag

Our SSBN is now slowly being published on western literatures ..
Bhai which book..........?
I never read about any plane or submarine in any of our text books..looks like are too interested in our country or just spoon feeding the hate or fear?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I can`t say as i don`t know, One of my friend living in US find it so ..

I did`t asked for specifics ..

Bhai which book..........?
I never read about any plane or submarine in any of our text books..looks like are too interested in our country or just spoon feeding the hate or fear?

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
I am eagerly awaiting for Aridaman with 125 MW reactor and power to to weight ratio almost equivalent to Akula. With k4 and k15 in number, it will really be a killer.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
BTW. How many ssbn do we need and how many have been ordered????

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
got this from net, with Congratulations comments

Looks like purposeful put on display for satellites to see.

Indian Navy showing it off :india:
Is that Arihant or Aridhaman...............................:confused1:
See what i found on google maps.....Can anyone identify this submarine
Looks like some is hiding under the white slide cover............

Mods Note: image modified to show only sub and not the location.

Last edited by a moderator:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles