Indian nuclear submarines

republic_roi97

Country flag
Ok now I want to know how good is our nuclear propulsion system ? Is it noisy like chinese ones or is it comparable to US and Russians ??

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Ok now I want to know how good is our nuclear propulsion system ? Is it noisy like chinese ones or is it comparable to US and Russians ??
I find it hard to believe that Arihant is quieter than US or Russian subs. Those countries have a far more extensive experience designing these vessels.
Its surpassed expectations of Indian Navy. Since Indian Navy has INS Chakra, so they must have pitted one against the other.
It would be a miracle if INS Chakra has the louder signature of these two. Arihant might have Akula I level of acoustic signatures (which is quite an accomplishment for the first indigenous SSBN of a nation)

sorcerer

Country flag
NewsX Exclusive: India completes 'nuclear triad' with INS Arihant

New Delhi: In an exclusive information accessed by NewsX, India in its mission to empower its navy has joined "Nuclear triad" club of superpowers who can launch nukes from air, land & air.

In February 2016, India's 1st indigenously built nuclear armed submarine INS Arihant was declared as ready for operations. In August 2016, Prime Minister Modi had quietly commissioned INS Arihant into the Indian Navy and since then it is fully-operational.

INS Arihant's commissioning into the Indian Navy has put India in a group of elite nations. India becomes the 6th country & joins the elite "nuclear triad" club. Earlier, only 5 countries in the world USA, UK, France, Russia and China have developed nuclear-armed submarines.

India has "No First Strike" policy, but Pakistan has a "First strike" policy meaning it is prepared to use nuclear weapons even if India doesn't.

The main advantage of sea-based nukes, especially on submarines, is that they are harder to track and destroy as compared to land and air nuclear launch platforms.

But now, INS Arihant gives India a power to hold the threat of a "second strike," a nuclear counter attack, even if the country is wiped out.

------------
Posting the news!! I see the tweets are already up!
The catch is EXCLUSIVE INFORMATION!!
Any related info on it..can anyone vet it?

rohit b3

Country flag

Akshay_Fenix

India becomes the 4th country to join the Triad, not 6th.
Bullshit Indian media. These crap old people still think that Uk and France are "Superpowers".
I guess they included ex-france and israel(suspected).

Prashant12

Country flag
India set to complete N-triad with Arihant commissioning

NEW DELHI: India is finally close to operationalising its long-awaited nuclear weapons triad — the capability to launch nukes from land, air and sea.

Although the land-based Agni ballistic missiles as well as fighter bombers configured to deliver nuclear weapons have been available for a while, the triad's missing — and most potent — sea leg has been a big operational gap till now.

Sources said on Monday that the country's first indigenously-constructed nuclear submarine INS Arihant (which means annihilator of enemies), propelled by an 83 MW pressurised light-water reactor at its core, was commissioned into service in August after extensive sea trials since December 2014.

INS Arihant's 750km and 3,500km missiles may be somewhat dwarfed by SLBMs (submarine-launched ballistic missiles) with ranges of well over 5,000km with the US, Russia and China, but the completion of the nuclear-triad is critical for a country like India, which has a clearly declared policy of "no first-use" of nuclear weapons. It makes its second-strike capability much more credible. A pre-emptive enemy strike can conceivably take out a rival's nuclear missiles and fighter bombers. That is why an SSBN, capable of lurking underwater for months without being detected, is considered the most effective and deadly platform for a retaliatory nuclear strike.

The 6,000-tonne Arihant is, however, "not yet fully ready" to be deployed for "deterrent patrols" with nuclear-tipped ballistic missiles in its four silos, said the sources. Both the defence ministry as well as the Navy refused to say anything on the matter, holding that it was "a strategic project" directly controlled by the PMO.

INS Arihant has undergone a whole host of surface and "dived" sorties during its trials to prove its sea-worthiness. But the full weapons integration with the "K" (named after former president APJ Abdul Kalam) series of SLBMs will take some more time. While the K-15 SLBM has a 750-km range, the K-4 can go up to 3,500-km.
INS Arihant is the first of three such SSBNs (nuclear-powered submarines with long-range nuclear ballistic missiles) being constructed under the secretive ATV (advanced technology vessel) programme launched decades ago. The construction of the second one, INS Aridhaman, is also almost complete now, with its delivery slated for 2018.

Apart from both Pakistan and China having largely ambiguous nuclear weapons policies, the growing presence of Chinese nuclear submarines in the Indian Ocean region has become a major source of concern for the Indian security establishment over the last couple of years.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...rihant-commissioning/articleshow/54907081.cms

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
India set to complete N-triad with Arihant commissioning

NEW DELHI: India is finally close to operationalising its long-awaited nuclear weapons triad — the capability to launch nukes from land, air and sea.

Although the land-based Agni ballistic missiles as well as fighter bombers configured to deliver nuclear weapons have been available for a while, the triad's missing — and most potent — sea leg has been a big operational gap till now.

Sources said on Monday that the country's first indigenously-constructed nuclear submarine INS Arihant (which means annihilator of enemies), propelled by an 83 MW pressurised light-water reactor at its core, was commissioned into service in August after extensive sea trials since December 2014.

INS Arihant's 750km and 3,500km missiles may be somewhat dwarfed by SLBMs (submarine-launched ballistic missiles) with ranges of well over 5,000km with the US, Russia and China, but the completion of the nuclear-triad is critical for a country like India, which has a clearly declared policy of "no first-use" of nuclear weapons. It makes its second-strike capability much more credible. A pre-emptive enemy strike can conceivably take out a rival's nuclear missiles and fighter bombers. That is why an SSBN, capable of lurking underwater for months without being detected, is considered the most effective and deadly platform for a retaliatory nuclear strike.

The 6,000-tonne Arihant is, however, "not yet fully ready" to be deployed for "deterrent patrols" with nuclear-tipped ballistic missiles in its four silos, said the sources. Both the defence ministry as well as the Navy refused to say anything on the matter, holding that it was "a strategic project" directly controlled by the PMO.

INS Arihant has undergone a whole host of surface and "dived" sorties during its trials to prove its sea-worthiness. But the full weapons integration with the "K" (named after former president APJ Abdul Kalam) series of SLBMs will take some more time. While the K-15 SLBM has a 750-km range, the K-4 can go up to 3,500-km.
INS Arihant is the first of three such SSBNs (nuclear-powered submarines with long-range nuclear ballistic missiles) being constructed under the secretive ATV (advanced technology vessel) programme launched decades ago. The construction of the second one, INS Aridhaman, is also almost complete now, with its delivery slated for 2018.

Apart from both Pakistan and China having largely ambiguous nuclear weapons policies, the growing presence of Chinese nuclear submarines in the Indian Ocean region has become a major source of concern for the Indian security establishment over the last couple of years.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...rihant-commissioning/articleshow/54907081.cms
Off topic, but IMO Nuclear triad is not complete in true sense unless and until you got a proper strategic bomber to deliver bigger mass.
Mods, please remove or realign this comment if it derails the topic.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Off topic, but IMO Nuclear triad is not complete in true sense unless and until you got a proper strategic bomber to deliver bigger mass.
Mods, please remove or realign this comment if it derails the topic.
A Single A5 can carry a 2-5Mt Thermonuclear warhead , how much more "mass" you want?
In nukes it ain't ever about weight but the boom that weight makes!

Chinmoy

Country flag
A Single A5 can carry a 2-5Mt Thermonuclear warhead , how much more "mass" you want?
In nukes it ain't ever about weight but the boom that weight makes!
As per open source A5 could carry a 1500 kg or .0015 kt of warhead. Now as per report, the biggest yield of Pokhran 2 was around 45 kt. Now obviously A5 can't carry this whole load. So for that you need A5 in numbers or conventional payloads with bigger yield.
Now if I do input a result of one 45kt blast in Islamabad, look what I achieved.
Untitled.jpg

It means it would need you atleast two 45kt warhead to dessimate Islamabad. So IMO one strategic bomber could achieve the same with ease at one go.

If we could carry out this discussion in some other thread, it would be better I think. Could mods help in this??

IndianHawk

Country flag
As per open source A5 could carry a 1500 kg or .0015 kt of warhead. Now as per report, the biggest yield of Pokhran 2 was around 45 kt. Now obviously A5 can't carry this whole load. So for that you need A5 in numbers or conventional payloads with bigger yield.
Now if I do input a result of one 45kt blast in Islamabad, look what I achieved.
View attachment 11154
It means it would need you atleast two 45kt warhead to dessimate Islamabad. So IMO one strategic bomber could achieve the same with ease at one go.

If we could carry out this discussion in some other thread, it would be better I think. Could mods help in this??
Pakistan can be saturated by prithvi, agni 1 missiles. We have plenty of them in production already. For china we'll have A3,A4,A5 in numbers + Rafael + mki (bramhos) + slbm k4and k5 .

In 4-5 years we'll have assured capacity to turn china into craterland .
Nothing to worry on that front.

It's the short scale non nuclear conflict for which we need to augment capacity much faster as probability of that happening is much more.

indiatester

Country flag
View attachment 11154

Dude.... Do you mean the 1500kg warhead will give a yield of 0.0015kt yield?

Check http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/India/IndiaArsenal.html

If India has thermonuclear weapons, then A1-A3 should be able to deliver ~250kt of yield.

tsunami

Country flag
^^^ Where did you find that A-5 can carry only 0.0015kt nuke. If I am not wrong mordern explosives are easily 4-5 times more powerful than TNT. So 1.5 tons of conventional explosives will be equal to 6 tons of TNT. Which is 0.006 KT TNT blast yield. 4 times higher than what you are suggesting. That too only conventional warhead we are talking about not a nuclear one.

archie

Country flag
View attachment 11154

In any Test you test the design parameters meaning you dont do the full boom but only prototype the boom .. Like how to build a scale model to test for earth quake prevention or scale model of aircraft tested in wind tunnel.

The actual Bomb will be as per the design limit that the websites are estimating

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles