Indian nuclear submarines

SanjeevM

Country flag
If we have mastered the technology, can we build more ATVs quickly? Can this technology (except nuclear) be shared with private defence partners and they can replicate it faster?

Since we now have technology of Nuclear propulsion system, can we build future Aircraft carrier based on nuclear propulsion system?

Aghore_King

Country flag
If we have mastered the technology, can we build more ATVs quickly? Can this technology (except nuclear) be shared with private defence partners and they can replicate it faster?

Since we now have technology of Nuclear propulsion system, can we build future Aircraft carrier based on nuclear propulsion system?
More ATVs can build quickly....It took Us a long time to build first Virginia class submarine but follow up submarines were built rather quickly than the first...I think nuclear aircraft career is also possible but it will be to expensive to maintain ....

CannonBalls

More ATVs can build quickly....It took Us a long time to build first Virginia class submarine but follow up submarines were built rather quickly than the first...I think nuclear aircraft career is also possible but it will be to expensive to maintain ....
There is a huge difference though, Arihant has 80MW which is fine for a sub of its size but for an Aircraft carrier we would need bigger reactors like 200W x 2 for one Aircraft Carrier. The follow on Subs to Arihant will be bigger and may get bigger reactors so we are getting there but not there yet

Aghore_King

Country flag
There is a huge difference though, Arihant has 80MW which is fine for a sub of its size but for an Aircraft carrier we would need bigger reactors like 200W x 2 for one Aircraft Carrier. The follow on Subs to Arihant will be bigger and may get bigger reactors so we are getting there but not there yet
I thinks it is more difficult to miniaturize a nuclear reactor for a submarine ....So I don't see any problem in nuclear reactor for careers....

Chinmoy

Country flag
I thinks it is more difficult to miniaturize a nuclear reactor for a submarine ....So I don't see any problem in nuclear reactor for careers....
Whether in a sub or in a carrier, you would have to miniaturize a reactor. Challenge is in miniaturizing the components and the whole of reactor. Once you do have know how of that, it doesn't matter for which you are doing it.
BARC had already completed the miniaturization of the reactor for Aridhaman.

Aghore_King

Country flag
Whether in a sub or in a carrier, you would have to miniaturize a reactor. Challenge is in miniaturizing the components and the whole of reactor. Once you do have know how of that, it doesn't matter for which you are doing it.
Yess....thats what I was saying...

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
DAE scientists at the "PRP" (Plutonium recycling Project) said that they were ready to build N-reactors for a carrier, all they were waiting for was a government directive ordering them to do so. So I concur with Chinmoy and Pink Chaudhary.

I believe its better to wait until we can build quieter SSBNs. The precursor to that would be quieter SSNs. I remember Parikrama talking about India getting Barracuda shortfin from France for Project 75I and then feeeding that tech into the Indigenous SSN programme (frankly I am skeptical, but Parikrama is more qualified in these matters, so......). If that turns out to be correct, we can see significantly quieter SSNs post-2030 and subsequently we can see significantly quieter SSBN class. By then we most certainly will have an SLBM in the 12000 km class (provided there is political will for it) to arm these new quieter SSBNs. This can be one possible route. Till then, we can rely on the Arihant and its 2 larger cousins armed with K-4 and patrolling in Northern Bay of Bengal to deter China. But for now, I think we need to stop constructing more SSBNs and focus on developing SSNs that are significantly quieter.

Kalki_2018

Country flag
How much bigger is Aridaman compared to Arihant? I am guessing at least 9-10 m longer due to extra 4 silos.

IndianHawk

Country flag
More SSBN with nukes would deter any two front war.
Sir ji we already have enough nukes plus delivery systems to wipe out pakistan and cleanse Chinese megacities . If that is not enough I don't know what is??

If despite being a nuclear power we find ourselves engaged in two front war then we are stupid. No.

We should redefine our nuke doctrine clearly stating that a two front attack India will cross nuclear threshold and India will respond with nuclear annihilation.

Simple.

Let our enemies be in that dilemma not us.

indiatester

Country flag
The analysis is all nice, but can someone shed light on which satellite clicked this snap. The sub seems to be specifically placed for display.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Sir ji we already have enough nukes plus delivery systems to wipe out pakistan and cleanse Chinese megacities . If that is not enough I don't know what is??

If despite being a nuclear power we find ourselves engaged in two front war then we are stupid. No.

We should redefine our nuke doctrine clearly stating that a two front attack India will cross nuclear threshold and India will respond with nuclear annihilation.

Simple.

Let our enemies be in that dilemma not us.
We need at least 50-100 nukes at sea all times.
Now we have ATV1 (4X3)=12
ATV2 (8×3)=24
So 36 small or 12 big or combo of both. But both subs cannot be at sea all the time.

Plus ATV1 would be for testing in future. So we need 6 SSBN. So that 3 could be at sea all the time.

SanjeevM

Country flag
We need at least 50-100 nukes at sea all times.
Now we have ATV1 (4X3)=12
ATV2 (8×3)=24
So 36 small or 12 big or combo of both. But both subs cannot be at sea all the time.

Plus ATV1 would be for testing in future. So we need 6 SSBN. So that 3 could be at sea all the time.
How quickly we can build 6 more SSBN?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles