Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder

Discussion in 'Members Corner' started by Yusuf, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD or AD/HD or ADD) is a developmental disorder.[1] It is characterized primarily by "the co-existence of attentional problems and hyperactivity, with each behavior occurring infrequently alone" and symptoms starting before seven years of age.[2]

ADHD is the most commonly studied and diagnosed psychiatric disorder in children, affecting about 3 to 5 percent of children globally[3][4] and diagnosed in about 2 to 16 percent of school aged children.[5] It is a chronic disorder[6] with 30 to 50 percent of those individuals diagnosed in childhood continuing to have symptoms into adulthood.[7][8] Adolescents and adults with ADHD tend to develop coping mechanisms to compensate for some or all of their impairments.[9] It is estimated that 4.7 percent of American adults live with ADHD.[10] Standardized rating scales such as WHO's Adult ADHD Self-Report Scale can be used for ADHD screening and assessment of the disorder's symptoms' severity.[11]

Here is a test for attention disorder.
    Attention Deficit Disorder (ADHD) Test - Psych Central

Any of us can have it. My score was 45 which puts me in a mild category of this. I never knew about this till recently where I investigated for another reason. When I read more about it, I realized why I was behaving in a certain manner when I was a kid and to an extent even today.

3. agentperry

agentperry Senior Member Senior Member

ohhhhhhh.....

4. LurkerBaba

LurkerBaba Staff Administrator

Its crap, stuff blown out of proportion so that the drug companies can make more money. Heck, Leornadao Da Vinci and Einstein had ADD !

5. Yusuf

L , drugs are not an answer to this.

6. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

Mine is 85.

7. agentperry

agentperry Senior Member Senior Member

i got 18? im so stable? fako fako

8. LurkerBaba

9. Yusuf

Only the very severe kinds. ADHD has a wide scale of severity. From none to mild to high to severe.

10. LurkerBaba

Arrey that mild thing is to be ignored. A friend who worked in "big-pharma" told me that these companies just spread panic to get more money.

11. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Results of your Attention Deficit Disorder Quiz

You scored a total of 41

You appear to suffer from mild attention and concentration difficulties according to your responses to this self-report questionnaire. You should not take this as a diagnosis of any sort, or a recommendation for treatment. However, you may want to look into seeking further consultation with a trained mental health professional if you are experiencing any difficulties in daily functioning due to these difficulties or if you'd like a more in-depth answer.

should I be scared ?

12. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

You scored a total of [SIZE=+2]36 [/SIZE]:pound:

You appear to suffer from mild attention and concentration difficulties according to your responses to this self-report questionnaire. You should not take this as a diagnosis of any sort, or a recommendation for treatment. However, you may want to look into seeking further consultation with a trained mental health professional if you are experiencing any difficulties in daily functioning due to these difficulties or if you'd like a more in-depth answer.

Missed 2 points to come in category of Borderline ADHD.

Will come next time as i understood the reasoning behind answer. ;)

13. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

Adult ADHD is above 70. It's too high. :shocked:

Relax, These are craps and 20 questions can't give judgement on our mental status which is based on thousand of things.

I use to have superiority complex in my schools, It's not the problem. I accomplished a lot with that. Got many positions where i was leader and got lots of respect due to that. Now, I don't have such complex at all. Some negative criteria is not always bad indeed good for many people depends how you approach in your life.

Even Day-Dreaming is considered as sort of Mental disorder, But I do think something which is close to impossible. It's not a problem, I suppose. It all depends on individual personality.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  14. Yusuf

Yes mild forms can be ignored. But after reading abou it the last few days I learnt a lot about why I was so restless and hyperactive when I was a kid. Why every parent teacher meet meant a round of complains about me not concentrating in class and chatting up my mates. Why I could not sit sit in one place and read for too long.

May that is why I was a good student but not a great one in school. I spent a lot of energy in the playing field. Something that helped me I guess a lot. I read that people with ADHD should get into a lot of physical activity. Being in the school cricket team helped and also being good in many other sports.

15. Param

Param Senior Member Senior Member

[h=2]Results of your
    Attention Deficit Disorder Quiz[/h] ​

[FONT=arial,helvetica]You scored a total of[/FONT] [FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=+2]54[/SIZE][/FONT]

You appear to be suffering from a moderate amount of attention and concentration difficulties according to your responses to this self-report questionnaire. You should not take this as a diagnosis of any sort, or a recommendation for treatment. However, it would be advisable and likely beneficial for you to seek further diagnosis from a trained mental health professional soon to rule out a possible attention disorder.

16. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

Yeah, most of the things I do are because I'm bored not some lame ass disease. The questions were inappropriate, imo.

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  17. Param

Param Senior Member Senior Member

That's true.
    People do not have the same attitude all the time. I can change according to the situation sometimes, even be very different from my regular self.

Dovah likes this.
  18. LurkerBaba

Sirjee, according to some studies people with ADD have a better imagination and are more creative ;)

sesha_maruthi27 likes this.
  19. Yusuf

No relation between being a good student and being creative. But yes I agree with your statement in general.

20. sesha_maruthi27

sesha_maruthi27 Senior Member Senior Member

My score is 26... Should I be happy cos i fall in the border line ADHD?

21. amitkriit

amitkriit Senior Member Senior Member

You scored a total of 6

Kunal Biswas likes this.