Attention all Indian atheists!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am an animist.

Do I qualify?

IBSA

Country flag
As the census is for atheistic around all world, I voted too.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
So far, over 125,000 people from around the world have cast their votes.

Numbers matter! Be counted!
First 1,000,000 go directly to the Lake of Fire.:thumb:

Revelation 19:20
And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

blank_quest

Country flag
To be a theist or an atheist, to me, are both absurd. If you knew what truth is, what God is, you would neither be a theist nor an atheist, because in that awareness belief is unnecessary. It is the man who is not aware, who only hopes and supposes, that looks to belief or to disbelief, to support him, and to lead him to act in a particular way.

~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
As the census is for atheistic around all world, I voted too.
Thank you. It seems that Brazil has the second largest number of online atheists, behind the U.S.

Top 10 Countries:
1. United States of America: 44,841
2. Brazil: 9,989
3. Turkey: 8,975
4. United Kingdom: 7,810
5. Australia: 6,290
6. Canada: 5,658
7. India: 2,648
8. Iran (Islamic Republic of): 2,413
9. Poland: 2,308
10. Germany: 2,038

I was surprised by the position of Iran in #8.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Thank you. It seems that Brazil has the second largest number of online atheists, behind the U.S.

Top 10 Countries:

Most of 'em are probably in the US.
And seriously there are probably hundreds of millions of atheists.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Most of 'em are probably in the US.
And seriously there are probably hundreds of millions of atheists.
There probably are, but they are poorly represented. By some estimates, there are over 1 billion atheists and agnostics in the world.

Proportion by country:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
To be a theist or an atheist, to me, are both absurd. If you knew what truth is, what God is, you would neither be a theist nor an atheist, because in that awareness belief is unnecessary. It is the man who is not aware, who only hopes and supposes, that looks to belief or to disbelief, to support him, and to lead him to act in a particular way.

~ Jiddu Krishnamurti
You read J.K as well? In many ways i am not an Atheist i just end up being pushed to being called an atheist because i deny any one god.

blank_quest

Country flag
You read J.K as well? In many ways i am not an Atheist i just end up being pushed to being called an atheist because i deny any one god.
I read him in Childhood from my dad's book collection :) . Felt very inspired and intuition filled after reading ..

blank_quest

Country flag
Every one becomes materialistic and forgets spiritualism,

Dukh main sumiran sab karen Sukh main kare na koi ( everyone remembers God in bad times but seldom in good )

Its NOT such that when one becomes less spiritual one becomes rich but its the other way round. People who become rich often remember GOD less/becomes less spiritual under materialistic influence. If becoming atheist would make someone rich then I would jump with all my guns to be claimed as an atheist instantly :truestory:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Its NOT such that when one becomes less spiritual one becomes rich but its the other way round. People who become rich often remember GOD less/becomes less spiritual under materialistic influence.
More than wealth, it is modern, secular education which causes people to abandon God. There are some countries like Saudi Arabia which are very rich, but which are still very religious. This is because the Saudis refuse to embrace modern secularism and prefer to stick to their primitive tribal mindset. Education, especially in the sciences encourages a rational and more skeptical approach to the world, which naturally leads to people questioning spiritualism and superstition (which they might not have done otherwise). There is a reason why most scientists are not very religious.

blank_quest

Country flag
More than wealth, it is modern, secular education which causes people to abandon God. There are some countries like Saudi Arabia which are very rich, but which are still very religions. This is because the Saudis refuse to embrace modern secularism and prefer to stick to their primitive tribal mindset. Education, especially in the sciences encourages a rational and more skeptical approach to the world, which naturally leads to people questioning spiritualism and superstition (which they might not have done otherwise). There is a reason why most scientists are not very religious.
Secularism is the divorce of religion from the State in classical sense but in Modern terms the Pluralist interpretation of Secularism and Atheist interpretation of Secularism in both sense it is NOT possible in Islamic Country. Secularism is NOT about "Tolerance" but its about "Mutual Respect" which seems to be less possible in the Islamic countries. Even turkey is not following any "Tolerance" or "Mutual Respect" or "Divorce" of Religion from State.It follows "active neutrality".It means as it is actively neutral it still can interfere into religion.
Secularism
{
West ==>can't interfere into Religion at all
East ==> can interfere into religion as "Tolerant" "Respect"or "Actively Neutral"
}
So States "seems" to be Secular in East but it is NOT. Turkey is different in a way from KSA with freedom of religion but it still has all the power to "interfere" into Religion unlike USA. Its all shoddy Secularism..
Everything is not white and black.

Take the case of Turkey,it is influenced by Western Ethos but it still holds Islam in belief of the people.
Turkey's "laïcité" does not call for a strict separation of religion and the state, but describes the state's stance as one of "active neutrality."
The current Constitution of 1982 neither recognizes an official religion nor promotes any. This includes Islam, to which at least nominally more than 99% of its citizens subscribe

If KSA == Rich == Turkey , one Secular (in some sense) and another is NOT still people are vastly religious.

What I wanted to point out was less Spiritualism != More Wealth; but may be :: More Wealth == less Spiritualism.

http://downloads.unmultimedia.org/radio/en/ltd/mp3/2012/unradioclassicsdownwithdragons1959.mp3?save listen it if you want to understand East and West cultural values its from UNESCO

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
So States "seems" to be Secular in East but it is NOT. Turkey is different in a way from KSA with freedom of religion but it still has all the power to "interfere" into Religion unlike USA. Its all shoddy Secularism..
Everything is not white and black.
Even USSR "interfered" into religion. They had a special governing body for Islamic activities (see: Spiritual Administration of the Muslims of Central Asia and Kazakhstan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). The state trained all Muslim clerics and published Muslim texts and materials. So USSR was not secular, but actually an Islamic state? :confused:

jamesvaikom

Top 10 Countries:

Iranians are more civilized than people in other Middle East countries. West is facing more problems from Sunni extremist than from Shia extremist. Sanctions against Iran is helping Sunni extremists get more funds from Saudi Arabia.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
I have voted too....BTW I noticed there are very few atheists from Muslim families ...

Global Defence

New threads

Articles