Athletics and News from World of Sports: Hockey India derecognised by Sports Ministry

jakojako777

Russian Girl Wins Heavyweight Champion

Russia’s glamorous female champion boxer Natalia Ragozina won a heavyweight belt with a knockout of Pamela “ Grenade ” London in her first fight in her native land, Russia. Natalia, who now lives in Germany, defeated Pamela “ Grenade ” London of Guyana. She moved up from super-middleweight class to contest the vacant Women’s International Boxing Federation (WIBF) heavyweight title. Her win set a new record in women's professional boxing. She was outweighed by 60 pounds, but managed to maintain dominance during the entire fight with great footwork and hand speed.

Natalia appreciated her opponent’s talents and mentioned how difficult it was to win against her. She has been happy as she had been able to fulfill the expectations of her fans and well-wishers, who came to cheer her.

She is known for wearing a unique outfit in every fight, such as a schoolgirl uniform or some other outfit involving a short skirt. She says, “Women’s boxing should look nice and feminine,” and that she likes "to do things with beauty and grace.” In an interview on television, she said that despite her glamorous image, most of her fans are females.

Ragozina entered the ring for her first professional fight in July 2004, after becoming a kickboxing and then boxing world champion as an amateur. Ragozina is 33 years old, nearly six feet tall, and the world's most-decorated female boxer. Her trainer is Vyacheslav Yanovsky, a Seoul 1988 Olympic gold medalist.

The media calls her "The Russian Tsarina." Natalia has fame not only in the field of boxing. She is a single mother with a nine year old son who has done photo shoots for magazines, including Penthouse. She is known for her out-of-ring modeling career. About her professional life she says, “ I’m a professional athlete. And I combine the two to make it look beautiful and dignified. ” Natalia improved her pro boxing record to 22 wins and no losses, with 13 knockouts.

She still wants to fight Laila Ali, the daughter of Mohammed Ali. However, Laila Ali has rejected several offers of fighting against her. When questioned, Ali said she does not want to fight anymore. "There is nothing left for me in boxing," she said. "Ragozina is better than many of the girls in the super-middleweight division. But she does not have even 40 percent of what she would need in her arsenal to beat me. I feel that she would last a little longer than some of my past opponents, but the end result would be the same. I would take her to school and knock her out."

Lisa KARPOVA

Russian Girl Wins Heavyweight Champion - Pravda.Ru

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
can u post the pic once again

Pintu

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Sports | Bagan enter semis

Bagan enter semis

OUR CORRESPONDENT

Jose Ramirez Barreto and Edeh
Chidi

Guwahati: Defending champions Mohun Bagan entered the semi-final of the 31st Hero Honda Federation Cup beating Mahindra United 2-0 in their final group league encounter at the Nehru Stadium on Saturday.

Brazilian Jose Ramirez Barreto scored the first goal courtesy a spot-kick in the 41st minute, while Nigerian Edeh Chidi rounded off the tally in the 49th minute.

The green-and-maroon brigade squandered several opportunities and could have ended up winning by a bigger margin.

It was Mahindra stopper Dharamraj Ravanan who brought the Brazilian down in the penalty box and referee Dinesh Nair promptly awarded a penalty. Barreto made no mistake from the spot.

Bagan went on the offensive right from the start of the second session. It was Chidi’s predatory instincts that helped Bagan consolidate their lead. Left wing-back Biswajit Saha overlapped and sent a cross.

The ball fell in a goalmouth melee. Watching Mahindra custodian Subhashish Roy Chowdhury out of position, Chidi nicely tapped it in.

Down by two goals, the Mumbai outfit went all out during the last quarter of an hour and tried to make inroads into the Bagan territory.

Seasoned Bagan custodian Sangram Mukherjee was equal to the task as he fisted four attempts out of danger.

The win on Saturday helped the Calcutta giants top group B with seven points. They have two victories and a draw to their credit.

Mahindra finished second with six points. Bagan will now meet the group A winners in the second semi-final on Thursday.

On Sunday, in another do-or-die encounter, Shillong Lajong FC will take on Pune FC. Dempo will play Air india in the other match.

TEAMS

Mohun Bagan: Sangram Mukherjee, Biswajit Saha, Deepak Mondal, Shiekh Azim, Surkumar Singh, James Singh, Ryuiji Sueoka, Rakesh Masih, Chidi Edeh, Jose Ramirez Barreto (Souvik Chakraborty, 90+2), Isfaq Ahmed.

Mahindra United: Subhashish Roy Choudhury, Sushanta Mathew, Dharmaraj Ravanan, Debarata Roy, K Ajayan, NP Pradeep (Paresh Shivalkar, 77), Steven Dias, Sushil Singh (Mohd Rafi, 46), Murithala Ali, Justin Stephen, Svetolar Mijin (Denzil Frenco, 62).

Referee: Dinesh Nair.

Pintu

http://www.ptinews.com/news/448685_Somdev-keen-to-break-into-top-100

Somdev keen to break into top 100

STAFF WRITER 13:13 HRS IST

Amanpreet Singh

New Delhi, Jan 1 (PTI) Armed with the confidence that he has it in him to perform at the highest level, Indian tennis' poster boy Somdev Devvarman has set himself the immediate target of breaking into the top 100 in singles rankings while remaining consistent throughout the new year.

Somdev sparkled early in 2009 with a spectacular performance at the Chennai Open but struggled in the subsequent ATP tournaments.

Acknowledging the shortcomings and then working on them is the best way to progress and Somdev has chosen the same.

"In 2009 I had flashes of really good play and then I also had a lot of slumps. I know now that I have the ability to play at quite a high level.

Pintu

East Bengal avenge I-League humiliation - Top Stories - Football - Sports - The Times of India

East Bengal avenge I-League humiliation
Nilesh Bhattacharya, TNN 1 January 2010, 06:28am IST

GUWAHATI: East Bengal partially avenged their five-goal I-League humiliation on Thursday by knocking Mohun Bagan out of the Federation Cup with an emphatic 2-0 victory.

Yusif Yakubu and Mehtab Hossain dealt two crucial second-half blows to Karim Bencherifa's defending champions, sparking off early New Year's celebrations in the red-and-gold ranks. The five-time champions will now take on tournament-upstarts Shillong Lajong in the final on Sunday.

Coach Philippe de Ridder should have no complaints if his players brood over a piece of history more than their preparation for ending a two-year trophy-drought, for it was in the same tournament in Ludhiana two years ago that East Bengal had claimed their last trophy, beating Mahindra United 2-1 in the final.

But East Bengal were fighting against a more recent history on Thursday. Bagan came into the match as favourites, flaunting their 5-3 derby win in Kolkata over two months ago. They had their moment to kill the contest when Jose Ramirez Barreto was presented with a penalty in the 33rd minute.

It was from this dreaded spot that Churchill skipper Okolie Odafa had his shot blocked by Lajong 'keeper Gumpe Rime on Wednesday, ending Churchill Brothers' journey. The Brazilian followed the suit, this time shooting wide of the target and ended Bagan's hopes. Having survived the scare, East Bengal grew in confidence and eventually delivered the message in no uncertain terms.

East Bengal had promised early ascendancy as a Nirmal Chhetri flick-on had forced brilliant finger-tipping save from Sangram Mukherjee. But Bencherifa's side gradually imposed its domination on the game. The architect of Bagan's first significant attempt at the rival goal was Barreto but Sueoka's finishing lacked power. Their second attack was a product of eye-catching sweeping move involving Bagan's all three foreign players. Japanese Sueoka again failed to provide it a more meaningful expression.

As East Bengal dropped deeper, the rivals poured forward sensing the momentum belonged to them. It was at this critical juncture that Bagan defender Deepak Mondal limped out with an injury that hurt the green-and-maroons badly.

atleast_a_bronze

Country flag
PBF mismanagement spoils boxing tournament

PBF mismanagement spoils boxing tournament

The ongoing Benazir Bhutto international boxing became a farce on the opening day owing to mismanagement by the organisers who came under fire from China and Iraq officials for failing in operating the scoring system.

Much-vaunted and publicised by the Pakistan Boxing Federation (PBF), the event was virtually a flop on the opening day as the computer scoring system worth millions of rupees recently bought by the national federation from Switzerland did not work.

The third bout between Pakistan Greens’ Mohammed Waseem and Tharindu Dhashilath of Sri Lanka had to be stopped several times as the scoring system did not work and the bout had to be restarted since the judges were unable to give points.

Again during the fifth fight between Hussein Aqeel of Iraq and Yong Dang of China the scoring system stopped working, forcing the referee to stop and start the fight several times, hoping that system would work out well.

As the system failed to work, the technical delegate Nieva Embuldeniya had to personally go and instruct all the five judges to record the points manually. The points were then collected by the referee after each bout before presenting it to the jury for the announcement of the result. Although the work done manually consumed a lot of time, the technical officials did not have a better option.

Investigations revealed that it was not the faulty system, but the person responsible for running it who failed. Waheed Maqsood, the official in question, was sent to foreign tours along with team to get first-hand knowledge about the software which was introduced by International Boxing Association (AIBA) in 2006 and replaced the Chowdhry Scoring System.

While the system worked perfectly at 2006 Doha Asian Games and 2008 Beijing Olympics, it could not work in Pakistan as Waheed Maqsood failed to operate it despite getting familiar with the new software on tours abroad. It is learnt that he might be replaced tomorrow (Sunday) for smooth functioning of the show.

Not only the organisers failed to operate the scoring system, but there were no electronic scoreboards at the venue which is a prerequisite for international competitions. Instead, small computers were installed at the two corners for the coaches.

Ironically, when there was confusion and chaos in the boxing hall, the PBF president Doda Khan and secretary Akram Khan were outside, waiting to receive the ‘dignitaries’ who usually reach late in the sports competitions.

Iraqi chief of delegation, Ghazi Abdul Samad Ahmad, was furious over the mishap, saying the competition had lost its competitiveness because of mismanagement on the part of the organisers.

“The scoring system, the computer, the electronic scoreboards, nothing is working here. The people even don't have the correct names of the boxers, refereeing is very, very poor. The opponent of my boxer was using his palm to hit which is a foul but the referee did nothing. Everything is being done manually. There is total confusion. There is no bell and a person has to shout to start and stop the bout.

“The jury, the judges and the referees, they all know nothing about anything or what’s happening over here. And this is happening in the presence of people from AIBA,” said Ahmad while talking to Dawn.com on Saturday after the bout which the Iraqi boxer lost 5-0.

Ahmad also blamed the oganisers for not making technical arrangements, but said he would not be lodging an official protest after being requested by the technical delegate since the tournament was being organised after the name of former Pakistani prime minister.

“I wanted to lodge a protest, but the technical delegate asked me not to do so as this is Benazir Bhutto tournament. But I will certainly protest at the technical meeting the next morning,” said the Iraqi official.

China team manager Tseng Tzu Chiang also complained about the mismanagement and competition being run in disorderly fashion, violating the rules of AIBA.

“We don’t want anything more than a fair competition. But if the organsers will not be able to run the computers and scoring system, then how will the boxing be promoted. If the bout stops for a longer time for reason which has nothing to do with the fight, then what will the boxer do. He might lose his concentration and the match naturally.

“If the organisers really want to promote boxing, then they must come up with better arrangements. There was no proper scoring system and no electronic scoreboards which is necessary in international competitions,” said the Chinese official who is also the chief coach.

The boxing fans were also disappointed when PBF failed to fulfill its promise of screening the bouts outside the stadium, while the first session was without the ringside bell.

atleast_a_bronze

Country flag
Six visiting Central African boxers to embrace Islam

KARACHI: While Islamophobia is increasing in the West, six Christian members of visiting Central African Republic boxing team decided to convert to Islam after being highly-impressed by the Pakistani, Muslim culture and local hospitality on Monday.

The Central African Republic team coach, Mohamed Kalambaye said the six boxers had decided to convert to Islam after being impressed by the spirit of Islamic culture and friendly attitude of the locals.

‘All the six boxers are Christians and they had no intention of converting to Islam at all before coming to Pakistan. It is basically the unity and brotherhood in Islam which impressed them. But the most important thing is that there is no discrimination in Islam. Once you say Assalamo Alaykum, then you are accepted as a brother no matter what is the colour of your skin, or what is your cast or creed. And that’s what which impressed them a lot,’ said Kalambaye in an exclusive interview with Dawn.com on Monday.

Among the group of six who have chosen to convert to Islam are, Gbodo Ygor, Selebangue Bienvenu, Vomitiande Huges, Grassa Thibault, Niambongui Davy and Ngocko Martial. They will covert to Islam at a ceremony to be held on Tuesday at local hotel at 2.00pm. The boxers are in the city to participate in ongoing Benazir Bhutto international tournament.

Kalambaye, who is a Muslim, said the six pugilists did not decide to covert to Islam owing to any pressure or because of his instigation. Instead they have chosen to covert to the religion of peace on their own will.

‘There is no pressure on them at all. They know what they are doing. When we reached here, they saw how I was received and welcomed wherever I went and whoever I met by the local Muslims. Nobody cared about my black skin. I was greeted with warm hearts by the organisers or anybody who met me because of my faith.

‘They (the boxers) saw that even being Christians they were received with same respect. They were garlanded when they reached the Karachi airport. That’s why they want to join that religion which teaches such affection for human kind,’ said Kalambaye while speaking on behalf of the boxers who speak only their native language.

The coach said the apprehensions and negative images in the minds of the boxers about Pakistan and its society vanished when they reached and saw the hospitality and felt the warmth.

‘I think the West and its media should stop portraying all the Muslims in a negative manner. I agree if some people who called themselves Muslims are killing innocent people in the name of Islam, then it is certainly wrong. Word Islam actually means 'peace' and that is exactly what our religion teaches us.

‘I am a Muslim and have read the holy Quran. I know that these boys have made the right decision and it proves that Islam is a religion of peace. In fact every religion teaches peace. I don’t think these boxers will regret conversion to Islam although all the Muslims are being blamed for the terrorism and all these senseless killings,’ said the humble and soft-spoken coach.

The coach said in fact only Bienvenu had conversion in his mind since his visit to Lebanon in October 2009, adding that conversion to Islam by Central African boxers was not the first incident. The Central African boxers, he said, had converted to Islam while visiting Algeria and other Muslim countries in the past.

Kalambaye believed that although there might not be a negative reaction in the country on the boxers’ conversion, they might be rejected by their families.

‘In Central Africa everybody is free to choose his or her religion, but I fear that the boxers might be rejected by their own families. One of these boxers is a student, and another one has a small shop, while four of them have no jobs. I don’t know how they will survive if they are rejected by their families. But they are not small children, I guess they will manage somehow,’ he felt.

Kalambaye said conversion to Islam in Central Africa was not a new phenomenon and there were no less than 20 mosques in the capital city of Bangui.

‘And they are not small mosques. These are the mosques where one can offer Friday prayers also. Islam was not spreading in Central Africa in the past. But things are different now. Many people are converting to Islam.’

The coach had in fact told that six of his boxers wanted to convert to Islam first to head constable Mohammad Iqbal from Special Branch of police who has been deputed for the security of the foreign teams.

‘In fact he (Kalambaye) used to offer prayers along with us (police personnel) at the venue. Then recently he told me that six of his boxers wanted to convert to Islam. I then told this to the organisers,’ said the policeman.

Younus Pathan, who was deputed to receive the Central Africans at the airport, said the visitors were garlanded after he asked some of the pilgrims returning from Saudi Arabia to provide their garlands to welcome the guests.

‘As we were short of some garlands, I asked some of the pilgrims returning from Saudi Arabia to give their garlands so that we can welcome the guests. Maybe it was the blessings of those garlands of pilgrims, who were my relatives returning from holy places, after which the boxers chose to convert to Islam.’

Pintu

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Sports | Hockey camp boycotted

Hockey camp boycotted
- India Players up in arms over outstanding payments

OUR SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT & AGENCIES

Pune/Chennai: Indian hockey was coming to grips with a fresh crisis Friday after the senior men’s team boycotted the ongoing camp for the World Cup for an indefinite period to protest non-payment of dues.

The players took the unprecedented step with Hockey India (HI), the interim body managing the affairs of the game in the country, showing no signs of sorting out the payments dispute despite receiving two letters demanding that the outstanding payments for the Champions Challenge meet in Argentina be cleared.

“We have decided to boycott the camp indefinitely, till we are paid our money. We took the decision at a meeting of the players last (Thursday) night”, captain Rajpal Singh said.

“Earlier, we used to be paid after every tournament but it is not the case now. We reminded the HI officials a few times, but nothing was done. We will now report at the camp only after getting paid”, Rajpal added.

No bonus or incentive is offered nowadays but previously the players were paid more than Rs 1 lakh each for a successful campaign. However, they got nothing after last year’s Azlan Shah triumph. Neither were there any rewards for their bronze medal run at the Champions Challenge tournament in Argentina. But, in any case, it is the match fees for that meet which the players are yet to receive.

A player told The Telegraph: “We work for our respective companies and government departments. In the last few months, we haven’t played a single match for these because they (HI) held continuous camps. We are paid by our employers but not by those for whom we play round the year.”

With the hockey World Cup, in New Delhi, just round the corner, this crisis is bound to have a bearing on the preparations for the high-profile event, scheduled from February 28 to March 13.

Stung by the players’ move, HI Friday threatened to take “strict action” against them for their “gross act of indiscipline”.

In a letter to Jose Brasa and Harendra, Mattoo said it was a matter of great regret that instead of waiting for the outcome of Saturday’s meeting, the players “maligned us”.

Mattoo’s letter, circulated in the media here, has him saying: “I and my colleagues sympathise with their (the players’) request and we will do all that is possible for us in the given circumstances. But abstaining from training is a gross act of indiscipline. HI would not hesitate in taking strict action against the players for this violation.”

Stating that he was looking forward to meeting the players on Saturday, Mattoo asked the two coaches to advise the players to lift the boycott.

HI had called some of the senior players for a meeting in New Delhi on Saturday and six seniors — Rajpal, Sardara Singh, Prabhjot Singh, Sandeep Singh, Tushar Khandekar and Arjun Halappa — who were due in the city on Saturday, to attend a promotional, are expected to meet HI officials.

The senior players were annoyed by the delay in payments and had written a letter to Mattoo demanding that the money be paid within seven days.

The letter made no mention of a pullout but sources said the players had decided to withdraw from the camp if the payments did not land in time.

The players are claiming they had set a January 8 deadline but Mattoo’s contention is that he was aware of no such stipulation.

Rajpal said the players were forced to take such a step because HI “did not care for them”.

“HI does not care for the players, it is very sad. The sponsors are paying, but the players don’t get anything,” he said.

Apart from their dues, the players are also demanding an increase in pay along with incentives.

The view in some quarters is that all the politicking for the upcoming HI elections had spilled over into the players’ camp with vested interests and rival factions pursuing their own agenda.

Head coach Brasa sought to stay out of the controversy though, saying what the boys needed at the moment was practice.

“Most crucial thing is practice… Things need to be solved. But I am not the person to talk to about these problems”, Brasa said.

Pintu

Hockey India insensitive: Team - Top Stories - Hockey - Sports - The Times of India

Hockey India insensitive: Team

V Narayan Swamy & Michael Joseph, TNN, 9 January 2010, 12:53am IST

BANGALORE/PUNE: Indian hockey players are up in arms over non-payment of dues and bonus by Hockey India. They skipped Friday morning's practice in protest.

The players, who underlined the fact that they had received Rs 25,000 each for every international tournament before Hockey India came into existence, said their decision was justified as it was time HI learnt to share the sponsorship money coming from Sahara. It has been learnt that Sahara has paid in advance a sizeable amount as sponsorship money till the April 2010.

"Primarily, we want monetary rewards for our victories in the Sultan Azlan Shah tournament and the Canadian series, the silver medal at the Punjab Gold Cup and the bronze at the Champions Challenge. We also want them to approve contracts and graded salaries for the national pool of players. Yes, we are all turning out for the country but regular salaries would a big motivating factor."

In a meeting on Thursday night, the players decided that they would take up the issue with Hockey India chief AK Mattoo in New Delhi on Saturday.

Six players - skipper Rajpal Singh, Sardar Singh, Sandeep Singh, Prabhjot Singh, Tushar Khandker and Arjun Halappa - who will be in Delhi for a promotional shoot for World Cup sponsors Hero Honda, will use the opportunity to broach the matter with Mattoo.

Even as the players accused Hockey India of being insensitive to their request, national coach Harendra Singh countered them, saying it was not the case. "I read out a message from Mattoo on Thursday which said that he would sort out the issue with the players in a meeting in Delhi on Saturday. Yet, the players refused to budge. Friday and Saturday are rest days. But any decision to continue with the boycott of the camp from Sunday onwards can be disastrous to our preparation for the World Cup."

Harendra reminded his players that they were in the limelight because of the game. "They could have continued with the practice even as they negotiated with Hockey India. This is unfortunate."

In turn, the players said they had wanted Hockey India to reply to their demands by January 8, which did not happen. "We wanted HI to answer our queries. We decided to boycott training only because there was no reply from them."

Mattoo said he would talk to the players and sort out the issue. "Whatever is genuine shall be provided. I am not aware of what they were getting, what they are expecting, from where it is to be paid and how. So I thought the best way is to talk to the players, understand the issue and take it to its conclusion. Accordingly, a meeting has been fixed for Saturday," he told Times Now.

He also denied there was any deadline in the letter sent by the players. "I received the letter on Wednesday. They are national players. They cannot threaten us. It is also sad that they are doing it at the time we are preparing for the World Cup."

Hockey's Travails

The Indian hockey team was embroiled in a similar pay controversy in the 1990s ahead of a tournament but relented after being convinced that all dues would be settled. However, the game's problems continued...

2003: Sahara enters into an eight-year sponsorship contract with the Indian Hockey Federation. Player match fees too materialise but only for a few months. However, IHF continues to reward players for their performances

2008: IHF is dissolved by the Indian Olympic Association in the aftermath of the country's failure to qualify for the Beijing Olympics. An Ad-hoc body formed by IOA takes over.

June 2009: Hockey India formally comes into existence.

Dec 2009: Sahara signs a new contract in December to sponsor the national hockey team through July 2011. The sponsorship amount works out to around Rs 3.03 crores annually.

January 2010: Pay dispute and player unrest rock Hockey India which is in the midst of affiliation-related and by-laws problems ahead of the elections.

Pintu

http://www.ptinews.com/news/471647_Bindra-pride-of-India--NRA-should-find-a-solution--Cong

Bindra pride of India, NRA should find a solution: Cong

STAFF WRITER 20:26 HRS IST

New Delhi, Jan 16 (PTI) Expressing concern over the controversy between Abhinav Bindra and National Rifles Association, Congress today said the latter should immediately find a solution to it as the ace Olympic shooter was the "pride of India".

"Abhinav Bindra is pride of India. If there is any problem in his way, the Rifle Association should immediately find a solution to it after talking to him," Party spokesperson Manish Tewari told reporters here.

He said finding a solution to the controversy is all the more required because Commonwealth Games are approaching and any dispute should not impact Bindra's performance.

Earlier, the shooter frustrated with the national federation's "attitude", threatened to quit shooting, sparking off a blame game between the Sports Ministry and angry administrators for the controversy.

Pintu

I never said I'm going to quit: Abhinav Bindra - Shooting - More Sports - Sports - The Times of India

I never said I'm going to quit: Abhinav Bindra
TNN, 17 January 2010, 01:04am IST

NEW DELHI/CHANDIGARH: Abhinav Bindra on Saturday vehemently dismissed reports that he was thinking of quitting shooting. He insisted that he would never quit, no matter what the obstacles in the scheme of things.

"Those are not my words," Abhinav Bindra told TOI, alluding to media reports. "I never said I’m going to quit. Abhinav Bindra is no quitter."

Bindra, however, did say that he was "hurt" by the attitude of NRAI and the sports ministry following the issue of trials. "It is quite unfortunate and extremely distressing to me that my point of view is not being appreciated and respected. The present situation leaves me very frustrated and upset... makes it difficult for me to focus on the sport," the Olympic gold medallist said.

Bindra shared a cordial relationship with the ministry and NRAI before the Beijing Olympics and was allowed to stick to "the schedule charted out by me". It paid rich dividends in Beijing. Then what went wrong?

After returning from Beijing, as a guest editor of TOI, Bindra had criticised the ministry officials and NRAI, which didn’t go down well with the authorities. "I know why this shabby treatment is being meted out to me. It’s because I spoke out against the establishment post-Beijing in TOI. Is it wrong to speak your mind on what ails the system?" Bindra said.

The root of the recent controversy is a letter dated July 17, 2009 - a copy of which is with TOI - written by the ministry to Bindra stating that "NRAI has intimated that you must participate in the following selection trials/competition: 1) Selection Trials (December 2009), 2) CW Shooting Championship (February 2010), 3) ISSF World Cup (March 2010)."

Following this letter, Bindra began practising in Germany under Uwe Riesterer and returned home in the last week of November - in time for the trials. To his astonishment, the NRAI informed him that the trials had been postponed.

"They misled me. I trained like an ***** for six months, partly on MoS expense and spent a fortune from my savings buying gizmos to shoot better in the trials, believing I would be selected for Commonwealth and World Cup as communicated. Subsequently, there were no trials in December and one day I see the team announced for Commonwealth. Is it fair?" he asked.

It must be noted here that another letter was sent to Bindra on September 9 by the MoS, again stating that "ministry fully recognises your need for customised training on individual basis. However, as regards participation in national events is concerned, the selection of the team is done by the respective national sports federation on the basis of the current form of the players."

To this, in a letter dated December 2, Bindra confirmed his participation in the trials. In between September 9 and December 2, Bindra had written another letter on September 17 to the ministry, giving them a piece of his mind. "Looking towards my international competition plan you should be aware that these events are far more competitive than the domestic matches. These domestic events are counter-productive."

On January 4 - before the list of shooters for the Commonwealth shooting championship was announced - Bindra had shot off another letter to ministry "requesting you to give directions to NRAI that my international scores (especially the one which he shot in Luxembourg in December) be considered as selection trial scores". The ball is now in the NRAI’s court.

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
Kalmadi disburses Rs 1cr to hockey players and coaches

PUNE: As promised after their shocking revolt, 22 Indian hockey players and support staff, including coaches, were on Monday handed their payments adding up to Rs one crore by IOA President Suresh Kalmadi at the World Cup preparatory camp here.

The cheques with varying individual payments were distributed by the Indian Olympic Association chief, who was accompanied by Hockey India adviser Anupam Gulati.

A crisis situation had developed on January 8 when the players refused to train at the camp insisting on advance payment of their dues from HI.

Pintu

http://www.ptinews.com/news/474784_Sania-Mirza-s-singles-campaign-over-in-Aussie-Open

A file photo of Sania Mirza of India reacts after missing
a shot against Francesca Schiavone of Italy during their
semi-final match at the Japan Women's Open Tennis in
Osaka,western Japan, Saturday, Oct. 17, 2009.
Schiavone won 6-2,6-1. AP/PTI

Sania Mirza's singles campaign over in Aussie Open

STAFF WRITER 9:47 HRS IST

Melbourne, Jan 19 (PTI) Sania Mirza crashed out of singles event of the Australian Open after suffering a straight-set defeat in the first round at the hands 26th seed Aravane Rezai of France here today.

The unseeded Indian lost her opening round 4-6 2-6 in one hour and nine minutes to world number 27 opponent at Melbourne Park.

The first set could have gone either way with both the players getting an equal number of opportunities to break.

However, Sania missed all the four breakpoints while the French rode on one break to shoot into lead.

In the second set too, Sania got four chances to break her rival but could convert just one while she dropped her serve thrice.

Now Sania would look to do well in the women's doubles event where she has been seeded 10th along with her Spanish partner Virginia Ruano Pascual.

Pintu

http://www.ptinews.com/news/474406_India-can-produce-world-class-cyclists--Eddy-Merckx

India can produce world class cyclists: Eddy Merckx

STAFF WRITER 20:32 HRS IST

Mumbai, Jan 18 (PTI) With some efforts, India can produce big names in cycling in just 10 years, five time Tour De France winner Edward Louis Joseph Merckx, better known as Eddy Merckx, said today.

"India is a big country. Here people are talented, they are motivated. If they train properly, I see no reason why India won't produce world class cyclists in 10 years," he told PTI here.

"But they will have to train a lot and the country will have to organise a lot of races. The cyclathon is a good step in this direction," said Merckx, who is in the city to promote Mumbai Cyclathon Tour De Mumbai here.

"It is not enough to have talent alone. You will have to train hard and motivate yourself to do your best. You should learn to live for your sport," the 64-year old Belgian said.

Pintu

http://www.ptinews.com/news/479099_After-men--now-women-players-up-in-arms-against-HI

After men, now women players up in arms against HI

STAFF WRITER 18:53 HRS IST

New Delhi/Bhopal, Jan 21 (PTI) Barely a week after the strike by the men's team was resolved, another revolt is brewing in Indian hockey with the women's team today rejecting the incentives promised to them and demanded a treatment similar to one offered to their male counterparts.

Hockey India decided to immediately reward Rs 50,000 to each player in the ongoing national camp in Bhopal after the eves resorted to a silent protest against the non-payment of their dues by wearing black armbands during the training session.

But former national captain Mamta Kharb said they were not happy with the "step-motherly" treatment meted out to them by the national federation as their pending finacial dues amounts to more than Rs three lakh per player.

"We are not satisfied with what has been promised to us, so we will not accept the money offered by Hockey India.

NSG_Blackcats

India escape ban, fined USD 5,00,000 for doping fiasco

New Delhi: Clearing the way for Indian weightlifters' participation in the Commonwealth Games, the game's governing body has decided against imposing a ban on the Indian Weightlifting Federation and let it off with a USD 500,000 fine.

Indian Federation was facing a ban as six of its lifters had flunked dope tests conducted by WADA and NADA, September last year.

"The International Weightlifting Federation today fined us USD 5,00,000 which comes to around Rs three crore. We are relieved that at least we have not been banned and once we pay the fine our team can participate in the Commonwealth Games in October," Sahdev Yadav, Indian Weighlifting Federation general secretary, told PTI.

NSG_Blackcats

Leander Paes claimed his eleventh Grand Slam title​

Melbourne: Leander Paes claimed his eleventh Grand Slam title after he, along with his Zimbabwean partner Cara Black, won the Australian Open 2010 mixed doubles championship here on Sunday. The top seeded pair of Paes and Black beat 10th seeds Ekaterina Makarova of Russia and Jaroslav Levinsky of Czechoslovakia in straight sets 7-5, 6-3 just about one and a half hour.

They broke their rivals as early as in the third game and save for a couple of breaks lost on Black's serve, the Indo-Zimbabwean pair seemed hardly troubled by Makarova and Levinsky, who committed far too many unforced errors. Black, whose net game and serve were the weak links for the top seeds, raised her game when it mattered after getting some pep talk from Paes.

Having lost her serve twice, Black held it in the all-important 12th game before Paes smashed a winner to clinch the opener 7-5. The emotionally charged Paes exulted and an equally enthusiastic crowd cheered him on in the stands. With momentum going in their favour, Paes and Black broke their rivals in the very first game of the second set. Makarova and Levinsky has their moments but they were far too few in a match which left them amazed at Paes' athleticism.

They could only watch wide-eyed as the veteran Indian reached out to chase unlikely winners at the net and inspire his partner in moments of doubt. This is Paes and Black's second title together, the first being the 2008 US Open. Paes and Black had made back-to-back Grand Slam finals -- Wimbledon and the US Open -- last season but faltered at the finishing line in both the events.

Source

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles