At the crossroads of identity-Indian Migrants in South AFRICA

Discussion in 'West Asia & Africa' started by RAM, Nov 22, 2010.

1. RAM

RAM The southern Man Senior Member

It is 150 years since the first boat carrying Indians arrived on the shores of South Africa. How do South African Indians view themselves today? KALPANA SHARMA finds out that while the older generation is torn between their multiple identities, the gen next knows where it really belongs…

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/magazine/article900234.ece?homepage=true

3. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Full integration into another country takes more than 1 or 2 generations....becasue even if the kids are born in another country the parents still have culture of there own country and try to share them with there children.

4. Indianrabbit

Indianrabbit Regular Member

I have lived in South Africa and found the settled Indians does not want to be called Indians at all. They will call themselves South African, they do not even think one bit about India. Unlike Indians here in US who are very proud to be called desi. It is maybe people I met here are from mostly 1st generation.

5. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

That's strange. I lived in Trinidad and Tobago for two years, in 1998-1999. The settled Indians there were very friendly and extremely proud of their heritage, even though their ancestors arrived as contract workers 150 years ago. When India carried out its nuke tests in 99, the Trinidadian Indians were celebrating more than subcontinental Indians...

btw does anyone know the attitude of Fijian Indians towards subcontinent?

6. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Dont worry through high birth rate we will rule world in coming centuries....Indian's are spread throughout the world and will do what they do best :happy_2:

7. Indianrabbit

Indianrabbit Regular Member

That was surprising to me too, I met someone at cinema watching Hindi movie. I asked him if you are India, he said no and made a strange face. I felt this throughout my stay in SA.

8. sandeepdg

sandeepdg Senior Member Senior Member

I think its hard for someone from India to lose their Indianness, no matter which ever place on the planet they are based. Its our culture that we are so attached with, that its hard to let go. In places like the West Indies and certain regions in Africa, where Indians have stayed for more than 2 generations, there maybe a tendency to become integrated with the local society and culture, so that they don't feel alienated, but in case of first generation Indians, nobody will want to loose their Indian identity to adopt another identity.