Astra BVRAAM

Krusty

Country flag
smoke shows as a hot plume of heat on FLIR and it retains its signature for long time before dissipating by being smokeless there is no smoke trail which is neither visual thermally nor visual visually also astra's propulsion fluid is very different the exhaust it given out is very cool for lack of a better word cool in the sense it will be very hard to track from long ranges even on the best FLIRs and yet despite not releasing excessive IR signature it delivers the same punch / thrust for missile also the color of exhaust is very hard to get in a sky it literally burns blue which is damn near impossible to discern at the velocities that missile move trust me its a very very good missile atleast propulsion wise just need to put some decent seekers in it. and maybe make a ramjet in future.
Sorry just from a physics perspective, it doesn't make sense. Smoke or not, the gas trail will exit at the same temperature as the nozzle and the hot gases will cool down depending on the ambient temperature. I understand that visibly, it's an advantage, but don't see how devices looking for IR signature will find any difference unless the smokeless propellant burns at a lower temperature. Which I suspect since it will decrease the efficiency of the motor. The modern propellants pollute less and have a higher energy density, but for devices looking at IR signatures, which is basically only temperature difference, I don't see how that will be a big advantage. Can you please elaborate?

OnePunchMan

Country flag
Sorry just from a physics perspective, it doesn't make sense. Smoke or not, the gas trail will exit at the same temperature as the nozzle and the hot gases will cool down depending on the ambient temperature. I understand that visibly, it's an advantage, but don't see how devices looking for IR signature will find any difference unless the smokeless propellant burns at a lower temperature. Which I suspect since it will decrease the efficiency of the motor. The modern propellants pollute less and have a higher energy density, but for devices looking at IR signatures, which is basically only temperature difference, I don't see how that will be a big advantage. Can you please elaborate?
the propellent does burn at a lower temperature than say R-73 which is clear from the flame color also it burns more cleanly ie complete combustion also what i wanted to say that was smoke and particularly thick smoke has a high heat specific capacity ie it retains its heat for far too long and takes time to dissolve in the surrounding air thats why its important to have a clean engine in jets too and that why RD-93 is a joke observe the exhaust:

upload_2016-12-20_7-50-0.png

also FLIR does not only look for IR signature in order to be effective it looks for specific IR signature and tries to isolate the background or ambient IR signatures the better the algorithms that isolate noise and provides useful data the better the IR a FLIR with a really sensitive aperture can be terrible with weak isolation algos compared to a mediocre FLIR with better isolation algos up in the atmosphere there are plenty of IR signatures to work with

and in order to isolate those particular IR signatures ie a ballistic missile launch , a air to air missile launch they rely on pattern matching ie a large flash followed by a trail gets classified as a missile launch so if a missile has no trail or a trail that is clean and dissolves instantly then detecting it would be really hard only time ASTRA will be detected when its about to hit and shows up on MAWS of the enemy aircraft.

Prashant12

Country flag
IAF may get Astra by year end

The indigenous beyond-visual-range missile Astra underwent 12 tests in the last two and half years and would require at least four more trials before it is handed over to the Indian Air Force (IAF) for operational use.

Scientists at the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) hoped to complete the remaining four trials before the summer of 2017, so that it could be transferred to the service later this year. The missile with 75 km range was first launched in May 2014 and integrated with the Su-30MKI aircraft by the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, a year later.

The live firing of the missile was demonstrated before President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the IAF’s iron-fist fire power demonstration in March 2016.

“We have done 12 trials of Astra firing so far and need to do four more before the missile is ready for the IAF. The remaining trials may be completed by the summer of 2017, depending on the availability of Su-30 MKI aircraft,” a source told DH.

Astra is already over four years behind schedule. The probable date of completion was originally fixed at August 2012 and later revised to December 2016.

The missile’s launch in December 2016 reportedly failed, though the officials maintain silence over this.

Reports from Bhubaneswar suggest that Astra lost velocity within a few seconds after the firing, slipped from the intended trajectory, dropped and then exploded on a beach along the coastline. However, neither the DRDO nor the defence ministry responded in this regard.

Agni series
On the 5,000-km range Agni-V missile, sources said the DRDO completed four successful trials since its maiden flight in April 2012. No more developmental trials are required as the missile is ready for the user — the Strategic Forces Command — they said.

The 17-metre long missile, weighing around 50 tonnes, was last launched from a road mobile canister on December 26, demonstrating its all-terrain applicability and the weapon’s flexibility to be fired from any part of the country.

The nuclear missile is capable of carrying a war-head of 1,000 kg.

On January 2, the long-range surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-IV, with a range of 4,000 km, was successfully flight tested, showcasing the weapon’s efficacy and reliability.

This was Agni-IV’s seventh launch, which included three developmental flights and four tests to train the users.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/590082/iaf-may-get-astra-year.html

IndianHawk

Country flag
Is such level detail given out by other weapon manufacturers too? Seems kind of odd these folks mentioning how many mm this warhead can penetrate.
Yup .
Usually commercial defense firms provide these kind of details in marketing approach.
But given the classified nature of these technologies you consider details not to be accurate. Sometimes they are downplayed aka bramhos , sometimes overrated aka chinese weaponary .

kunal1123

Country flag
Indigenous Seeker for Astra BVRAAM Cleared Trials Published April 11, 2017 SOURCE: IDRW NEWS NETWORK 9B1103M DRDO’s first indigenously developed Ku-band seeker for Country’s first Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air Missile ” Astra ” has successfully carried out integrated Captive fight trials from Astra Missile. According to information provided to idrw.org, Indigenous Ku-band active radar seeker was integrated with the Astra the missile in weapon system configuration on the Su-30 aircraft and could successfully track the target Su-30 aircraft. DRDO’s Astra missile until now carried a variant of the 9B1103M active radar seeker used in the Vympel R-77 BVRAAM procured from Russian radar seeker design bureau AGAT. Research Centre Imarat, Hyderabad, developed Ku-band seeker for Astra missile is a scaled down version of an existing active radar seeker developed by DRDO. Captive fight trials of first indigenous Ku-band active radar seeker were successfully carried out from Su-30 aircraft in February 2016 at AF station, Pune. NOTE : Article cannot be reproduced without written permission of idrw.org in any form Posted in Exclusive, India Search Bar Follow us Categories Asia Europe Exclusive India My Take N & S America Copyright © Idrw.org 2006. All Rights Reserved.Fair Use idrw.org

idrw.org . Read more at India No 1 Defence News Website http://idrw.org/indigenous-seeker-for-astra-bvraam-cleared-trials/#disqus_thread .

scatterStorm

Country flag
Wait let me put up my jam .... "Queen - Another one bites the dust"!

On a side note, those 50 acquisitions to Astra should be made good use for target practise and gathering more data. I still have doubt on the seeker performance though, lets drop some PAF and PLAF to show dominance. :biggrin2:

Damn, they are going shit in there pants when they will realise it's not one but two blood hounds chasing them, AASTRA and METEOR. To me personally it's a horror situation to be in.:daru:

:hmm:Now imagine the entire fleet of SU30MKIs, Rafale, Tejas and AMCA(I think they should drop the abbreviation though) armed with these two bloodhounds.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Indigenous Seeker for Astra BVRAAM Cleared Trials Published April 11, 2017 SOURCE: IDRW NEWS NETWORK 9B1103M DRDO’s first indigenously developed Ku-band seeker for Country’s first Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air Missile ” Astra ” has successfully carried out integrated Captive fight trials from Astra Missile. According to information provided to idrw.org, Indigenous Ku-band active radar seeker was integrated with the Astra the missile in weapon system configuration on the Su-30 aircraft and could successfully track the target Su-30 aircraft. DRDO’s Astra missile until now carried a variant of the 9B1103M active radar seeker used in the Vympel R-77 BVRAAM procured from Russian radar seeker design bureau AGAT. Research Centre Imarat, Hyderabad, developed Ku-band seeker for Astra missile is a scaled down version of an existing active radar seeker developed by DRDO. Captive fight trials of first indigenous Ku-band active radar seeker were successfully carried out from Su-30 aircraft in February 2016 at AF station, Pune. NOTE : Article cannot be reproduced without written permission of idrw.org in any form Posted in Exclusive, India Search Bar Follow us Categories Asia Europe Exclusive India My Take N & S America Copyright © Idrw.org 2006. All Rights Reserved.Fair Use idrw.org

idrw.org . Read more at India No 1 Defence News Website http://idrw.org/indigenous-seeker-for-astra-bvraam-cleared-trials/#disqus_thread .

Nice to see an indigenous seeker in ASTRA. But the need of hour is to develop a inhouse X band seeker instead of Ku band for target acquisition. But never the less a great achievement on our part :).

TheHurtLocker

Country flag
Add MMW seekers and high resolution IIR seekers to it...
We need to become self sufficient in this field and soon.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Wait let me put up my jam .... "Queen - Another one bites the dust"!

On a side note, those 50 acquisitions to Astra should be made good use for target practise and gathering more data. I still have doubt on the seeker performance though, lets drop some PAF and PLAF to show dominance. :biggrin2:

Damn, they are going shit in there pants when they will realise it's not one but two blood hounds chasing them, AASTRA and METEOR. To me personally it's a horror situation to be in.:daru:

:hmm:Now imagine the entire fleet of SU30MKIs, Rafale, Tejas and AMCA(I think they should drop the abbreviation though) armed with these two bloodhounds.
The adaptation of Meteor on a russian plane is doubtfull....
On Tejas and AMCA, why not.
But I'm afraid European plane makers (Saab, Dassault, Airbus) will make all possible to keep this key weapon only on european plane (and F35 ???.... to see.)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The Russian are not going to allow such modification on first place, I doubt they will allow Astra integration with their radar ..

The ability which is being talked is IAF vision and not Russian ..

The adaptation of Meteor on a russian plane is doubtfull....
On Tejas and AMCA, why not.
But I'm afraid European plane makers (Saab, Dassault, Airbus) will make all possible to keep this key weapon only on european plane (and F35 ???.... to see.)

scatterStorm

Country flag
Nice to see an indigenous seeker in ASTRA. But the need of hour is to develop a inhouse X band seeker instead of Ku band for target acquisition. But never the less a great achievement on our part :).
We haven't yet mastered miniaturisation of avionics, especially in the seeker dept. Rocket motors are a different thing. Hence the Ku band seeker adopted for Astra is our first major step towards X band.

But I am sure our wonderful scientists would do the job. Now if only we give them funds the size of of what Skunk works get, but again this is just wishful thinking.

scatterStorm

Country flag
The Russian are not going to allow such modification on first place, I doubt they will allow Astra integration with their radar ..

The ability which is being talked is IAF vision and not Russian ..
I hope we do it using Uttam, then we would have at least some leverage over a Russians from our side.

Regarding meteor, we could do bilateral talks for integrating meteor with Tejas and AMCA, by buying again Rafale off the shelf.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles