Astra BVRAAM

Country flag
That is not correct. Board level and IC level electronics (upto some extent) India does in IISc (where I work) and some IITs. Also IC level work is not as advanced as being done in TI (USA R&D centers). But we are still in process of indigenuosly making BGA/PGA level IC chip level packages in India, with Indian technological know-how. I dunno whether u r being sarcastic or just making a statement.
Any missiles/weapons you know of Indian made that use indigenous chips?

AnantS

Country flag
That is not correct. Board level and IC level electronics (upto some extent) India does in IISc (where I work) and some IITs. Also IC level work is not as advanced as being done in TI (USA R&D centers). But we are still in process of indigenuosly making BGA/PGA level IC chip level packages in India, with Indian technological know-how. I dunno whether u r being sarcastic or just making a statement.
Welcome Saichand. Got a lot of questions in your field. Kindly humor me with answering these noob questions of mine :)

I would really like to know, understand the current level of advancement in chip manufacturing in India. How Good are Indian processors ANUPAMA & ANUCO? What are there current uses? Any indegnous effort to develop 64 bit - multi core processors?

I believe there are two FAB's in India one is SCL Mohali and another is I think is under ISRO(!?). What are they producing and what they produce is it sufficient for Mil needs esp radars?

Also how are all the components of Tx/Rx modules of Indian PESA/AESA indegnous? Are we using open market COTS or we are still dependent on sanction-able electronic components?

And technological Gap that you mention is it more from manufacturing side? because there are plenty of good brains working on Chip designing side, so I doubt there would be much gap on chip designing side. So arent we designing our own chips and then sending of designs for actual implementation to fabs outside India?

garg_bharat

Country flag
I am saying developing an industrial military infrastructure should be a priority. With essential parts like chips being imported we are not 100 percent indigenous (very few nations are). Chinese were forced to develop an industry from the ban against them. It has taken them about 20 or more years to Develop semiconductors and they are still far from being world players.
India is very weak in semiconductors. Design expertise is there, but mostly ASIC. Not aware of any respectable fab in India. Military applications will use COTS or mil grade components that can be imported. Obviously this limits what can be done.

I think development in radars and seekers is limited by our semi expertise.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
India is very weak in semiconductors. Design expertise is there, but mostly ASIC. Not aware of any respectable fab in India. Military applications will use COTS or mil grade components that can be imported. Obviously this limits what can be done.

I think development in radars and seekers is limited by our semi expertise.
Well, I guess $10 billion bid is there for two large semiconductor plants.
Government has also finalized 1.2 lakh crore for electronic manufacturing in India.
Let's see what's outcome.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Well, I guess $10 billion bid is there for two large semiconductor plants.
Government has also finalized 1.2 lakh crore for electronic manufacturing in India.
Let's see what's outcome.
Yes. India needs ability to develop own mobile devices where there is a very large captive market. Same is true of select sectors like LCD TV etc.

But it will take time and the sector will need government support for at least 10 years.

Military grade components are even more difficult than commercial grade, and I think it may take longer. The foreign dependence will stay in the meantime.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Yes. India needs ability to develop own mobile devices where there is a very large captive market. Same is true of select sectors like LCD TV etc.

But it will take time and the sector will need government support for at least 10 years.

Military grade components are even more difficult than commercial grade, and I think it may take longer. The foreign dependence will stay in the meantime.

Russia is good for LCD, and MFD's .. why don't we import some from Russia :megusta:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag

Currently only some IITs and ISRO make semiconductors and that for their own needs.
Though tech is available,
Establishing large scale production will take years.
What about Micromax by the way. My friend told they are planning to make 100% indigenous phones.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Currently only some IITs and ISRO make semiconductors and that for their own needs.
Though tech is available,
Establishing large scale production will take years.
What about Micromax by the way. My friend told they are planning to make 100% indigenous phones.
The SoC will be imported as their are no local manufacturers

Navnit Kundu

Pika Hu Akbarrr!!
I'm talking about will make. They say they will establish plant(yet out of budget).
Btw, an inquiry has been ordered into the Iron Fist incident when a missile fired from Tejas missed its target. IAF official said "there was no pilot error or technical snag, the Israeli targeting kit might have malfunctioned". Well, that's exactly what a technical snag means! :doh:

Last edited:

Bahamut

Russia is good for LCD, and MFD's .. why don't we import some from Russia :megusta:
Contact Rostech ,there you get LCD and MFD,unlike a certain country they make their own electronics for military and government use.They have just recently entered commercial market .For more on their technology process use this link:http://marchmontnews.com/
Updates are less as this is a eng site but still gives a good idea.

Bahamut

Btw, an inquiry has been ordered into the Iron Fist incident when a missile fired from Tejas missed its target. IAF official said "there was no pilot error or technical snag, the Israeli targeting kit might have malfunctioned". Well, that's exactly what a technical snag means! :doh:
It might be due to bad weather but this news is not confirmed ,some IAF officials say it did or say it did not hit .

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
It might be due to bad weather but this news is not confirmed ,some IAF officials say it did or say it did not hit .
Missile missed target due to failure of seeker. It isn't big issue.
American, Russian, Chinese, India's own missiles, Israeli, many times seekers malfunction.

Navnit Kundu

Pika Hu Akbarrr!!
Missile missed target due to failure of seeker. It isn't big issue.
American, Russian, Chinese, India's own missiles, Israeli, many times seekers malfunction.
Yup, it might ultimately be a small issue but apparently the government found enough reason to order an inquiry.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Now whom to believe?
http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...-at-pokhran/story-pfWsuepqYr0JPt5WXp81bK.html
As per this article its Mirage 2000 which missed the targets using Paveway LGB and Russian origin OSA AK-M SAM also failed to hit target.
On the other hand, as per the report, LCA did fine in it..................... Whom to believe now? o_O

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles