Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cadian

Not an assault rifle, but could not find more appropriate thread.

Saiga MK-107 shotgun with recoil compensation (balanced automatic).

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag

The Valdai PK 130 reflex sight, designed for assault rifles and machine guns, has been announced by the Russian company JUPITER. It is based on their sight which was adopted by the Russian Army with the designation 1 P 90.

The optic is 60mm in width with a 1 MOA reticle in the center. The system is adjustable in intensity (20 levels) for outdoor lighting and is compatible with the night vision system with NV intensity levels. The Valdai PK 130 quickly mounts on Picatinny rail. The sight is adjustable in elevation and azimuth, and is waterproof up to 1 meter. The operating temperature ranges from -40 ° C to + 50 ° C. The Valdai PK 130 weighs 298 grams and its size is 133x55x80 mm. It is powered by a CR123 battery. JUPITER has also created some optical attachments that can be coupled with the Valdai PK 130, including a “cornersight” that allows the gun to be used around corners.

New Russian Valdai PK 130 Optical Sight with Cornersight

VaghaDeva

sum gai

Anything by Izmash or an AK variant is fine. It doesn't really matter how old the model is.

Last edited:

sorcerer

Country flag
Kalashnikov Craze: Why Indian Soldiers Prefer The AK-47
by Rakesh Krishnan Simha

This should be featured by Ripley’s Believe It Or Not: Indian scientists can develop, launch and guide a spacecraft to Mars 650 million km away, but they cannot produce a simple assault rifle that works.

The standard issue Indian Small Arms Systems (INSAS) rifle is so unreliable that both the Indian Army and counter-insurgency forces have asked for Russian replacements. In fact, Indian soldiers and police, with the tacit approval of their commanders, already use Kalashnikov rifles captured from terrorists and criminals to get the job done.

The 300,000-strong Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) has decided to completely shun the indigenous INSAS, and wants 100 per cent of its soldiers in Maoist-infested areas to be equipped with AK-47s. According to the CRPF, while the error percentage in AK guns is 0.02 per cent, in INSAS it is 3 per cent. “We have found that our men are more confident with the AK series rifles,” said CRPF chief Dilip Trivedi.

In response to the SOS, the Indian government has imported 67,000 Kalashnikovs for the CRPF. India has spent approximately $500 million in INSAS procurement and looks like the money wasn’t well-spent.
Army wants AKs Too
Retired Lt Gen Syed Ata Hasnain, is also an AK admirer. The former commander of the Srinagar-based 15 Corps had his encounter with the legendary Russian rifle when he rejoined his unit during Operation Pawan, in Sri Lanka. “We had a few captured 7.62 mm AK 47s which were reserved for the Ghatak platoon and for a couple of scouts while we conducted jungle bashing,” he says.

Lt Gen Hasnain adds: “The captured AK series, worn and grimy from LTTE (Sri Lankan Tamil Guerrillas) over use, carried a romantic aura about it. The greatest thing was that it could fire in automatic mode. Why is that important? In the jungle or urban terrain, a response at close quarters is a recurring phenomenon. The automatic high rate of fire from a weapon with an enhanced capacity magazine has far greater chances of success, especially in the crucial two minutes of the first contact.”

The INSAS, on the other hand, has performed badly, touching its nadir in the 1999 Kargil War. The new 5.56 caliber rifle either jammed or its components would crack, said an Indian Army officer.
Also, sometimes the gun would fire in a full-auto mode when the selector switch was turned to the burst mode (three shots at a time). Incredibly, it didn't have a full-auto mode. "AK rifles were hurriedly sent to the frontline," the officer adds. "The Kalashnikovs were both life-savers and face-savers for us at Kargil."

Another officer of 17 Garhwal Rifles who battled militancy in Kashmir believes the AK-47 gave him and his troops a big morale boost. "Once I was chasing a militant armed with an AK-56. That chap just ran, but kept on firing his rifle. And then my SLR jammed. I lay flat on the ground, hoping that my adversary won't stop to turn back; if he did, I would be done for. Thankfully, he never did. But others weren't that lucky. But when we got the AKs, the situation changed completely. I knew I had 30 rounds of rock and roll and no bloody militant would dare face me when my Kalashnikov opened up," he said.

Trouble-free operation and low maintenance aside, the Kalashnikov – especially the AK-47 – has another advantage. Unlike bullets fired from other rifles, its larger 7.62 mm bullet creates a mushroom-like mini blast at the entry point. This causes disruption of tissues, leading to greater trauma and blood loss.

Before the INSAS, the India soldier’s standard issue weapon was the 7.62 mm SLR. Apparently, someone decided to copy western military doctrine, according to which a rifle should incapacitate a solider instead of killing him, thus increasing the logistics burden for his mates. However, as the Indian soldier’s experiences in a wide range of conflicts have proved, a gun with a higher kill capacity is better. o_OBigger is always better, and the 7.62 round is deadlier than the 5.56 mm of the INSAS.

Lessons from Vietnam
The Vietnam War was the first conflict in history in which assault rifles were used by both sides on an extensive scale. Vietnamese soldiers were fortunate to get that era’s most advanced rifle – the AK-47. The rifle was remarkably low-maintenance, translating into better performance in Vietnam’s wet and humid environment.

In contrast, the American infantryman was armed with the shockingly poor Colt M16, which jammed so often that newly arriving American soldiers would enact the macabre drama of walking amidst injured or dying American soldiers to grab M16s that hadn’t jammed during battle.
There were numerous instances of American platoons losing fire-fights because of malfunctioning M16s. The situation was so dire that some Americans started picking up AK-47s that belonged to dead Vietnamese soldiers, Esquire magazine reports.

On one occasion a US sergeant carrying an AK-47 was stopped by his commander, who demanded to know why he was carrying a Russian weapon. The sergeant replied, “Because it works!”

Real vs Fake AKs
Since corruption and kickbacks are an integral part of Indian defense imports, it wouldn’t be out of place to question why India imports knockoffs – albeit better than shoddy INSAS – from countries like Romania and Poland. Why not import directly from Russia which is the home of the Kalashnikov, and which sets the quality benchmark?

Maybe it’s easier to cover up the corruption trail when the supplier is a relatively obscure East European supplier. Or perhaps the East Europeans have piles of AK-47s mothballed after the end of the Cold War and are able to offer a discount.

Buying the cheaper version doesn’t really matter if the item is, say, a coastal patrol boat. But a rifle is a different matter. Although Mikhail Kalashnikov came up with such a fantastic design that even the Romanians can’t wreck it, there is bound to be a difference in quality between the original versus the copy.

Second tier quality for the humble soldier reeks of discrimination. If India is going in for the world’s best dogfighter – the Su-30MKI, which costs $65 million per plane – why should the Indian soldier be given a $600 Romanian copy when the Russian original costs only a couple of hundred dollars more?

The clever learn from their own mistakes. The wise learn from the mistakes of others. However, India is unique – it just refuses to learn.
Source>>

In Russian Source!!! and what was the author smoking?

@Kunal Biswas

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Dare say 7.62m43 is not better than OFB 5.56mm which is used by Indian Army, 7.62m43 might be better than those Vietnam era 5.56mm, And for some they like to stick with that era to promote their own opinion..

When Army chief went ahead with Indian Excalibur, These people went against Army decision as it does not entertain them anymore or their masters ..

People like this chap come and go and can write anything and twist for anyone for their own gain ..

Scarface

Kalashnikov Craze: Why Indian Soldiers Prefer The AK-47
by Rakesh Krishnan Simha

This should be featured by Ripley’s Believe It Or Not: Indian scientists can develop, launch and guide a spacecraft to Mars 650 million km away, but they cannot produce a simple assault rifle that works.

The standard issue Indian Small Arms Systems (INSAS) rifle is so unreliable that both the Indian Army and counter-insurgency forces have asked for Russian replacements. In fact, Indian soldiers and police, with the tacit approval of their commanders, already use Kalashnikov rifles captured from terrorists and criminals to get the job done.

The 300,000-strong Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) has decided to completely shun the indigenous INSAS, and wants 100 per cent of its soldiers in Maoist-infested areas to be equipped with AK-47s. According to the CRPF, while the error percentage in AK guns is 0.02 per cent, in INSAS it is 3 per cent. “We have found that our men are more confident with the AK series rifles,” said CRPF chief Dilip Trivedi.

In response to the SOS, the Indian government has imported 67,000 Kalashnikovs for the CRPF. India has spent approximately $500 million in INSAS procurement and looks like the money wasn’t well-spent.
Army wants AKs Too
Retired Lt Gen Syed Ata Hasnain, is also an AK admirer. The former commander of the Srinagar-based 15 Corps had his encounter with the legendary Russian rifle when he rejoined his unit during Operation Pawan, in Sri Lanka. “We had a few captured 7.62 mm AK 47s which were reserved for the Ghatak platoon and for a couple of scouts while we conducted jungle bashing,” he says.

Lt Gen Hasnain adds: “The captured AK series, worn and grimy from LTTE (Sri Lankan Tamil Guerrillas) over use, carried a romantic aura about it. The greatest thing was that it could fire in automatic mode. Why is that important? In the jungle or urban terrain, a response at close quarters is a recurring phenomenon. The automatic high rate of fire from a weapon with an enhanced capacity magazine has far greater chances of success, especially in the crucial two minutes of the first contact.”

The INSAS, on the other hand, has performed badly, touching its nadir in the 1999 Kargil War. The new 5.56 caliber rifle either jammed or its components would crack, said an Indian Army officer.
Also, sometimes the gun would fire in a full-auto mode when the selector switch was turned to the burst mode (three shots at a time). Incredibly, it didn't have a full-auto mode. "AK rifles were hurriedly sent to the frontline," the officer adds. "The Kalashnikovs were both life-savers and face-savers for us at Kargil."

Another officer of 17 Garhwal Rifles who battled militancy in Kashmir believes the AK-47 gave him and his troops a big morale boost. "Once I was chasing a militant armed with an AK-56. That chap just ran, but kept on firing his rifle. And then my SLR jammed. I lay flat on the ground, hoping that my adversary won't stop to turn back; if he did, I would be done for. Thankfully, he never did. But others weren't that lucky. But when we got the AKs, the situation changed completely. I knew I had 30 rounds of rock and roll and no bloody militant would dare face me when my Kalashnikov opened up," he said.

Trouble-free operation and low maintenance aside, the Kalashnikov – especially the AK-47 – has another advantage. Unlike bullets fired from other rifles, its larger 7.62 mm bullet creates a mushroom-like mini blast at the entry point. This causes disruption of tissues, leading to greater trauma and blood loss.

Before the INSAS, the India soldier’s standard issue weapon was the 7.62 mm SLR. Apparently, someone decided to copy western military doctrine, according to which a rifle should incapacitate a solider instead of killing him, thus increasing the logistics burden for his mates. However, as the Indian soldier’s experiences in a wide range of conflicts have proved, a gun with a higher kill capacity is better. o_OBigger is always better, and the 7.62 round is deadlier than the 5.56 mm of the INSAS.

Lessons from Vietnam
The Vietnam War was the first conflict in history in which assault rifles were used by both sides on an extensive scale. Vietnamese soldiers were fortunate to get that era’s most advanced rifle – the AK-47. The rifle was remarkably low-maintenance, translating into better performance in Vietnam’s wet and humid environment.

In contrast, the American infantryman was armed with the shockingly poor Colt M16, which jammed so often that newly arriving American soldiers would enact the macabre drama of walking amidst injured or dying American soldiers to grab M16s that hadn’t jammed during battle.
There were numerous instances of American platoons losing fire-fights because of malfunctioning M16s. The situation was so dire that some Americans started picking up AK-47s that belonged to dead Vietnamese soldiers, Esquire magazine reports.

On one occasion a US sergeant carrying an AK-47 was stopped by his commander, who demanded to know why he was carrying a Russian weapon. The sergeant replied, “Because it works!”

Real vs Fake AKs
Since corruption and kickbacks are an integral part of Indian defense imports, it wouldn’t be out of place to question why India imports knockoffs – albeit better than shoddy INSAS – from countries like Romania and Poland. Why not import directly from Russia which is the home of the Kalashnikov, and which sets the quality benchmark?

Maybe it’s easier to cover up the corruption trail when the supplier is a relatively obscure East European supplier. Or perhaps the East Europeans have piles of AK-47s mothballed after the end of the Cold War and are able to offer a discount.

Buying the cheaper version doesn’t really matter if the item is, say, a coastal patrol boat. But a rifle is a different matter. Although Mikhail Kalashnikov came up with such a fantastic design that even the Romanians can’t wreck it, there is bound to be a difference in quality between the original versus the copy.

Second tier quality for the humble soldier reeks of discrimination. If India is going in for the world’s best dogfighter – the Su-30MKI, which costs $65 million per plane – why should the Indian soldier be given a $600 Romanian copy when the Russian original costs only a couple of hundred dollars more?

The clever learn from their own mistakes. The wise learn from the mistakes of others. However, India is unique – it just refuses to learn.
Source>>

In Russian Source!!! and what was the author smoking?

@Kunal Biswas
Oh no,our soldiers who lay their lives on the line for the country are just addicted to foreign maal,they are paid by Izmash,HK,Colt,etc to say all this , INSAS super strong can survive Siachen temperature no other gun can the fault is with our soldiers is what some indigenous arms enthusiasts ( read : over enthusiast) would like to say.

I really hope the civillian leadership starts taking the needs of our armed forces seriously,that's all I'd like to say on this report

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I got to hear this alot, Does because its western and foreign means better ??, I am not sure all those shining looking rifle have what use in battle, All Western Rifles competing to replace 1B1 failed in trails in India during joint trails 2012 and 2014 ..

I think i know my weapon more than anyone else, Not as some 'indigenous over arms enthusiasts' as referred by few would say, But as a user ..

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
@Kunal Biswas Few questions for you..
1) Can you tell the performance difference between 14 inch and 16 inch barrel rifles in different calibers 5.56,7.62X39,51&54
2)Why mostly US forces uses 14 inch barrel and IA uses 16-18 Inch Barrels..for 5.56mm

PD_Solo

The only one
Country flag
Below is a selection of current rifles that are available on the global arms market. Some are being mass-produced, others aren’t. All are innovative.(Please bear the lengthy posts)

Adaptive Combat Rifle

Recent experience has blurred the lines between rifles and carbines. The Adaptive Combat Rifle (ACR) is proof of this. A product of multiple companies (Remington‘s is pictured above), the ACR is the culmination of modular features in a common design. This trend explains why the current generation of rifles from different countries are almost indistinguishable from each other.

Whether it’s the extensive Picatinny rails to accommodate tactical gear or polymer receivers, the ACR series has taken the concept of a modern gun to an exciting new direction. Like most of its peers, the ACR is outfitted to be altered according to its user’s needs. For example, the barrel assembly can usually be changed to accommodate 7.62mm rounds. Depending on how they’re reconfigured, ACRs perform multiple roles be it as a precision sniper rifle or a squad automatic weapon.

Note: In 2008 a US company named Magpul licensed their Masada ACR to Bushmaster, which now manufactures the weapon under their brand.

Advanced Practical Carbine

Brügger & Thomet is a Swiss manufacturer and distributor specializing in R&D for firearms that meet law enforcement and military needs.

The APC pictured above is available as an assault rifle and a sports shooter for civilians. It’s a practical weapon that conforms with current trends, from Picatinny rails to separate carbine and sharpshooter variants. In keeping with Western European tastes, the APC is a short stroke gas piston rotating bolt design.

The APC uses a polymer lower receiver patterned after the AR-series with an ambidextrous fire selector switch above the pistol grip. The lower receiver supports an aluminum upper receiver attached to the gas vented heat shield encasing the barrel.

Like the Beretta ARX-160, the APC has a reversible charging handle to maximize its ambidextrous features.

The APC is chambered for Nato 5.56mm rounds and is fed by a STANAG polymer magazine. Its side-folding skeleton stock is replaceable with a sturdier and retractable alternative.

AK-5

The Automatkarbin-5 manufactured by Saab Defense is the popular 5.56mm FN FNC tailored to fit the Swedish military’s requirements. Extensive modding has resulted in a weapon that can be adjusted for the operator’s needs, whether it’s by adding ergonomic tactical accessories, precision optics, or shortening the barrel assembly to convert the rifle into a carbine.

AK-100 series

It’s hard to imagine the AK-47 ever becoming obsolete. The AK-100 series is proof that Russia’s greatest export will always endure.

Originally manufactured by Izhmash, the entire AK family is now centralized and overseen by theKalashnikov Concern.

The critical difference that separates the original Cold War-era AK’s and the 100-series are the latter’s black polymer folding stock, an improved foregrip, the universal muzzle brake, and varied calibers. This was done for the AK-product line to have greater exposure in global arms sales.

While the Russian military has embraced the AK-74M–an all black finish AK-74–in traditional 5.45mm, succeeding variants are chambered for NATO 5.56x45mm, 5.45x39mm, and 7.62x39mm.

Although not designed for mounting Picatinny rails, the newfangled AK’s do support their own tactical accessories.

AK-12

The AK-12 was unveiled in 2012 and cited as a basis for a new family of weapons. The AK-12 is essentially the AK-74 with a retractable and side folding butt stock, an improved upper receiver, an ergonomic fire selector switch, and a pistol grip.

Other changes include Picatinny-like rail amounts on its polymer foregrip, a relocated sight, and a lengthened muzzle brake. The AK-12, rather than the AN-94 Abakan or the AK-100 series, is being favored as the latest next-generation assault rifle for Russia’s sprawling military.

According to state-owned news organ RIA Novosti, small numbers of the the AK-12 entered service in 2014.

A-545

While most countries struggle to equip their armed forces with proper small arms Russia has the opposite problem. Its military has to select a rifle that wouldn’t just replace the dependable AK-74M but retain all its features.

Although the peculiar AN-94 Abakan was a credible alternative during the 1990s, today another rifle, theA-545 is being considered for Russia’s special forces. The A-545, however, is neither an AK-type rifle nor a brand new design.

As an improved variant of the Cold War-era AEK-971, the A-545 features an impressive balanced action firing system that reduces its recoil. The A-545 is also lightweight and chambered for the Russian 5.45x39mm round. It’s recognizable for its ergonomic collapsible stock and the housing for its bolt balancer above the barrel assembly.

The A-545 is still in limited production.

ARX-160

Italy’s Beretta are no slouches when it comes to providing new guns for emerging markets.

Not to be outdone by FN or Heckler & Koch, the 5.56mm ARX-160 is the most exciting assault rifle and carbine hybrid from the European Union in the past several years,

The semiautomatic delayed blowback ARX-160 dates to 2008 and remains a closely watched model that has done the rounds in trade shows. As of this year, the ARX-160 is already in its A3 variant with slight improvements to its foregrip/heat shield ventilation and pistol grip.

Like most rifles of its generation the ARX-160 is easily broken down into a handful of working parts and can fit different barrels. It features a side folding butt stock, Picatinny mounts and ergonomic fire selection switch.

The ARX-160 is living up to the Beretta mystique. Aside from the Italian army, ARX-160 orders from Albania, Kazakhstan, Egypt, and Mexico have increased its profile as a much sought-after firearm. In what could become Beretta’s crowning moment, the ARX-160 is under consideration as a replacementfor the Indian Army’s current INSAS assault rifle.

Last edited:

PD_Solo

The only one
Country flag

Via Barret

Barret REC7

Eight years ago the venerable US gunmaker Barret rolled out a new carbine based on the lower receiver of the M16.

The 5.56mm REC7, sometimes called the RC7, adhered to the newfangled principle of stripping down a firearm to its fundamental working components. The result was indistinguishable from similar efforts by Colt, Adcor Defence, FN Herstal, and Heckler & Koch.

The REC7 is basically a reinforced aluminum receiver–note the round trigger guard–attached to a barrel assembly and a retractable polymer stock. Its flip sights along its upper Picatinny mounts are the same as those found on later generation modular assault rifles. Tactical accessories and optics are optional.

The REC7’s most distinguishable feature is a robust steel firing mechanism that Barret insists is tougher than most AR-based firearms.

BEAR Elite

When the US Army were searching for a new carbine in the late aughties, among the contenders was the Brown Enhanced Automatic Rifle (BEAR) from military contractor Adcor Defence.

Combining features of the proven M4 and the FN SCAR, the BEAR Elite is essentially a gas piston receiver connected to a barrel assembly and a retractable stock.

The stark simplicity allows its user to customize as they see fit, including optics and tactical attachments on its Picatinny rails.

Like the FN SCAR, the BEAR Elite was designed to be easily field stripped and modified. Its available barrel lengths allow for long range, CQB, and even firing 7.62mm rounds, depending on the mission.

BREN CZ 805

The open secret in contemporary small arms is the AK-47 serves as the fundamental template when designing for simplicity and ease-of-use. So it is with the CZ 805 BREN, whose firing system is derived from the CZ 58, which is an improvement over the AK-47.

The CZ 805 BREN manufactured by gunmaker CZ-UB was first revealed in 2008. Since then it has become the main battle rifle of the Czech military.

The gas operated BREN’s firing mechanism uses a rotating bolt and is encased in a plastic receiver. Designed to be field stripped with ease, the BREN can operate as a CQB carbine or a sharpshooter rifle depending on the user’s choice of barrel assembly. This allows the BREN to fire either 5.56x45mm NATO or Russian 7.62mmx39mm rounds.

The rest of the BREN’s features borrow from its contemporaries, including a side folding stock, Picatinny mounts for optics and an underbarrel grenade launcher, plus air vents along the length of its foregrip.

The BREN is now being marketed for export.

Caracal 816

The insecurity of Arab monarchies make them eager customers for weapons.

But the United Arab Emirates is forging ahead with laying the groundwork for self-reliance. This is why state-owned companies like Tawazun Group is fostering an indigenous arms industry. The Caracal 816is an early fruit of this labor.

It’s the heftier sibling of a license-built Caracal 814, a Colt M4 clone, and is tailored for modularity and accessorization. The dusty environment of the Arabian Peninsula inspired the Caracal’s short stroke gas piston in lieu of the traditional gas impingement system. Like recent offerings from US gun makers the Caracal employs front and back flip sights and a free floating heat shield with integrated Picatinny rails.

To further customize its performance its gas piston has three operations depending on the shooter’s needs. Barrel assemblies are replaceable too and a whole range of tactical gear can be fitted on it.

The Caracal is simply the latest M4 derivative in the global small arms market.

Colt “Smart Gun”

A prototype bullpup being R&Ded for Canada’s Soldier Integrated Precision Effects System (SIPES) is proof that the OICW concept still inspires military planners.

Unveiled in February, 2015, the so-called “smart gun” is the world’s newest assault rifle and very little is known about it.

Judging by the single promotional image used in its debut press release Colt’s mysterious smart gun is fed by a large integrated box magazine attached to the stock. The magazine’s size and apparent heft suggests it contains standard ammunition that’s perhaps a smaller caliber than 5.56mm, or not. A mounted 35mm or 40mm launcher is optional.

The final model may feature unexpected levels of accuracy if Canada’s armed forces adopt a FELIN-esque fire control system to target shots at distances and around obstacles.

At this point there are too many questions marks surrounding this smart gun. Although not yet in production, should Colt’s latest enter service it completely replaces the M16, shrinking the pool of countries using the venerable assault rifle.

PD_Solo

The only one
Country flag
CM901

The Colt Modular Carbine CM901 was the gun maker’s entry for the US Army’s 2010-2013 Individual Carbine Competition. It’s basically the M4 stripped to its bare working parts and given the modular features of the FN SCAR.

For example, the 16-inch 5.56mm barrel assembly is replaceable with a barrel that fires 7.62mm rounds. The upper receiver has been reduced to fit an extended Picatinny rail mount running the length of the upper foregrip and heat shield, whose sides and bottom may carry accessories and tactical gear. The carbine’s sights are adjustable and removable for mounting more powerful optics.

The CM901 retains a steel-polymer retractable butt stock and the familiar lower receiver of the Colt weapons family.

M4

Although its direct gas impingement system is a magnet for criticism, the M4 remains the most popular carbine in the world.

The M4 began as a shortened variant of the M16A2. By 1994, however, it was adopted by the US Army and various special forces units. The M4’s origins dates to the XM177, a trimmed down M16A1 similar to the CAR-15 used by US soldiers during the Vietnam War.

As the War on Terror went into full swing, the M4 proved itself in challenging terrain and was subject to extensive modifications by its users. This made an impact on its civilian counterpart, the AR-15, and the prevailing trend of accessorizing small arms using Picatinny rails.

Remarkably, US gun makers today have improved on Eugene Stoner’s original vision for an accurate and dependable firearm. The results come in startling varieties.

Colt’s M4 can be transformed into a completely different assault rifle, with its small lower receiver the only discernible feature, which is in turn copied by other firearms. The HK 416 is an example, along with more than a dozen entries in this list.

In short, the M4 is a better M16. (Pun intended?)

The M4 is now being license-built and pirated in almost every continent. Along with countless US gun makers, Canada, Germany, the Philippines, Israel, South Korea, and Taiwan produce and export M16 and M4 derivatives. Unlicensed M4’s are exported by China, Iran, Sudan, and Vietnam.

CZW 556

As its name indicates, the CZW is chambered for 5.56mm rounds. Designed and manufactured in the Czech Republic by the company Czech Weapons–not to be mistaken for CZ-UB–the CZW is a relatively new assault rifle with a conventional layout.

Another assault rifle made by Czech Weapons is the CZW 762 whose appearance is based on the AK-74.

According to its product page the CZW 556 weighs seven pounds and is effective at up to 400 meters. It was also designed to be be reconfigured with different parts and accessories although it’s unclear if its wire stock is detachable from the lower receiver. While interchangeable parts are an almost universal feature among contemporary small arms, the crucial difference with the CZW model is an unspecified breech locking mechanism that’s been patented by Czech Weapons.

via Rogueadventurer.com

EF-88

Unveiled in 2012, the EF-88, also known as the P90, is a radical improvement over the license-built 5.56mm Steyr AUG used by the Australia and New Zealand militaries.

Based on available photos, the P90 made by defense contractor Thales Group features an aluminum upper receiver for mounting optics, an underbarrel grenade launcher, and a new color scheme. The improved features allows the user to field strip and change the barrel assembly with ease as well.

As of this writing, the P90 is entering service with the Australian Defense Force (ADF).

PD_Solo

The only one
Country flag

Fateh

The Fateh is another perplexing firearm from Iran. Despite the respectable capabilities of its defense contractors and state-owned factories, certain weapons are still produced whose effectiveness is questionable.

The Fateh, a 5.56mm assault rifle, was first revealed in propaganda footage during the 2014 Sacred Defense anniversary, an annual memorial for the Iran-Iraq War.

Having produced licensed and unlicensed copies of the G3, AK-47 and AKM, and even the M16, the new Fateh is a brazen attempt to mimic the Remington ACR, the FN SCAR, and the XCR.

Closer scrutiny reveals the Fateh uses AR-15 parts–like its lower receiver, muzzle brake, and 20-round box magazine–combined with a customized retractable polymer stock and a heat shield with gas vents enveloping the barrel assembly. The Fateh has a left hand charging handle below its Picatinny rail mount for sights and optics.

It’s possible the Fateh would end up like the Khaybar, an unsuccessful experiment quickly withdrawn from production. No images of the Fateh in police or military use have surfaced. Whether it finds customers or becomes standardized is unknown at this point.

FAMAE SG 542/FAMAE 2013

Chile might not be a major weapons exporter, but its state-owned arms factory FAMAE is keeping up with the times.

Rather than develop a new assault rifle–often a long and costly process–FAMAE opted to give its longstanding SIG-series the Picatinny treatment.

Although no specifications or product details accompanied the picture above, it’s clearly a model of the closed bolt gas operated Swiss SIG 540 license-built by FAMAE for the past 30 years.

The other changes are superficial. Mainly a Picatinny quad rail along its barrel assembly, front and back folding sights, a side folding polymer butt stock and an uncharacteristic bipod.

The crucial difference between the Chilean and Swiss SIG rifles is the former used stamped steel receivers, which weigh less. This particular variant features Picatinny rails on the upper receiver that extend to the gas piston.

Judging by the new FAMAE’s shortened plastic magazine, their latest assault rifle is chambered for the powerful 7.62mm round.

FN F2000

The F2000 was introduced 14 years ago as FN Herstal’s first and only bullpup assault rifle. Since then it has gained wide acceptance for its simplicity and cutting edge engineering.

The F2000 represents an out-of-the-box approach to assault rifle design. Aside from its cousin the P90 submachinegun, it counts itself among the very few small arms in existence designed from an ergonomic point of view. For example, consider the curved ambidextrous pistol grip that also serves as the magazine well; the polymer contours housing its barrel assembly as well as the optical sight; and the sturdiness of its bulky stock, a rare feature for an assault rifle.

The F2000, though futuristic in appearance, is chambered for the 5.56mm NATO round and accepts M16 type clips, with an optimal range of 400 meters. Being easy to disassemble and upgrade with tactical gear, it also supports a 40mm underbarrel GL1 grenade launcher.

FN Herstal, which is state-owned, offers the F2000 as a customizable firearm that works with a variety of modifications.

Since its debut at the turn of the century, eager customers from a dozen countries have embraced the F2000.

FN SCAR

The US subsidiary of Belgian gunmaker Fabrique Nationale are responsible for the current modular small arms trend. (See ACR.)

All the way back in 2003, when US special forces were expanding their missions around the globe, a need arose for a tough new assault rifle.

The winner among multiple entries was FN USA’s Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle (SCAR) that used a polymer-based lower receiver together with milled aluminum parts. Among the SCAR’s impressive features were its M16/M4 series direct impingement gas block, which allowed the user to endure less recoil on a weapon that operated like the M16/M4 they trained with,

But the SCAR was very different from any of its peers. Extensive Picatinny rails meant it could support a lot of tactical gear and mount an underbarrel grenade launcher. Variants also had multiple barrel assemblies for different missions and could fire standard NATO 5.56x45mm rounds (SCAR-L) and both NATO 7.62×51 or Russian 7.62x39mm rounds (SCAR-H).

The SCAR was approved for production in 2007 and reached Army and Special Operations Command (SOCOM) personnel by 2009. A new variant, the Mark 17, is being favored by the US special forces community although it’s uncertain if the FN SCAR will remain in their arsenal for long.

Thanks to its brand, extensive product placement in video games and Hollywood movies, and top-notch engineering, the FN SCAR is enjoying brisk sales among law enforcement and counter-terrorist units worldwide.

FX-05

The FX-05 Xiuhcoatl is arguably the most remarkable assault rifle developed by a Latin American state. Despite having used the tough G3 and the M16 for decades, Mexico’s armed forces began adopting the new small arm in 2006.

Manufactured by a government-owned munitions plant, the Xiuhcoatl is based on the successful Heckler & Koch G36 but only resembles its German forebear externally. The FX-05’s features do bear a stronger sense of ergonomics judging by its pistol grip and the contours on the aluminum receiver. This is apparent in the large magazine well, whose curved edge serves as an impromptu foregrip.

Internally, the FX-05 contains parts that are incompatible with the G36. Other differences include its robust polymer side folding stock and sturdy carrying handle, which is replaceable with a Picatinny rail mount.

As an ambidextrous, gas-operated, selective fire weapon, the FX-05 was designed to conform with NATO specifications and even accept M16 magazines although it uses transparent polymer ones.

Tactical accessories can be installed even if these aren’t in vogue among Mexican soldiers. It’s unknown if the FX-05 is being marketed for export.

Heckler & Koch G36

The G36 is hands down the best designed assault rifle of the late 20th century. Meant to replace the German Bundeswehr‘s dated 7.62mm G3 assault rifles, the G36 entered service in 1996 and set the bar for all subsequent infantry small arms, from performance to ruggedness.

The G36 was originally chambered for standard 5.56mm rounds and eschewed sophistication in favor of reliability. This explains its simple layout, a conveniently placed fire-selector switch over an ambidextrous pistol grip, and a plastic see-through magazine ideal for mass production.

During its R&D process in the first half of the 1990s it was engineered to support polymer housing that was lightweight–hence the right-hand folding stock–and easy to field strip for cleaning. The resulting G36 succeeded in both counts despite a built-in optical and laser dot sight on its carrying handle. Even without the fancy bells and whistles, the G36 is every bit as tough as an AK-47 or an FAL.

The gas G36 has evolved into multiple variants, from a heavier squad automatic weapon configuration, to a special forces carbine with Picatinny rails.

Owing to its reputation and aggressive marketing via product placement, the G36 is an export success. Used by at least 40 countries, with Mexico even manufacturing its own variant, the G36 will remain in the hands of soldiers and policemen for decades to come.

PD_Solo

The only one
Country flag

Heckler & Koch M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle

The M27 came into existence during the US Marine Corp’s 2010 trials for a new squad automatic weapon. This one-off from the prolific gunmaker features an M16-type receiver, a polymer sliding stock, ergonomic pistol grip, extensive Picatinny rails along the barrel assembly, and a gas operated short stroke piston firing mechanism.

Some writers have taken note of the M27’s resemblance to the H&K 416, its “carbinized” sibling.

The original belt-fed M249 SAW, a licensed copy of the Belgian Minimi, entered service in 1984. A quarter century of wars later and the USMC realized it needed a lighter and more accurate option at the squad level. The result was a stripped down rifle that can mount optics, a bipod, and is ideal for focused and precise shooting during small-scale battles.

The M27 is the only automatic rifle–it can fire single shots–in recent memory to replace a belt-fed machinegun. It’s now in limited use by the USMC.

via Alan Ferreira/AF Design 3D.

IMBEL IA2

The IA2 from Brazil’s state-owned IMBEL is another example of modernizing a proven assault rifle.

IMBEL took its license produced FN FNC–the FAL shortened and chambered for the 5.56mm NATO round–and simply installed popular accessories that are sweeping the world of small arms.

These are a sturdy side folding polymer stock; a redesigned upper and lower receiver with a conveniently placed fire selector switch above the pistol grip; and extensive Picatinny rails for mounting optics, tactical gear, and a grenade launcher.

The front and back sights are simplified and much of the barrel assembly is jacketed in a protective handguard and heat shield with gas vents. The IA2 is now the standard assault rifle of the Brazilian armed forces and is issued with a sheathed bayonet.

The IA2 is a universal model for several variants, including a CQB carbine and a precision rifle.

INSAS Excalibur

The Excalibur is the redemption of the original INSAS. As a shortened version of its ancestor, the Excalibur features a side folding butt stock and limited space for mounting Picatinny rails along its upper receiver.

The 5.56mm Excalibur should not be mistaken for an FN FNC, a Sig 550, the Chinese Type 81, or a Galil, although it obviously combines features from several well-known assault rifles. The upper and lower receiver, for example, are the same as a stamped steel AK-47 or AKM. The transparent polymer magazine is familiar to contemporary small arms in Western Europe. Unlike its “modular” peers, however, it supports a bayonet.

The INSAS is perhaps the most unsuccessful assault rifle being used today. Intended as a universal small arm for India’s millions of soldiers, low quality control doomed its potential. Everything from misaligned iron sights to poor Bakelite components soiled its reputation among jawans.

The INSAS’ future is an uncertain one, although the Ordnance Factory Board continues developing new small arms in limited quantities. Examples of note are a Micro Assault Rifle and the Amogh, a 5.56mm AK-47 derivative.

IWI Galil ACE

As one of the most successful small arms to emerge from the Middle East, the Galil is proof that appropriating a foreign design–the Kalashnikov–can still produce impressive results.

The ACE series is simply an updated version of the original Galil manufactured by Israel Weapon Industries (IWI), who also designed and mass-produced the ubiquitous Uzi submachinegun.

The ACE is an improvement over the Galil thanks to new sights, an AR-15 type sliding stock, Picatinny mounts for optics, and a redesigned lower receiver. Aside from the assault rifle pictured above, IWI offers a shorter carbine variant for special forces and law enforcement.

The ACE series is available in three calibers: NATO 5.56x45mm; Russian 7.62x39mm; and the heftier 7.62x51mm.

IWI TAR-21

The Tavor TAR-21 is the first bullpup design produced by Israel Weapon Industries (IWI). True to the spirit of Israeli-made weapons, it’s simple, tough, and versatile. More than an assault rifle, the TAR-21 is equally suited for CQB and precision firing at long range.

The TAR-21 is chambered for the NATO 5.56mm round.

Unlike most entries on this list, the TAR-21 is now used by the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) and is available for export. The TAR-21 and its shortened commando sibling has found eager customers in South America, the EU, and Asia.

PD_Solo

The only one
Country flag
K2

The growing family of weapons manufactured by Daewoo subsidiary S&T Motiv represents East Asia’s most comprehensive small arms selection.

The K2’s adoption in 1987 was a successful attempt at switching to an indigenous small arm for South Korea’s armed forces. The K2 also stands out as a rare hybrid of the M16 and AK-47. While its lower receive, magazine, and muzzle brake is akin to the AR, it uses the Kalashnikov’s long stroke gas piston action.

The K2 is remarkably light and easy to use, with either a side-folding or retractable stock available to operators. The K2C pictured above is a carbinized K2 modded with tactical accessories.

The K2 and its variants will likely stay in service for years to come.

K11

In the final years of the previous century two experimental weapon systems were combined to maximize the US infantryman’s firepower.

It was called the Objective Individual Combat Weapon (OICW) and it was too cumbersome to be feasible. The available technology was spun off into the XM-29 25mm grenade launcher and the equally short-lived H&K XM-8.

The concept was revived years later by South Korea’s Daewoo (who are known to reverse engineer US prototype weapons), who put the resulting K11 in limited production.

Simply put, the K11 is the first of its kind, integrating a 5.56mm carbine with a single-shot bolt action 20mm grenade launcher that fires air burst rounds. The K11 uses a computerized fire control system that allows the infantryman to accurately target downrange, a feature now becoming popular in small arms engineering.

KH-2002

The KH-2002 is the first bullpup rifle to emerge from Iran, whose government controlled arms industry thrives on reverse engineering a broad range of existing weapons.

The KH-2002 is chambered for indigenous 5.56mm rounds and bears similarities to the US M16 as well as the French FAMAS, with other variants carrying a foldable bipod.

The KH-2002’s pistol grip is supported by a hand guard and an extended ergonomic foregrip underneath the barrel assembly.

It is unclear if all KH-2002 models are fed with 20-round box magazines or if a 30-round version is now available. Though spotted in public military events within Iran, according to one military analyst, the Khaybar was shelved by its manufacturer in 2012 after it found no international customers.

L85A2

Dubbed the “Civil Servant” for its less than commendable tendencies, the original L85–also known as the SA80–belonged to a sweeping generation of bullpup assault rifles that transformed Western European small arms.

Unfortunately, Enfield’s attempt to create a peer for the Steyr AUG and FAMAS was fraught with problems. Its plastic parts broke often, its chamber jammed on 5.56mm rounds, and its weight was problematic. Come the British involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan, the L85 became a difficult piece of equipment to maintain.

While the L85 succeeded in replacing the FN FAL’s length, its shortcomings doomed it to exclusive use of the British Army. When the UK’s defense sector collapsed and coalesced under BAE Systems, the L85 was set for small improvements.

Even Heckler and Koch was contracted to save it. For now the L85 is the mainstay of British infantrymen. But are its days numbered?

M17S

A new spin on a classic design, this 5.56mm bullpup manufactured and sold by K&M Arms is a civilian sporting rifle with genuine military origins.

The original M17S was licensed by Bushmaster from an Australian company that acquired the rights to a prototype rifle for the Australian Army during the 1980s. The M17S sold in the US domestic gun market was a minor success but it disappeared by 2002.

In 2014 the founder of K&M Arms revived the rifle to meet a growing demand for bullpups among American gun collectors. The new M17S is the sum of multiple parts and accessories, from a Magpul butt pad on the stock to an ergonomic trigger sourced from a partner company. This M17S is a reflection of the prevailing modular revolution and shares only a slight resemblance to its forebear.

The K&M M17S uses a short stroke piston firing system and is primarily made of milled aluminum parts with gas vents on either side of its barrel assembly. It features upper and lower Picatinny rails and is designed to accept AR-15 compatible modifications.

A law enforcement and military grade M17S is not yet available. A 7.62x51mm variant of the M17S is currently under development.

M21

The Zastava M21 was first introduced in 2004 when the resurgent Serbian arms industry began diversifying.

The M21 is a 5.56mmx45mm assault rifle based on the AK-47, which Serbia has manufactured indigenously for several decades now.

As a derivative of the AK-47, the M21 takes after the Israeli Galil and the Finnish Valmet with external improvements that enhance the weapon’s performance.

Designed as a family of small arms that includes a CQB carbine, the M21’s most distinctive features are a lengthened barrel assembly with a muzzle brake. The sight has been moved above the gas chamber, which is encased in a plastic heat shield/foregrip that replaces the usual wooden furniture. Recent variants of the M21 now carry underbarrel and upper receiver Picatinny-like rails to support optics, a grenade launcher, plus other tactical accessories.

The M21 also uses a different polymer magazine shape and comes with an ergonomic pistol grip and a side-folding stock.

The Zastava M21 is the star of its maker’s extensive product line that includes 12.7mm machine guns, automatic grenade launchers, and civilian sporting arms.

M762

Powerful 7.62mm rifles for the AR-15 are bestsellers in the US domestic gun market. A fine example of the type is DRD Tactical‘s M762, a stripped-down and very robust model with ample space for tactical accessories.

The M762 uses an AR-type lower receiver with an expanded magazine well to fit a 20-round polymer box magazine. Maintaining the gas operated direct impingement system, the M762 preserves itself from fouling thanks to a freefloating handguard with air vents encasing its chrome lined barrel assembly.

A Picatinny rail runs along the top of the M762 and a retractable butt stock completes its minimalist qualities.

Returning to the front end of the rifle, a noticeable barrel nut secures the freefloating handguard and barrel assembly. This feature is part of DRD Tactical’s philosophy of accurate rifles that can be broken down for concealment, which is attractive for special forces operators.

PD_Solo

The only one
Country flag
Micro Dynamic Rifle

The MDR by Desert Tech is an ambidextrous gas operated bullpup assault rifle. It’s quite possibly the newest in the world and joins a growing number of similar small arms emerging from the US.

The MDR is available in two variants, the basic MDR chambered for 5.56 mm and the MDR-C, which is shortened to 21.6 inches for CQB with a handguard encasing the front of the trigger assembly.

Like the FN F2000 and the Kel-Tec RFB, the MDR uses a unique forward ejection firing mechanism so that empty shell casings don’t affect the operator’s aim.

Depending on the customer’s specifications, the MDR is convertible to fire three different calibers, including 6.8 mm and 7.62 mm.

Multi Caliber Individual Weapon System

With decades of experience manufacturing various small arms, India’s state-owned factories have a powerful heritage to draw on for R&D.

But results can sometimes be mixed, even perplexing–like the controversial INSAS. The MCIWS is a prototype of the Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) that was unveiled in 2014. Judging by its appearance, the MCIWS combines features from several assault rifles and doesn’t forget its Picatinny rails.

The barrel assembly is the most striking with its strong resemblance to an AK-47’s but elongated like an FN FAL. This arrangement suggests the MCIWS is a gas operated short stroke piston design. The MCIWS uses an AR-type receiver and retractable butt stock.

According to the DRDO, the MCIWS can be chambered for 5.56 mm, 6.8 mm, and 7.62mm. Further accessorization with tactical gear is inherent and an optical fire control system is attached above the bolt for guiding air burst rounds from an under barrel grenade launcher.

The MCIWS is currently not in use.

MKEK MPT-76

The MPT-76 traces its origins to the “Modern Infantry Rifle Project” of the MKEK, Turkey’s powerful state-owned arms manufacturer.

After several years of R&D the resulting firearm is deemed suitable as a replacement for the license-built H&K G3’s that are in use by the military. Once the MPT-76 enters service it can expect a production run in the hundreds of thousands.

Its appearance may resemble the M16, but the MPT-76 is a completely new rifle that borrows features from a broad selection of influences.

Without the detachable carrying handle, which is clipped to the Picatinny rails along the upper receiver and heat shield, the MPT-76 looks like an HK417 with its front and rear folding sights. Indeed, chambered for 7.62mm rounds, the MPT-76 uses a short-stroke gas piston firing mechanism with a rotating bolt.

A sturdy retractable polymer stock stabilizes the MPT-76’s barrel assembly that’s connected to milled aluminum upper and lower receivers. The current version of the MPT-76 features two foregrips; one with a built-in bipod and an angled polymer attachment after the magazine well to support the user’s palm while aiming. (See above.)

Mod. 96 Beryl

Not to be confused with the Russian AK-12, the Beryl manufactured by Fabry Kabroni is another successful attempt to improve a Kalashnikov rifle. Having developed the Tantal, a 5.45mm derivative of the AK-74, Poland took its Army’s existing assault rifle and retooled it according to NATO specs.

The Beryl entered service with the Polish Army in 1997 as a gas operated selective fire 5.56mm rifle with a side folding skeleton stock. It was recognizable for its elongated muzzle brake and its polymer furniture. Almost 20 years later and the Beryl has been caught in the accessorization frenzy among modern small arms.

It can now support Picatinny rails along its upper receiver, foregrips, and alternate folding stocks. A shortened CQB variant of the Beryl is also manufactured by Fabry Kabroni. Thanks to Poland’s growing reputation as an arms exporter, demand for the Beryl is rising in Eastern Europe and parts of the developing world.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles