Assasin's Mace

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
China's capability in incapacitating communication should not be underestimated.

China to spend more on defense
BEIJING -- China announced its largest-ever defense budget Tuesday, a day after the Pentagon warned that China's burgeoning military is fine-tuning its abilities for cyber-warfare and for disabling the satellites of potential enemies. China's defense budget will rise to $59 billion this year, an increase of 17.6...
networking and pentagon and productivity Resources | BNET

p2prada

"Ass"ymmetric attack.

Superpower America is particularly vulnerable to asymmetric attack.
Ok. Name one country which is immune from Asymmetric attack. There is no country on the planet which can efffectively counter a mad despot wanting to kill civies without having to come down to his level. Give the Americans free reign over NW Pakistan and act blind over any civilian casualties. The US will completely annihilate the Taliban.

History has proven that Guerrilla warfare is effective. But, China and Russia with large standing armies will prefer to fight conventionally than fight like the Taliban. You can't beat an enemy with Guerrilla warfare, you can only tire them out.

US has killed more people in wars after WW2 than all the rest of the countries put together. What makes you think they will go easy on the Russians or the Chinese?

Iraqi insurgents are conducting a form of asymmetric warfare. They use improvised explosive devices, car bombs, booby traps and landmines against the most modern army the world has ever seen. The US's huge advantage in weaponry is negated by the fact that its soldiers cannot see their adversary. They are fighting against a "phantom" enemy - an invisible army.
Ok. Can somebody count and let me know the ratio of Iraqi deaths compared to US servicemen killed. I will mail it to the author.

Attack on US aircraft carrier battle groups
Carriers are not invulnerable. But, they are no pushovers either. The author throws around the names of weapons to make it sound easy. Cruise missiles, ballistic missiles, ancient kamikaze UCAVS. ZZZ.

This doctrine was probably made for domestic consumption and has no significant part in the operational doctrines of Russia or China.

p2prada

China's capability in incapacitating communication should not be underestimated.
Chinese Cyber warfare is overestimated sir. The real threat is towards civilian enterprises like banks and the stock market falling prey to hacking attempts. Civilian enterprises utilize the internet for communication.

US military C4I system and even Indian C4I system are completely independent systems. They are in now way connected to any unknown computer or system like the regular internet is.

Nobody can simply connect to a military C4I system and expect it to be hacked like a regular internet based system. The kind of encryption used in the military is first rate. Powerful Supercomputers that generate code after code of encryption that no brute force algorithm can hack. A simple 64 bit alpha-numeric code will take 1000000000000000(10 followed by 14 zeroes) years to hack. A 64 bit code will have a lot of possible permutations.
(64! = 64*63*62*61*60*59*..........*1 different combinations). And this is only a 64 bit code.

Also, the software will immediately identify any kind of unauthorized connection and quickly seal all the attacked hardware ports in pecoseconds. Similar to how a regular computer Anti-Virus works.

So, if OOE is sitting in a cave in Af-pak directing military operations from his laptop, and his laptop comes under attack, it will disconnect from the main server until security is guaranteed.

Military communication in the Indian AFNET itself will utilize high level encryption for security against such attacks. You can't simply hack into 40000km(official figure) of Optic Fibre Cables connected to multiple nodes.

kautilya

And here is where you're showing your ignorance to the hilt. Since when in history has an army been stopped because of a lack of money?
I see. So bringing industry and commerce to a standstill has no bearing on a nation or its war capacity.

You're not in my league. Don't pretend you know how we deal with a C2 collapse. Surface to say, the Chinese ... and the Indians have absolutely no clue to our reactionary measures.
Your're free to believe whatever makes you sleep better at night. Given what I know of networks in the US and the capacity of some of the organisations you dismiss as Chinese kids, I believe otherwise.

Blademaster

I had an IT guy coming in for a consultation on how to set up my practice. He revealed that he was a former Army guy specializing in communications and hacking.

He was telling me that US's systems are vulnerable to cyber attacks from India, China, Russia, North Korea. I told him they are just considered as WMA (Weapons of Mass Annoyance) and the world could go back to paper. He says yes but it stands to reason that we would lose a tremendous amount of money and the politicians who deal with guns and butter issues won't be able to cope with that.

So OOE you have to consider the political angle. Take for instance how Vietnam snatch victory from the jaws of defeat or how China played the Sino-Indo 1962 War into a political victory. So I would say that there are significant political aspects to this area considering when huge amounts of money are involved and that amount could significantly influence politicians' thinking.

Officer of Engineers

Professional
Doesn't help the Chinese when 800 cruise missiles slammed into their capital or the carrier group and the battle group nets are still up. There are reasons by we hand the nuclear keys to nuclear SSBN captains and why the Chinese send their SSBN out without nukes. That reasoning still rings true whether you talk about an air strike package or a battle group penetration or a carrier strike wing.

If anyone thinks that computer viruses or hacking our nets is going to protect the opposing force from seeing fire, they would be sadly mistaken.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
My grandfather once told me that his CO used to tell them when all technologies will fail you have to fight with your hands, i think its mandatory for army men to learn fighting with hands!!!!

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
Albert Einstein

Officer of Engineers

Professional
My grandfather once told me that his CO used to tell them when all technologies will fail you have to fight with your hands, i think its mandatory for army men to learn fighting with hands!!!!
Don't have the time and the problem is well technology. There are so many hours in a day and I rather you learn how to strip and clearn your weapon properly than to practice how to break boards with your forehead.

I tell my engineers if they're close enough for HTH, then it's time to run. Either the enemy is too far up front and their artillery is about to fall or we're too far up front and our artillery is about to fall. Either artillery is going to make who's got the best one inch punch moot.

But getting back to this, communications is not going to collapse all the way down to the individual soldier. Just because division went down does not mean brigade or battalion, let alone company, is going down.

That essentially means that if you have the original Command intent, you carry out the intent even in the absence of new orders.

deltacamelately

Professional
But getting back to this, communications is not going to collapse all the way down to the individual soldier. Just because division went down does not mean brigade or battalion, let alone company, is going down.
Sir,

If a Division goes down then it means a loss of 30% or more, which means "battle ineffective". Neither a company nor a Platoon can offer battle under such circumstances, not if they expect to win.

Officer of Engineers

Professional
My apologies, Major, I mean Divisional HQ, not the whole division, nor any of the Brigades. Within context, if and when sigs failed between divisional HQ and Brigade HQ, the Brigades first concern is to maintain contact with each other and carry on the divisional intent. If no contact is established, then fall back to regroup and to establish a new divisional HQ either from corps or one of the brigade HQs.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles