Assam gangrape: Naresh Agarwal does it again! says rape 'overhyped'

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Assam gangrape: Naresh Agarwal does it again! says rape 'overhyped'

New Delhi, Nov 27: There is no end to the sexist rant of controversial SP minister Naresh Agarwal, this time on the Lakhimpur gangrape in Assam.

In an interview by a news channel, he clearly stated," rape is a daily scenario, which is also rampant in Delhi. I do not know why the media gets hyped up with these incidents. Laws have been implemented against rape and I am sure that the Assam government will take action in due course."

The outrageous comment by the minister was topped by a further remark on the Tehelka case when he said,"I was always concerned over the laws against rape since it may go against women themselves. Nobody is willing to hire female PAs in the ministry in fear of framed rape charges."

Activist Kavitha Krishnan expressed her shock on the comments and said,"it is a sexist comment and proves how type-set our politicians are. They have a fixed frame of mind and have taken rape for granted. In a way, these politicians believe that women should not raise their voices against sexual assault or workplace harassment. All that he said was a form of soft threat."

Activist Anchita Ghatak said," it is good that more and more women are opening up with their grievances at workplace. Let us not get to murkier grounds where our so called law and order makers say such things."

Assam gangrape: Naresh Agarwal does it again! says rape 'overhyped' - News Oneindia

***************************************************************************************

Isn't this the same clot who said tea sellers cannot aspire for higher things in society or the stuff on that IAS officer Durga?

What a chap to claim to be the 'people's representative'.

The man should be tarred and feathered and given a good hiding.

I wonder if women who are employed will complain if nothing horrifying is done to them.

They are not mentally deranged as this politician is.

Anyway, Samajwasi Party is no respector of womenfolk.

They are but the lowest strata of society and so this type of remarks can be expected from them.

But hopefully the voters of UP rises against such freaks of nature and send them into oblivion and not be a burden to the exchequer!

TrueSpirit1 likes this.
  3. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Re: Assam gangrape: Naresh Agarwal does it again! says rape 'overhyped

No, Mr. Editor Sir. That is not outrageous, but this incident below is outrageous.

Link: Scottsboro Boys - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That particular statement by Naresh Aggarwal is correct and a fact.

4. Ray

It is correct and a fact?

That's really rich!

So, rape over hyped in India, right?

In other words, rape is par for the course in India and we should not take up cudgels against the same!

You compare Alabama with India?

Alabama and the Deep South still have deep racial signature, even if it is not so evident to the casual tourist.

It is Jim Crow country!

Are you suggesting that India has the same distrust and simmering disrespect and hatred of Indian women?

Or have I not understood you?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  5. pmaitra

Women framing wealthy and influential men is both correct and a fact.

Ok.

I quoted a part of the article. There should be no scope of misunderstanding. My comment has nothing to do with "over-hyping."

What I said, in other words, is not, "rape is par for the course in India and we should not take up cudgels against the same!"

Nope. I compared fear of false rape accusations in Mr. Aggarwal's statement and a similar incident in Alabama.

I beg to disagree.

I beg to disagree.

I am saying what I have said. Nothing more, nothing less.

For the most part, and sadly, yes, you have not.

6. pkroyal

pkroyal Regular Member

Naresh Agarwal, Rajya Sabha MP from SP, is a political turncoat, Congress to SP.
    His education seems to be incomplete, as he makes outrageous remarks without a flutter.

"Agarwal has had a history of making controversial remarks. In August, the Rajya Sabha MP had sparked a controversy over the brutal Mumbai gang-rape, saying that women needed to pay attention to their clothes to avoid being raped. Agarwal had also said that women should not be too influenced by television."

CPM polit bureau leader Brinda Karat had hit out at Agarwal, saying, "It's a national shame that we have a man like this in Parliament. Instead of demanding punishment, he is justifying the crime at a time when sexual assault on women is rising and conviction rate of rapists is low."

Since he is blessed with a daughter, un-thoughtful remarks against women & a loose tongue will harm him & his family more.

7. Ray

Framing is not confined to the rich and influential.

It can be done by anyone and so one cannot be selective.

However, if one is correct in his behaviour, would it be that easy to be framed by anyone?

Why do you think the offices, no matter how high you maybe, except real high in the hierarchy, have glass see through cubicles/ room?

What makes you feel, like Naresh Agarwal, that women alone can be raped?

What about women bosses that is becoming common place in the commercial circles or even the Govt in India? What makes you feel that they cannot have illegal sexual drives and misuse their position?

Will it mean that men should not be hired?

And what about homosexual bosses?

One can stretch the point to any degree one wants.

That way it would be dangerous to hire anyone of any sex.

The issue is simple - keep you behaviour above board and try to ensure that you do not meet for discussions behind closed doors or discuss official matters at home with your subordinates, or in hotel rooms.

You did not quote any part of the article.

You quoted a whole link from Wikipedia.

If you mean this - Nobody is willing to hire female PAs in the ministry in fear of framed rape charges.", then I have answered you in the above statement of mine, where none, irrespective of sex should be hired lest a rape charge is levelled at the superior.

You have the right to disagree.

However, I would go by a US newspaper than by any other source.

The US is changing, but to pretend that there is no racial undercurrent would be disingenuous.

Likewise, India is changing, no more are women ready to be treated as footmats and objects confined to the kitchen and the house.

With education and woman activism, women are demanding their place in the sun.

No longer Indian society, be it men of women, accept with silence the atrocities perpetuated by people like Tejpaul or anti women drivel from fool politicians like Narsh Agarwal and his ilk!

TrueSpirit1 likes this.
  8. pmaitra

I did quote a part of the article and underlined the portion where Mr. Agarwal talks about the fear of being framed.

I did paste a Wikipedia link.

9. Ray

Heard of Bob Jones University in Greenville, South Carolina.?

[​IMG]

Although BJU admitted Asians and other ethnic groups from its inception, it did not enroll black students until 1971, eight years after the University of South Carolina and Clemson University had been integrated by court order. From 1971 to 1975, BJU admitted only married blacks, although the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) had already determined in 1970 that "private schools with racially discriminatory admissions policies" were not entitled to federal tax exemption.

Over a year later, on May 29, 1975, the University Board of Trustees authorized a change in policy to admit "students of any race," a move that occurred shortly before the announcement of the Supreme Court decision in Runyon v. McCrary (427 U.S. 160 [1976]), which prohibited racial exclusion in private schools.[

In May 1975, as it prepared to allow unmarried blacks to enroll, BJU adopted more detailed rules prohibiting interracial dating and marriage—threatening expulsion for any student who dated or married interracially, who advocated interracial marriage, who was "affiliated with any group or organization which holds as one of its goals or advocates interracial marriage," or "who espouse, promote, or encourage others to violate the university's dating rules and regulations."

In 2000, following a media uproar prompted by the visit of presidential candidate George W. Bush to the university, Bob Jones III abruptly dropped the interracial dating rule, announcing the change on CNN's "Larry King Live"

In November 2008, the university declared itself "profoundly sorry" for having allowed "institutional policies to remain in place that were racially hurtful."

Bob Jones University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, it was just a few years back that the racial distaste was removed and that too under Govt pressure!

Imagine a College encouraging racial prejudices and it is claimed that in the deep South all is well!

TrueSpirit1 likes this.
  10. Ray

OK.

But the allegory to the Wiki link did not add up.

Racial hatred and gender inequality and celebrating it by a politician is not the same.

In fact, as far as India is concerned, the politician is a crass coot.

It is because such fools exist in our society, who attempt to 'permit' so to say rapes, is what is doing the country down.

I am sure this news will not make you very comfortable amongst your US friends and it is all thanks to fool politicians like Naresh Agarwal who wants to turn a blind eye to rape with idiotic remarks

11. pmaitra

My comment was not drawing a parallel between racial hatred and gender inequality. My comment was drawing a parallel between false accusation of rape and the fear of false accusation of rape.

This is the reason why I posted that Wiki link, which I request you read properly.

I cannot make it any simpler.

Free Karma likes this.
  12. Ray

False accusation is a part of life and a work place hazard.

What's new about that?

It is commonplace and everywhere.

One cannot stop living life just because someone will accuse you!

It is a risk that one must be ready to accept and find ways to avoid it and not fall into its trap!

What has to be remembered is that malice scorned, puts out itself; but argued, give a kind of credit to a false accusation.

A false accusation gets discovered.

That apart, Is the fear of false accusation alone to decide if women are not to be employed?

The main issue that should draw the attention is the sexist remark of Naresh Agarwal and not the issue of false accusations.

I find it hard to believe that false accusation alone prove the sole basis and justification to give a sexist remark that is derogatory to the whole social fibre of the Nation, more so, when given by the 'people's representative' who dictate the destiny and societal norms of the Nation.\

Let me give a small example of what 'fear of false accusation' can do and what damage it does to efficiency.

The example is our worthy Mr Anthony, our Defence Minister, and what he has done.

He has not allowed any import lest there are false accusations that sully his reputation as a 'clean man'.

Bully for him.

What is the result?

The PM now says India has no money and so there will be no modernisation or replacing obsolescent weaponry and weapon platforms.

One example: MIGs will fly. Pilots will die, but no new aircraft will replace the MIGs

The bottom line is - reputations are whistle clean - but the military has no teeth to take on the adversaries, notwithstanding the big talk of the very same politicians who have left the Nation and the military high and dry, but their reputation whistle clean, engined by their fear of false accusation.

And lives of men in uniform is cheap compared to the good old politicians!

TrueSpirit1 likes this.
  13. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

Guys... the so called "overhyped" Assam rape case is not normal. It's a rape+brutality case and the men should be held and prosecuted and I wont mind them to be hanged.The eyes of the woman was gauged out and she died later.

Seems like these senseless idiotic minister are jumping on power so much that they are going blind. If the same happened to a woman in Naresh Agrwal's family we would see if he would again downplay it. This Naresh Aggrwal is becoming Rakhi Sawant of Politics after DoggyVijay.Recently this Naresh Aggrwal said a "Tea Wala" cant become a PM and was lashed out.

Here is the idiot Naresh Aggrwal's a shame on Agrwal community.

[​IMG]

TrueSpirit1 likes this.
  14. Free Karma

Free Karma Senior Member Senior Member

lol, they have a higher probability of being raped in the U.S that here, and even conviction rates are higher here than in the U.S,

Is India the Rape Capital of the World? | MORE Magazine
    Rape In India: Why It Seems Worse | TIME.com

In a way what that politician said about the media has an element of truth, our reputation of being rapist country is rather unfair. Rape is a human problem and is actually better off that many "advanced" countries.

There was a very good graphic on the net comparing India to other countries cant quite find it,will attach it if I find it later., it sums up the whole situation

But alas, now due to the media reactions.. apart from caste,cows,toilet, rape has been added....any news on India has a rape joke on it, sigh..

15. Ray

I frankly don't care about what others elsewhere in the world think about India.

I rather think of India and make it as best as we can.

Till recently, we were all complacent that things happen in India that are not savoury but are under control.

However, while indeed the media coverage of illegal and wrong things happening in India, does India's reputation not good, yet, it has awakened India to not accept these ignominy being heaped on the citizenry.

To that extent, the media exposes are a silver lining in the black cloud.

Today, because of the activism of the media I am aware of what requires attention to make India clean.

That is how movements like Anna Hazare has woken the Nation that enough is enough.

That is why political parties with no known political face like AAP can give a run to the national parties a run for their money in Delhi, where the people are more aware and disgusted with the sleaze, scams, corruption and dismal law and order and wish a change to make India better!

16. Free Karma

Free Karma Senior Member Senior Member

I only replied to the post regarding US ambassador nancy powell and her comment, which the quote didnt include (post #9), obviously we should make it a better place!

17. Ray

Yes I understood that.

That is why I said I don't care as to what others feel of India (Nancy Powell)

That is why I did not quote your post.

My post was a general comment.