Ashutosh on Anna: for Rahul, the UP writing was on the wall

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by A chauhan, Mar 21, 2012.

1. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

Mar 12, 2012

Anna had made a solid dent in Rahul's image. New York Times wrote on 28 August 2011, 'For Mr Gandhi, the crisis interrupted what was widely assumed to be his own coming out as the new leader of the Congress . . . Instead, Mr Hazare upended the political landscape and Mr Gandhi disappeared for days before his speech in Parliament.' There can't be a bigger setback for Rahul Gandhi than losing UP. He has staked a lot on his success there. I think this may well decide his chances of succeeding Manmohan Singh as PM. This also explains why every change or shift in the political landscape is carefully analysed. Every minor, even perceived, threat to his career is therefore seen with suspicion. I believe that this is what ultimately dictates his attitude and actions to the Anna stir.

As things stand, though, it is a lost opportunity. Rahul Gandhi could have seized leadership of the party, established himself as having grown out of his mother's shadow and having become a leader in his own right. The topmost leader of the party, Sonia Gandhi, was ill and away in New York, the four-member team that was assigned the job to take decisions on her behalf was dithering, the party and the government were facing the biggest challenge to their authority since 2004, the prime minister was committing one mistake after another, his senior ministers were blundering, the crisis within the Congress was waiting for a leader, but that leader did not find the issue at hand exciting enough to exert himself. India Today was scathing in its criticism: 'Let alone seize the initiative with civil representatives, he did not provide leadership even to his band of young MPs . . . Rahul could have choreographed these voices (young MPs) into a pressure group within the party. Instead, he led his party to the verge of a nervous breakdown' (5 September 2011). New York Times quoted Pratap Bhanu Mehta, president of the Centre for Policy Research, 'This could have been an opportunity for him to assert leadership, instead all it does is raise the question of how much leadership he has shown.' Chetan Bhagat, an Anna Hazare supporter and a very popular English fiction writer, was sceptical of his future. He wrote (Times of India, 10 September 2011), 'Seldom has the scion of the first family been criticized so much. One wonders if he will be the last major leader of the first family, much like Bahadur Shah Zafar.' ... full article Ashutosh on Anna: for Rahul, the UP writing was on the wall - Books News - IBNLive

BTW i like this journalist , he reports in unbiased manner..

Mad Indian and maomao like this.
  3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Did Anna really affect Rahul's decline?

KS likes this.
  4. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Anna has no presence in UP.

Whether anna or no anna the result would have been the same.

5. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Anna hs no presence anywhere.

Yet his message has an All Indian endorsement and recall!

6. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Correct. Raul was never a sucess for Anna to come and destroy it. He was a failed case from the word go. It's just the Congis refuse to accept that.

parijataka likes this.
  7. PumpkinTravler

PumpkinTravler New Member

Why is Anna prescence no where to be seen ?

8. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

I think the way in which Rahul tried to avoid the questions about JanLokpal Bill before media and his 15 minutes' "speech" in Loksabha on it, has delivered a strong message in the minds of literate youth across the country against Rahul and his political approach, earlier everyone took him as the future of Indian youth politics but after Anna's campaign on JanLokpal Bill, many of us started to take Rahul as another cheap politician. Perhaps that is the Anna effect on him, i agree with Ashutosh that it was a very good opportunity for Rahul to get the leadership of his party, by supporting JanLokpal Bill of Anna. This opportunity could have given him a positive image not only in UP but across the whole country; unfortunately he missed it rather i would say he messed it up.