Ashdoc's short review---300 : Rise of an empire

ashdoc

Country flag
The movie shows the Persian king Kashayarsha ( the Greeks called him Xerxes ) being instigated by his naval commander Artemisia to avenge the death of his father Darayavaush ( the Greeks called him Darius ) in battle with the Greeks by invading Greece again .

The Artemisia is a Greek herself but her family was raped and murdered by Greek hoplites ( soldiers ) and she was kept as a sex slave by them , until saved by the Persians . She is hellbent on revenge . It is she who plays villain of the movie , and Kashayarsha ( Xerxes ) takes a backseat as Artemisia leads her troops into battle .

If Kashayarsha ( Xerxes ) was to take such a backseat and have nothing much to do except watch the battle from the sidelines , then why is he shown bathing in a divine liquid and seen emerging as ' God king ' with his appearance changed ?? The only explanation is that the makers of the movie want to give him more importance in the sequel to this movie , which must be on the cards soon .

In this movie the Persians are shown to be whiter in colour than they were last time . The makers of the ' 300 ' series seem to have responded to criticism about the Persians being shown as black in the last movie---not their true skin colour .
( Read more here---
http://www.kavehfarrokh.com/articles/nordicism/6-the-portrayal-of-iranians-and-greeks/ )
But other than skin colour nothing is changed about the Persian king's clothing---he is still shown in underwear and some strange chains around his body and neck . I wonder where the moviemakers got that from ??

Of course , Eva Green looks sexy and full breasted in her role as Artemisia---and she puts her sex appeal to full use as she tries to ensnare the Athenian general Themistokles by her captivating beauty and bring him onto her side by promising to make him her second in command .

So does Themistokles respond to her charm ??
And can the invading Persian fleet burn Athens down as it has sworn it would ??
And will Queen Gorgo of Sparta who lost her husband Leonidas and 300 men against the Persians at the pass of Thermopylae respond to Themistokles' plea and send her ships to fight the Persians ??
Watch the movie for the answers....

3D effects do enhance the pleasure of seeing the fights---ships ramming onto enemy ships , warships exploding into fireballs , swords cutting men down spilling blood in gallons , archers firing accurate arrows mowing down the opponent , warriors shown drowning in the waters of the sea....

And the leaders make rousing speechs about defending Greek liberty and freedom from the ' tyranny ' of the Persians . Greek soldiers are shown to be braver than the Persians and killing more of them .

All in all , I was satisfied with this movie---it had the action I wanted.....

Verdict---exciting stuff .

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
Felt like watching a 3rd person PC game...over use of technology and graphics sucks...
Actually this movie was sh8t or you can say typical Hollywood bullsh8t.
I watched this movie for Eva green and even she has overacted in several scenes.

Director was hell bent on showing Spartans and Greeks as some kind of superhumans.

Nothing that you can relate with history and actions scenes were like those in Tollywood movies,of course with good graphics.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
yes..the film made only one sense .non sense....First part was far better coz the phalanx formation in between two hills made some sense.

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
For those who are not aware: Historically, "Battle of Salamis" (enacted in 300: Rise of an Empire) is considered to be of far more geo-strategic significance than the "Battle of Thermopylae" depicted in 300.

As for the movie, though it utterly lacked the rousing emotional quotient, sheer novelty & King Leonidas & his legion (from the original), it made up for those with excellent depiction of naval battles, relentless bloodbath & gritty action without much pause. I enjoyed it immensely.

Though nothing memorable but definitely, a one-time watch.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
The general "freedom & democracy" theme felt like subtle propaganda while portraying the persians as barbarians who were hell bent on enslaving everyone and this despite being a historic fact that in sparta there were more slaves than spartans but were being told to believe otherwise :yey:

and they have made xerxes into a hippy clown with that clothing...im sure a century down the line hollywood would be showing gandhi as some hip hop artist in fancy clothing :rofl:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Of course , Eva Green looks sexy and full breasted in her role as Artemisia---and she puts her sex appeal to full use as she tries to ensnare the Athenian general Themistokles by her captivating beauty and bring him onto her side by promising to make him her second in command .
A blow-job would work better.

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
Forgot to add xerxes after transformation looked queer and nothing like god king

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
What I remember about the film:4 athenian ships holding some 10,000 or so Persian ships.Really that was height:rofl:

JBH22

I like the rough sex scene with Eva Green :)

Otherwise its a no brainer movie kinda masala movie. good for time pass.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles