Ashdoc's movie review---Ya Rab

ashdoc

Country flag
A controversial film is best seen with the people among whom it raises a controversy , so I changed my usual venue for seeing films and off I went to a multiplex situated in the muslim area of Kurla and watched it with an audience containing a majority of muslims....

And straightaway , I must say that this is one film made straight from the heart ; by people who's heart is in the right place , especially because they are muslims....

It dares to take the bull by the horns and accuse maulanas having tremendous respect and standing in muslim society of fomenting jihad and terrorism by preaching hate in speeches and privately inculcating hatred in impressionable minds , thus encouraging and indeed brainwashing them to become suicide bombers....

And it shows hordes of muslim mobs getting incited by this hate and go on the warpath destroying property and endangering lives.....

It shows videos of hindus attacking muslims being shown to muslims in order to incite hatred for hindus among them....

When a hindu police officer ( played by Ajaz Khan ) tries to reason with one of the jehadis that muslims enjoy more freedom in India than muslim countries , the jehadi retaliates by saying the truth---that muslims enjoy freedom here because hindus are afraid of them....

And the jehadi openly spells the beans on the jehadis' amibition to bring the entire world under the ambit of their fanatical version of islam....

Of course , this is countered by showing liberal muslims too....

An adorable little muslim boy who quotes verses from the Quran to prove that islam does not allow suicide bombing.....

A muslim scholar denounces the fanatics who breed hate....

And a doctor ( played by Manzhar Sehbai ) who is a very conservative muslim in practice ( to the point that his modern wife leaves him ) shows himself to be good man in the end by refusing to listen to the fanatics when it comes to saving lives....

Inspite of this counterbalancing of the fanatics by liberals , it is still a brave film....

For the fanatics are given ample screen space and are shown to have a booming and powerful voice by the redoubtable acting prowess of Akhilendra Mishra , who plays the villain---a radical preacher in cahoots with the ' neighbouring country ' who plans terrorist attacks on Indian soil with the neighbour's help....

Such a film could have been directed only by a muslim and backed by muslims ( like Mahesh Bhatt ) for it to be acceptable , for if a nonmuslim directed it and the film was backed by nonmuslims then it would create a communal uproar....

It shows the story of a beautiful muslim woman ( played by Arjumman Mughal ) who has gone into coma due to a suicide bombing , and who on coming out from it may recognize the suicide bomber---hence the terrorists want her killed along with the fetus she is carrying....

And Inspector Ran Vijay Singh ( played by Ajaz Khan ) leads the efforts to save her , backed by her husband ( played by Vikram Singh )....

But not so easy....!! For muslim mobs incited by the fanatic maulana are playing mayhem on the streets baying for the woman's blood and of those who are trying to save her....

It is Akhilendra Mishra who dominates the film with his booming voice , but Ajaz Khan does look like a dynamic police officer and walk with a swagger though his acting is only okay...

When things turn critical for the beautiful muslim woman's baby , even the good doctor throws his hands up and is forced to beseech God to save the child....

And it is upto muslims themselves to teach a lesson to those among them who spread hate against other religions....

So does God and does the muslim community do the right thing ??
Watch the film for that....

There are of course some silly things shown in the film , like an operation done on the patient in a moving ambulance which is waivering due to an attack by a mob---how can such a thing be possible.....
But I thought to myself---there are even more silly things and stupid scenes in films featuring Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar , and yet we help them make it to the 100 crore 200 crore and even the 300 crore club , then why not ignore these scenes in a film made with true intentions instead of cribbing about them.....

Interspersed in all this is some heavy duty discussion and dialogue about the role of Islam in encouraging or discouraging terrorism , and verses from the Quran and other islamic quotations are liberally thrown about by both parties to back their stand .

The muslim audience with whom I was watching the film was cheering every dialogue denouncing terrorism and clapping as the fanatics got the punishment they richly deserved....
Maybe like the film's makers , they had their hearts in the right place too...
Glad I watched the film with them....

Verdict---Certainly watchable .

ashdoc

Country flag
i have lengthened my review somewhat . mods , could you delete the other ' ya rab ' thread ??

Global Defence

New threads

Articles