Ashdoc's movie review---Split

ashdoc

Country flag
The critics were crowing about this Manoj Night Shyamalan film , and after a long time and a number of bad films he seemed to have found his groove back . So off I went to the theatre , like a loyal Indian to support this director of Indian origin in Hollywood .

The villain is also the leading actor of the film , and he is played by James McAvoy . The heroine is a young girl played by Anya Taylor-Joy . The movie has no hero , for no knight in shining armour comes to save the three young girls including the heroine kidnapped by the villain . The three must try to escape by themselves .

The villain has a strange disorder in which he has multiple personalities . The three young girls must cope with them during their harrowing time with the villain . Sometimes he is menacing , sometimes like a small child , sometimes like a woman , and so on and so forth . But when the girls try to ask his other personalities to help them escape , they don't help . However when the menacing personality comes forth , he is horrible and does bad things to them . The girls are shown in various stages of undress , which makes for some shady viewing . The heroine has a past and present of have suffered sexual abuse , and seems to be most capable of surviving the ordeal because she seems to be capable of manipulating the various personalities for her survival . Maybe the reason is that the villain has suffered childhood abuse himself in the past .

The villain visits has psychiatrist ( played by Betty Buckley ) regularly , and she detects something wrong since his villainous act . She fancies herself an expert on his condition and delivers international speeches on it . The sufferer of this syndrome can have different physical attributes for his different personalities , and the most dangerous of these personalities gives him awesome physical powers like a superhuman .

The psychiatrist decides to visit his place to see what is wrong , and therein lies the chance for three girls to escape . But can they escape ? Will the villain allow this ? The movie will have to be watched for the answers .

The acting by the leading actors is very good and they show a range of emotions . But the movie drags on and on and a satisfactory conclusion is not reached . Shyamalan tries to make cerebral thrillers , but maybe I am not cerebral enough to like what he makes . It cannot be called regular commercial fare and I could not make out if it was an art film ( non cerebral person you know ) , but maybe the hi fundoo people may like it . I being low fundoo , I didn't particularly care for it .

Background score , photography is good and colours are decent . The movie is low budget and has no fancy locations or any stupendous special effects .

Verdict---Not good .

Two stars out of five .

salute

character played by mcavoy has total of 28 personalities but at movie , showed only few of them which are the most dominant ones or others personalities were sacred of soon to be coming the most enraged ' beast ' identity and mcavoy did decent job of performing them ,

typical shyamalan movie but pretty good for such low budget ,

and its a part of a trilogy , a sequel to unbreakable and prelude to upcoming movie glass .

all of shyamalan movies are suspense thriller with a background of either supernatural or sci - fi concept which earned him title of new alfred hitchcock ,

but every shyamalan movie after ' the sixth sense ' got bad reviews from unbreakable to after earth , maybe except some of the the cult following movies ,
to my opinion , the happening and the last airbender are the most worst shyamalan movies ,

even if his movies gets worst to hate reviews still somehow if asked to categorize his movies all of them falls at low medium to medium rating by critics and audience ,
and its a pity , you know , the guy is talented and he could have been awesome writer as already he is a screen writer of his movies and there is something peculiar and interesting about his movies subjects ,
but the setback is coming from his direction , he is not a bad director but his directing style is something like once used too much and he keeps doing all of his movies same way since the sixth sense and so its overused style ,

its like slow burn suspense but the whole movie goes very uneventful and quiet and suddenly it gets loud at last 15 minutes revealing the suspense which keeps teasing during whole movie .

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles