Ashdoc's movie review---Lootera

ashdoc

Country flag
Women in the movies---why dont women in real life resemble their personas....??

In the movies its the women who on many occasions take the lead in wooing and pursuing love , and they fall in love so deeply that they never stop loving.....

That's what Sonakshi Sinha does---fall in love and never really stop loving even though the man she loves does not deserve it.....

Now why haven't I met such a woman in real life ??

LOOTERA---The title of the movie is fully justified....

The hero ( Ranveer Kapoor ) is not only a lootera of the heart but a real one....

And Sonakshi is the daughter of a bengali zamindar who has lived a pampered life with her every demand being met by her indulgent father , and who falls in love with a guy who is a charlatan.....

He comes with his suave charm and smashing looks and sweeps her off her feet to the point that she goes to bed with him.....

And he falls in love too , but cannot go against those who control him and ditches her leaving her father devastated and dead.....

To question again---why haven't I met such women in real life ??

Because Sonakshi continues to love him deep inside even though she is angry and hurt that he did what he did to her father.....or so it seems from what happens in the movie....

And of course , their paths are destined to cross once more---don't they always do in the movies....

Only this time , he is getting payback for his sins and needs a safe haven to survive....

So does Sonakshi give him the safe haven he requires ??

And what happens to their love story ?? How does it end ??

Go and watch the movie to find that out....

The film has a depressing hang to it , and the mood of the movie throughout is dark and sombre....

Of course , the era of the fifties is well captured on celluloid and photography is good....

But the movie moves at slow pace as if to complement that slow paced era , and the events that occur seem to go from bad to worse....

The action , when it comes does little to lift the film's mood and in fact fills you with melancholy.....

.....For if there is justice in the world ( and there is , at least in the movies ) then the lootera will get his comeuppance for his deeds....

But the problem is , the lootera is also the hero !!

Sonakshi has acted really well and has put a convincing performance even though it was difficult to portray a woman who loves a person who has destroyed her life---how can you love such a person ?? But she alternates between loving and loathing him and does convince us of the authenticity of her emotions....

And Ranveer---this was the first film I saw of him....
He may have the looks but does he have the voice ?? In my opinion at least his voice is somewhat on the weaker side....

In fact I liked the voice of his sidekick more because he mimicked Dev Anand perfectly---yeah its the fifties and Dev Anand was such huge star then....

The film starts off in Bengal and ends in Dalhousie in the himalayas , but it never picks up pace....

The perfectionists among movie fans may however find something to admire in it as the moviemaking style of the director spells class....

The music and background score is something to be admired too---especially the haunting violin music that plays at poignant moments of romance between the couple....

But to me at least , the class of the movie didn't make up for what it lacked in content....

Verdict---not good .

Vaivhav Todi

Thanks for the review. I got recommended the movie though haven't watched it yet.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles