Ashdoc's movie review---Ek Villain

ashdoc

Country flag
This movie had already crossed the Rs 100 crore mark in money earned when I finally went to see it.....personal events had prevented me from seeing films for a month and a half , and the movie was already out of most theaters near my house . But since it had become such a hit , I was going to see it even if it entailed walking ( actually riding , but I wanted to sound melodramatic ) miles and miles---for I had promises to keep , of writing reviews and entertaining friends . And so off I went , to a multiplex far away from home to watch this movie and write this review....

So was it worth the wait and worth covering the long distance ?? You bet !!

So what's the story ??

Shraddha Kapoor does not have long to live . Some terminal disease ( which is not named ) is killing her slowly day by day . But before she dies , she wants to live out her dreams---and her dreams are the stuff poetry is made of . Dreams of holding butterflies in her hand before letting them fly , dreams of seeing the peacocks spread their wings in all their glory at the first hint of monsoon , dreams of marrying off couples who have pined long for each other , dreams of turning round some lost soul's life....and taking photos of them all , maybe because this is the age of putting photos on whatsapp and facebook !!

And the lost soul she saves is Siddharth Malhotra , who plays Guru---a criminal who was orphaned in childhood and raised by a gangland boss ( played by Remo Fernandes ) .

Guru falls in love with Aisha ( Shraddha ) . Who wouldn't ?? For Shraddha looks so delicate and flower like and so lovely and with such soft skin ( even without touching her flesh I could realize that !! ).....only a fool would not fall in love with her !!

And Guru decides to help Aisha ( Shraddha ) in realizing her poetic dreams . And as if poetry would be incomplete without a mention of romance , she begins to reciprocate his love . All her attempts to distance herself from him because of her failing health are useless , and the couple gets locked in holy matrimony !! As if to complete the circle of happiness , her health begins to improve !! Dreams that were seeming like fantasy now come close to reality and the earth seems like heaven....

But on the other side of heaven there is hell , and the denizens of hell consist of villains who don't like the residents of heaven to live peacefully....

And one such resident of hell-on-earth is the villain Ritesh Deshmukh , a man who has failed in life---failed to earn a decent living for himself , failed to give a good life to his child , failed to do his job properly , and failed in the eyes of his wife....is he the archetypal marathi manoos as some sections of the media and Bollywood like to paint ??

Ritesh can't bear the taunts of his co workers and his bosses , but above all he can't bear the taunts of his wife ( Aamna Sharif ), who henpecks him to no end . Because of this he turns into a psychopath who kills women so that he can get his hands on their expensive jewelry , so that he can fulfill his wife's demands---such is his love for her....

And one of the women he kills is Aisha ( Shraddha )....

This movieshaking event is shown at the beginning of the film , and the rest of the film moves partly in real time and partly in flashbacks....

So what will become of Guru ( Siddharth Malhotra ) ?? Will the power of the violence that Aisha's love had just tamed resurface in an orgy of revenge ??

And will revenge be delivered on Ritesh , who has just committed such a dastardly crime ?? What will become of his wife and son ??

Watch the movie for the answers....

Ritesh Deshmukh has tried to put up a commendable performance as Villain of the movie who is a psycho but loves his wife to no end , but he simply lacks the evil and menace of real cinematic villains like Amrish Puri and Pran....

Siddharth Malhotra looks ruggedly handsome , but his acting lacks the firepower . Of course , he and Shraddha look cute together .

Which brings us to Shraddha . The movie is at it's best when she is around , and the scenes pictured of her reek of cinematic fantasy rather than reality . Which is exactly what I want....

Or maybe I like her so much that I can't bring myself to say anything bad about her . Maybe she's not as good as I say . You decide for yourself.....

Aamna Sharif looks mouthwatering too , and Kamal Rashid Khan plays what he does best---play the role of a loudmouth and braggart....

Music is good enough , and many of the songs are hummable and worth a repeat hearing .

The movie does drag in the later parts as the revenge saga of Guru and the villain has too many twists and turns , but the director still has saved it by giving us a nice tidy ending....

Yeah...a good movie has a good ending , and the director has not only put a twist in the tale at the end , but that twist has a touch of poetic justice . Aisha ( Shraddha ) would have given an approving nod from heaven....

The movie is dreamily romantic when Shraddha is around ( and I wished she was always around ) , but otherwise is a thriller with some blood and gore in other scenes .

Verdict---Good .

Global Defence

New threads

Articles