Ashdoc's movie review---Dangal

ashdoc

Country flag
Amir Khan plays Mahavir Singh Phogat , a former wrestler who hopes for a son , because that son could potentially turn out to be the wrestler who could deliver what Mahavir couldn't---a gold medal for India in wrestling , a sport that Mahavir had to give up playing due to financial difficulties . But his wife delivers only daughters---four of them .

However one day when his daughters beat up a neighbouring boy , Mahavir realises their fighting potential and decides to make them female wrestlers who could win a medal or two for India in international competitions . His harsh training includes cutting off his daughters' hair , which is thought to be equivalent to loss of femininity in the patriarchal region of Haryana to which he belongs and is resented by his daughters . His passion for making them sportswomen in a sport dominated in India by men is not shared by the daughters , and they decide to refuse to co operate with him---until a teenage bride shows them how their father wants to make something of their lives in contrast to other girls like herself who are forced to marry at 14/15 years in that backward region of India . This makes them train for sports in real zest to make their father's dream come true .

Father makes his daughters wrestle against boys inspite of the sexual taunts that they have to face , and wins the grudging respect of crowds by beating the boys . The elder daughter Geeta goes on to win the national championship in this manner . As she moves to the national sports academy she has to train under a new coach---Pramod Kadam ( Girsh Kulkarni ) . Pramod is a highly egoistic person who brooks no interference in his method of coaching , and is dismissive of Mahavir's methods . Geeta ( played by Fatima Sana Shaikh ) is also impressed by the lifestyle of the sports academy with it's glamour and becomes dismissive of the father , growing her hair and liking the mild attraction that boys show in her newfound femininity .

This leads to a ferocious bout of wrestling between Geeta and her father , and breakdown of relations between them to the chagrin of her mother ( played by Sakshi Tanvar ) and her sister Babita ( played by Sanya Malhotra ) . But as Geeta starts losing her wrestling bouts in tournaments , she runs to who else but daddy dearest for rescue . But daddy's re entry in her training raises the ire and jealousy of her coach , and almost leads to Geeta's eviction from the academy .

So does Geeta go on to win a medal for India ? If so , then which---bronze , silver or gold ? Who is responsible for the win---father or coach ? To what despicable extent does the coach go to stop Amir from hogging the glory of Geeta's success ? Watch the movie for the answers .

The highlight of the movie are the intense wrestling bouts that are shown in the film , showing the indepth study that Amir Khan has made of the sport and it's various techniques and methods---something that is the hallmark of his style of moviemaking . As usual , it seems Amir has directed the movie and the director is a mere figurehead . For the first time in my life I started taking an interest in watching the sport of wrestling , and was watching all the wrestling bouts with rapt attention and admiring them in detail .

Even with cut hair Fatima Sana Sheikh looks real attractive and her full breasts can be made out through the tight clothes of a wrestler , a point that I noticed was not present in other female wrestlers . Now were any special efforts made for her , like padding etc ?

Acting by everyone is decent , and the haryanvi accent is well picked up . Obviously , the movie plays up to the audience's patriotic instincts and we fall hook line and sinker for that , cheering in our hearts for India when Geeta wrestles in international championships . There are no songs and music can be called okay . Photography is okay too though colours are bit dull .

Verdict---Good .

Four stars out of five .

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
4 stars? Wow! I must see this one though I don't see many Bollywood movies which are a sheer waste of time and money.

DingDong

Country flag
Came up on my Facebook TL, not my content

If your middle-class father works really hard, sacrifices pleasures of his life to finance your engineering education with a dream of making you an engineer, that is bad because life is about following YOUR dreams of becoming a wild-life photographer.

But, if your father turns you into a slave of HIS unfulfilled wrestling medal dream, robs you of your childhood, uses punishment as a motivation, that is an inspiring story.

But, making two consecutive movies with exactly opposite message and getting away with it is where he is really having a good laugh at you

(Before you get emotional about this view point of author, treat this as a lesson in marketing. The marketing lesson to derive is that India's TG is varied and diverse and a brand needs to talk differently to different segments to get the TG to relate with them)

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Even with cut hair Fatima Sana Sheikh looks real attractive and her full breasts can be made out through the tight clothes of a wrestler , a point that I noticed was not present in other female wrestlers . Now were any special efforts made for her , like padding etc ?
:rofl:
we've a meticulous observer & reviewer in ashdoc! :D

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Came up on my Facebook TL, not my content

If your middle-class father works really hard, sacrifices pleasures of his life to finance your engineering education with a dream of making you an engineer, that is bad because life is about following YOUR dreams of becoming a wild-life photographer.

But, if your father turns you into a slave of HIS unfulfilled wrestling medal dream, robs you of your childhood, uses punishment as a motivation, that is an inspiring story.

But, making two consecutive movies with exactly opposite message and getting away with it is where he is really having a good laugh at you

(Before you get emotional about this view point of author, treat this as a lesson in marketing. The marketing lesson to derive is that India's TG is varied and diverse and a brand needs to talk differently to different segments to get the TG to relate with them)
well, he could shirk it off saying, it was a biopic.
"aisa tha. dikha diya."
TG is? Target Group?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Amir Khan plays Mahavir Singh Phogat , a former wrestler who hopes for a son , because that son could potentially turn out to be the wrestler who could deliver what Mahavir couldn't---a gold medal for India in wrestling , a sport that Mahavir had to give up playing due to financial difficulties . But his wife delivers only daughters---four of them .

However one day when his daughters beat up a neighbouring boy , Mahavir realises their fighting potential and decides to make them female wrestlers who could win a medal or two for India in international competitions . His harsh training includes cutting off his daughters' hair , which is thought to be equivalent to loss of femininity in the patriarchal region of Haryana to which he belongs and is resented by his daughters . His passion for making them sportswomen in a sport dominated in India by men is not shared by the daughters , and they decide to refuse to co operate with him---until a teenage bride shows them how their father wants to make something of their lives in contrast to other girls like herself who are forced to marry at 14/15 years in that backward region of India . This makes them train for sports in real zest to make their father's dream come true .

Father makes his daughters wrestle against boys inspite of the sexual taunts that they have to face , and wins the grudging respect of crowds by beating the boys . The elder daughter Geeta goes on to win the national championship in this manner . As she moves to the national sports academy she has to train under a new coach---Pramod Kadam ( Girsh Kulkarni ) . Pramod is a highly egoistic person who brooks no interference in his method of coaching , and is dismissive of Mahavir's methods . Geeta ( played by Fatima Sana Shaikh ) is also impressed by the lifestyle of the sports academy with it's glamour and becomes dismissive of the father , growing her hair and liking the mild attraction that boys show in her newfound femininity .

This leads to a ferocious bout of wrestling between Geeta and her father , and breakdown of relations between them to the chagrin of her mother ( played by Sakshi Tanvar ) and her sister Babita ( played by Sanya Malhotra ) . But as Geeta starts losing her wrestling bouts in tournaments , she runs to who else but daddy dearest for rescue . But daddy's re entry in her training raises the ire and jealousy of her coach , and almost leads to Geeta's eviction from the academy .

So does Geeta go on to win a medal for India ? If so , then which---bronze , silver or gold ? Who is responsible for the win---father or coach ? To what despicable extent does the coach go to stop Amir from hogging the glory of Geeta's success ? Watch the movie for the answers .

The highlight of the movie are the intense wrestling bouts that are shown in the film , showing the indepth study that Amir Khan has made of the sport and it's various techniques and methods---something that is the hallmark of his style of moviemaking . As usual , it seems Amir has directed the movie and the director is a mere figurehead . For the first time in my life I started taking an interest in watching the sport of wrestling , and was watching all the wrestling bouts with rapt attention and admiring them in detail .

Acting by everyone is decent , and the haryanvi accent is well picked up . Obviously , the movie plays up to the audience's patriotic instincts and we fall hook line and sinker for that , cheering in our hearts for India when Geeta wrestles in international championships . There are no songs and music can be called okay . Photography is okay too though colours are bit dull .

Verdict---Good .

Four stars out of five .
:hmm:
I haven't watched the movie But important topic was discussed.
Regarding boobies: In sports and gyms sports bra is used. They prevent them from swinging, and make the breastices look smaller. In sports like wrestling I think it is mandatory to wear sports bra.
In the movie, i believe she isn't wearing a sports bra which movie makers probably did for pervs like us.

For science.

Blackwater

one thing is clear we got chutiya coaches and babus sitting in sports ministry ,specially in ladies section

hope this movie improves condition of Indian woman sports and more over female child importance in north india where female foeticide is on high spree

over all positive good movie

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
I won't be watching this movie after Pk and intolerance...
and even before that, recall which brigade he was in & what he had uttered when NaMo's PMship was imminent.

since his early days as a pseudo activist-cadet (Narmada-bachaao & what-not), the chap has demonstrated a consistently snakey-sickular colour. baaki beech-beech mein idhar-udhar gulaati to maarta hi rahta hai....dhandha jo karna hai, maal jo bechna hai.

BTW watch the movie, using *unhu-unhu* source. saanp jhole mein bhi aa jaayega, aur laathi bhi khaayega. ;)

GTM900

Listening to a toilet flush is better than watching this movie.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles