Ashdoc's movie review---Bajirao Mastani

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
First half of the movie is really enjoyable, but second half turns slow, some weak points of the movie :-

1. Loose script at many places.
2. Bajirao is depicted more eccentric than an intelligent warrior.
3. Mastani looked like tharki :noidea:
4. Dialogue delivery at some places seemed robotic, even in the songs lazy lip-syncing.
5. I failed to understand when Bajirao and Mastani fell seriously in love, their facial expressions and scenes were pointing that it was not more than a flirty affair ! may be due to the lack of better acting/script ?

Plus points :-
1. Sets
2. Costumes
3. Visuals and shots
4. Good direction in the first half and music.
5. Theme and plot.

Acting wise points :- Ranvir - 3/5, Deepika - 2/5 , Priyanka - 3.5/5 not more than it :noidea:
Overall a good watch @ticket.

Loved the opening dialogue - "Apni Dharti, apna raaj, Shivaji ka ek hi sapna, Hindu swaraj".

That must have given seizures to liberals. I don't know how that passed through the censor.

Worst line by far was "Our (Marathas) fight is against the Mughul Sultanate. Not against Islam." Bhansali made Baji Rao into a pseudo secular. This is what Baji Rao actually said :-

I wish they had shown more about Maharaja Chattarsaal but that would take a whole movie on its own.:)
Yeah ! it also contains PK like anti-Hindu rhetoric due to which the protagonist dies.

Last edited:

A chauhan

Country flag
So this is the reason NDTV gave more star to this movie than Dilwaley. :cool3:
Not only NDTV ! search "Bajirao Mastani review" on google almost all the foreign media has a positive review on it.

ashdoc

Country flag
my answer to the bengalis---

Those invasions were by raghuji bhosale of Nagpur who was enemy of bajirao in the maratha court . But it was those invasions which rocked the foundations of the nawab's islamic rule in west bengal . Interestingly only that region of Bengal that was attacked by marathas is with India today . Rest is Bangladesh.
Later the son of bajirao ( peshwa nanasaheb ) defeated the bhosales and stopped maratha invasions of Bengal. But if raghuji bhosale had conquered Bengal then whole of Bengal would have been with India today.

Coalmine

Country flag
my answer to the bengalis---

Those invasions were by raghuji bhosale of Nagpur who was enemy of bajirao in the maratha court . But it was those invasions which rocked the foundations of the nawab's islamic rule in west bengal . Interestingly only that region of Bengal that was attacked by marathas is with India today . Rest is Bangladesh.
Later the son of bajirao ( peshwa nanasaheb ) defeated the bhosales and stopped maratha invasions of Bengal. But if raghuji bhosale had conquered Bengal then whole of Bengal would have been with India today.
Thanks for the info. I didnt know that. I can give a fitting reply to anyone now
BTW the article is written by shoib daniyal not a bengali.

ashdoc

Country flag
Seeing the movie again---

Seeing Bajirao Mastani again , I was struck by the stupidity of the Pune brahmins and Bajirao's mother and brother and elder son . Why could they not let Bajirao have what he wanted---company of Mastani ?? It was to Bajirao that they all owed their position . If he was not so gallant and brave the maratha empire would not have been so great . It was he who had transformed the kingdom established by Shivaji into an empire . It was due to his military genius that they all ( Pune brahmins ) were enjoying the perks they did---for it was he who had effectively transferred the power that the maratha caste enjoyed in the kingdom ( Shivaji was maratha by caste ) to the brahmins and made the brahmins supreme . Why could they not set aside their narrow religious beliefs to let the great peshwa enjoy the love of Mastani ?? If it is true that Bajirao died because he was pining for Mastani , then they were shooting the maratha empire in the foot . Because after Bajirao's death his son Nanasaheb took some time to establish himself as Peshwa . In the meantime many precious years were lost---years that could have been spent in expanding the empire . And Nanasaheb could not prove to be as great as Bajirao . Coould the Pune brahmins not put their narrow religious beliefs aside for the sake of the empire ??

But Bajirao's infatuation with Mastani to the opposition of everyone also proves why he is deservedly considered a lesser political personality than Shivaji . Though Shivaji was kind to his wives he would have never gone against the clergy and society for a woman if it harmed politics of the kingdom . For him expansion of his kingdom was above all else . Though he was not brahmin he used to go to considerable lengths to keep the brahmins in good humour . He was never so much in love with a woman that he would pine for her to the cost of the kingdom's politics . That is why he was able to establish a kingdom in the face of such powerful opposition from the mughals , the sultan of bijapur , the siddi of janjira , the portuguese and the english . Bajirao actually died pining for a woman !! All his greatness lost for a woman !! Then he was not as great as Shivaji !!

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Seeing the movie again---

Seeing Bajirao Mastani again , I was struck by the stupidity of the Pune brahmins and Bajirao's mother and brother and elder son . Why could they not let Bajirao have what he wanted---company of Mastani ?? It was to Bajirao that they all owed their position . If he was not so gallant and brave the maratha empire would not have been so great . It was he who had transformed the kingdom established by Shivaji into an empire . It was due to his military genius that they all ( Pune brahmins ) were enjoying the perks they did---for it was he who had effectively transferred the power that the maratha caste enjoyed in the kingdom ( Shivaji was maratha by caste ) to the brahmins and made the brahmins supreme . Why could they not set aside their narrow religious beliefs to let the great peshwa enjoy the love of Mastani ?? If it is true that Bajirao died because he was pining for Mastani , then they were shooting the maratha empire in the foot . Because after Bajirao's death his son Nanasaheb took some time to establish himself as Peshwa . In the meantime many precious years were lost---years that could have been spent in expanding the empire . And Nanasaheb could not prove to be as great as Bajirao . Coould the Pune brahmins not put their narrow religious beliefs aside for the sake of the empire ??

But Bajirao's infatuation with Mastani to the opposition of everyone also proves why he is deservedly considered a lesser political personality than Shivaji . Though Shivaji was kind to his wives he would have never gone against the clergy and society for a woman if it harmed politics of the kingdom . For him expansion of his kingdom was above all else . Though he was not brahmin he used to go to considerable lengths to keep the brahmins in good humour . He was never so much in love with a woman that he would pine for her to the cost of the kingdom's politics . That is why he was able to establish a kingdom in the face of such powerful opposition from the mughals , the sultan of bijapur , the siddi of janjira , the portuguese and the english . Bajirao actually died pining for a woman !! All his greatness lost for a woman !! Then he was not as great as Shivaji !!
It is just a movie. What does historical evidence say in this matter?

If Bajirao really died for the woman then he was a bit stupid.

A chauhan

Country flag

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
It was what I was afraid of.. a 2.5 hrs movie with barely half hour spent on war against Mughals & Niazm, while the rest wasted on silly romantic nonsense. The less I say about the 'actors', the better.

If there is any truth in how Bajirao undermined his family, rule and future for some silly romance, my respect for him certainly goes down. It just means that though he might have been a great tactician and warrior, he was short-sighted and threw away a lot over some chick.

ashdoc

Country flag
on other websites where i wrote the post many people are raising doubts about whether bajirao really died pining for mastani . actually he may have died due to heat stroke . it is the movie which shows him dying pining for mastani but movies always exaggerate romance dont they....so the premise of my whole post ( my second post that is , not my review ) may be false . maybe it was just bad luck that he died so early.

salute

That makes SS Rajamouli is the great director in India. He made 1.5 hrs war sequence inspired by Hindu ethos/values/Mahabharat.

But BM

Watched yesterday/torrent, I really didn't like the movie much, 2hrs love&secularism.Why why hindi producers& directors always appeases Islamists? why can't they made a simple straight movie? For me it is Jodha akbar2. :facepalm:
me dont go for bollywood movies,

its they all just boring soap-opera,tell you,
why do they movies at all,they should be making soap-operas instead, :laugh:

all bollywood movies especially all the bhansalis,johars,badjatiyas,etc........ rohit shetty.....they all make soap operas at best, :laugh:

no wait,
rohit shetty ??? were there jumping scorpios ???

you guys arguing about bs bollywood movies. :facepalm:

A chauhan

Country flag
me dont go for bollywood movies,

its they all just boring soap-opera
Lol! true, Indian tv serials are "repeated domestic-conspiracies" IMO. I too don't watch bollywood(Indian) movies, but Baahubali & Bajirao-Mastani forced me to watch, while I didn't like the "secular" rhetoric on BM I liked the backgrounds and special effects.

dhananjay1

This movie turned out to be more preachy and repulsive than I expected. Bajirao is turned into Devadas type obsessive suicidal loverboy spouting humne ghar chhoda hai rasmo ko toda hai type dialogues, and lecturing people on secularism like a JNU scumbag. The movie comes complete with token evil brahaman stroking his shikha and generally being evil. The script looks like it might be dreamed up by a missionary or some taqiyya artist. As for being 'historical', it's as much historical as lord of the rings.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles