Ashdoc's movie review---Bahubali the conclusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdoc

Country flag
The only show in town , or rather the only show in India this weekend---S S Rajamouli's magnum opus 'Bahubali the conclusion ( part second )'....for it had hogged almost all shows and all screens at all multiplexes and theatres in the country....and it seemed all of India was streaming to watch the movie on sunday....for inspite of the enormous number of screens fixed for the film , the seats were packed to full capacity....And the owners of the multiplex were taking full advantage of the situation , for advertisements after advertisements followed each other prolonging the wait for the audience....when the movie finally started , there were whistles even from the uber cool and ultra sophisticated audience with whom I was watching the movie....yes , ashdoc brings you these reviews by watching movies in the best of places and among the best of people....

The movie begins with two onscreen giants ( Amarendra Bahubali played by Prabhas , and Bhallala deva played by Rana Daggubati ) locked in eternal rivalry over the throne of the magnificent kingdom of Mahishmati....and they soon become rivals for the affection of the princess ( Devasena played by Anushka Shetty ) of the kingdom of Kuntala too . And like always , it is the nice guys who are at the receiving end of injustice....for Bhallala Deva and his father ( Nassar playing Bijjaladeva ) hatch a plot to not only remove Amarendra from the seat of power but also finish him off....

Presiding over this mayhem is the queen ( Maharani Sivagami played by Ramya Krishnan ) , and taking part in all this not from the sidelines but right in the centre of it all is Kattappa ( played by Sathyaraj )....after all , he is the one who kills Bahubali---an unsolved mystery from the last film and a subject of countless jokes on whatsapp ; it would not be a exaggeration to say that many people had come to see the film to know why Kattappa killed Bahubali....

But behold the justice of providence....Amarendra Bahubali's son has been born and saved from the cruel fate planned for him by the villains , looks exactly like his father and has been named as Mahendra Bahubali....he has come to avenge the death of his father and the imprisoning of his mother , and he has come with his future consort ( played by the gorgeous Tammanah ) ; the battle royale is about to be fought....

The first one hour does drag a bit---some incidents and acting during this period is not too convincing and not too serious....but as the interval approached the audience was bombarded with heart thumping music that aroused the senses---the movie had begun to pick up real momentum at this point....

In the second half , the movie does develop into an engaging story . Again as the climax approached , the movie seemed to stretch a little too long and I was waiting for the final battle to begin . As the final battle ended , once more the bombardment of heart pounding music that electrified the senses....if you want to enjoy it fully , see the movie equipped with Dolby atmos sound as I did .

The final battle however is not as well showcased as the battle between the armies of Mahishmati and the armies of barbarians that was shown in the last part . The battle in the first part was truly equal to Hollywood in standards . This time , the final battle was not so great in scale and not photographed with such exquisite skill .

So does S S Rajamouli's effort pay off ? Yes , in the final analysis it does . For the movie is still far grand than anything that has been filmed in India so far . The grandeur of the vast palaces , the perfection of the weapons used for war , the scale of the monuments in the city , the inventiveness shown in filming the individual fighting scenes , the size of the animals like elephants and oxen , the richness of the clothes worn by the royals---all speaks of super extravagance . Acting is decent enough , colours of the film are good , songs and background music are hummable , and the main characters seem like towering figures on the silver screen . 'Bahubali' is truly the pinnacle of extravagant cinematography .

Verdict---Good .

Three and a half stars .

Srinivas_K

Country flag
I saw the movie, it is good!
Your review is good.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
The only show in town , or rather the only show in India this weekend---S S Rajamouli's magnum opus 'Bahubali the conclusion ( part second )'....for it had hogged almost all shows and all screens at all multiplexes and theatres in the country....and it seemed all of India was streaming to watch the movie on sunday....for inspite of the enormous number of screens fixed for the film , the seats were packed to full capacity....And the owners of the multiplex were taking full advantage of the situation , for advertisements after advertisements followed each other prolonging the wait for the audience....when the movie finally started , there were whistles even from the uber cool and ultra sophisticated audience with whom I was watching the movie....yes , ashdoc brings you these reviews by watching movies in the best of places and among the best of people....

The movie begins with two onscreen giants ( Amarendra Bahubali played by Prabhas , and Bhallala deva played by Rana Daggubati ) locked in eternal rivalry over the throne of the magnificent kingdom of Mahishmati....and they soon become rivals for the affection of the princess ( Devasena played by Anushka Shetty ) of the kingdom of Kuntala too . And like always , it is the nice guys who are at the receiving end of injustice....for Bhallala Deva and his father ( Nassar playing Bijjaladeva ) hatch a plot to not only remove Amarendra from the seat of power but also finish him off....

Presiding over this mayhem is the queen ( Maharani Sivagami played by Ramya Krishnan ) , and taking part in all this not from the sidelines but right in the centre of it all is Kattappa ( played by Sathyaraj )....after all , he is the one who kills Bahubali---an unsolved mystery from the last film and a subject of countless jokes on whatsapp ; it would not be a exaggeration to say that many people had come to see the film to know why Kattappa killed Bahubali....

But behold the justice of providence....Amarendra Bahubali's son has been born and saved from the cruel fate planned for him by the villains , looks exactly like his father and has been named as Mahendra Bahubali....he has come to avenge the death of his father and the imprisoning of his mother , and he has come with his future consort ( played by the gorgeous Tammanah ) ; the battle royale is about to be fought....

The first one hour does drag a bit---some incidents and acting during this period is not too convincing and not too serious....but as the interval approached the audience was bombarded with heart thumping music that aroused the senses---the movie had begun to pick up real momentum at this point....

In the second half , the movie does develop into an engaging story . Again as the climax approached , the movie seemed to stretch a little too long and I was waiting for the final battle to begin . As the final battle ended , once more the bombardment of heart pounding music that electrified the senses....if you want to enjoy it fully , see the movie equipped with Dolby atmos sound as I did .

The final battle however is not as well showcased as the battle between the armies of Mahishmati and the armies of barbarians that was shown in the last part . The battle in the first part was truly equal to Hollywood in standards . This time , the final battle was not so great in scale and not photographed with such exquisite skill .

So does S S Rajamouli's effort pay off ? Yes , in the final analysis it does . For the movie is still far grand than anything that has been filmed in India so far . The grandeur of the vast palaces , the perfection of the weapons used for war , the scale of the monuments in the city , the inventiveness shown in filming the individual fighting scenes , the size of the animals like elephants and oxen , the richness of the clothes worn by the royals---all speaks of super extravagance . Acting is decent enough , colours of the film are good , songs and background music are hummable , and the main characters seem like towering figures on the silver screen . 'Bahubali' is truly the pinnacle of extravagant cinematography .

Verdict---Good .

Three and a half stars .
if you have watched in hindi, i donno how good the dialogues have been translated.
watched it both in tamil and telugu, even in tamil some dialogues missed the beat.

in telugu some of the dialogues(even with few words) carried good weight and good beat.

ashdoc

Country flag
tollywood is free from the hold of the karachi based mafia that controls bollywood . thank god for regional cinema in preserving pride in our hindu culture .

kattappa plays bhishma like role and bijjaladeva plays shakuni , if you want to draw parallels with mahabharat .

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
few thoughts came to my mind after watching the movie...

1) fundamentally we are violent people, the level of violence that goes around in Rajamouli's head was fabulous to see. thank god for yoga and meditation, otherwise i donno what we would have done to planet earth.

2) commie liberals are going to be so upset after watching the movie, they have spent more than 50 years trying to make us forget about Civilizational bharat and make us believe in their version of India(the post independence india). Movies like baahubali can undo all of that , just like that.

3) i felt that rajamouli paid tributes to many things in the course of the movie. other than the obvious ones like religion, kambala was shown in the movie.

vinuzap

its a great trumph as its hindi version only set to break dangal record and culturally its a significant movie for india cinema

the portrayl of krishna, lord shiva and ganesh is refreshing and the khan dan is brutally exposed

Bahubali 2 sends shock waves across Bollywood

Who would have thought that a Telugu film will open with over 100 crore on the first day and Hindi dubbed version will set all-time record. Well, the unimaginable has been done by Baahubali 2 The Conclusion.

The monstrous opening has come as a shock to the trade pundits. The Hindi dubbed version of the film has opened with massive 40.7 crore opening. It has come on a working day and also in less number of screens (4050). The original Telugu and Tamil versions were released in South so the Hindi screens were very few.

Bahubali 2 Hindi version is the first bumper opener since Salman Khan’s Sultan which was released on Eid. But BB2 has proved that you do not need festivals for getting bumper initials. There is also IPL going on which have zero impact on the film’s business. In fact it was the other way around. We have seen in the past that many filmmakers blamed IPL for the poor box office performance of their films. Lately, big Bollywood films were not releasing during IPL.

Baahubali 2 has indeed shown the true potential of Indian box office. While none of the non-Khan starrer has even crossed 200 crores, Baahubali 2 will do so in two days flat. It will also become the highest grossing Indian film of all time in the first week itself. The film has also smashed highest overseas weekend record in just one day.

Only Thursday previews collection was higher than lifetime overseas collection of all Bollywood films of 2017 except Raees (which will be crossed in 2.5 days). Meanwhile, it has crossed 220 crore mark at the worldwide box office. The opening day collection is higher than the lifetime business of films like Rustom, Airlift, Ra One, Dabangg etc.

The historic opening has sparked a debate that whether films need star power, festivals or not. The comparisons are being made between Bollywood and South Indian industry. Some are putting Prabhas and Baahubali against the Khan trio. It is a ridiculous comparison as Khans have sustained their stardom for too long and Baahubali can be a once in a lifetime situation.

But yes it has shown the true potential of Indian films. Surely Baahubali 2 will prove to be a game-changer for Indian cinema. This can open Hindi market for South Indian films. Next, we will see the release of big budget Robot 2 in North. It also features Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar which will boost the collection. Prabhas’s next is also a big film which will also be released in Hindi version.

Well, it’s time for Bollywood filmmakers to wake up. They should make pan-Indian films on big scales rather than only films for 5-6 city audience. Or else regional and Hollywood film industry will take over Bollywood once the Khan trio will retire.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Sathyaraj (Kattappa in the film) is my neighbor and we go for walks together. He described how he worked nonstop for 150 days to get it right! He said he's never been through such a tough grind before but overall the shooting was enjoyable!

He insisted the movie be seen on IMAX for the special effects with the well-rounded and realistic 3D soundscape!

I haven't seen the movie yet, but hope to see it so soon - on IMAX! :cool3:

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Friend of mine shares the same surname as prabhas.

There is something in their family genes, men are very tall.

Yggdrasil

Country flag
Time to learn telugu :)
Good luck! Once in a fit of curiosity and to know more about our South Indian brethren and connect with them better (and because it's an under-exposed part of our country in general, with a rich culture) I tried to learn Tamil.

It's very very difficult for a Hindi speaker (though I'm not a native Hindi speaker but speak it well enough).

There should be greater linguistic exchange between the north and south. In exchange for Tamil Nadu offering Hindi as a second language, UP / Bihar / Rajasthan / MP should offer Tamil as a second language.

Many Keralites are really good with Malyalam, Tamil, Hindi and English. Why can't the rest of India?

Eventually Sanskrit should be our national language - one can certainly dream!

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
@angeldude13 @Mikesingh - totally! in the beginning it is mellow, with tidbits of action distributed here 'n there, but post the section when Kuntal gets attacked, there is no stopping! from the moment AM reveals his true identity, full-on high-octane action! i watched the movie in imax only, brother had watched in atmos & then he came again with me to imax. the least you could do is watch it in atmos; and the best, in imax! BTW nice to know that you're a neighbour of Mr. Sathyaraj @Mikesingh! :)

i had missed watching BB1 in a theatre. but thankfully atleast bought its blu ray disc later on which has encoding in atmos and i too happen to have an atmos-enabled & configured home-theatre set-up at home, so could do a little justice with the movie-experience overall and it was enjoyable, yes. but now thinking to go and watch BB1 again in the multiplex as its also reshowing side-by-side with BB2, & if it happens to be in an atmos or 4DX theatre, then no question of not watching!

(BB1 also had a very similar pace and i didnt complain then and nor complaining with BB2. i like that. and BB1's initial Shivlingam scene/song sung by Kailash Kher, subsequently the Samskrit song 'Dheevara', and the climax battlefield action are the biggest gems in the movie, that i have watched over 'n over again, and dont get exhausted!)

P.S. - @ezsasa one should question those fiberals & dravidian jihadis why BB2 wasnt dubbed in Kannada! (has it been?)

Last edited:

Krusty

Country flag
Sathyaraj (Kattappa in the film) is my neighbor and we go for walks together. He described how he worked nonstop for 150 days to get it right! He said he's never been through such a tough grind before but overall the shooting was enjoyable!

He insisted the movie be seen on IMAX for the special effects with the well-rounded and realistic 3D soundscape!

I haven't seen the movie yet, but hope to see it so soon - on IMAX! :cool3:
Wait what?!?!? :eek1: Are you in TN? That too living next door to satyaraj? :hail:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
(BB1 also had a very similar pace and i didnt complain then and nor complaining with BB2. i like that. and BB1's initial Shivlingam scene/song sung by Kailash Kher, subsequently the Samskrit song 'Dheevara', and the climax battlefield action are the biggest gems in the movie, that i have watched over 'n over again, and dont get exhausted!)
Exactly my feels.
Esp. loved the songs and the videos and the samskrita chanting in Dheerane; and the dramatic tunes, the sacrifice scene.
And esp. that horse scene towards the last war with that super strong speech by prabhas and the stunt on the horse.
Watched'em over and over again. Guilty.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles