Army scraps the world's largest assault rifle tender

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
"No one uses and likes INSAS LMG in Indian forces. People prefer 7.62 LMG... still today the weapon remains part of IA ..."

Once again dont palm off your personal motivated opinion as IA opinion.
Actually its the only one point i agre with him.INSAS LMG is a failure and if you check the net,video footages you could see soldiers carrying brens in numbers where soldiers with INSAS LMG is like spotting 3 legged unicorn in the state of kansas.

blueblood

Actually its the only one point i agre with him.INSAS LMG is a failure and if you check the net,video footages you could see soldiers carrying brens in numbers where soldiers with INSAS LMG is like spotting 3 legged unicorn in the state of kansas.
Only for RR because of more stopping power. Bren was not the best even in its hay day.

AK>Insas
Bren>Insas LMG

pmaitra

Well to begin with, the following excerpt (shown in bold type) on the units in which the British/Commonwealth version of the FN FAL, the L1A1 SLR, was dimensioned and engineered was inserted for informational purposes only:

Whether metric or imperial units were employed in dimensioning and engineering the weapons is quite immaterial. It is just that back in the 1950s and early 1960s when the Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield began producing the L1A1 SLR, the British version of the FN FAL, everything was done in imperial units, as were the L1A1 SLRs produced in other Commonwealth countries, as the imperial system was the normal (and legal) system of weights and measures for engineering back then.

(Much to the chagrin of many engineers in English-speaking countries who greatly preferred the metric system to imperial. Metric is clearly a much better system for engineering than imperial. The American auto industry, for example, adopted metric in the early 1970s and all U.S.-made motor vehicles made from about 1973 onwards have been dimensioned and engineered in metric.)

So there were effectively two versions of the FN FAL out there in the wider world, the original Belgian (metric) version and its other national versions and derivatives made under licence from FN, and the British/Commonwealth (imperial) version made in the UK and in other Commonwealth countries, e.g. the Long Branch Arsenal in Ontario, Canada, the Lithgow Small Arms Factory in New South Wales, Australia, etc. I mentioned it for the sake of adding information and background to my post.

By the way, 1 mile is not 1.59 kilometres; it is 1.609 kilometres, or: 1,609 metres.
Thank you for the well explained post.

Yes, you are correct, 1 mile - 1.609 km. I was wrong.

Now, coming back to the two versions you mentioned, I think this stems from a confusion about interchangeability of parts.

The FN-FALs made in India have parts that are not interchangeable with either the metric or imperial parts. The problem, however, does not stem from what units these parts are specified in. The problem is that the Indian FN-FALs were produced in-house after talks between GoI and FN broke down. If specifications are accurate, parts from an imperial FN-FAL would will be interchangeable with the parts of a metric FN-FAL.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles