Army gets indigenous weapon locating radar

lcafanboy

Country flag
System being used along the LoC: Army Chief
The Army on Thursday received an indigenous weapon locating radar (WLR), named Swati, from the DRDO. The organisation also handed over a Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) recce vehicle and NBC treatment drugs to the Army.

Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said the export potential (of the WLR) would be explored only after the Army’s requirement is fulfilled.

“You know Swati has done its job well when the LoC is devoid of any heavy artillery,” he observed.

Army Chief Gen Bipin Rawat called the system a success. “It is being used extensively along the LoC by us,” he stated.

Swati has a range of 50 km, which brings all artillery guns presently in service worldwide under coverage. Four systems are currently in operation and another 30 are on order for the Army.

Talking about the capability of the system, a senior Defence official said that it was pressed into service along the LoC last year. The WLR played a major role in suppressing their [Pakistani] fire, he added.

WLR is a coherent, electronically scanned C-Band pulse doppler radar. The radar automatically locates hostile artillery, mortars and rocket launchers and tracks friendly fire to locate the impact point of friendly artillery fire to issue necessary corrections.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/army-gets-indigenous-weapon-locating-radar/article17392500.ece

lcafanboy

Country flag
As per India tv SWATI weapons locating Radar system was being used for last 2-3 months which has reduced cross border shelling from Pakistan as Indian army retaliated and destroyed Pakistani positions immediately using this system.

lcafanboy

Country flag
India Looking To Export Home-Made Weapons Locating Radar

India is looking to export its ‘Swati’ radar which can provide accurate location of all enemy weapons in a 50-km range.

SWATI will track all enemy weapons like mortars, shells and rockets firing within in its effective zone of coverage and simultaneously handle multiple projectiles fired from different weapons at different locations.

“The system is capable of adjusting the fire of our own artillery weapon also. The weapon includes 81 mm or higher caliber mortars, 105 mm or higher caliber shells and 120 mm or higher caliber free-flying rockets. Thus WLR has two roles to perform i.e. Weapon Location Mode for enemy Artillery and Direction of Own artillery Fire (DOOAF) Mode for our own Artillery,” said a DRDO official as reported by Sputnik News.

India is exploring export of SWATI but only after the Army’s requirement is fulfilled. Army chief Gen Bipin Rawat was quoted as saying earlier , “It is being used extensively along the Line of Control (LoC) by us,”. Indian Army has ordered 30 such systems over the next few years.

“SWATI could be a great equipment to ensure adversaries do not use artillery fire. If the LoC is devoid of any artillery fire in the near future, you can be sure SWATI radar has gone there,”
Manohar Parrikar, Indian Defense Minister, said.

Parrikar asked defense scientists to work on developing active array weapon locating radar and hand it over to Army in the next few years.
http://www.defenseworld.net/news/18...Home_Made_Weapons_Locating_Radar#.WLoB8jG0nIV

A very good news indeed for weapons exports.

@sayarekd @all @Kunal Biswas

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag

The Army on Thursday received an indigenous weapon locating radar (WLR), named Swati, from the DRDO. The organisation also handed over a Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) recce vehicle and NBC treatment drugs to the Army.

Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said the export potential (of the WLR) would be explored only after the Army’s requirement is fulfilled.

“You know Swati has done its job well when the LoC is devoid of any heavy artillery,” he observed.

Army Chief Gen Bipin Rawat called the system a success. “It is being used extensively along the LoC by us,” he stated.

Swati has a range of 50 km, which brings all artillery guns presently in service worldwide under coverage. Four systems are currently in operation and another 30 are on order for the Army.

Talking about the capability of the system, a senior Defence official said that it was pressed into service along the LoC last year. The WLR played a major role in suppressing their [Pakistani] fire, he added.

WLR is a coherent, electronically scanned C-Band pulse doppler radar. The radar automatically locates hostile artillery, mortars and rocket launchers and tracks friendly fire to locate the impact point of friendly artillery fire to issue necessary corrections.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/army-gets-indigenous-weapon-locating-radar/article17392500.ece
Wasn't there in Pakistani news outlets that Indian border forces were violating ceasefire & Pakistani soldiers fired back?

Then, other member told me that they just detected their locations.
Ab samajh main aaya!:bounce:

Chalo, Kisi kaam toh aaye yaar. Possibly, somebody provoked Pakistanis to test WLR.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Sweet system, I wish it could be also mounted on lighter vehicle ..
Actually the RADAR could be mounted, but the problem is the power source for these systems. Seen it recently up close and personal. The power consumption could be termed as humongous. Wish we could develop a portable unit for the same. Then we could load it in some four wheeler 407 too.

SanjeevM

Country flag
I hope now once we detect enemy's location, our guns directly hit the targets and take the cost to Pakistan by destroying their guns. This can be a game changer as it will render their conventional guns ineffective. :india:

charlie

Country flag
This radar was suppose to inducted quite long ago it has issue, I am not sure about temp range but I think DRDO said it was suppose to work till -20 degree but user found out it did't work above -10 degree or so.

SanjeevM

Country flag
Even if it works at -10 degree now, I can still be deployed on punjab an some parts of Jammu and Kashmir. Issues can be resolved later as well. What is more important is taking the cost of cease fire violations to Pakistan. I am sure it's just the beginning with Modi government at Centre. These technologies are now being actually used.

charlie

Country flag
Even if it works at -10 degree now, I can still be deployed on punjab an some parts of Jammu and Kashmir. Issues can be resolved later as well. What is more important is taking the cost of cease fire violations to Pakistan. I am sure it's just the beginning with Modi government at Centre. These technologies are now being actually used.
I think the issue has been solved by now as I saw the video more then 3 to 5 years ago.

charlie

Country flag
LIKELY the delay was to rectfy this also this can be fixed/ further improved with new Software patches basically radars rely on the improved algos to achieve maximum optimization.
My bad actually I mixed up. I saw a video of Rohini radar and mixed it up with WLR. I watched it long time ago hence the mix up.

watch from 7:25

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति

The radar works by tracking flying shells and extrapolating the entire trajectory from launch to impact.
Few questions:-
  • Free-flying rockets means MRLS rockets and rocket-assisted artillery rounds?
  • Its range of 50 km should mean that it should be able to track rounds flying within that radius, right? This means that even if the round is fired by a MRLS that is more than 70 km away, if it overflies the radar's detection envelope, the radar should still be able to give an estimate of the the MRLS's location based on extrapolation.
  • Can we not develop an algorithm in its software whereby it quickly calculates the trajectory of the first approaching round of a barrage and instantly transmits that information to C2 node which automatically and seamlessly transmits an advanced warning to the army unit which is being targeted? Will the army unit require software-defined radios for this system to work? Also, do we have such a system in place for, say, an impending airstrike or ballistic missile strike (considering they are easier to track and launch to impact time is more)?
  • Will they be placed within 2-3 km from LOC or further back?
  • In a terrain like the Nubra valley, where are they usually placed? Valley floor or as high on the mountain as you can go?
  • Do 30 radars mean that an open front of roughly 2700 km will be covered? (considering each radar is placed within 2-3 km from the front)
Thanks.

Edit:
One more question, are these deployed under artillery SATA units?

Last edited:

charlie

Country flag
  • Free-flying rockets means MRLS rockets and rocket-assisted artillery rounds? ------------yes
  • Its range of 50 km should mean that it should be able to track rounds flying within that radius, right? This means that even if the round is fired by a MRLS that is more than 70 km away, if it overflies the radar's detection envelope, the radar should still be able to give an estimate of the the MRLS's location based on extrapolation.--------------NO, it won't be able give an accurate estimate of MLRS fired as accuracy would decarese as the system will only work with software algorithm and not with radar data.
  • Can we not develop an algorithm in its software whereby it quickly calculates the trajectory of the first approaching round of a barrage and instantly transmits that information to C2 node which automatically and seamlessly transmits an advanced warning to the army unit which is being targeted? Will the army unit require software-defined radios for this system to work? Also, do we have such a system in place for, say, an impending airstrike or ballistic missile strike (considering they are easier to track and launch to impact time is more)?--------------------I didn't understand your question properly but I will answer what ever I think I understand
  • --------As soon as you bring the human in between things get delayed and our army is not that integrated, even the US army is not capable of doing it. SDR warning can be given by console operator at command centre through voice or through text message but it will be too late as from the round fired to round reaches the target takes 2 or 3 second and no one is that fast. You have to count the time console operator will see the data and analyze it and see which area it is going to land and look at the patch or simil select where he has to provide the warning by that time it will be too late only a siren warning is feasible.
  • Will they be placed within 2-3 km from LOC or further back?----can't answer, lack of knowledge.
  • In a terrain like the Nubra valley, where are they usually placed? Valley floor or as high on the mountain as you can go? ---can't answer, lack of knowledge.
  • Do 30 radars mean that an open front of roughly 2700 km will be covered? (considering each radar is placed within 2-3 km from the front)-------- not all 30 will be deployed normally they will have some as back up.

vikasdangi

Country flag
Pakistan had low-level surveillance radars, in place, as far back in the early 60s. We matched it by having BSF personnel in pickets, doing eye-ball surveillance, along the LOC. They were given rudimentary training in aircraft recognition, by day. Such was the hardware we had in '62, '65, '71 conflicts

deepak ghanvatkar

Pakistan had low-level surveillance radars, in place, as far back in the early 60s. We matched it by having BSF personnel in pickets, doing eye-ball surveillance, along the LOC. They were given rudimentary training in aircraft recognition, by day. Such was the hardware we had in '62, '65, '71 conflicts
very disheartening it seems that the policy during china war to have advance post for surveillance was continuing!!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles