Army dithers over futuristic tank, DRDO pursues engine

pmaitra

i think the fmbt project should be entirely scrapped and it should be replaced by arjun mk3.this is because the anti-armour penetration capability of our enemy is also improving.if army insists it should be a 50 ton tank with armour protection similar to 65 ton arjun mk2 then entire 8-10 years r&d will go to waste in creating someting we already have only a little lighter.instead in keeping pace with anti- armour prjectile improvement army must aim for a tank with better armour without increasing significant amount of weight.also i beleive going for only aps rather than passive armour is a blunder as aps system can be easily fooled with technologies which are present in rpg-30.
I have similar thoughts.

I would rather the govt. or the Army funded a research to explore the possibility of armour light enough to tackle the best of the best tank rounds of today. Only after completion of the study, should DRDO pronounce whether it is possible or not. Technology may change, but let not DRDO make promises and let not Army make absolute demands.

This research should not span more than 2 years and the Army should not cry if the research teams find this is an unsolvable problem.

p2prada

For Air maneuvers at high altitude at thin air, Quick turn rate increase AOA, Powerful engines are needed..

For tanks, climbing 70degree slope with 70 ton plus, can be done with 1500hp, Same done with 60ton with 1400hp engine on Arjun..

Both are different platforms for very different uses in different dimensions..
Not when the FMBT requirement is as radical as 60Kmph in 2.8 seconds. Ferrari does that.

Nevertheless we know a 1800HP engine will be made. So why fret over details?

p2prada

Arjun Mk3 won't be a new tank. It will never be a 50 ton tank.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
There are other area of focus, needed to be observed By Army and DRDO..

1. How to increase protection without cutting of Armour..
2. New Generation of ERA ( The one on MK2 )..
3. What features in new FCS..
4. 120MM gun is common, But what type of 120mm gun..
5. How newer electronic can give better 360degree battlefield awareness in both day and night..

What are the points or view on these subjects from DRDO & ARMY ?

Now only DRDO and Army can answer these on basis of there Idea and Views..

Btw, Ferrari is cool..

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
As FMBT specs are not out, it is all the more important, that it doesn't turns out to be another us vs them debate. We have learned our lessons with Arjun and the way we are stuck with a evolutionary dead end T 90. We are in over all better position then, when we started the development of Chetak (older name of Arjun). In the name of Arjun, we got a good hydro pnumetic suspension, with Russians ditching us on barrel tech, we learned to make the smooth bore gun too. Now, we can chose to use which one suits our requirements better. We got a very good armor Kanchan, we learned to make a good BMS (some accounts say total home grown version still needs to be tested). The major thing we are lacking is the engine and the transmission, fortunately this thing is getting the due attention now.

DRDO also has came of age, done the right thing in looking for developing new technologies and trying to improve over existing techs.

I really hope, that some hair brained specs don't come, and if they come, the user accepts to improve over batches, if some components need to be imported for initial batches, let it be. Rather then opting for imports of complete system, which creates another problem..

pmaitra

^^

True.

I would also like DRDO to add caveats, such as, but not limited to, "If you want a crew of 4 and a 155 mm gun and a very efficient armour, then don't expect a 50 ton tank." Well, my specs are just an example, but you know what I mean.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I would also like DRDO to add caveats, such as, but not limited to, "If you want a crew of 4 and a 155 mm gun and a very efficient armour, then don't expect a 50 ton tank." Well, my specs are just an example, but you know what I mean.
In my view, they can have a 50ton tank even 40ton without losing protection in battlefield, I am not talking about APS and ERA..

But they should think about it..

Global Defence

New threads

Articles