Army chief Gen VK Singh writes to PM, warns of security risk to India

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
We have no ammo for tank and 97% air defense is obsolete

NEW DELHI: In a fresh blow to the government, Army chief General VK Singh has written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh warning that the country's security is at risk.

According to Times Now, the letter which was written on March 12, 2012 states that army tanks in the country have run out of ammunition. The letter emphasises the need to bridge the shortcomings and bring the army to fighting level.

Sources told Times Now that in his letter VK Singh has called 97% of the air defence obsolete. Singh has also said that the elite special forces are woefully short of weapons.

The Army chief has been in news this week for his claims of being offered a bribery of Rs 14 crore to clear a tranche of sub-standard equipment for the army. Times Now sources have said that the CBI may record his statement in this regard on March 30, 2012.

Defence minister AK Antony has said that Army chief VK Singh had told him that a bribe of 14 crore was offered by an equipment middleman but Singh didn't want to pursue the case. Responding to the furore in Parliament over the issue, Antony named Lieutenant General (retd) Tejinder Singh as the person named by General Singh.

"I have always said the truth. When General VK Singh told me about the incident, I was shocked. The Army chief told me it was Tejinder Singh who offered him the bribe but he said he doesn't want to pursue it," Antony said.

In his defence, Antony said that once news reports on the alleged bribe offer was made public on Monday, he ordered an inquiry, even though there was no formal complaint. "I immediately told the defence secretary to take action without waiting for any formal complaint.

This was the action I took. CBI will inquire into everything," Antony said. The announcement of a CBI probe on Monday had led to an uproar in Parliament, as members felt that the minister should have taken Parliament, which is in session, into confidence before announcing the probe.

http://m.timesofindia.com/PDATOI/articleshow/12438223.cms

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
The weirdly funny and sad part in all the song and dance that this letter has caused in the LS is that almost no politicians seem aghast at the state of affairs in the army , all that these buggers are worried about is how the letter got leaked? who is to blame? fire gen Singh!
I mean really( and this one is addressed to anyone from the MOD or the GOI who could be reading what we post here). One man stands up and says that if there is a war our boys will get massacred and we could lose a chunk of our territory, one man warns us of danger and all you MOFO's can think of is how do we FIRE the whistle blower? If you really want to do anything make sure that those concerns raised are taken care of by the end of the next financial yr, you owe it to the million men standing vigil on our borders dammit!

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
what he said was nothing new, we are screwed big time if war with china or tag team china, pakistan happen. I know our soldiers, they will fight with sticks and stones, but this is not the way to do things.

ashicjose

the GREAT ARMY CHIEF of INDIA ever seen........ V.K.SING
Till his request for extending tenure as chief was not rejected everything was fine.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
The only congress government which had the gratitude towards the country was during the rule of Ms.Indra Gandhi and all other congress governments are well known to under grade or downgrade the defences forces as they think that the defence forces must be kept under check. This so sorrupt lalu yadav has no moral right to say to sack the Army chief and instead he or she should know that if the entire political fraternity is safe and are enjoying their share of being Mp's and MLA's is only due to the security provided by the DAM ARMED FORCES which are being used as dogs to run around them and like a worker to carry all there belongings excetra excetra and don't have any right what so ever to pass a comment on the CHIEF OF ARMY STAFF. lalu yadav has eaten around 1500 crores and who knows even more than the estimate during his rule in Bihar as well as as the railway minister. All the Army personals who protect these politicians must be withdrawn and the political pigs must be left to protect for themselves against the maoists and then tell them to talk about the ARMY and its CHIEF.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
The present government has been seeing the number of R.T.I. activists being killed and is not taking any action about it and sooner or later if the ARMY CHIEF is assassinated the people of INDIA should not be surprised at all. Such is the valor of this government at the center, all the puppets of madam sonia, wafaadaar kute of madam sonia ji......................

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
A fodder thief Laloo has the temerity to suggest that the Chief should be sacked!
Such is the honesty of lalu yadav Sir ji. People of INDIA must give up the daring ARMY CHIEF and must support the corrupt lalu, if not we will suffer because we are after all the tax payers and voters who elect them back to power, what can we do. Aam Admi ko in sab vishay me dal andazi dene ki haq nahi hey aur samay be nahi hey ki in paagal kute ko prashan kare, kyon ki hamare life hi iasa hai ki hamare roz guzarne keliye hume kaam pe chal na hoga varna rat ko kaane keliye kuchnahi milega.

Shame on lalu yadav to make such statement about the CHIEF OF THE ARMY, who is the most and formost daring person who has brought the entire defence scam to daylight.............

Last edited:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
We have no ammo for tank and 97% air defense is obsolete

NEW DELHI: In a fresh blow to the government, Army chief General VK Singh has written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh warning that the country's security is at risk.

According to Times Now, the letter which was written on March 12, 2012 states that army tanks in the country have run out of ammunition. The letter emphasises the need to bridge the shortcomings and bring the army to fighting level.

Sources told Times Now that in his letter VK Singh has called 97% of the air defence obsolete. Singh has also said that the elite special forces are woefully short of weapons.

The Army chief has been in news this week for his claims of being offered a bribery of Rs 14 crore to clear a tranche of sub-standard equipment for the army. Times Now sources have said that the CBI may record his statement in this regard on March 30, 2012.

Defence minister AK Antony has said that Army chief VK Singh had told him that a bribe of 14 crore was offered by an equipment middleman but Singh didn't want to pursue the case. Responding to the furore in Parliament over the issue, Antony named Lieutenant General (retd) Tejinder Singh as the person named by General Singh.

"I have always said the truth. When General VK Singh told me about the incident, I was shocked. The Army chief told me it was Tejinder Singh who offered him the bribe but he said he doesn't want to pursue it," Antony said.

In his defence, Antony said that once news reports on the alleged bribe offer was made public on Monday, he ordered an inquiry, even though there was no formal complaint. "I immediately told the defence secretary to take action without waiting for any formal complaint.

This was the action I took. CBI will inquire into everything," Antony said. The announcement of a CBI probe on Monday had led to an uproar in Parliament, as members felt that the minister should have taken Parliament, which is in session, into confidence before announcing the probe.

The Times of India on Mobile
VK is going to retire soon... had a row with his age and was rebuffed by court...then 14 crore bribe news... now this so sensational "low-ammo/obsolete weapons" news inter-related or stand alone? If stand alone how come billions gets unspent as I have read.

We can do away with less weapons but NOT less ammo.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
billions gets unspent as I have read.
It is taken back by the very said Govt to salvage the Govt's unplanned expenditure overruns and declared unspent.

It was on the TV Debate on one of the channels!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Ahead of Budget, armed forces asked to return Rs 4,000 cr
As in the past, this time too, ahead of the Union Budget 2012-13, the armed forces have been asked to surrender funds amounting to around Rs 4,000 crore.

Normally this is the unspent amount from the capital account, usually from the army.

Ahead of Budget,... | Facebook

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Also

The defence acquisition process remains mired in corruption and bureaucratese. A series of defence procurement scandals since late 1980s have also made the bureaucracy risk averse, thereby delaying the acquisition process. A large part of the money is surrendered by the defence forces every year given their inability to spend due to labyrinthine bureaucratic procedures involved in the procurement process.

Who is mucking up India's defence build-up? - Rediff.com India News

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
It is taken back by the very said Govt to salvage the Govt's unplanned expenditure overruns and declared unspent.

It was on the TV Debate on one of the channels!
These times it's sometime hard to believe in TV news or news in general because almost all the news sources seems to sensationalize the news out of proportions....for example TOI.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Ha, you piss off the General, this is what happens to you- All the Shits you ever did comes to lime light. To Govt of India:D

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
These times it's sometime hard to believe in TV news or news in general because almost all the news sources seems to sensationalize the news out of proportions....for example TOI.
Not news.

TV Debates!

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Ha, you piss off the General, this is what happens to you- All the Shits you ever did comes to lime light. To Govt of India:D
This general is letting the cats and dogs out of the bag.... and the bag seems to be full of it... next week wait for new cat/dog. :lol:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
This general is letting the cats and dogs out of the bag.... and the bag seems to be full of it... next week wait for new cat/dog. :lol:
Thats why they say dont throw stone at others when you are living in a Glass house :bounce:. I find perfect fit for that statement here:eyebrows:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Let the Chinis walk over the border and straight into New Delhi to remove these babus. Can it be any worse? :sad:

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
This whole episode sadly brings back memories of yet another defence chief who was unceremoniouosly booted out for standing up to those who walk the corridors of power in the LS, i speak of Admiral Vishnu Bhagwat who was suddenly asked to relinquish his position in 1998 for standing up to the Mod.I see much the same in Store for Gen Singh though given the wide support enjoyed By Gen Singh in the villages of Punjab and Haryana( where the villagers are more aware than most about the state of corruption in our forces) we could see a political backlash on the lines of the support given by the JAT mahasabha to Gen Singh's birthdate issue.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
The weirdly funny and sad part in all the song and dance that this letter has caused in the LS is that almost no politicians seem aghast at the state of affairs in the army , all that these buggers are worried about is how the letter got leaked? who is to blame? fire gen Singh!
I mean really( and this one is addressed to anyone from the MOD or the GOI who could be reading what we post here). One man stands up and says that if there is a war our boys will get massacred and we could lose a chunk of our territory, one man warns us of danger and all you MOFO's can think of is how do we FIRE the whistle blower? If you really want to do anything make sure that those concerns raised are taken care of by the end of the next financial yr, you owe it to the million men standing vigil on our borders dammit!
Very true !

They are talking about sacking General V.K. Singh :( ; General IMO has done a very honest job, he informed the PM MM Singh about the conditions of Indian army, which was his duty, but somehow the letter leaked, in a country where even the ministry of finance is being spied and not safe, such leakage is really predictable. When General VK Singh was blamed for such leakage i was just shocked :facepalm:, seriously, politicians doesn't loose a chance to play dirty politics, they just want the power and money, an honest politician can not ask for removal of Gen. VK Singh, whoever is demanding so, is a corrupt politician who thinks let the country be invaded.

Speaking truth about government and system is now considered a crime in India, today Azam Khan in an interview said that he is going to lodge an FIR against Arvind Kejriwal for a 2-3 years old matter :doh: such politicians will always oppose Anti-corruption people !
btw whenever i see Lalloo yadav i become mad :mad: !

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles