Indian Military Trucks

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Ashok Leyland Stallion

[h=1]Ashok Leyland Stallion 4x4[/h]
The Stallion forms the logistical backbone of the Indian Armed Forces with over 60,000 Stallions used by the Indian Army.The Stallion has operated at altitudes ranging from sea level to 5500 metres, temperatures ranging from -35 Degrees Celsius to +55 Degrees Celsius. It has been operational on varied terrains from the sands of the Thar Desert to the mountainous regions of Kargil.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Indian Army Stallion 4x4 Mk III

Stallion 4x4 Mk III has been designed for rendering general services to the Army. The vehicle operates on a turbocharged diesel engine with a power of 160 PS @ 2400 RPM.

This Ashok Leyland model has a 6 speed ZF synchromesh gearbox.

Stallion 4x4 Mk III is equipped with an integral power steering and has full air dual line "S" cam brakes.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

High Mobility Vehicle 6x6

High Mobility Vehicle 6x6 is a defence vehicle and has been exclusively designed to render high mobility under stringent conditions as and when required. This Ashok Leyland vehicle has a payload of 5T and comes with an engine power of 260 HP @ 2500 RPM.

High mobility vehicle 6x6 has large tyres and is an all wheel drive vehicle. The model is equipped with an integral power steering and has dual line air brakes. The vehicle has a maximum speed of 80 kmph.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Light Recovery Vehicle 4x4 has been designed to recover and Tow the defence vehicles. This vehicle from Ashok Leyland has been purposely developed for uprighting, unditching and pulling up a slope of all military "B" vehicle casualties having payload of upto 7.5 T.

Light recovery vehicle 4x4 has an engine power of 160 PS @ 2400 RPM. The vehicle is equipped with an integral power steering and dual line air brakes. This vehicle can run at a maximum speed of 90 kmph.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Field Artillery Tractor 6x6 from Ashok Leyland has been designed to be used as gun Tower for 155 mm and 130 mm guns. The ammunitions are self loaded on to the vehicle and it also has a winch for self recovery.

Field Artillery Tractor 6x6 has an engine power of 345 PS @ 2200 RPM and has an 8 speed synchromesh gearbox with torque convertor. The vehicle is equipped with an integral power steering along with dual line air brakes. This vehicle runs at a maximum speed of 87 kmph.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Stallion 4x4 5KL Water Browser has been exclusively developed for supplying water to any location under different circumstances. This vehicle from Ashok Leyland has an engine power of 160 PS @ 2400 RPM with a 6 speed synchromesh gearbox.

Stallion 4x4 5KL water browser is equipped with an integral power steering and dual line air brakes. The vehicle has a maximum speed of 82 kmph and is featured with a water tank capacity of 5000 liters.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Tata LPTA 1621 TC (6 x 6)

Tata LPTA 1621 TC (6 x 6)
The Tata Motors has come up with Tata LPTA 1621 TC (6 x 6). This model has Cummins 6 BT engine with dual circuit full air S-CAM brakes and provision for trailer brakes.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Tata SD 1015 TC (4 x 4)
Tata SD 1015 TC (4 x 4) from Tata Motors is best for the metropolitan cities, to help in transporting goods in a large scale. Tata SD 1015 TC (4 x 4) has Cummins 6 BT engine with air over hydraulic breaks with independent hydraulic circuit for front

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Tata LPTA 713 TC (4 x4)
Tata LPTA 713 TC (4 x 4) has cummins 6 BT engine with hydraulically assisted clutch and a power synchromesh gear box.

lemontree

Professional
The army should not neglect mule GS and mule AT. We would need them if IA wants the new mountain strike corps to be effective.

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
Bribe offer taped, more proof soon, warn Army chief's friends

TNN | Mar 28, 2012, 01.07AM IST

NEW DELHI: Supporters of Army chief General V K Singh are claiming that not only does a tape exist of his meeting with Lt Gen Tejinder Singh (retd), but more evidence would emerge in the coming days.

According to Gen Singh's friends, there is a tape of the conversation between Gen Singh and Lt Gen Tejinder Singh, retired chief of the Defence Intelligence Agency, where the latter offered a bribe of Rs 14 crore for facilitating purchase of 600 substandard Tatra trucks by the Army.

CBI sources said that an anonymous person sent the tape of the purported conversation between the Army chief and retired Lt General Singh, the alleged bribe-giver.

Sources also said that during the course of conversation the pitch of voice purportedly belonging to General Singh suddenly rises, but stressed that the contents have not been verified.

"Whatever he has spoken is 100% true," said Col R S N Singh, a sympathizer of the Army chief.

The tape contains the conversation that ends with Gen Singh shouting at the other person and asking him to leave his office. During the conversation, the other person also told Gen Singh that his predecessors too were on the take.

"You can't actually put down a man who has nothing to hide," Col Singh said of the Army chief. The tape was "only the tip of the iceberg", and more evidence would emerge soon, he said. "General V K Singh doesn't talk in thin air. He has a lot of capacity to strike back at an opportune time," he added.

Col Singh also hinted that there may be further proof, including documents, with the Army chief, to buttress his claim about the bribe offer.

Bribe offer taped, more proof soon, warn Army chief's friends - The Times of India

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
Army chief bribe row and the shady world of arms deals

by FP Editors 58 mins ago

The Army chief , Gen VK Singh's, sensational allegation that he was offered a Rs 14 crore bribe by a retired Army officer-turned-lobbyist (subsequently identified as Lt Gen Tejinder Singh) to approve the purchase of Army trucks has refocussed attention on the shadowy world of defence procurements.

It is an intricate web that involves, by some accounts, some Indian politicians, although there is as yet no confirmation of the role that they played.

Gen VK Singh alleged that Tatra trucks, which have been on Army 'duty' for close to two decades – it saw action during the Kargil war – were "substandard" and overpriced. The Tatra deal has been under a cloud for a long while now, but until Gen VK Singh blew the whistle, no serious effort had been made to get to the bottom of it.

The first agreement for procuring Tatra trucks was signed in 1986 with Omnipol Foreign Trade Corporation of the Czechoslovakia. But about the time that the Soviet empire was collapsing in the early 1990s, and the satellite states (including Czechoslovakia) were spinning out of orbit, Ravi Rishi, an astute NRI businessman, moved in to pick up Tatra on the cheap, through his London-based consortium Vectra.

Tatra's fortunes in India soared since then; in 1992, the Indian public sector undertaking BEML starts buying the trucks from Tatra Sipox UK.

Tatra Sipox UK was, according to documents with CNN-IBN, a London-based trading company and not the original manufacturer. Procuring from Tatra Spiox broke one of the cardinal rules of defence procurement – that all procurement should be sourced directly from the manufacturer, not a third party.

Curiously, Tatra Sipox's balance sheets of those years show it had a working capital of just 30,000 pounds. And the firm was registered as providing "spiritual, religious and social services."

Listed among the shareholders of Tata Sipox UK was Joseph Majeski, a Slovakian national who at one time faced a jail term for misappropriation of funds.

In 2003, more than a decade after the first deal, BEML and Tatra Sipox (UK) sought to increase the scope of the relationship. But at that point, they faced the first hurdle, when the Equipment Branch of the Army raised objections to the deal.

CNN-IBN has in its possession a copy of a letter in which probing questions were asked of the deal, in particular: Who was the original manufacturer of the truck? What was the source of procurement? What was the price at which it was being procured? And what was the role of Tatra Sipox UK?
But within two months, the letter was treated as cancelled, for reasons that are not clear.

Subsequently, the holding pattern of the companies changed, after which BEML signed a joint venture with Vectra, of which Ravi Rishi was the major shareholder.

Under the terms of the 2003 agreement, the Chief of Army Staff has to sign on the procurement deal for the trucks every year. The last time the deal was signed was in February 2010, by Genenral (Retired) Deepak Kapoor.

But within weeks of taking over as Army chief, Gen VK Singh applied the brakes on a pre-approved order for the supply of 788 Tatra trucks on the grounds that they had not performed optimally and were horribly overpriced. He was inclined to consider a rival manufacturer, the Kolkata-based Ural India Ltd, which offered to sell the all-terrain vehicles for Rs 40 lakh each (against the Rs 1 crore price tag that the Tatra trucks came with). Ural India is a joint venture between URALAZ, the Soviet heavy-duty automobile company established at the height of the Second World War, and Motijug Agencies owned by JK Saraf.

It may have been the prospect of being shut out of the lucrative Indian market that prompted the desperate offer of a bribe to Gen VK Singh.

Once earlier, the Vectra Group, which pimped for the Eurocopter in India, had had the mortifying experience of being similarly shut out. In 2007, Defence Minister 2007 pointedly cancelled a contract for the purchase of 197 aircraft for the Army after revelations that a senior Army officer had links to a Vectra group company.

Vectra Group is believed to be keen to sell all-terrain vehicles and helicopters to the Home Ministry, which is low on such equipment for the operations against Maoists in central India.

Writing in The Sunday Guardian, Madhav Nalapat claims, citing unidentified sources, that Lt Gen Tejinder Singh, who stands accused of fronting for Tatra and offering Gen VK Singh a bribe, is connected to at least one upcoming politician. Tejinder Singh, he writes, "operates in tandem" with a retired major and his son, "both of whom are well-known" to Home Minister P Chidambaram's son Karthi Chidambaram.

Subramanian Swamy too has pointed to connections between the "triumvirate" of Tejinder Singh, the retired Major, and Karthi Chidambaram.

None of this has been established beyond reasonable doubt, but it's fair to say that Gen VK Singh's sensational claim has literally thrown

http://www.firstpost.com/india/army-chief-bribe-row-and-the-shady-world-of-arms-deals-257626.html

:rolleyes: Chidambaram again...... GOD... This is massive Corruption!!

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
Former RAW officer claims tape of Army Chief bribery scandal exists

by FP Staff Mar 27, 2012

A former army official has claimed a conversation has been taped between Army Chief VK Singh and an unidentified person, in which the head of the armed forces is asked to take a bribe but refuses to do so.

"I'm told that in this tape, there is that conversation which the General talks about. The gentleman concerned, is heard offering a bribe and telling the Chief that chiefs before you have taken bribes and chiefs after you will take bribes. So why don't you fall in the line," Colonel (retired) RSN Singh told CNN-IBN.

While not disclosing where the tape was recorded and who had recorded it, Singh said the Army Chief can be heard in the tape telling the individual to leave his office.

"And then I'm told that General VK Singh can be heard shouting on this fellow that you get out of my office before I do something else to you," Singh said.

RSN Singh had served in the Military Intelligence following which he also served with the Research and Analysis Wing, India's external intelligence agency.

CNN-IBN reported that the tape was in the custody of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), which is investigating the allegations of bribery.

General VK Singh had said he was offered a bribe by a former army official and said he had informed the Defence Minister about the incident.

Defence Minister AK Antony, who ordered a CBI probe into the incident, told Parliament today, that though he had asked the Army Chief to file a complaint, he had said that he preferred not to pursue the matter further.

Lt General (retired) Tejinder Singh, who has been accused by the army of offering bribes in a press release, and was named by the Defence Minister in the Rajya Sabha of offering a bribe, has denied the allegations and filed a case of defamation against officials for tarnishing his reputation.

Former RAW officer claims tape of Army Chief bribery scandal exists | Firstpost

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
I am not army chief's chum: Lt Gen Singh

Last updated on: March 28, 2012 00:49 IST

Rediff.com's Sheela Bhatt caught up with Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh (retd), who has been accused of allegedly offering army chief General V K Singh a bribe of Rs 14 crore in September 2010 for an arms deal.

"This is all kite flying," says Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh (retd) when Rediff.com asks him about a newspaper report linking him with a Union minister's son with regard to influencing weapons procurement deals for the Indian military.

General Tejinder Singh has been accused of allegedly offering a bribe of Rs 14 crore (Rs 140 million) to the Chief of the Army Staff, General V K Singh in September 2010 for an arms deal.

While denying the charges, General Tejinder Singh has filed a defamation case against the army chief.

General V K Singh did not name General Tejinder Singh in his controversial interviews this week. But on Tuesday Defence Minister A K Antony mentioned General Tejinder Singh's name, saying that the army chief had informed him then that General Tejinder Singh had offered him a bribe.

This makes the matter very serious, one which cannot be pushed under the carpet any more.

According to a column published in the Sunday Guardian newspaper, Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh is 'not an unknown figure within the world of suppliers of equipment.'

Quoting an unnamed source, the columnist alleged that Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh 'operates in tandem' with a retired Major Hooda and his son, both of whom are well known to a Union minister's son.

"I am not a bum chum of army chief V K Singh. We are not even friends. I am just his professional colleague. Why would I offer him money when I am quite junior to him?" Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh asked.

"I have nothing to hide," he says. "I am ready for the CBI inquiry. I have no idea why General V K Singh is talking like this, but you should check if he is trying to divert attention. Why does he want to create a controversy at this point of time?"

Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh is obviously very upset and disturbed by the turn of events.

His problem is compounded by the fact that the army chief's allegation is too serious and intriguing to ignore.

He has been accused of offering a bribe of Rs 14 crore to the army chief to ensure procurement of sub-standard trucks.

This, in other words, means that Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh was doing something against the interests of the Indian Army, its soldiers and the country he once swore to defend to his last breath.

The charge is more than just one of corruption; it is one of being unpatriotic.

Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh staunchly denies any links with arms dealers in the country.

He told Rediff.com, "I have no link with any arms company. I have never worked for any of them. It can easily be established that I have never worked for any company."

Before his retirement from the Indian Army two years ago, Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh headed the Defence Intelligence Agency.

"The Tatra is working under a government-owned company. Why would I offer a bribe for it? I am neither a friend of the army chief nor his bum chum. Yes, it is true that I did not support his claim of his date of birth. In that controversy, I opposed him because I followed the Supreme Court, which gave a verdict on his birth date contrary to his claims."

Asked about the motive behind the army chief's allegations, Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh says, "I don't know. You should ask him. I can give you a hypothesis. Is he trying to divert attention from the snooping done in the Raksha Mantri's office? You should find out."

"You should also find out why he was quiet since September 2010," Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh adds. "Why did he not say anything on the issue when he was doing the drama about his birth date? I can't say anything. You should find out. Since his claim on his age was not accepted, he was upset."

It is obvious that Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh and army chief General V K Singh are targeting each other.

An army press release issued a few days ago named Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh for planting news reports on the alleged bugging of Defence Minister A K Antony's office.

Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh accepts meeting the army chief in September 2010 to get himself re-employed.

"I met him for a posting in the intelligence outfit," reveals Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh. "The army was looking for an officer of the rank of lieutenant general."

Asked about the impact of the ugly controversy on the Indian Army's morale, Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh acknowledges, "We have never seen things like this."

EXCLUSIVE! I am not army chief's chum: Lt Gen Singh - Rediff.com News

lemontree

Professional
However, as expected, India's hyperventilating broadcast news media seems to have missed the woods for the trees. For instance, the entire focus has been on this retired Lt Gen, despite the obvious fact that it is simply beyond the means of this retired Lt Gen to offer the Rs13 crore (US$2.5 million) bribe out of his own pockets. Obviously therefore, this retired Lt Gen was allegedly acting as a messenger on behalf of his principal, which can only be either the UK-based VECTRA Group, or an offshore front company affiliated to the VECTRA Group. This then leads us to ask the following questions, which I had first raised some two weeks ago:

1) How does one explain the UK-based VECTRA Group's dealings in India with TATRA AS of the Czech Republic, when it is BEML that is the sole distributor of TATRA vehicles in India? (See: Vectra Group - Contact Us)

2) Does it mean that BEML and the VECTRA Group have a financial understanding under which VECTRA collects royalty payments from BEML for every unit of TATRA vehicles sold in India, and then shares such payments with certain Indian citizens or NRIs possessing offshore savings accounts?

3) How come the VECTRA Group's helicopter charter service is the ONLY one that has been granted permission to operate out of Greater NOIDA?

4) Isn't it true that this helicopter charter service is also the unofficial agent/promoter in India of the Eurocopter AS.550C3 LOH/LUH?

4) Is there any connection between an Indian by the name of Ravinder Rishi (see: VECTRA - A Quaterly Magazine) and the MoD-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL)?

5) Is it true that the VECTRA Group had hired two retired senior service officers about four years ago for actively lobbying for the AS.550C3s?

TRISHUL: TATRA Versus TATA
Gents,

The VECTRA company is the same company that is the parent of Global Vectra Helicorp Ltd. This company along with another company was given the tender to lease Mi-17 chopper for para-military operations and the ALH was pulled out stating faults with the chopper.

This means that Mr.P the Chiddu baba, is also involved in the take from this same company. That is why St Anthony did not take any action against Tejinder Singh. Wow this is getting better by the day....
...I need a drink now.:sad:

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
It is turning into a soap opera by the day. This scandal has been in the making since 1986. I watched NDTV on You Tube and they had raised this issue in 2005 and nothing was done which tells lot about the present or the past GOI in power did not put checks and balances and monitoring system is weak as well. Who needs enemy when we have traitors in the Government Of India itself.

It is time to reel in the the Vectra Group executive and force them to face the music in India under Indian judicial system. Even the name of Mr. P. Chiddambram is showing up on radar screen. Is it just a coincidence that his flag pops up in murky waters of GOI?

I also agree with Kunal Biswas's assertion that the director of the episode is based in U.K. I am hope full the new monitoring system will be instituted in the MOD and each and every whether local or based overseas conspirator will be brought before the court to face the music. All these skeletons from the 1986 era are coming out one after the other, Anna Hazare is also gaining momentum who is refusing to give into Pawar and yadav's demand for apology. Somehow, I not only feel but convinced that whistle blower like (Mr Bakshi for Tatra scandal) have a blessing of our PM only to expose these rotten SOB's. He knows well that he will not be the next PM but he is also helping to put an end to Nehru-Gandhi dynasty. It looks like all the gloves are off in this fight just like we experience during our ice hockey games some times that the players of both sides take off their helmets and gloves to go at each other.

At the end of the day, I would like to see the voters do wake up and clean up the LokSabha and Rajya Sabha as well of these scumbags. Again I urge the citizenry of India to band together and stand behind our sons and daughters of Armed Forces who are being demoralised by these scandals and thank them for their service to the nation. Do not forget to consider my request for a new political national party based on representation from every section of the society and region of India. Membership should be based on the Character of individual and must sign a pledge not to defect for his or her entire life. I take a pledge to start.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles