Armed Forces facing big Man power shortage

Victor Sierra

Country flag
Armed Forces facing big shortage: 13,000 officers, 53,700 personnel

Stringent selection, difficult service conditions, other lucrative careers may be reasons: Antony

The armed forces are facing a shortage of over 13,000 officers and 53,700 personnel below the rank of officers, Defence Minister A.K. Antony said on Monday.

The Army accounts for much of the shortage, he said in a written reply in the Lok Sabha.

"Some of the major reasons for vacancies in the armed forces are accretion in force level from time to time, availability of multiple and lucrative alternative career avenues with the growth of the nation's economy, stringent selection criteria and difficult service conditions coupled with a perceived high degree of risk."

THE BREAK-UP

Giving details of vacancies, he said while the Army was short of 10,100 officers till July this year, the shortage of Personnel Below Officers Rank stood at 32,431 till September.

The Navy was facing a shortage of 1,996 officers, and 14,310 sailors till September-end.

In the Air Force, the shortage of officers was put at 962, while the requirement of airmen till December was around 7,000, the Minister said.

On steps taken to encourage youth to join the armed forces, Mr. Antony said: "These include implementation of the recommendations of the Sixth Central Pay Commission with improved pay structure, additional family accommodation through the Married Accommodation Project and improvement in promotion prospects."

On the number of cadets passing out of various academies, he said the total was 9,001 since 2010.

PREMATURE RETIREMENT

At the same time, 10,822 service personnel took premature retirement this year alone, the Army accounting for 10,081, the Navy 170 and the Air Force 571. Last year, the figures were 10,603, 157 and 1,000.

The Hindu : News / National : Armed forces facing big shortage: 13,000 officers, 53,700 personnel

Indian Military facing a shortage of 13,000 officers with Army accounting for bulk of vacancies: AK Antony - Economic Times

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Re: Armed Forces facing big shortage: 13,000 officers, 53,700 personne

Historically in the US, selection standards have been lowered to meet the needs of the services.

Victor Sierra

Country flag
I don't think selection standard are tough. Its just that Youth doesn't want to get into Defense.
I have talked to many young people, asking them Why they don't join Defense.
Those who are from renowned institutions says, its money issue, some says family issue & some says life insecurity.
There are many students also who wants to get into Army but they lack in Officer's like Communication Skill.
Yes, there are some standards in Defense which can be lowered & won't effect the Defense.
Like in UES exam of Indian Army, they only choose students of 3rd Year & 4th Year with no back-logs. Ever visit place where such exam takes place. You will find many students of 3rd Year who are with 1-2 backlogs but they can't appear in exam. A 3rd Year student can easily clear his exams before his degree.

Many times students are unaware of such selection. Defense can patch up with UGC or other bodies, so that a circular can be sent to every College regarding these exams.

On my part, I feel that instead of lowering the selection standards. Defense should open institutions or encourage opening of such institutions, so that they can build the students standard. Only the students who wants to join Defense should be allowed. Though there are institutions who gives training on various Defense Recruitment Exams but there is lack knowledge among people about them, also money problem is a common issue among Indian Families. A government approach in this regard will be of great benefit.

Defense pays well enough to spend life comfortably. Raising pay-scale or lowering the selection standard won't be helpful.

Last edited:

Neuro

Tihar Jail
Banned
In my childhood I able to remember that after Kargil war tremendous amount of youths joined in army with passion. Army needs some sort of motivation 13 million troops simply sitting idle means who wants to join there. And India adopted non-alignment stance all those factors created this mess.

Last edited:

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Who would want to join army when the image of army has been being smeared by no-good politicians? In my childhood joining army was a matter of pride. I myself tried, but didn't pass the NDA exam. That was 12 yrs back. Now I simply wont try even, given the chance. Army used to be synonymous with honor, but one after another scandal, where corrupt officers, not only babus, are found. Further, the spineless posture of our political leadership vis-a-vis our neighbors are further demoralizing the smarter section of youth. Why would they join army and toil through all just to see that the nation they are sworn to protect are being gradually sold out by their political masters?!!! The officer cadre of Indian army, i believe, are the cream of our society in r/o education and intelligence. Well, they do see the hopeless situation and choose more comfortable life and more in form of material success.

As for soldiers. I believe the growth of our economy has opened more source of income and relatively safer employment for the youth. The industries are taking a good corp of the youth, who previously joined armed forces.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The selection criteria are the same except that the recruitment is no longer from the higher bracket as earlier wherein at this bracket the selection numbers were subscribed.

Now, the people selected are from the lower bracket since there are none achieving standards that classified the higher bracket.

The 'highest' achiever now, may not have achieved the standard of the 'lowest' achiever then!

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Who would want to join army when the image of army has been being smeared by no-good politicians? In my childhood joining army was a matter of pride. I myself tried, but didn't pass the NDA exam. That was 12 yrs back. Now I simply wont try even, given the chance. Army used to be synonymous with honor, but one after another scandal, where corrupt officers, not only babus, are found. Further, the spineless posture of our political leadership vis-a-vis our neighbors are further demoralizing the smarter section of youth. Why would they join army and toil through all just to see that the nation they are sworn to protect are being gradually sold out by their political masters?!!! The officer cadre of Indian army, i believe, are the cream of our society in r/o education and intelligence. Well, they do see the hopeless situation and choose more comfortable life and more in form of material success.

As for soldiers. I believe the growth of our economy has opened more source of income and relatively safer employment for the youth. The industries are taking a good corp of the youth, who previously joined armed forces.
If a survey of attitudes among the Indian people has been done, I would like to see it. In the US, surveys show that people trust Congress the least, and rate the military very high.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
If they increase the age limit to 30 years, many people may apply...

Why are they limiting the age to 27?

Is there any strong reason behind that?

If physical fitness and body flexibility is the reason, i think body can cope up with the training given at IMA even at the age of 30.....

Global Defence

New threads

Articles