Are you really Proud to be Indian!!!

Are u really Proud to be Indian!!!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Param

The people in the NE feel alienated and it does not relate to nationality.

Alienation leads to anger.

Check the money and thrust to development given to the NE and compare their destitution to other parts of the country.

One should read Lt Gen's JR Mukherjee;s book on the NE. He should know more since he has married a Mizo lady and visits the NE regularly and was also a Corps Cdr in the NE and COS in Eastern Command.

How many hinterland Indians visit the NE?

It is not that hinterland Indians do not want to visit the NE. It is just that the infrastructure to reach there is so poor and lackadaisical that one's gusto and zing to do so takes a beating. Likewise, in Delhi, for instance, the people of the NE are looked as aliens from outer space. If you don't want to integrate, then obviously, they feel spurned!

Yet the same NE people feel quite at home in Kolkata. They are not taken to be from outer space!
In the future maybe we should carve out a wider corridor out of northern Bangladesh when there is a hostile regime in power. Who is going to threaten us for doing that 20 years from now?

That would provide better access to the NE.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
I'm not proud of GoI. I pay my taxes in full, without running after methods to avail tax-exemptions (like people buy frivolous insurance policies), yet it cannot give me worth my tax. It builds public infrastructure under BOT, so I have to pay tolls every freaking 50 km to use what was once considered public property in the truest sense. My money is being spent on bullshit such as Commonwealth Games and Chandrayaan (things a developing economy like India can ill-afford), when it could be better spent in upliftment of poor. I pay $50 /month for 6 Mbps unlimited internet, while my counterparts in the UK get 60 Mbps unlimited for the same price ($50 /m). I get 89 Octane Petrol for 52 Rupees per litre, while my counterpart in China gets 94 Octane Petrol for 35 Rupees per litre. It has ensured food security for rodents and insects while millions starve. The political leaders controlling my nation's Armed Forces (one of the world's largest) are a bunch of pussies who haven't been able to dispense political will required to recover land that belongs to me from Pakistan, or defend every square inch of my territory from Chinese illegal occupation.

So no. I'm far from proud of GoI.

plugwater

Felt like its kinda stupid question to ask in a defense forum. No offense to the thread starter we are always and will proud of India(As country Not GoI)

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Indian people makes india so be proud of them.Indian people elect legislature so be proud of their choice.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Indian people makes india so be proud of them.Indian people elect legislature so be proud of their choice.
A majority of Indians don't vote (number of registered voters is less than half of the country's population eligible for voting).

Besides, even if you blame their choice, what's their choice anyway?

Choice = choose between yellow crap and brown crap on the basis of which smells more pleasant. That's the choice between the voter today, and he's made to choose on whatever trivial issue is left (such as what is a person's stand on Babri, 0.05% more reservation for X community, etc.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
It is quite natural to have an affinity and elevated interest about the country that one grew up in and lived in for many years of his life. But if someone asks if one is 'proud' to be Indian, the question would be really stupid. No one chooses his/her country of birth and hence 'pride' or 'patriotism' is not really a choice.....by default, everyone is taught to be proud/patriotic of their country. The question we need to ask ourselves is, if we were given a choice to be born into a family and a country other than India.....maybe the US, maybe China, maybe even Somalia, how many of us would choose India over the other countries? If we answered honestly, that would be the real test of our pride/patriotism.
I will choose India every time.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I am not proud of the Indian Government at all, but I am proud of Indian people, Indian history, and Indian accomplishments.

To answer Known_Unknown's question, I too would choose India every time, because India is a phenomenon, and I want to be part of that phenomenon _=..i2-=

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
One may be born in a country, but need not be proud owing to various reasons. Why?

While checking out this interesting issue, I found some interesting facts.

German Nationalism quickly became an obsession for Hitler, and a way to rebel against his father, who proudly served the Austrian government. Most people who lived along the German-Austrian border considered themselves German-Austrians, but Hitler expressed loyalty only to Germany. Hitler, as we know, was an Austrian.

The Southerner of the US rebelled against the Union Govt. Eleven Southern slave states declared their secession from the United States and formed the Confederate States of America.

"The Man Without a Country" is a short story by American writer Edward Everett Hale, first published anonymously in The Atlantic in December 1863. The novel is the story of American army lieutenant Philip Nolan, who renounces his country during a trial for treason and is consequently sentenced to spend the rest of his days at sea without so much as a word of news about the United States. I have read this story and it is an interesting commentary on pride for one's country.

Aaron Burr, Jr. (February 6, 1756 – September 14, 1836) served as the third Vice President of the United States. Yet, due to various rumours regarding Burr's plan to secede from the United States and form his own monarchy in the western half of North America (known as the Burr conspiracy), Burr was arrested in 1807 and brought to trial on charges of treason. He was acquitted.

All these examples are from periods before the formation of modern nation states. Hitler's example is not very unusual because Germany and Austria are very similar countries, who have shared the same language, culture and history for hundreds of years. Several parts of Austria were part of the Germanic Prussian kingdom of which Germany was also a part.

Pride/patriotism in the modern day is purely a function of birth. Probably 99% of the citizens of a country consider themselves patriotic and think their country is the best in the world, even though they do not have any reference points for comparison. As I said, it is natural to have an affinity towards the country one grew up in, because one is part of the society and shares its culture, successes and failings. However, one needs to understand that if one were born an American instead of an Indian, he/she would be just as, if not more proud of their country. Pride is not something we choose, but rather, it is something that is inculcated in us from an early stage of development. To live and work in a society, one must be ready to display his pride in his country...and this is especially true in developing countries, where post-modernist thought has yet to take root. If one were to rebel against the symbols of his country's nationalism, one is immediately branded a traitor or worse, and either ignored or actively persecuted.

I will choose India every time.
I am not proud of the Indian Government at all, but I am proud of Indian people, Indian history, and Indian accomplishments.

To answer Known_Unknown's question, I too would choose India every time, because India is a phenomenon, and I want to be part of that phenomenon _=..i2-=
To look at the problem from an objective point of view, one has to experience living in different countries, assimilating in their societies, and taking as active an interest in their history and civilization as one does his own. You might eat Tata salt everyday and think that it is the best salt in the world, but unless you have different brands to compare it with, you can never truly evaluate how good it is. This is true for everything. If you had been born a white American or a black South African, you would be just as proud of your country as you are now about India.

There's nothing particularly special about India, other than the fact that you were born here.

Last edited:

neo29

Once you are born in a country, no matter its flaws you are bound to naturally love it. If you are not happy with the condition then do your part to improve it. No reason why anyone born here must love India and be proud of it in spite of its flaws.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
The people in the NE feel alienated and it does not relate to nationality.

Alienation leads to anger.
not that all people have a anti-nationalistic feeling take me for example:happy_2:
I never met a healthy minded person in Assam who is not proud to be an Indian or don't have an nationalistic feeling in their hearts.
regarding the feeling of being alienated, yes some people do feel alienated when being segregated by people due to their mongoloid demographic, especially some of the hilly states around, having the same demographics myself I can understand, but It have nothing to do with politics.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to the tropic at the end of the day for me, its India, my motherland, I am proud of my motherland, a proud Indian and proud to be Indian.

N.B. by the term segregated I mean to express the term racism that's being practiced upon

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod

There's nothing particularly special about India, other than the fact that you were born here.
Kuchh Baat hai ki hasti mit ti nahin hamari, sadiyon raha hai dushman daure zama hamara....... Jai Hind

There is something special in us that our individuality (as a one nation) doesn't vanish; even when the world has been hostile to us from centuries.

Nothing Like Our Hindustan In The World Entire
She Is Our Garden, We Her Warbling Choir

We May Wander Far From Home_Home Resides In Our Thoughts
We Too Live At That Place Where Lies Our Heart

The Highest Mountain Of The World_A Neighbour Of The Skies
That Tough And Tall Watchman Guards Us Day And Night

A Thousand Rivulets Criss-Cross Through Her Plains And Wilds
Because Of Which Our Garden Vies With Paradise

O Ganges, Flowing Past Thy Banks_Remember Thou That Time
When We Landed On Thy Shore_In This Sacred Clime

Religion Does Not Teach Us To Harbour Mutual Spite
We Are Indians, One And All_Hindustan Our Land Of Pride

Greece, Egypt And Rom_Have Vanished Out Of Sight
But Our Name Lives On In Spite Of Time And Tide

Something Must Be There To Keep Our Name Alive
Though The World For Centuries Has Been To Us Hostile

We Do Not Have A Confidant In The World, "Iqbal"
None Knows What Sorrows Lurk Within Our Heart**

Last edited by a moderator:

jayz india

i am indian living in canada,whwenever anyone says bad about india(perticularly westerners and whites...i tell dem the where india was before 50 years and where it is now,because most people who do not knw india have a misconception that it is a snake charmers nation or a country infested with malaria and other dangerous diseases,other think it as a third world...

i really feel proud when i shatter there assumptions by telling them where we r nw and if the trend continues where we will be,they r actually amazed at the growth of our country and the speed with which we r growing, i havent done much for my country till nw but i try to create a positive image in the people's hearts and minds so that they come to the terms of reality

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Wah!

Its so easy to over look and ridicule all the good that has happened in this country but then do I expect anything better than a hardened leftist there, atleast I certainly don't expect anything better than that from a hardcore ideologue.

He keeps questioning all the time in the video as to what has the country done for you though that question is not really posed directly but then the attempt is neither in a subtle manner with an attempt to arouse passions and also attempts to give answers which for some reason happen to be all in negative and it is precisely on this propaganda of his that he attempts to raise the question of "are you proud of being an Indian?", how very smart may I add. And then the appeal of don't think what the country has done for you but question what you have done for the country, but then that is exactly how propagandas work, this is exactly how NGOs become an instant hit where the ulterior motive is no social justice as propagated but the money behind. Here the dude wanted to push the ideology and more importantly his blog and from the vote I see he has not been able to make a significant cut here on this forum but do I expect a similar result when he goes to exploit the rural folk, you bet that is what his target ultimate audience is and that is where he will be sooner than later or possibly that is where he comes from and I don't have a slightest of the doubts most of those rural folk would want to join the dude, now do we get a sense of how the maoist ideology is so successfully marketed?

As for me, I am absolutely proud of being an Indian, good or bad whatever the case may be, it is just my family's reflection but this time the only difference, the size of my family is 1.2billion people and I on my part rather than complaining and arousing passions work to better it and all that without any show off!

johnee

It is quite natural to have an affinity and elevated interest about the country that one grew up in and lived in for many years of his life. But if someone asks if one is 'proud' to be Indian, the question would be really stupid. No one chooses his/her country of birth and hence 'pride' or 'patriotism' is not really a choice.....by default, everyone is taught to be proud/patriotic of their country. The question we need to ask ourselves is, if we were given a choice to be born into a family and a country other than India.....maybe the US, maybe China, maybe even Somalia, how many of us would choose India over the other countries? If we answered honestly, that would be the real test of our pride/patriotism.
Rightly said. But I would say that it is unnecessary to ask oneself as to what country one would choose to be born if one were given a choice. It is a futile intellectual exercise. The simple point is that everyone must love one's motherland just as one loves one's mother. The pride aspect is different and keeps changing.

Right now, India is doing quite well. Its future seems bright. So, while there are lot of unsavoury issues, there is also a lot to be proud of. But this is just another phase. Any country goes through different phases. And an ancient land like India has gone through great highs and lows.

India was once the golden peacock of the world. The rest of world looked in awe at the wealth and grandeur of India. And then India has also seen the times when the mighty India was subjugated by every other invader. India witnessed the loot and plunder of its resources and exploitation of its people. And now, the independent India is trying to get back to its rightful place in the world order.

If some Indians are not proud of India today, then they must think what did Mahatma Gandhi or Subhash Chandra Bose have to be proud of India in their times? At that time, India was poor, weak and enslaved with almost no hope of ever being free. Even then, they loved their country and fought on.

That is the point: If one is not proud of India, then let them strive to make a difference.

Defenceindia2010

Country flag
Without any doubt i'm a proud Indian :india: :salute: but this though has to be defended and protected as it is under attack 27/7, 360 degrees from internal and external forces. :dharma:

Last edited:

Kyubi

Country flag
Yes i am really proud to be an indian., and i can say that with utmost sincerity and conviction

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

My Home is my Heaven and the Heaven Located in India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles