Are You Authorized to Defend Yourself?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Rage, Mar 8, 2010.

?

Do you think Civilians should own Guns?

1. 1. Yes, its a un-encroachable natural right. Pick one right away. No holds barred.

22.5%
  2. 2. Yes, but apply for a license, go through background checks to qualify for a (semi-automatic) gun.

52.3%
  3. 3. No need, we have cops and army to do the job.

10.8%
  4. 4. Not at all, too many potential desperados who'll become terminators in no time.

14.4%
  1. Spindrift

Spindrift Regular Member

the spray's name was cobra magnum em, it was an aerosol...

2. Razor

Razor Pest Control Moderator

Pyschiatric tests and oaths (??) shouldn't be the criteria. Those tests can be faked and oaths, well we all lie :)

Net worth should be the criteria. :)

3. Krusty

Krusty Senior Member Senior Member

Sir, I am a self defence enthusiast, I have owned many boot knives, hunting knives, axes, bows, batons and sprays.. I have used many types of pepper sprays including the cobra magnum pro. Trust me, Indians just buy the weak 'deo can' spray without even knowing its strength and output and end up spraying themselves at certain conditions. Cobra magnum is an effective spray but intended for use only at arms length. It is not designed to reach out to grey lengths or to have a high output stream volume. It's like asking a handgun to perform in a sniping role. Go for gels. There are gel models which can guarantee no back spray and reach out to 20+ feet. Also I think you are pretty outdated in your knowledge of sprays. There are pepper spray guns that use pepper pellets (can be loaded and used like a regular handgun) and can reach out to 100-150 feet no problem at all. Check out these models...

http://bestpeppersprayonline.com/pepper-spray-gun/

There are hundreds of models out there with varying pepper strength, range and output type (pellet/stream/spray)

Yes, but the narrative should be to curb illegal guns. If you look at it, illegal gun production is a menace only in a few states. Arming 1.4b people who form hundreds of communities with complex relationship/hatred for each other isn't a solution. US population is peanuts and they are nowhere as diverse a Indias population.

Yes. And other forms of no lethal weapons are not even popular to begin with. I think they should be given a chance first. I can cite hundreds of instances where children accidentally killed parents or themselves or others for every instance where a girl escaped molestation thanks to a gun.

You still didn't address the scenario where the girls kidnappers were armed and shot her right away as soon as they knew she was armed? Just a thought.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  4. Spindrift

Spindrift Regular Member

You are right i am not really into sprays, i am mostly into firearms and knives.

You mean to say the entire population of the republic is made of criminals and when they get a gun they'll start ignoring the laws and start violating the Constitution?

That is why i am advocating proper training in handling firearms be given, before a license is given out.

In this particular instance the girl was not kidnapped, it was her brother-in-law. And they were threatening to kill him.
    As far as your scenario goes, there are a lot variations to it .. like at what stage and how the attackers come to know she that she is armed.
    In this case they came to know when she pulled the gun at them and was about half way into going Rambo on their ares.. even if the attacker were armed with guns they did not get the chance to pull them out.

5. Krusty

Krusty Senior Member Senior Member

I'm not really sure you are getting my point. In a country of just 300 million and a population which is largely and violently patriotic (not to mention not as diverse) towards its country where there are strict paper work and Training and familiarity with firearms, there were 320+ Cases of mass shootings killing hundreds of people and 500+ cases of death by negligent or accidental discharge in 2013 alone. I say again, in a country with strict rules, better training and familiarity with firearms (atleast I'd wager a whole lot better than india) and with just 300million population with a police force that's equipped like a small army. If you do not see the problem india might face if it opens up the arms market to a population of 1.4billion comprising hundreds of religion, caste, communities and a significant chunk of population with questionable loyalty towards the country with a sizable police force still using lathis and a .22 is a luxury ... sorry, but I Guess we have to agree to disagree.