Are Indians asian or Middle-Eastern ? Or both ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackwater

Hi we was not those nations.

But why are all of you so ashamed to identify yourself? I've asked three Indians now that haven't given me a proper response.
r u ok, its the pakisssss who are ashamed of there hindu ancestory, not indians

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
Hi we was not those nations.

But why are all of you so ashamed to identify yourself? I've asked three Indians now that haven't given me a proper response.
Ashamed us ??

Like I said earlier . . .Indians Identifying as Indians is a concept simply incomprehensible to a Pakistani

Zarvin

Ok sir

What are you? Where in India do you come from? Your ethnicity etc

Zarvin

This is not my thread to discuss myself. This is about Indians, the stage is all yours-----tell us about yourself.

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
Ok sir

What are you? Where in India do you come from? Your ethnicity etc
Are You Daft ??

Does the Word Indian not enter your Brain ??

Indian is my Nationality, Ethnicity and whatever else you can attribute it to.

Tronic

This is not my thread to discuss myself. This is about Indians, the stage is all yours-----tell us about yourself.
Dude, what's the point? Obviously not many people care about ethnicity here. There's already a poll somewhere on this forum on people's ethnicity here, you can check that up if you really want to know so badly. This is a pan-Indian board, no one cares about ethnicity.

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
Dude, what's the point? Obviously not many people care about ethnicity here. There's already a poll somewhere on this forum on people's ethnicity here, you can check that up if you really want to know so badly. This is a pan-Indian board, no one cares about ethnicity.
Wht do u mean . . .People dont care about ethnicity here . . .

How is Indian not a Ethnic Identity ?

If People from Turkey are Turks
People from Arabia are Arabs
People from Caucasus are Caucasian

How come People From Indian Subcontinent not Indian ??

Indian is a completely Valid Ethnic Denotation

Zarvin

Well the Indians I interacted with on other forums were quite proud to say they were Keralites, Punjabi etc. Maybe it's just this forum. Anyway I'm off.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Hi - when I was studying in the uk it was common practice to refer to Indians and Pakistanis as asian . But in the usa ive often heard the term being applied mainly to Chinese , Japanese , and Korean rather than Pakistani or Indian.

Question is therefore would we more correctly refer to ourselves, and see ourselves more as middle-eastern rather than asian ?
This is how the United States government sorts it out.

Race and Ethnicity Categories

http://www.naphsis.org/NAPHSIS/files/ccLibraryFiles/Filename/000000001003/Race and Ethnicity.pdf

Nobody thinks about race more than the US government.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Hi
North west Indians and Pakistanis are different looking. Don't you think so?
Morbidly false. You're comparing one region with another nation and talking about genetics. Genetics unfortunately doesn't fall n line with our politics and borders (that also keep changing over time).
If you go by the looks, Pakistanis themselves may not be of just one stock. A part of you look like Arabs by features and central Asian by color. Then again a part of your populace is totally unidentifiable from a typical north indian.

One fact cools down all these wild theories. That genetics should never be discussed merely by appearances. Because Genotypes and Phenotypes are two different things.
There may be more than one phenotypes manifested from one genotype and various other such permutations between these two.
Looking at either in isolation is incorrect.
Simply put - one gene may manifest different physical appearances based on many factors including how it reacts to a particular climate at a certain point of time.
Now add to this the fact that ancient humans have all been traveling and have travelled across continents of vastly different climates via various routes, staging at many places. What does that tell you about Genes vis a vis the Appearances?
That its a grand Khichdee :p and only a handsomely large sample based genetic research should be trusted, not that who is more gora or who is taller :D

Regards,
Virendra.

Zarvin

@Virendra

Hi thanks for your informative answer. Just to let you know, I was asking if we looked similar in appearance---I have no idea if we have similar genetics though.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Hello Ewald - saw the us govt doc you referred us to and thanks - but the document seems to me to be a categorisation perhaps of the main larger populationed immigrant communities . One reason for my saying so is that there is no mention of the various arab ethnic communities nor israeli , iranian is also missing , it is inadequate in the present form ? So I concluded that it is a short list with some specific application and not a categorisation from a genetic point of view of the ethnicities of mankind - as such the categorisation of indian under the asian sub-grioup is faulty or rather for some other purpose ...btw even the large pakistani nation is not mentioned ?

Hello Zarvin - thanks for being a great sport - really i agreed with your points of view most of what you posted was my way of seeing it as well

i just thought i'd get those two comments in - and keep 'em coming !!

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
@Virendra

Hi thanks for your informative answer. Just to let you know, I was asking if we looked similar in appearance---I have no idea if we have similar genetics though.
99.99% of our dna is same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles