Are IAF assets protected from EMP effects and CBRN threats ?

sbm

Country flag
One area that I don't think has been discussed - are IAF assets - aircraft/ SAMs/ networks etc sufficently EMP protected ?

Would aircraft in Hardened Aircraft Shelters/ Blast Pens - survive and EMP strike ?

And what of CBRN readiness ? Are HAS equipped with NBC filters and ability to seal themselves ?

I wonder if a metal hangar would shield aircraft from an EMP strike ?

captonjohn

Country flag
The answer is big No! Even US is not immune to such EMP blast. EMP blast kills all electronic thing resulting blinding the fighter planes, radars, missile networks, computer system, etc. It won't affect anything physically but electronics will render everything temporarily useless.

Abhinav Dharma

The answer is big No! Even US is not immune to such EMP blast. EMP blast kills all electronic thing resulting blinding the fighter planes, radars, missile networks, computer system, etc. It won't affect anything physically but electronics will render everything temporarily useless.
well if emp does not get destroyed by missiles first

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Armored and Mechanised infantry regularly conduct exercises under CBRN environment. T 90 , T 72 and BMP 2 are also fitted with NBC protection system.

Earlier IAF operated Mig 25 which was the only jet in service which would've operated even after the EMP blast.

Yes the only jet.

sbm

Country flag
That's why I ask the question about HAS - aircraft in them and metal hangars. Faraday shield concept. Flying aircraft or those in the open are something else.

armyofhind

Country flag
Airbases like Ambala, Gorakhpur and Lohegaon can operate under full CBRN conditions.
There must be more such airbases. I only speak from what I have seen.

Reactions: sbm

captonjohn

Country flag
I seriously doubt that. Flying plane no matter how advanced it is would be in great danger of frying some critical electronic circuits. There is no technology exists that make you immune to EMP. Protons can pass through anything.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I seriously doubt that. Flying plane no matter how advanced it is would be in great danger of frying some critical electronic circuits. There is no technology exists that make you immune to EMP. Protons can pass through anything.
The older the tech, the more the chance of survival from EMP.
The Mig-25 apparently uses vaccum tubes so it is highly resistant to EMP, though I am not sure if it is fully immune.

captonjohn

Country flag
The Mig-25 apparently uses vaccum tubes so it is highly resistant to EMP, though I am not sure if it is fully immune.
I think we should focus on developing effective technology to counter EMP.

sbm

Country flag
Remember something else - section of the IAF was cleared to drop nuclear gravity bombs. They would need to fly through EMP. Again I note the difference between a flying plane and ones on the ground in HAS and metal hangars. If my understanding is correct, once enclosed in a structure of conducting material, depending on the yield and how far away the target is from the detonation, aircraft might survive operationally. AD networks and C3 and even munitions stores are largely underground anyway.

charlie

Country flag
no it can't. actually the older tech is much more immune to EMP(of course not 60's vacuum tubes).

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
no it can't. actually the older tech is much more immune to EMP(of course not 60's vacuum tubes).
Your post seems to be in agreement with what i said in my post, or did you mean to say something else.

:notsure:

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
EMPs effect will not affect electronics that are switched off right?
EMP do not effect electronics that have no potential difference between power rails. It is much different that electronics being switched off.

With proper preventive measure electronics can me hardened to withstand EMP.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
I think we should focus on developing effective technology to counter EMP.
Their is already technology available that enables counter EMP. This techniques are implemented/commercialized in Integrated Circuits. This is the reason we have a different Military/Space grade components compared to commercial grade.
This is the reason we hear mass proliferation of EMPs.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
EMP do not effect electronics that have no potential difference between power rails. It is much different that electronics being switched off.

With proper preventive measure electronics can me hardened to withstand EMP.
Once the gamma rays from the nuke come, they charge the environment and a conductor type material can produce the potential difference required to damage the ICs etc.
But yes, devices can be hardened against EMP.

sbm

Country flag
And Razor, that's the question. The IAF is aware of the whole EMP issue but what has it done to harden assets. But I remember simulations which suggest faraday cages - well connected metal rebars in HAS and metal hangars can protect stored items - that and moving stuff underground.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
well if emp does not get destroyed by missiles first
Lol! How can a Electromagnetic Pulse get 'destroyed by a missile'?

Here's a template of mainland USA for a nuke explosion at different altitudes. All unprotected and un-shielded electronic equipment within the respective circles would be fried.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles