Are Chinese people truly miserable?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Are Chinese people truly miserable? - People's Daily Online

The conclusion is often that most Chinese people feel more miserable than before. As various conflicts break out, the public faces more social evils than before and have more ways to express their distress. Consequently the impression of their lifestyle is badly affected and negative assessments on society are flocking in.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Those who have gone through the Three Years of Natural Disasters, the Great Leap Forward, the Cultural Revolution would not be miserable. They have gone through harrowing times and the present times is Paradise to them.

It is the modern youth who are pampered because of the One child policy who will be miserable.

The article is a mere propaganda ploy to show how 'open and liberal' the Chinese media is!

The article has nothing concrete to suggest and instead is bland and mushy!

Last edited:

cir

I'd say a lot less miserable than their Indian brothers。 :rofl:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Did you read the article?

FTA
However, the government should bear the burden to reduce public misery, bringing dreams and hopes to society and encourage people to move in the right direction. Chinese people should believe that a better life awaits them and that the next generation will embrace a brighter future. People should also be confident in a more democratic and fairer society with less corruption.

kickok1975

Depend. China's living standard is getting higher so does average people's expectation. One would still feel miserable if he/she falls behind prevailing standard even his/her living condition is much better than older generations. Same is true for those poor families in US. Most of them have cars, TV, refrigerator and so on, they still feel miserable anyway.
So no matter where you are, there are always miserable people exist. The only difference is the degree of their misfortune.

charlyondfi

First you have to define what's "miserable", and such as compared to what standard...

-- listen to the Hedge Foundation, a very famous conservative think tank in USA "the issue of so-called 'poor Americans', which now close to 54 millions, is exaggreated, as almost all of them still enjoy mobile phone, washing machine, refrigerator, and even such as fax machine, PC". And comments from New York TImes, the flagship of liberty media, "the Hedge Foundation totally forgot it's the 'opportunity for society mobility' that separate poor & affluent people, NOT those pre-requisite for modern living standard."

to be continued

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
First you have to clearly define what's so-called "miserable". And compared to what standard.
-- listen to the Hedge Foundation, a very famous conservative think tank in USA "the issue of so-called 'poor Americans', which now close to 54 millions, is exaggreated, as almost all of them still enjoy mobile phone, washing machine, refrigerator, and even such as fax machine, PC". And comments from New York TImes, the flagship of liberty media, "this comment totally forgot it's the 'opportunity for society mobility' that separate poor & affluent people, NOT those pre-requisite for modern living standard."

to be continued
Old joke: A low-income woman is being interviewed on TV in her home. She says, "We are just so poor, we can't afford the basics. Why, the baby doesn't even have a crib; she has to sleep in the box that the color TV came in!"

amoy

forgot it's the 'opportunity for society mobility' that separate poor & affluent people, NOT those pre-requisite for modern living standard
ya key words here 'social mobility'. A society has to enable people to get elevated and status quo is changeable. In history many 'revolutions' or 'reforms' actually boosted that mobility by breaking existent ranks, against attempts to fossilize 'social order' (like caste) that prolongs miseries

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
Wellness is a very subjective thing. It is not always correlated to material availability. Japan is probably the most unhappy nation on earth, despite boasting one of the highest living standards in the world. Russia too is an unhappy nation, alkoholism and depression are widespread. Chinese as whole, are they happier than they were 30 years ago when they were much much poorer than they are today, i don't know. Answer is probably not. But this does not mean a russian, a japanese or even a chinese would happily accept to migrate to India, probably the country with planet's most optimistic people.

But I do fully agree wealth does not necessarily bring happiness.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
True.

We can express our misery.

Some others have not got that luxury!

And I presume the Peoples' Daily is lying through its teeth!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Old joke: A low-income woman is being interviewed on TV in her home. She says, "We are just so poor, we can't afford the basics. Why, the baby doesn't even have a crib; she has to sleep in the box that the color TV came in!"
Yes that is real interesting a situation that I saw on the TV showing poor Americans living on social security.

I was astounded at what the US call as 'poor people'.

That family had good clothes, colour TV, refrigerator, a freezer (which I don't have) and a battered car. The flat was merely untidy. And what the family had on the table was more than adequate and which even our lower middle class cannot afford!

Human beings, as a class, can never be satisfied.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
ya key words here 'social mobility'. A society has to enable people to get elevated and status quo is changeable. In history many 'revolutions' or 'reforms' actually boosted that mobility by breaking existent ranks, against attempts to fossilize 'social order' (like caste) that prolongs miseries
Caste has been turned the other way around.

Those deprived in earlier times is now depriving those who deprived them! :pound:

Bhartoos99

Tihar Jail
Banned
chinese might be miserable but not more then Bhartoos they are the most miserable poor ppl in world.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
chinese might be miserable but not more then Bhartoos they are the most miserable poor ppl in world.
My friend, this forum is not a rag that you maybe accustomed to.

Please desist from inane oneliners and instead give reasoning too!

Who is Bhartoos?

I see that it is you.

I may remind you that we do not use this forum to lament personal problems. If you are miserable as Bharatoos, please be free to discuss it with your family and not lament out here. None can help you!

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag
But this does not mean a russian, a japanese or even a chinese would happily accept to migrate to India, probably the country with planet's most optimistic people.

well that what east pakistan & tibet people were thinking before migrating :taunt:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles