Apple probes China factories

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Shanghai, Jan. 27: Apple has launched an investigation into practices in its factories in China that include child labour, 24 hour working days and unsafe conditions at the plants which manufacture its iPhones, iPads and computers.

In an email allegedly sent to Apple's 60,000 or so employees, Tim Cook, the company's chief executive said that Apple "cares about every worker in its supply chain".

The letter appears to be in response to a series of articles in the New York Times cataloguing the company's problems in China and divisions within Apple about how to handle the issues.

The paper said more than half of the suppliers audited by Apple have broken at least one part of its conduct code each year since 2007 and have even broken the law in some cases.

"Most people would still be really disturbed if they saw where their iPhone comes from," one unnamed former Apple executive told the newspaper. Cook's letter, which was reproduced on the website 9to5mac.com, promised that Apple would "continue to dig deeper" into problems in China and that it would "undoubtedly find more issues". "What will not do, and never have done, is stand still or turn a blind eye to problems in our supply chain," he added.

"Any accident is deeply troubling, and any issue with working conditions is cause for concern."
Imagine this!

I am sure our good worthies of China will say these are 'sweat factories'!

Not only the child labour is being used but also under unsafe conditions!

Charming China!!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I am sure apple biggies are permanently posted in Chinese factories to supervise tr work done. They would have known.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Apple don't care how Foxconn makes it, as long as it gets done . They only do these audits for PR sake.

niharjhatn

Apple don't care how Foxconn makes it, as long as it gets done . They only do these audits for PR sake.
Whats sad is that RRP for their products remains ridiculously high, when they are as cost cutting (perhaps even more so!) than other similar companies.

I read an article a while back where some of the construction firms in Sweden were charging ridiculous overheads for items they subcontract to companies in Asia, like Vietnam, maintaining a high price as the common public think it is being made locally.

I daresay Apple is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to such an industry double-standard.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
All western countries take hefty margin on anything. The products that start from china at about $10 are sold at $200-250 and this I am saying about the products I sell in India. I buy from Taiwan and still that same product costs $15.

I was going through the terms and conditions of an Australian company selling the kind of products I sell. They charge a restocking charge of 20% for any goods returned for any reason. 20% is something I don't get normally when I sell these days.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
All western countries take hefty margin on anything. The products that start from china at about $10 are sold at $200-250 and this I am saying about the products I sell in India. I buy from Taiwan and still that same product costs $15.

I was going through the terms and conditions of an Australian company selling the kind of products I sell. They charge a restocking charge of 20% for any goods returned for any reason. 20% is something I don't get normally when I sell these days.
Why are you not on an even playing field.

That is if I have understood you.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Why are you not on an even playing field.

That is if I have understood you.
Sir western companies selling in their own countries charge that much.

It all adds up to cost. Everything is expensive.

Mr.Ryu

Country flag
It's pure eye wash i cant believe Apple outsourced to an extend that it does not know what's happening in their own plant for years. They all care is $$$ not some $h!t HR activities.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles