Apple co-founder Steve Jobs dies at 56

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
He is a visionary but nevertheless he screwed people with his closed systems and eco-systems. He is the one guy who should be partially credited for giving a better User Experience (UX) with the electronic products and making it a standard in consumer electronics. RIP to him.

PS: I'm a apple fanboy :D

warriorextreme

Country flag
steve jobs never liked India for some reason...it is like India was never on his world map....apple products are also priced very very high in India....
RIP anyways..

agentperry

a legend indeed.

he deserves a place in almighty's heaven.

a revolutionary in world IT and computing.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Man who beat every challenge life posed on him. His thirst to compete no matter what odds are there, makes him extraordinary. He should be studied apart from his Apple days or his products or his company policies. Enough said.

It does not matter from which great height you fall, what matters is how high you rebound afterwards.

May rest in peace.

Phenom

RIP

Steve Jobs was probably the best business man of this generation. He managed to sell something that people didn't really need and more importantly he managed to sell it at a premium :whistle:.

But he is no Edison :tsk:, that level of praise should be reserved of Bill Gates.

nimo_cn

Country flag
god must be very anxious to have a look at iPhone5, that is the reason why he took Jobs away. Apple could have saved Jobs' life by unveiling iPhone5 instead of iPhone4S.

nimo_cn

Country flag
that is the least we can do. but a fake iPhone was not able to impress anyone, much less god.

trackwhack

steve jobs never liked India for some reason...it is like India was never on his world map....apple products are also priced very very high in India....
RIP anyways..
Incorrect : He did not prefer India as an Apple R&D location. However, he spent a lot of time in India as a neo hippie seeking enlightenment. He converted to Buddhism after spending time here. He went back and did a lot of acid and acknowledged that acid had a lot to do with his visionary ideas.

btw, RIP but I have mixed feelings. I am cross posting from another forum and this person said it best (my perspective)

"RIP, Steve, but as much of a visionary as you were, I hope that your passing away will contribute to giving us back the openness in computing, that same openness that you did so much to destroy"

sky

Just like to say buying apple product's over the last few years have not only been great buy's but bring a smile to your face when you use them .. Thanks steve ,my kid's will agree with me when i say i can't see us going back to windows.

RIP ,Because of you we have a real alternative to window's that's easy to use as well as fun.

Country flag
Rest in Peace Steve Jobs you were a great visionary, your legacy will live on for generations.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
He was not only innovator of this century but a great motivator to the up and coming young generation. I am talking about the commencement address to Sanford University in which he talks about death. It is worth having in my collection.

Individuals who are critical of his policy to keep his OS not open system should respect him as a human being and reserve their comments for other thread. This thread is to pay our tribute and respect to Icon of the IT and electronic world.

Rest In Peace.

trackwhack

He was not only innovator of this century but a great motivator to the up and coming young generation. I am talking about the commencement address to Sanford University in which he talks about death. It is worth having in my collection.

Individuals who are critical of his policy to keep his OS not open system should respect him as a human being and reserve their comments for other thread. This thread is to pay our tribute and respect to Icon of the IT and electronic world.

Rest In Peace.
If Icon of IT were a popularity contest then I guess you are right. However Steve Jobs is far from that. He is a niche designer of consumer products thats all. None of his products were ever innovative. Here is the list.

1) Apple was not the first Personal Computer maker, IBM was.
2) Apple stole the GUI and mouse from Douglas Engelbart
3) There were MP3 players before the iPOD
4) There were tablets before the iPAD
5) There were touchscreen phones before the iPhone.

Infact there is no iAnything that was innovative.

There is only one thing to credit Jobs for and that is iPRETTY. Making stuff that is visually appealing to women and kids. Therefore making all the teenage alpha males want it too so they become 'cool'

Calling him IT icon of the century is naive and disrespectful to so many pioneers and inventors without whom Jobs wouldnt even have found a mention in a local tabloid.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Agree with most of your points except this one

There is only one thing to credit Jobs for and that is iPRETTY. Making stuff that is visually appealing to women and kids. Therefore making all the teenage alpha males want it too so they become 'cool'

More than just iPretty, the products did/do have fantastic GUI's. AFAIK , stuff like hardware accelerated window drawing (on windows and linux) was inspired from OS X

Apart from GUI, Apple's products are brilliant on the industrial design aspect too

Last edited:

trackwhack

Agree with most of your points except this one

More than just iPretty, the products did/do have fantastic GUI's. AFAIK , stuff like hardware accelerated window drawing (on windows and linux) was inspired from OS X
I agree, but these are far from innovative or groundbreaking to be crediting Jobs with the title of IT icon of the century sir. :) Apologies if I sounded harsh in the assessment. I have nothing but respect for Jobs and totally acknoledge that I am a patzer who does not have a whiff of his business or marketing acumen. Just that people credit him for all the wrong reasons.

If he was bestowed the tiitle marketing Icon of the century I would happily acknowledge it. Not IT icon of the century.

pmaitra

^^What Steve would have come up with is newer and more novel ways of screwing over his customers. Like forcing people to buy proprietary power cords for iPhones instead of standard usb power cables. Or like making self-servicing of Macbooks impossible. Or like coming up with every closed, greedy, "sell you the rope to hang me with" type of scheme. A crook disguised as an "innovator". Sure, he was definitely a master innovator at fooling layidiots into buying his stuff.

No RIP for this one.
Well, if he was alive today, I'd have agreed with you. Now that he is dead, let us be courteous and mourn him. This is an emotional moment, especially for Apple fans, so objectivity is neither useful nor appropriate at this moment.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles