APJ Abdul Kalam's new book - Turning Points

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by ejazr, Jun 30, 2012.

1. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

I think I will have to grab this book when I visit India next. Some interesting tidbits coming out now

Kalam uncovers uneasy innings with UPA

June 29: Had Mamata Banerjee got hold of an advance copy of A.P.J. Abdul Kalam’s Turning Points — A Journey Through Challenges, she would have picked up a few nuggets that offer an insight into the UPA leadership’s reservations about another term for the former President.

Kalam’s sequel to his bestseller Wings of Fire gives a picture of his uneasy relationship with the UPA government from May 2004 till his term as President expired in July 2007. The book, published by HarperCollins, is yet to be released.

The former President admits he had problems with the office of profit bill of 2006, which sought to protect Sonia from disqualification as MP from Rae Bareli. Sonia later resigned and got re-elected.

Kalam says he did not find the bill “fair and reasonable” and took the unparalleled step of returning it to Parliament, instead of the Union cabinet, for reconsideration. This was the first time a President had returned a bill to the secretaries-general of the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha. Later, Kalam signed the bill after it had gone through a joint parliamentary committee.

He says that after the surprise May 2004 poll results, he had forwarded to various government agencies —“without making any comment” — all the emails and letters he had received that objected to Sonia staking a claim to form the government.

Kalam, however, insists that had Sonia staked a claim for herself, “I would have had no option but to appoint her.”

He says he was surprised when Sonia arrived at Rashtrapati Bhavan with Manmohan Singh.

“She showed me letters of support from various parties. Thereupon, I said that is welcome. The Rashtrapati Bhavan is ready for the swearing-in ceremony at the time of your choice,” he writes.

“That is when she told me that she would like to nominate Dr Manmohan Singh. This was definitely a surprise to me and the Rashtrapati Bhavan secretariat had to rework the letter (replacing Manmohan’s name with Sonia’s).”

On the face of it, Kalam’s positions on the office of profit bill of 2006 and government formation in May 2004 appear to have been within his rights as President. But Mamata, who has spent a large part of her political life in the Congress, would instantly know that such independent thinking would not go down well with any “Nehru-Gandhi loyalist” or motivate them to back such a person for another term in office.

Oblivious of such political considerations, Kalam goes on to quote the Manu Smriti on gifts or profit — “By accepting gifts, the divine light in the person gets extinguished” — as well as the Hadith (the sayings of Prophet Mohammad): “When the Almighty appoints a person to a position, He takes care of his provision. If a person takes anything beyond that, it is an illegal gain.”

Kalam also mentions a purported episode involving Manmohan Singh, a scene apparently so “touching” that the former President does “not want to describe it”.

In October 2005, Kalam told the Prime Minister he would step down following the Supreme Court’s adverse verdict on the dissolution of the Bihar Assembly.

The apex court had described that year’s May 23 presidential proclamation dissolving the Bihar Assembly as unconstitutional and termed Kalam’s decision “mala fide”.

“As soon as the verdict was known, I wrote a letter of resignation, signed it and kept it ready to be sent to the Vice-President, Bhairon Singh Shekhawat,” Kalam writes.

“The Vice-President was away. Meanwhile, the Prime Minister came to see me for some other discussion. I said I have decided to resign and showed him the letter.

“The scene was touching and I do not want to describe it. The Prime Minister pleaded that I should not do it at this difficult time. He said that as a result of the furore that would be created, even the government may fall.”

Few details were known about this episode, although suggestions were then made that the Prime Minister turned “very emotional”.

Kalam said the following 24 hours were extremely difficult for him. “Conscience is the light of the soul that burns within the chambers of the heart. That night I could not sleep. I was asking myself whether my conscience is important or the nation more important. The next day, I did my early morning namaz as usual. Then I took the decision to withdraw my decision to resign and not to disturb the government.”

Kalam claims he had told Manmohan Singh that the cabinet’s decision to recommend the dissolution of the Bihar Assembly had not been presented properly in the court.

“I told him this once on the telephone and (the) second time personally. He mentioned that he would brief the lawyers to present the President’s action supported by facts and (the) sequence of events. Ultimately, I was convinced that the lawyers did not put forth my side of actions as expected.”

Bihar had come under President’s Rule on March 7, 2005, after the Assembly elections threw up a fractured verdict and no party or group was in a position to form a government. The Assembly was kept under suspended animation but governor Buta Singh later recommended dissolution of the House.

Kalam was in Moscow when the Union cabinet decided to recommend dissolution of the Assembly, which had not had a single sitting.

“The call (from the Prime Minister) came at 1am Moscow time. I discussed the issues and raised the questions with the Prime Minister and I was convinced that even if I returned the cabinet decision, it would not matter because the decision would be somehow taken. Hence I decided to approve the dissolution,” Kalam writes.

3. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

APJ Kalam...shata shata pranam. Great son of India.

panduranghari likes this.
  4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

There can be no two opinion that he is quite an independent minded man.

This should put to an end the speculation that Kalam told Sonia G that she cannot be the PM.

5. parijataka

While it is correct if Sonia Gandhi's name had been proposed for PM the President would have had to accept as he/she is only a titular head of state, 2004 is not so distant in history that the objections raised at the time by those who opposed Sonia Gandhi as PM are still recallable. Mrs Gandhi probably thought better to back off if indeed she had plans to become PM.

Sonia-as-PM in 2004: Has Kalam backtracked or is Swamy wrong?

6. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

7. Patriot

Patriot Senior Member Senior Member

Kalam on Sonia Gandhi as PM

Sonia Gandhi no symbol of sacrifice: BJP

8. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Re: Kalam on Sonia Gandhi as PM

Kalam not being truthful on Sonia-as-PM episode, says Swamy

Hong Kong: Janata Party leader Subramanian Swamy said on Saturday that former President APJ Abdul Kalam was “not being truthful to history” in claiming, as he does in his memoirs, that he had been ready in 2004 to appoint Congress leader Sonia Gandhi as Prime Minister, overruling political opposition that cited Sonia Gandhi‘s foreign origins.

In an interview to Firstpost in Hong Kong on the sidelines of a World Hindu Economic Forum, Swamy said that Kalam should release the letter that (Swamy claims) Kalam wrote to Sonia Gandhi at 3.30 pm on 17 May 2004, which would establish that Kalam had indicated to Sonia Gandhi that her claim to prime ministership would not be honoured.

Abdul Kalam would enhance his credibility “if he published the letter he wrote to Sonia Gandhi at 3.30 pm,” Swamy said. There were two other eyewitnesses to the fact that a letter did go out to Sonia Gandhi, Swamy said.

(Swamy has earlier claimed that both Manmohan Singh and Natwar Singh knew of the letter, and he confirmed that again today.)

Swamy’s dare comes in response to claims that Kalam made in his memoirs that he had prepared a letter appointing Sonia Gandhi as Prime Minister, despite political opposition to such a move, from Swamy and others. Kalam also notes in his memoirs that when Sonia Gandhi and Manmohan Singh came to Rashtrapati Bhavan, Sonia Gandhi surprised him (Kalam) by saying that she was appointing Manmohan Singh for the Prime Minister’s post. The appointment letter from Rashtrapati Bhavan, which initially had Sonia Gandhi’s name for Prime Ministership, had to be changed, Kalam notes in his memoirs. (More on that here.)

That version of events has now been challenged by Swamy, who says he met Kalam at 12.30 on that afternoon to point out that there were legal obstacles to appointing Sonia Gandhi as Prime Minister.

“I had met (Kalam) at 12.30 pm and explained to him that there is a legal bar,” Swamy told Firstpost. “Subsequently, I learnt that there was a letter written by him cancelling his appointment with Sonia Gandhi for 5 pm” — at which Sonia Gandhi was to have staked her claim to the Prime Ministership on the basis of supporting letters from alliance parties.

“If Mr Abdul Kalam doesn’t publish that letter, I would think that he is not being truthful to history,” Swamy said.

Swamy has indicated earlier that Kalam had invited him to Rashtrapati Bhavan to explain to him and to other officials the nature of the legal obstacles that Sonia Gandhi’s appointment would face — since, in Swamy’s opinion, her Indian citizenship (by registration) was flawed since she had not renounced her Italian citizenship.

Swamy has further claimed that when he was at Rashtrapati Bhavan, he even came across a letter from Sonia Gandhi to President Kalam supporting her own nomination for prime ministership (more here). (He cites this to challenge the dominant Congress narrative that Sonia Gandhi was never interested in the top job.)

When Firstpost asked Swamy if he was standing by his assertion that Kalam had been persuaded not to appoint Sonia Gandhi as Prime Minister, he said emphatically: “Yes, I know it for a fact that a letter was written… That letter is on record.”

In response to another question, Swamy said he could not explain why Kalam was today offering an alternative version of the narrative that challenged Swamy’s. Asked if Kalam’s claim should be seen in the light of the aborted attempt to nominate him for a second term as President, perhaps with the support of the Congress, Swamy declined to speculate. “The more important question is: why is he saying what he is saying now,” he added.

Asked if he was disappointed at having pitched for a second term for Kalam as President (in the light of the revelations in Kalam’s memoirs, which challenge Swamy’s version of the events), Swamy said he had no regrets at all, “I still believe he would have made a very good candidate.” Perhaps there were other circumstances that he didn’t know about that might account for Kalam’s change in the narrative, Swamy added.

9. nrj

Maybe Kalam is paid by Congress?? :sad:

Sent via Tapatalk from a galaxy far far away

10. SHURIDH

SHURIDH Senior Member Senior Member

Thats interesting

11. maomao

maomao Veteran Hunter of Maleecha Senior Member

Yeppieee........... Now White Italian Madam as filthy India's PM!! We cannot go lower than this at white master worshiping!

12. parijataka

What was this then ? What really happened in 2004 ? Statement issued by Manmohan Singh and reported by PTI saying Sonia will be sworn in as PM. Why did Sonia back out then ?

Sonia Gandhi to meet President Kalam shortly
    PTI May 18, 2004, 09.39am IST

13. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

Swamy is saying the same for last 7 years, Kalam's statement may be a paid one to glorify SoniaG at the time when Congress is at its lowest. :sad:

14. spikey360

spikey360 Crusader Senior Member

Very very disappointing to see that APJ Abdul Kalam is saying all these things, after all these years. Not only is the time inappropriate, his version is also incongruent, to the degree where Swamy says what he's saying is in contradiction to records.
    People of this country have tremendous respect for Kalam and his achievements. He is everything a patriot is and can be.
    It is disheartening to see him come out with statements that not only rack up controversy, but also go against the grain of logic.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  15. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

With the kind of conduct the two have had over the past many years, one is more likely to believe Kalam than Swamy.

The way this chap used to conduct himself during the NDA days, and the frequent U turns then, it is very difficult to believe this chap out rightly. This chap has had too much of a chequered past.

Swamy is not telling the story he earlier used to recite. His earlier statement on one of the show was, he carried a self written letter to the president which detailed the reasons why Sonia couldn't be made the PM and there were references picked up from the constitution, but now he is not making any mention of that letter.

Whatever may be the truth, at least Kalam's book gets the publicity and should be selling well in the book stores as and when it hits the shelves.

ejazr likes this.
  16. parijataka

contd...

It is obvious decks were cleared for Sonia to be sworn in as PM as per above [it is a PTI news item, hopefully should be there on multiple websites even if Sibal Uncle/Ambika Aunty pull the plug] and as per Kalam he would have had to swear her in `if` required to. The announcement was made by no less than Manmohan Singh that Sonia would be PM and then she backed out.

17. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Can we have all Kalam's boom related thread combined in one place with this one here http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...points-kalam-uncovers-uneasy-innings-upa.html ?

FirstPost had a good article on why it was a mistake by the NDA to rake up the foreign origin issue and stop Sonia from being a PM. Particularly when most discussions have shown that there would be no legal or constitutional bar for her to become one

I am just surprised that Swamy would now go so low as to imply that Kalam is lying. What is the need for him(Kalam) to lie favorably about this after all that has happened to him under UPA?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  18. Bhadra

Bhadra Defence Professionals Defence Professionals Senior Member

Bilawal Bhutto should be invited as his grand parents were once Indians and have claims on Delhi Red Fort. Lawyers can argue and prove validity of that claim. Still, Mushy can be considered having a Kothy in Delhi. Then India will become Darul ul Islam.

maomao likes this.
  19. skumar7777

skumar7777 Regular Member

Abdul Kalam dared to stop Sonia from becoming PM says Dr Subramanian Swamy.

In this speech, Dr Subramanian Swamy mentions that he was invited by the President to meet the President along with his staff at 12.45 PM. Dr Subramanian Swamy should name a few people from the President's staff who were present at the meeting and who can corroborate the sequence of events. I hope he does it even if it means tarnishing the image of Dr Kalam since truth must prevail. If Dr Swamy does not take this head on, I would be inclined to believe Dr Kalam.

What is undeniable is that Sonia Gandhi was the Congress candidate for PM on that day and she was scheduled to meet the President at 5 PM - this was widely reported in the news media also. All letters of support by Congress MPs were in the name of Sonia Gandhi. So something made her change her mind in a few hours and I personally find it difficult to believe that it was a sudden desire for sacrifice.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    parijataka and maomao like this.
  20. maomao

maomao Veteran Hunter of Maleecha Senior Member

Jokes apart, Bilawal will make a better PM of India, than Antonia, Robert, Raul Vincci, Piyanka their kids put together! :)

21. nrj

Had Kalam said otherwise confirming Swamy's claims, people would have said that finally truth is out & then celebrated it like Diwali.

Sent via Tapatalk from a galaxy far far away