Origins of Sinhalese and Sri Lankan Tamils

HeinzGud

Country flag
I have proved that you are delusional many a time.

check this thread!

Anyway you are no one to decide who will live in SL.

In case you want to get chirpy, there are ways to put you in your place.

You are not debating, you are merely out to abuse our hospitality.

You have good reasons to worry about India, but you could say it more pleasantly without acting as if you are propagating a SL version of Mein Kampf.
Dear Mr. Ray I think you all are misunderstood about what I posted so far! Only I wanted was to clarify some Tamil misconceptions about Sinhalese ppl.... I noted on some other thread. But what I really wanted u ppl to know is that Sinhalese is different from Tamil ppl and this country is Sinhalese but at the same time pls note that Tamil or any kind of nationalism can live in Sri Lanka as Tamil ppl lived with us for nearly 800 years. This whole problem is created by none other than Europeans!

This sinhalese poster seems to create and pose an "unnatural brotherlyhood" (of course, non-existant!) between tamils and sinhalese. instead of justifying with genetic/anthropological evidences why dont he ask the sinhalese soldiers who killed innocent tamils in northern lanka?

PS: i am not talking about the killing of LTTE soldiers (even woman) but innocent tamil kids, women and men in no-fire zone and in hospital.

no matter sinhalese are from tamil or bengali origin, but whoever killed innocent lives are not humans - just a predator looking for blood and live flesh (to rape). this is going on from early 80s, a 9 months pregnant lady (Mrs. Kutty mani) was raped and her unborn baby was take out by knife (infront of rifle) and killed by legs. this is a starting point and still going on until now. Helpless buddha is just staring at these demons, helplessly as he dont have trishul as like shiva and other gods.

very poor.

instead of posting these topics try to help the poor souls in north lanka or else try to teach humanity to your adamant "sinhala" centric community.
Well how can you Tamils and Sinhalese didn't had a brotherhood? Didn't you knw our history?? For 800 years Tamil ppl lived with Sinhalese, even our kings had Tamil Queens! If you analysis modern Sinhalese culture there are evident examples about Tamil culture mingle with our own....

Well you can categorize LTTE carders as Tamils! I don't blame you for that because most of the time LTTE enlisted normal Tamil civilians for war duties! Is it humane act???? Did SLA told them to go to no fire zone! No It was LTTE who dragged them to the NFZ and used them as humane shields..... Did LTTE wanted the safety of their own ppl?? No they wanted more Tamil deths so they can pressure SLA more! wasn't that their strategy??? Before pointing fingers at SLA look at your own and prosecute ppl like Vaico who still propagate the rotten LTTE elam theories!

Well if our solider did wrong thing he should be prosecuted! one solidires crime and mentality is not represent the whole country! Even we have prosecuted soldies beofre for such crimes . We can do it now also if they porven guilty (but not by biased LTTE videos) through proper way!

Even don't drag things in 80s we have changed a lot since then!

Last edited:

HeinzGud

Country flag
I have proved that you are delusional many a time.

check this thread!

Anyway you are no one to decide who will live in SL.

In case you want to get chirpy, there are ways to put you in your place.

You are not debating, you are merely out to abuse our hospitality.

You have good reasons to worry about India, but you could say it more pleasantly without acting as if you are propagating a SL version of Mein Kampf.
This sinhalese poster seems to create and pose an "unnatural brotherlyhood" (of course, non-existant!) between tamils and sinhalese. instead of justifying with genetic/anthropological evidences why dont he ask the sinhalese soldiers who killed innocent tamils in northern lanka?

PS: i am not talking about the killing of LTTE soldiers (even woman) but innocent tamil kids, women and men in no-fire zone and in hospital.

no matter sinhalese are from tamil or bengali origin, but whoever killed innocent lives are not humans - just a predator looking for blood and live flesh (to rape). this is going on from early 80s, a 9 months pregnant lady (Mrs. Kutty mani) was raped and her unborn baby was take out by knife (infront of rifle) and killed by legs. this is a starting point and still going on until now. Helpless buddha is just staring at these demons, helplessly as he dont have trishul as like shiva and other gods.

very poor.

instead of posting these topics try to help the poor souls in north lanka or else try to teach humanity to your adamant "sinhala" centric community.
Please present your points in a concise and clear manner, frankly speaking I could not understand the clear meaning and motive of the first post, so that I can understand them. Be clear on what propaganda do you wish to counter, how and and why?
Sorry for that I still learning this threading system! I'll be more careful in the future!

prakashbioc

This poster not answered my question of bombing hospitals, kids and women and i even explained clearly i am not talking about LTTE. but still he is posting and answering LTTE centric. someone correctly said" SL mein kampf".

Just answer only one and my last question to you:

CAN YOU EVER PROVE THAT ANYONE OF THE LTTE RAPED A SINGLE SINHALESE WOMAN ???????

You, SLA, SLA military intelligence, Gottha, raja, pasil and family & co - CANNOT

not even in documentary (lies, agreed upon) prepared by SL army to counter-srilanka's killing fields - no proof.

as you repeatedly talking history - learn our "Genuine" tamil history - even our tamil terrorist wont touch another woman. So you think about your genuine(?!) sinhalese armed forces teetotal nature.

First follow your gods (buddha's) noble preachings: Dont kill other living beings, desire (including woman's flesh) is root cause of all the sorrows.

@ MODS - please close this thread. we are looking for genuine and informational posters not self-praising, false propaganda and hard-selling lies.

SL Mein Kampf - SOLD OUT

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@ MODS - please close this thread. we are looking for genuine and informational posters not self-praising, false propaganda and hard-selling lies.
PM Yusuf with your request.

He is handling this angle!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
HeinzGud,

I tried my best to make you understand how to post in a way that it does not raise hackles.

I leave it to Yusuf, our administrator, to decide what is best.

Let us await that!

In the interim, please calm yourself and look at everything here as learning by interaction and not a forum to undertake propaganda.

HeinzGud

Country flag
This poster not answered my question of bombing hospitals, kids and women and i even explained clearly i am not talking about LTTE. but still he is posting and answering LTTE centric. someone correctly said" SL mein kampf".

Just answer only one and my last question to you:

CAN YOU EVER PROVE THAT ANYONE OF THE LTTE RAPED A SINGLE SINHALESE WOMAN ???????

You, SLA, SLA military intelligence, Gottha, raja, pasil and family & co - CANNOT

not even in documentary (lies, agreed upon) prepared by SL army to counter-srilanka's killing fields - no proof.

as you repeatedly talking history - learn our "Genuine" tamil history - even our tamil terrorist wont touch another woman. So you think about your genuine(?!) sinhalese armed forces teetotal nature.

First follow your gods (buddha's) noble preachings: Dont kill other living beings, desire (including woman's flesh) is root cause of all the sorrows.

SL Mein Kampf - SOLD OUT
Well I can't answer the claim of bombing the hospital and neither prakashbioc............. because their is no proof! He can post a picture of damaged building but it can't be verified! Even with clear red cross sign on the roof but how can we beilieve it cuz LTTE could paint that on the roof later as of the LTTE claim of the sencholei training camp incidence! Pleace friend don't ask stupid question neither you nor I can prove!

About the issue of raping sinhalese women.... well I can't cuz I haven't sniffed after Tamil semen so I can prosecute a Tamil! and I also think that prakashbioc cannot even prove that SLA soldier raped Tamil women..... You can say anything friend but you have to prove it to make me a Hitler......... However the LTTE suicide blaster Dahnu was raped by Indian soldiers..... thats a clear fact ain't it?

Any ways here is little something....... that your peaceful Tamil liberators done............... It's even a shame to call them Tamil!

Kabithigollawa massacre (26 June 2006)

This is a passenger bus..... LTTE deliberetly targeted and attacked not in war time but during ceasefire in 2006.
Lot of innocent people were killed by the Claimor mine explosion.....

That bus didn't had any protection and it was ripped like a paper when mine exploded! More than 60 people were on that bus............... Sri Lankan Tamils were lucky that Sinhalese aren't like those Paki crackpots......

Does this enough for a seperate homeland?????

Bus bomb in Colombo

Luckly the conducter was tipped and no human toll on this one (2007)

Kahawa bus bomb

Killed 15 injured 40........................... (6th Jan 2006)

..........................................................................................................................................

These all bombs went up just to make Sinhalese people afraid of LTTE so Sinhalese would give Tamil Elam put on a silver platter!!!!

Are those nesessary for asking to stop discrimination???? Is this the way to ask to stop discriminatig???? Does India practice this on day to day basis????

jamwal

Country flag
I for one favour elimination of LTTE. Tamil nationalism in SriLanka was pure shit and didn't had a lef to stand upon. Sure, there were some atrocities on innocent Tamils too, but theres bound to be collateral damage in any such operation. Specially when inhuman morons like LTTE were involved. More Tamils must've died due to pig pigheadednessof LTTE than Sri lankan army

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Jamwal.

You were there when the show was on?

jamwal

Country flag
Adding to previous post, missed it earlier

On the other hand, it's also true that Sinhalese govt hasn't exactly been cooperative to India and has tried to needle us whenevr opportunity presented itself. One instance that I can recall is when SriLanka offered port facilities to Paki ships in 1971. True that Tamil Lankans had some genuine grievances against Sinhalese majority, but the way LTTE hijacked the whole Tamil movement to turn it into a senseless brutal civil war cannot be justified. Indian handling of the situation is not much to be glad about either

Ray, Show as in the flame wars going on previous pages ? Yea, aware of that

KS

Bye bye DFI
Adding to previous post, missed it earlier

On the other hand, it's also true that Sinhalese govt hasn't exactly been cooperative to India and has tried to needle us whenevr opportunity presented itself. One instance that I can recall is when SriLanka offered port facilities to Paki ships in 1971. True that Tamil Lankans had some genuine grievances against Sinhalese majority, but the way LTTE hijacked the whole Tamil movement to turn it into a senseless brutal civil war cannot be justified. Indian handling of the situation is not much to be glad about either

Ray, Show as in the flame wars going on previous pages ? Yea, aware of that
LTTE didn't exactly hijack the movement. They eliminated the squabbling gangs and presented one united front.

The only blunder LTTE did was not accepting the 2002 ceasefire. Sucess got to their head and it proved to be the ultimate undoing.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
From the Terror Journal

The reasons for the rise of LTTE in Sri Lanka

After the bestowing of independence in 1948 the relative peace that prevailed in Sri Lanka in the preceding century was steadily eroded. The process began with the introduction of the "Indian and Pakistan Citizenship Act" and the State sponsored colonization of predominant Tamil areas with Sinhalese "Island Re convicted Criminals (IRC's)" to weaken the political strength of the Tamils in those parts of the country by the UNP government of D.S.Senanayake and later the venting out of popular Singhalese umbrage against the Tamils by electing S.W.R.D. Bandaranaike for his "Sinhala Only" (a policy of making Singhalese the sole official language) policy in 1956. The treachery of S.W.R.D with regard to the Bandaranaike-Chelvanyagam Pact of 1957 amplified increasingly strained relations between the two races.

These reached a boiling point in May 1958 when riots broke out in Colombo and the provinces; the most notable implication of these pogroms, besides the greater level of antagonism between the races, was that the Tamils began to lose confidence in the Government of Sri Lanka to safeguard them and treat them as equitable citizens. The primary reason was for five days (until the Indian High Commissioner intervened) the government had stood aside and had done nothing. This perception was intensified by the riots of 1977 (where the UNP government of J.R.Jayawardene failed to protect Tamils from Singhalese gangs with the words 'War or Peace, you decide'), the burning of the Jaffna Public Library (a symbol of Tamil culture and an important repository of original texts relating to the origins of the Tamils).

The role of standardization must not be forgotten; the Jaffna Tamils depended on education for economic advancement. The introduction of standardization in 1973 meant that Jaffna Tamils would lose their niche position in the Civil Service and private sector. In 1969, the Northern Province, which was largely populated by Tamils and compromised 7% of the population of the country, provided 27.5 percent of the entrants to science based courses in Sri Lankan universities. By 1974, this was reduced to 7% (through the 'standardization handicap' race). This is repeatedly cited as evidence of State discrimination against Tamils, and hence contributed in undermining the Tamil's confidence in the State.

By 1983 the Tamils were treated as second-class citizens; their language not recognized, advancement in the civil service limited, discriminated against in terms of education and not protected by their State. Furthermore, they were considered aliens in their own land. This general perception was dominant at even the highest levels of government:

"If there is discrimination in this land which is not their (Tamil) homeland, then why try to stay here. Why not go back home (India) where there would be no discrimination. There are your kovils and Gods. There you have your culture, education, universities etc. There you are masters of your own fate"
- Mr.W.J.M. Lokubandara, M.P. in Sri Lanka's Parliament, July 1981

This can be considered with ease as a lucid breach of the social contract; the Tamils then felt it their right to rebel and restore their rights. The Vaddukoddai Resolution of 1976 had firmly placed this restoration in terms of a separate sate. A guerilla movement emerged from those dissatisfied and brought the conflict into a new phase.

One of the root causes of the ethnic issue is the feeling of inequality and oppression and for the ethnic conflict to be solved these must be dealt with; however this must be done within a framework considering the mutual hate and the deep rifts created in the last 25 years.

A country deeply divided, over 60,000 dead, a generation (or two) lost, children brainwashed, hatred and above all fear. What can be done? The solution is simple yet concurrently complex. It is based on the cry of the French Revolution "Liberty, Equality and Fraternity"; all ethnic groups must be treated as equals. How it is to be achieved? The solution lies in the creation of a modern liberal democratic structure that ensures the rights of all citizens are equally upheld. All citizens must be treated equally. A sense of national identity based on the principle of the nation state rather than ethnicity must be instilled and cultivated.

On a practical level this means that the government should not consider the race of a person for any purpose e.g. the indication of race on national identification is unnecessary and counterproductive. Furthermore, the use of a common non-sectarian language (such as English) should be encouraged. In addition, a culture of principle and policy, not ethnicity, politics must be encouraged. A firm independent judiciary with power to enforce its decisions must be developed. Finally, the state must be secular, in order to prevent discrimination from that direction.

For all of this to occur the legislative, constitutional, administrative and sociological change must occur. The burden lies on the average Sinhala voter (the majority) to elect a government that will ensure that all these goals are achieved. The perceptions of the Sinhala voter must be changed via education and exposure. Only when these goals are achieved and all ethnic groups feel they are equal citizens the "voice of strife" be dumb and only then will "we march to a mighty purpose", the betterment of all our citizens, united as on.

"The age of warrior kings and of warrior presidents has passed. The nuclear age calls for a different kind of leadership"¦.a leadership of intellect, judgment, tolerance and rationality, a leadership committed to human values, to world peace, and to the improvement of the human condition. The attributes upon which we must draw are the human attributes of compassion and common sense, of intellect and creative imagination, and of empathy and understanding between cultures." – William Fulbright

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something,
And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do,
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the Grace of God I will do."
— Edward Everett Hale (1822 -1909)

The reasons for the rise of LTTE in Sri Lanka « The Terror Journal

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Can someone please explain to me why Sri Lankans speak an Indo-Aryan language even though they are ethnically most related to South Indians?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The rise and fall of the LTTE

CHENNAI: Started in 1972 as the Tamil New Tigers' by a group of young boys headed by Velupillai Prabhakaran, and formally renamed Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam' on May 6, 1975, the outfit has been spearheading militancy for the last 37 years, occasionally pausing for peace talks but single-mindedly pursuing its goal of a separate state.

While the Tigers' prolonged armed struggle has failed to nudge the Sri Lankan state into accepting their demands or move the international community to make an effective intervention, there is little doubt that issues concerning the Tamil quest justice and an end to the ethnic conflict between the Sinhalese and the minorities have yet to be resolved.

The rise of the LTTE from a small bunch of boys into an organised guerrilla group that acquired great conventional military capability over the years is one half of the story. The other half is its transformation from a liberation group into what many countries described as a terrorist group with fascist tendencies. The latter half led to its decline and has now taken it perilously close to its decimation.

While none questioned Prabhakaran's commitment to Tamil Eelam', his politics of assassination and the impression that he wanted the international community to engage him on his own terms rather than any mutually acceptable framework ultimately proved to be his undoing. The loss of international support for his campaign was a key element in his decline and fall.

The factors that helped the LTTE grow were the safe havens provided by Tamil Nadu's coastal districts in the early 1980's, India's decision to train and arm militant groups, the LTTE's systematic decimation of rival groups, and the early recognition by both New Delhi and Colombo that Prabhakaran was the man to deal with whether for war or peace. Acquiring such pre-eminence, Prabhakaran built up his military apparatus like a conventional force having infantry, artillery and logistics units. He even supplemented the ground troops with a naval wing and in recent years managed to build an air wing comprising a few light aircraft.

It was the loss of its logistics vessels in a series of air attacks in the last two years, destruction of its gunboats and suicide craft in many encounters at sea, and the multi-pronged ground operations by several Sri Lankan military divisions marching in tandem across different axes that ultimately proved to be the LTTE's undoing.

The rise and fall of the LTTE - Times Of India

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
An article from CLAWS

Will the LTTE Rise Again?
N Manoharan
Senior Fellow, CLAWS, New Delhi

At the outset, the rise of the LTTE to their original might of running a proto-state comprising about 15,000 sq kms looks highly unrealistic. Its top leadership including its supremo Prabhakaran has been wiped out; most of its cadres are dead, some surrendered and the remaining scattered.

At the same time, rag-tag existence of the Tigers cannot be ruled out. According to the LTTE, about 1500 armed cadres are still hiding in Sri Lankan jungles to rekindle their armed struggle. They may make use of large quantities of arms buried in the jungles of northeast. They are also awaiting the resettlement of the displaced to mix-up with civilians. The LTTE is supposed to have set up a headquarters in an undisclosed location. It also claims to have put in place "sector-based working groups" and an "executive committee" to take the struggle forward "vigorously". The remnant LTTE keeps alive the objective of attaining a separate homeland for Tamils i.e. Eelam. However, it is unclear what it means by "take the struggle forward vigorously." Does this imply the use of armed means? Not long ago the LTTE declared that it had "silenced the guns" and would pursue its goals through non-violent means. Even in the recent statement, the Tigers, while reminding Tamils of their "historic duty" to rise up and fight for their "legitimate" rights, said, "like all liberation struggles, the LTTE had decided to 'modify' the form and strategies of the struggle according to the times and the exigencies of the situation." The LTTE, however, has not clarified the form of struggle.

Kumaran Pathmanathan, alias 'KP' has recently been appointed as the chief of the militant group. 'KP' was earlier the head of all-important and crucial International Relations wing of the LTTE. Pathmanathan's contribution in building the LTTE's might was immense in terms of arms procurement, lobbying and fund raising. Pathmanathan is supposed to lead the Sri Lankan Tamil community "into the next steps of our freedom struggle according to the vision of our esteemed Leader [Prabhakaran]." However, in the absence of a strong leadership on the island, it is doubtful whether the LTTE will be able to advance its goal through a reclusive leader who has just been arrested and deported.

It is true that Tamils are sick and tired of continuous conflict for over three decades. In this mindset it is doubtful whether they come forward to support another innings of militancy. Recognising this fact, the LTTE observed that "The Eelam Tamil people are in the midst of a critical and sorrowful period in the history of the struggle for freedom of our nation, Tamil Eelam. No one can deny the fact that we have experienced massive and irreparable losses, losses we would not accept even in our worst dreams." At the same time, the Tigers warned that "If the Sinhala nation and those countries which support it consider that the Tamil peoples' freedom struggle has been defeated through the capture of the historical homeland areas of the Tamil people and the massacre of thousands of Tamil civilians, we shall consider that an illusion." They want to "demonstrate to the world through our actions, that the fire of freedom awakened by our great leader V Pirabakaran continues to burn in the hearts of all Tamils, and only a free Tamil nation has the power to extinguish it."

A million-strong Sri Lankan Tamil diaspora spread across all over the world is a crucial factor for any revival of the LTTE. However, the diaspora is divided on core issues like the end goal of Eelam and the means to achieve it. The majority of diaspora does not prefer a separate state but dignity of Tamils. And a chunk of them also oppose revival of armed means. Reconciling these differences is not going to be an easy task given the fact that Tamils in Sri Lanka are also not united on the future course of action in realizing a political settlement to the ethnic issue.

The government of Sri Lanka has to take all these factors into consideration in its approach to the ethnic question. Apart from treating the displaced well, the government has to speed up the resettlement process and also make sure that livelihood of the resettled is taken care of. The lasting political settlement to the ethnic issue should meet the sentiments of Tamils apart from healing their prolonged suffering due to war and destruction. Dignified rehabilitation of all surrendered LTTE cadres will convert them to non-fighters once and for all.
Will the LTTE Rise Again? by N Manoharan

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
From ASIAN TRIBUNE

The Rise and Fall of the LTTE: An analytical observation

By Leel Pathirana

In the early 1990’s outspoken late Deputy Minister of Defense in Sri Lanka told in the parliament "Dying Tigers, Gave oxygen" by president Premadasa. During his tenure Sri Lankan security Forces launched heavy military operations against the LTTE and done heavy losses to the Tigers under the command of Ranjan Wijerathne. It was believed that strength of the Tiger cadres came down up to 4000-6000.

Then the President gave arms, ammunitions and money to the Tigers to chase the IPKF (Indian Peace Keeping Force) from the Sri Lankan soil. What happened was the vice versa, they used these arms against the Government and majority Singhalese. Also both Wijerathne and President Premadasa had to pay from their lives as well. So President Premadasa’s name highlighted in the history of Sri Lanka, the man who betrayed the Nation giving arms and money to the Terrorists.

The Rise of the LTTE

Then the Tigers became ever stronger during President Chandrika Kumarathunghe’s 11 years unsuccessful regime. The heaviest losses took place to the Sri Lankan security forces during her term in the office. In one night more than 600 hundred Naval personal were killed when Tigers attacked Nagasevanthurai and Poonaryn Naval Base. Then more than 1200 army personnel were killed when Mullaithievu army base came under attacked. Times to time more than 17 Aircrafts were gunned down by the Tigers SAM Missiles. Sri Lankan Navy lost most of it’s super Dovras and which are uncountable. 1995 Tigers attacked the Central Bank of Sri Lanka in Colombo and killed more than 300 innocents’ civilians. 1998 Tigers launched another attack in the World Heritage City Kandy, The most sacred places of all Sri Lankans The Temple of the Buddhist Tooth Relic. On July 2000, Colombo International Airport came under attack and within few hours they destroyed 13 Aircrafts including six Airbuses. The above summery is the major attacks only carried by the LTTE.

Implementation of the security situation in Sri Lanka was seen as a total failure during President Chandrika’s regime due to an appointment of unqualified figure for the position of Deputy Minister of Defense and he was the uncle of President Chandrika.

When purchasing arms during her regime, none of the dealings were transparent. Financial irregularities took place millions in every transaction. The arms and ammunitions were purchased either old or out of ordered and some parts had to be re imported spending another millions. For instance, Military helicopters purchased from Ukraine had to be grounded at Ratmalana military airport base since those had to be repaired.

Then emerged the most crucial part of Sri Lanka’s politics. Mr.Ranil Wickramasinghe came to power promising that he will give “Chewing Gum and Gold Bracelets to the youths of thje country.” This was the appropriate time to the Norwegian facilitators to formulate a document the famous Ceasefire Agreement (CFA) which bolstered the legality to the ‘Terrorist Organization.’ CFA gave a legality, diplomacy and international recognition to the terrorist outfit. Also not only the legality under the CFA, but also Government had acquiesced on conditions that LTTE is holding separate territories. CFA was an illegal document prepared by the Norwegians for the favor of the Tigers and was signed by the UNF (United National Front) Government against the will of the citizens of Sri Lanka. Neither a referendum was called nor it was produced before the parliament for the approval. This came under heavy criticism during the election campaign by President Mahinda Rajapaksa, but it came to zero value once he assumed the duties in the office.

During the CFA, building military bases was the main objective of the LTTE. A sole example was the Sampoor. It became the stronghold of the LTTE and their Eastern command having positioned 122-133mm Artillery Guns and 81mm Mortar positions aiming the Trincomalee Harbor and it’s Naval Base. Despite these facts, then the UNF government spokesman Mr.G.L.Peiris continuously denied the existence of Sampoor. LTTE built several camps before the vicinity of the Sri Lankan Monitoring Mission (SLMM).

The fall of the LTTE

What became the biggest blow to the LTTE after it was founded, the break away of their Eastern Command Vinayagamoorthi Muralidaran alias ‘Karuna Amman’ with all of his Cadres. This became one third of their strength. They started launching attacks against their former leader. Kruna faction’s prime target was Kowshalyan, Head of the Political wing of the Batticaloa-Amparai districts. He was later assassinated.

Tsunami became another catastrophe to the Tigers Sea Wing and did heavy damages to their vessels, arsenals and cadres. The number of the deaths of their cadres was not known to the public.

Internal struggle between the Political Wing and the Military wing commanders are another dispute.

Assassination of the Foreign Minister of Sri Lanka, world-renowned diplomat, Mr.Lakshman Kadiragamar was another barbaric act and this was condemned by the international community. This came intensify ban on the LTTE by the European Union.

The recent nab by the FBI, while Tigers trying to purchase SAM Missiles and 500 pieces of Kalashnikovs (AK47) were also failed. It is now evident that they do not have missile capability or it is extremely very limited. Much of their missiles then, purchased through Mujahidin guerillas in Afghanistan.

Freezing of TRO (Tamil Rehabilitation Organization) accounts was also has much affected the LTTE financially.

Recent attack by the SLAF & SLN to the ship carrying military hardware in the Eastern waters was another major loss. It was believed to be sailing from a port in Indonesia. Far- East destinations were always suitable places for the Tigers to smuggle arms since various terrorist groups are operating in the Far East and South Asia. For instance Al Queda cells in Bali Indonesia, Abu Sayaaf in the Philippines, Khmer Rouge in Cambodia and also military junta in Myanmar, now in Thailand etc…. also another aspect is the wealthy Tamil businessman’s in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. They are always their sympathizers.

Most important factor is there guerilla army. LTTE new recruitments of their cadres are given preliminary training and were not fit to be in the Front Line. They were not well trained how a guerilla army could face with the conventional warfare - air, sea and ground.

The capture of the Sampoor was something that they never expected. This was the biggest achievement of the Sri Lankan security forces during the recent history after the CFA was signed.

The success of the recent military operations and its characteristics can be summarized as follows.

1.All the military operations did not become Politicized

2. Strategically well planned and laid out by all three forces, Air, Sea and Ground with accurate timings.

3. Proper monitoring of the enemy and movements

4. Vigilance of the public and cooperation

5. Public support for the forces in the South organized by certain political parties, artists, visiting injured solders by Buddhist monks etc…

Falling in to the Trap

When look back the history of the LTTE, several Governments have had many round of talks since 1983 Thimpu in Bhuthan to 2006 Château de Bosse in Switzerland. None of the parities could come to a compromise. Whereas both side gained heavy losses. Peace talks or cease-fire agreements were used by the Tigers as an ‘interim period’ to regroup and prepare for launch of future major attacks. Whenever they are weakened they come for the negotiation table. Almost all the successive governments had fallen in to this trap either intentionally or due to the lack of knowledge of the issue or to comply with the international community and the Co-Chairs in order to obtain financial supports and aids.

Whatever said the LTTE’s resilience were always amazing in the past, therefore government has to move cautiously with measured steps to wipe out the LTTE terrorist menace from this country.

Leel Pathirana writer of this article is an Ex-Jailed Activist of the JVP Insurgency in Sri Lanka during 1988/89

The Rise and Fall of the LTTE: An analytical observation | Asian Tribune

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
From SRI LANKA GUARDIAN

By: Dr.Rajasingham Narendran

(February 07, London, Sri Lanka Guardian) Sri Lankan armed forces have almost ended the capacity of the LTTE (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam) to engage in conventional war in the near future. They may also succeed in severely curtailing attempts by the LTTE to resort to sabotage, terrorism and socio-economic disruptions, subsequently. They have also recovered almost the entirety of the territory once held by the LTTE. These achievements, contrary to the expectations of many, have not only attracted the attention of the world, but also its implicit support. However, the plight of the 250,000 Tamil civilians, believed held by the LTTE in the jungles of Mullaitivu is weighing heavy on the world's conscience. How the Sri Lankan government and armed forces will deal with the issue of these civilians, is being scrutinized closely by a concerned world and the Tamil-speaking people at large.

The LTTE which took pride in comparing the heroism of its cadres with those portrayed in the verses in Purananuru (Sangam Tamil Literature), has chosen to ignore that these wars of yore were fought in accordance with the prevailing rules of war, away from locations where women, children, the aged and livestock were not exposed to the accompanying brutality and fallout. The LTTE claim these civilians are staying in the vortex of war of their own accord and have sought its protection does not hold water.

Only those closely associated with the LTTE or have benefited from being aligned with it would have reasons to do so. The LTTE tactic to forestall the advance of the armed forces, cynically and unconscionably using the trapped civilians and the impending humanitarian disaster as tools, has backfired in the face of the determination of the government to proceed regardless of humanitarian consequences.

To have expected humanitarian considerations for Tamil civilians will thwart the government push for victory, was a serious miscalculation- probably the last, by the LTTE. Sri Lankan governments were not bothered by humanitarian considerations with regard to even Sinhala civilians and Buddhist monks in their mission to crush the JVP insurrections! I have been told by senior police officers of that period how brutal and inhuman the counter - insurgency operations were. The Sri Lankan government cannot be accused of discrimination against Tamils in this instance!

The days of the LTTE are over. It will be history soon, much to the lament of many Tamils who had hoped for deliverance through it. It is time to give the whole thought process that resulted in the birth of the LTTE and sustained it through the years a decent burial. All Tamils have to shed tears at the impending demise of the LTTE, because it had offered at one stage the best hope for the Tamils in Sri Lanka. At the same time, the Tamils have to also heave a sigh of relief that what had evolved into a 'Monster' with time is being exorcized from their lives.

The LTTE should also realize its days are numbered and it is of no use to the Tamils any longer. It should not prolong the agony of the Tamils any more. A historical moment has passed. The bus has been missed. Tamils have to seek a new path to recover their place and rights in Sri Lanka and bring forth a new leadership to take them on this path. The Tamil paramilitary groups and remnants of parties like the TULF (Tamil United Liberation Front) and TNA (Tamil National Alliance) should not be permitted to fill the space vacated by the LTTE. New blood, new ideas and a new style of politics should become the order of the day for Tamils.

Eloquence, rhetoric and violence, should be replaced by a clear vision, definable objectives, well thought out plans and programs to achieve these. We have to have the right to be both Tamils and Sri Lankans. The north and east should be the Tamil cultural heartlands, while yet being integrated with the rest of Sri Lanka. Tamils should welcome any one who wants to live amongst them in the north and east, while also demanding their right to live anywhere they want in Sri Lanka with security and dignity. This should be made unequivocally clear to the Sinhala polity.

The LTTE can redeem itself from a harsher judgment of history by letting the civilians it holds hostage go and declaring an end to hostilities. Junior cadres should be permitted to surrender. Prabaharan and the senior cadres have to make their choices, considering the Indian and Sri Lankan governments will demand their pound of flesh.

I personally hope magnanimity, graciousness and forgiveness – characteristics of our religio-cultural heritage-will prevail among those who consider themselves the 'Victors'. The 'Victors', have also much to answer for. The LTTE is a creature they fathered and helped nurture at various times. To paraphrase Christ, "Let those who have not sinned throw the first stone". Those who fought on behalf of the LTTE through conviction or coercion deserve our respect and compassion. They were victims of circumstances, beyond their control. Those who have sacrificed their lives fighting for the LTTE should also command our respect, as much as the personnel of the Sri Lankan armed forces who sacrificed the lives in the battle fields.

The LTTE cadres fought and died for a cause, as much as the men and women in the police and armed forces who have died for a cause they were called upon to fight. Tamils should be also made to feel the victors, as they have sacrificed the most in their quest for human dignity. The ability of the Sinhala polity to respond to this need, will decide the fate of Sri Lanka in the long term.

Tamils were an unwanted people in Sri Lanka and a people under siege, despite having been in the Island for thousands of years, when the LTTE was born. The freedom and rights, independence from colonial rule should have guaranteed were denied to the Tamils. Benign British colonial rule was replaced by a pernicious Sinhala colonial rule. Tamils were forced to pay the price for what the Sinhala polity perceived as colonial discrimination against them as a people. The Tamils were hapless victims of colonial rule, as much as the Sinhalese were. Tamils were forced to feel alien in their own land by their fellow citizens, in the name of ameliorating Sinhala sectarian grievances.

Tamils were a people insulted, brutalized and marginalized at every turn. Their survival was at the mercy of the Sinhala majority. There were organized riots staged at regular intervals against them, in which the Sinhala politicians, mobs, police, armed forces and the government played significant roles. Tamils, who were resident outside the north and east, many for long years, were the victims of these riots. They were killed, maimed, injured and insulted; property burnt and looted; forced to live in refugee camps on hand outs; and shipped like cattle back to the north and east by sea and road. They were forced to understand they had no place not only in the Sinhala heartland but also in the Island as a whole. They were insulted at every turn during the so-called periods of normalcy. The mispronunciation of the Sinhala word for bucket- Bhaldiya, led to serious injury and death to many (Tamils have difficulty pronouncing the 'Bha' sound). Trains bound for the north and east were attacked regularly and Tamil passengers assaulted and maimed. The state had deliberately abdicated its responsibility to ensure security to a section of its citizens!

Employment in the government services previously available to Tamils dried up overnight. Tamils, who were already in the government services, were denied promotions and when in senior positions rendered ineffective by the insubordination of their Sinhala juniors.

The rigorous implementation of the Sinhala –only policy, rendered Tamils functionally illiterate. Higher educational opportunities were also denied to the qualified overnight, because they were Tamils. The lands, Tamils and Tamil-speaking Muslims had lived on for centuries were being colonized with Sinhalese by the government. This was perceived as an attempt to change demographics in the context of what was happening to Tamils elsewhere in the country.

Tamil citizens of Indian origin were stripped of their franchise and rendered stateless. Constitutions were changed without the consent of the minorities and provisions in the Soulbury Constitution, protecting minorities, were unilaterally removed. Tamil demands for self-governance and power sharing were ignored and ridiculed. There were no investments in infrastructure and industry in the north and east.

Temples where they worshipped were being vandalized or destroyed. Even Lord Ganesh was sent for a sea bath in Trincomalee ('Gana deviyo naanda giya')! The Jaffna library was burnt by the police under the direction of cabinet ministers. The brutality the armed forces and police unleashed on the north and east to suppress the nascent rebellion added spice to a simmering brew. The state in these instances was denying a section of its citizens the rights to equal citizenship and opportunities. The LTTE, among many other Tamil militant groups emerged from this 'Witches brew' and wreaked their own brand of violence on the national as a whole, including the Tamils.

The Federal Party (FP) and it successor, the Tamil United Liberation Front (TULF ) played a major role in touting separation and an independent Tamil Ealam, as a solution to the problems Tamil faced in Sri Lanka. The eloquence and fiery rhetoric of the Tamil politicians of the day, given the prevailing circumstances in the country, whipped up nationalism among the Tamils to a high pitch and set Tamil youth on the path of militancy.

The Tamil politicians of the day had neither a burning desire for an independent Tamil Ealam nor the will to fight for it. They had no plans on how to achieve it. They thought it was a demand that would jolt the Sinhala polity to lend an ear to their grievances. They also did not have an alternative path for the Tamils. They were bankrupt of ideas and had become effete. The Sinhala polity was set on an irreversible course and was in no mood to pay attention to Tamil grievances or act with foresight. The Sinhala leadership had formulated a vision for a monolithic Sinhala-Buddhist state and the mission to achieve this had been passionately embraced by all Sinhala parties, including those with Marxist leanings.

Tamil politicians, who had instigated the youth to embark on a path of militancy, soon lost control of the Genie they had thoughtlessly let loose. They had set alight a fire, they could not douse. They were subsequently taken on a rocky ride by the 'Tigers' (LTTE) and finally devoured.

The Sinhala polity having underestimated the strength of passions among Tamil youth had to ultimately grapple with the Tigers at great cost to the nation. The three decade long Tiger ride has hurt the Tamils more than the Sinhala polity and left Tamils in a worse situation than they were when it all began. Tamils have been brought to their knees by the militancy they had hoped would help restore their due rights in Sri Lanka. Tamils have become a people to be pitied by the combined efforts of the Sri Lankan state and the LTTE.

The LTTE should be remembered for many things. Its organizational abilities, innovativeness, resource mobilization skills, battle tactics, bravery and propaganda prowess will be part of legends and history for thousands of years. The LTTE was able to garner the enthusiastic and overwhelming support of most Tamils within a short time of its emergence. It had come to embody their aspirations for respect as a people and resistance to Sinhala misrule.

Tamils gave the LTTE their unreserved trust. However, its brutality, resort to meaningless violence and terrorism, lack of moral scruples, inflexibility, deviousness, disrespect for the people it claimed to lead and inability to adapt to changing circumstances will also be equally remembered.

The LTTE squandered the trust placed in it by the Tamils shamelessly and stupidly. It had also become the haven for the scum in Tamil society, both locally and internationally, much to the chagrin of many Tamils. It failed to represent the Tamil ethos and tried to force the people to fit an ethos that was quite alien to them. While its considerable and unexpected skills and abilities contributed to its remarkable growth and success in the battle fields, the flaws have been debilitating and contributed to its downfall.

The LTTE stands defeated today not only because of the efforts of the Rajapakse government and its armed forces, but also because it miserably failed the Tamils. Its failure to work in the best interest of the Tamils and determination to pursue its self-interest at the expense of the Tamils, have alienated a large section of the Tamils and the world at large. Sri Lanka has to learn much from not only the rise and fall of the LTTE, but also from the various skills and tactics-both brilliant and stupid, it brought to play during its existence.

Prabakaran was definitely a man of much promise, with abilities rarely seen. His background and the ingrained values of the society around him were intrinsically incapable of producing such a man. The adverse circumstances however triggered something lying dormant in Tamil genes and gave birth to a man like him and the thousands who followed him.

It is unfortunate he lost his way, to end up where he, the organization he leads and the Tamils are now. The gifts rarely bestowed on a single human, have been overwhelmed by the serious flaws that accompanied them.

There will be many an analysis on Prabaharan in years to come and we may partially understand what made this rare personality tick and then self-destruct. I attribute his failures to a lack of education, guiding moral philosophy, political acumen and wisdom. While steadfastness was a virtue in Prabaharan, stubbornness was a fatal flaw. Over-reliance on militarism by Prabaharan exposed the LTTE to its eventual downfall at the hands of a government determined overwhelm it with superior military force, regardless of the cost in terms material and lives. Prabaharan and the LTTE were also set unfortunately and unnecessarily on a course to make more enemies and turn even friends into enemies.

There was a sense of mission and stoic determination all too visible in the LTTE, but a clear vision as to what was to be the ultimate goal was never formulated nor enunciated. Tamil Ealam was an ill-defined concept, except in terms of a nation free of Sinhala hegemony. It thus became much misunderstood, abused and misused. There was no definition of what it would stand for.

The unsavoury behaviour of the LTTE and many associated with it, however pointed to Tamil Eelam becoming a fascist state under the jackboot of the LTTE. Large swathes of Tamils exposed to the ways of the LTTE were stripped of their illusions and forced to face the stark reality of the 'Monster' the LTTE had become. The Tamil proverb 'Sirru Pillai Verlanmai, Veedu Vanthu Seraathu (efforts of small children at agriculture, will not bring a harvest home)' has been proven true. Although the 'Boys' who spearheaded the initial Tamil militancy, became 'Ageing men' with time, they failed to bring the expected harvest home!

The greatest failures of the LTTE were in not grasping the several opportunities that came its way, such as the Indian intervention in 1987 and the Norwegian involvement in 2002, backed by influential international players. It failed to realize the time had come to change tact and build on battlefield gains and the apparent readiness of the Sri Lankan state to negotiate. This failure to mobilize the 'External factors' that had come into play to further the Tamil cause was accompanied by the equally fatal failure to carry a majority of the Tamils and the sympathetic elements in the Sinhala polity (the internal factors) with it, by its brutal, cruel, deceptive and arrogant behaviour.

The disenchantment of the international community with the LTTE was reinforced by influential sections within the Tamils voicing their concerns about the 'Monster' the LTTE had become. The cruel and unnecessary murder of Rajiv Gandhi in India and similar meaningless murders carried out within Sri Lanka relegated the LTTE to the club of terrorists and debased the Tamil struggle for liberation. The other major failure of the LTTE was that with time it had become deaf to the desperate cry for peace among Tamils living in the north and east. The Sri Lankan government has successfully exploited these chinks in the LTTE armour to carry out very successful military missions against it.

The LTTE had come, done what it did and now almost gone. However, the problems that gave birth to the LTTE, sustained its growth over the years and yet may provide the space for its re-emergence, remain unresolved. Whether the Sinhalese, Tamils, Muslims and the Sri Lankan government have learned their lessons from this rather long episode in our short history as a modern nation, remains to be seen. May God forgive all our sins and bless us with the intelligence, wisdom and foresight to deal with a future portending many opportunities and pitfalls!

Sri Lanka Guardian: Rise and Fall of the LTTE - An Overview

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
From SRI LANKA WATCH

The rise of the L.T.T.E.

In early 1985, the P.L.O.T.E., L.T.T.E. and T.E.L.O. were considered fairly evenly balanced. At the time when 7 L.T.T.E. men were killed in a quarrel with the P.L.O.T.E. at Chullipuram, the L.T.T.E. preferred discretion to valour. When quarrels developed between the L.T.T.E. and the T.E.L.O., neither seldom did anything more than go out on motor bikes and take pot shots at "sentry boys" in the rival group. These sentry boys, who were youngsters with no military training and in their early teens, were usually deployed with hand grenades to throw and run if the alarm had to be raised. In reprisal for the killing by the Sri Lankan forces of 70 civilians in Valvettithurai and the damage to the homes of Prabhakaran and several other L.T.T.E. leaders, the L.T.T.E. on 14 May 1985 conducted what came to be known as the Anuradhapura massacre. A few L.T.T.E. men drove into Anuradhapura and gunned down about 150 persons with ruthless efficiency and got away. In the ancient Sinhalese capital, the government forces were caught off guard. This gave the L.T.T.E. the reputation of being an efficient "killer machine," that was to be both feared and respected. The many who approved of the Anuradhapura massacre little realised that such readiness to play around with lives of Sinhalese would result in making Tamil lives more insecure.

However, around January 1986, it was a general belief among Tamils that no single group could proceed alone against the might of the Sri Lankan army. Attempts by the Sri Lankan Army in early 1986 on an L.T.T.E. camp at Suthumalai and a subsequent thrust into Tellipallai, were repulsed by all the groups acting together, including the T.E.A.. The T.E.L.O. provided critical help in saving the day when troops landed by helicopter and attacked the L.T.T.E.'s camp at Suthumalai. This was publicly acknowledged by the L.T.T.E.. It had been rumoured for some time that the "Das faction" of the T.E.L.O. in Vadamaratchi had some differences with the leader Sri Sabaratnam. Das was an able military man -- and this faction was said to form the military backbone of the T.E.L.O.. The L.T.T.E.'s opportunity came when in April 1986 the Bobby faction of the T.E.L.O. treacherously shot dead Das and 4 of his colleagues. They were shot dead while visiting a colleague in the Jaffna Hospital. This resulted in the Das faction leaving the T.E.L.O. and going into exile, considerably weakening the T.E.L.O.. Towards the end of the month the T.E.L.O. moved several of its men outside Jaffna, ostensibly for operations against the Sri Lankan army. At the same time the L.T.T.E. moved many of its men into Jaffna and the word was put out that it was going to attack one of the Sri Lankan encampments. A crucial advantage possessed by the L.T.T.E. was a modern communications system with wireless sets. The L.T.T.E. took on the T.E.L.O. at the end of that month. The pretext was a minor tiff arising from both groups calling a hartal for the men they had lost at sea, about the same time. After one week of fighting the L.T.T.E. was supreme in Jaffna. The T.E.L.O. leader Sri Sabaratnam was killed on 7 May. The methods used by the L.T.T.E. were reminiscent of the shock tactics used against Sinhalese -- during the Anuradhapura massacre. In a way the Anuradhapura massacre had come home and the ghosts of the dead were to haunt us for years to come.

The manner in which the T.E.L.O. members were killed, shocked Tamil people everywhere. Many died without knowing what hit them. Twelve were killed near Manipay while they were asleep. Several were caught unawares, shot and burnt at junctions at Thirunelvely, Mallakam, and Tellipallai. Eight persons were killed at the camp behind the St. John's principal's bungalow. One person was thrust into a car, which was then exploded, leaving severed limbs strewn around. On hearing this the St. John's College principal, Mr. Gunaseelan, who was in hospital, had a relapse which forced him into an early retirement. Many of the T.E.L.O. members who were from areas outside Jaffna had to flee in fear without knowing the streets or where they were going. The people were so terrified, that few found the courage to give shelter to the fugitives. While this unprecedented display was on, people stood mutely at junctions and watched, as persons hardly dead, were doused and burnt. Hardly anyone protested, which is understandable. Some went home saying things such as: "We have produced our own Hitlers." Others gave a display of that opportunism that had become a characteristic feature of Jaffna. Some shop keepers offered aerated waters to those who had exhausted themselves putting on the show. Some students at the University attempted to take out a procession to stop the fighting but had to abandon it. The fighting was over in less than a week and Sri Sabaratnam was killed in circumstances which are not clear. Most sources agree that he was wounded in the shoot out, while his two companions escaped. Sri Sabaratnam then stood up and requested an opportunity to talk to Kittu, the Jaffna L.T.T.E. leader. He was then gunned down. Whether he was killed personally by Kittu and whether the order to kill him came from Prabhakaran himself, or from Kittu, are matters on which the various reports disagree. All this time the Sri Lankan army had remained quiet except for a bit of helicopter firing here and there. Outsiders saw the L.T.T.E.-T.E.L.O. clash as fatally weakening the militant cause. Kautiliya, a columnist for the Sunday Island asked satirically whether the L.T.T.E. had taken a sub-contract with the Ministry for National Security to take on the T.E.L.O..

Subsequently the L.T.T.E. launched a propaganda campaign where two reasons were given for its action: 1.The T.E.L.O. were a group of criminals who had harassed the people and had robbed them. and 2. The T.E.L.O. was acting as the agent of Indian imperialism.

To substantiate these accusations, the L.T.T.E. announced that all recovered stolen items, jewellery, electrical goods and cars were being returned. In fact several cars taken over and used by the T.E.L.O. and allegedly stolen television sets and video-recorders were put on display near Windsor Theatre and were claimed by members of the public. But little or no jewellery was returned. However the jewellery robbed from Thurkai Amman Kovil [2] 1 at Tellipallai mysteriously reappeared and the wrath of the god was averted. Most people came to terms with what had happened and thought it was good. The first reason given by the L.T.T.E. had a strong influence in Jaffna town. The E.P.R.L.F. too returned several television sets and vehicles saying they were no longer needed. Several people who wanted the E.P.R.L.F. to keep these things found themselves left with no choice but to accept them. Amongst the E.N.L.F. partners only the E.P.R.L.F. found the courage to organise a protest rally for the killing of Sri Sabaratnam and the betrayal of the alliance. The E.R.O.S. remained quiet and began to be patted on the back by the L.T.T.E. as a good organisation, suitable for those who were not good enough for the L.T.T.E.. The press and the Church too came to terms with the new dispensation. The Roman Catholic Church under Bishop Deogupillai, who had been an outspoken critic of Sri Lankan army action did not use its strong base and its moral authority to protest against the fatal trend of cowardice and moral torpor within the Tamil community. The Morning Star, the journal of the Jaffna Diocese of the Church of South India (C.S.I.) commented editorially in a piece under the title, The Merry Month of May, that it had been held that the militant cause had been weakened by what had happened. It went on to allude that this was not necessarily the case as was proved by the militants' success in repulsing the subsequent Sri Lankan offensive. Moreover it said that the people had stood shoulder to shoulder with the militants during the subsequent bombing of Jaffna. The Jaffna man was a very wise man who made a virtue of following the path of least resistance. That the path had to change direction frequently was of no consequence.

Claims have been made by the apologists for the action against the T.E.L.O. that India had ordered the T.E.L.O. to destroy the L.T.T.E., thus giving the L.T.T.E. no choice. The reason given for such an order, it is said, is that the L.T.T.E. refused to toe India's line. Even assuming that India had expressed such a wish, whether the T.E.L.O. took it seriously is another matter. Granting a certain amount of cockiness on the T.E.L.O.'s part, it is hard for an observer then in Jaffna to believe that they had seriously entertained such an ambition for the near future. They were disorganised and divided as well as lacking in a communication network. Looking at the circumstances and Sri Sabaratnam's remarks at Kalviankadu, it does not appear that the T.E.L.O. was looking for a clash. It has also been mentioned that the T.E.L.O. had at that time moved a large number of trained men out of Jaffna while the L.T.T.E. did the opposite amidst rumours that they were to take on a Sri Lankan army encampment.

A significant circumstance was a serious division within the T.E.L.O. made worse a month earlier by killing by the Bobby faction of 5 leading members of the Das faction. A similar circumstance minus the assassinations was to precede the L.T.T.E.'s taking on the E.P.R.L.F., 7 months later - namely, the split arising from differences between Padmanabha, the E.P.R.L.F.'s political leader and Douglas Devananda, the leader of its military wing.

A short time after the L.T.T.E.-T.E.L.O. incident, an E.P.R.L.F. leader told a leading citizen that his leadership had asked the L.T.T.E. leadership what they really wanted and to state the terms on which they could work together. He further added that no reply had been forthcoming.

On the question of India, most Tamils had unreal expectations of altruism on India's part, while they revelled in thinking how smart they were in using India to get Eelam. They knew the nature of Indian politics and thought they could manipulate it for their ends. The two aspects of altruism and baseness that governed the Tamil man's perception of India corresponded to the sentimental and the real. Equally, talk of any militant group being independent of India was meaningless after the initial surrender in exchange for arms, training, base facilities and recognition. This would be sharpened later after September 1987 by the L.T.T.E.'s successive contradictory positions involving considerable amnesia. The real sufferers would be the Tamil people. The thought that India could have interests, legitimate as big power politics goes, weighed little on people's minds.

Following the L.T.T.E.-T.E.L.O. clash, the L.T.T.E. understood the feelings of ordinary people. Loudspeaker vehicles went about telling people not to talk about or analyse what had happened. This was the first publicly announced act of censorship. Previously the L.T.T.E. and the T.E.L.O. especially had visited newspapers to tell them not to write about certain incidents.

About 20 May, 1986, the Sri Lankan government launched a limited offensive to test the strength of the militant movement after the excision of the T.E.L.O.. The column that advanced from Elephant Pass turned back at Pallai. One group broke out of the Jaffna Fort and established a beach-head at Mandaitivu, providing a safe means of supplying troops at Jaffna Fort, for, helicopters landing inside the fort were subject to fire from nearby. The Sri Lankan army also succeeded in widening the perimeters of its camps at Thondamanaru and Valvettithurai. Until May the question amongst civilians was, when would the militants make an attempt on one of the army camps. The question now was when would the Sri Lankan army make an all out attempt to recapture Jaffna. It was well understood that the L.T.T.E. would make a formidable foe.

An aspect of L.T.T.E. dominance that made it acceptable to the general public was that robberies virtually ceased. The poor and the middle classes were left alone. The L.T.T.E. made mutually beneficial arrangements with wholesale merchants and big businessmen to the satisfaction of the latter. They could now enjoy their profits without the nuisance of being occasionally kidnapped for ransom. Before May 1986, if a man allegedly committed a fraud, the first militant group to discover it would descend on him, most likely in the night, to carry out an investigation. Occasionally, the victim would be lamp-posted (shot after being tied to an lamp post), or would be let off after negotiating an appropriate fee. After May 1986, several goods, aerated waters and cigarettes went up in price. In the best of times petrol sold at Rs. 19 per litre as against Rs. 13.50 per litre south of Vavuniya. Huge profits were made by dealers. Transport bottlenecks in a way proved a blessing to many peasants and labourers who were thrown out of work by the war. Many turned to transporting petrol to Jaffna on a small scale by bicycles and selling it by the bottle on the roadside. In this at least, the Sinhalese and Tamils on the border of the Northern province co-operated for their mutual prosperity. Another example of how the Jaffna economy worked was given by a head teacher from Chavakachcheri. Soon after the commencement of Operation Liberation on 26 May 1987, refugees from Vadamaratchi flooded into Thenmaratchi and the demand for rice was great. The normal price of a bag was Rs. 230/. A mill owner who had a very large quantity of rice paid Rs. 50,000 tax money and sold his stock at the rate of Rs. 400 per bag, making an astronomical profit.

It was now expected that the L.T.T.E. would soon make a bid for sole dominance. Only the E.P.R.L.F. (Eelam Peoples' Revolutionary Liberation Front) seemed to be in a mood to challenge the L.T.T.E.. The E.R.O.S. (Eelam Revolutionary Organisation of Students) and the T.E.A. accepted L.T.T.E.'s dominance. The E.R.O.S. was a much smaller group which one time acquired for itself in the popular mind a reputation for intelligence and discipline. But its allegiance to Marxism was more doubtful, together with its concern for Sinhalese civilians. The talk of some of its leadership and its ranks gave the impression that it appealed to gut feelings of narrow nationalism. Its killing of Mr. Kathiramalai, a Sarvodaya worker, left strong doubts about its commitment to fairplay.

The middle of 1986 saw a series of sensational bombings carried out in the South. The main incidents were the explosion which destroyed an Airlanka Tristar passenger airliner which was being loaded for take-off at the Katunayake airport; the explosion in the C.T.O. (Central Telecommunications Office) building in the heart of Colombo Fort; the explosion at the Elephant House aerated water factory; and the explosion at the Ceylon Petroleum Corporation (C.P.C.) depot at Anuradhapura. The civilian dead numbered several tens. Like the Anuradhapura massacre it was an adoption by the oppressed of the methods of the oppressor, and hence also the disease of the oppressor. The explosion at the C.P.C. depot at Anuradhapura also represented a move away from impersonal terror. An explosive charge was placed inside a petrol bowser from the Puloly Multipurpose Cooperative Stores (M.P.C.S.) that had gone to collect fuel from Anuradhapura. Several bowsers from Jaffna were in the petrol queue. It was reported that two persons who went in the bowser were amongst those killed. It was widely claimed in the international media that the parties responsible for these bombings were connected with the L.T.T.E., or the E.R.O.S. or both. The T.E.A. was also mentioned because of its association with the bomb meant for the Airlanka flight, which exploded instead at the Madras, Meenambakam airport in 1984.

No group claimed responsibility for these attacks. But according to Tamil sources living abroad, responsibility was claimed privately by senior persons in a militant group that ostensibly valued above all, intelligence, research and scholarship. There were also explosions in public transport buses carrying mainly Sinhalese passengers near Vavuniya. Two of the victims were an elderly Sinhalese gentleman and his son, who had been unswerving in their hospitality towards Tamil public transport workers.

Besides blurring in the minds abroad of the distinction between terror by the Sri Lankan state and that by Tamil militant groups, another consequence of this incident was to make petroleum fuels, aerated waters and gas more expensive and scarce in Jaffna.

It has been said by many that such acts against the Sinhalese population made the Sinhalese think seriously about the Tamil problem. It did make them think, but only in a perverse sort of way. One could see, for instance in editorials, the pressure mounting for peace talks when terror is seen as being too close for comfort. Equally, there was pressure for a final military thrust, during transient spells of seeming military successes, such as during Operation Liberation. This made the whole affair a destructive game involving extensive media manipulation in the absence of any change of heart and any democratic resurgence.

For the time being, life in Jaffna was relatively peaceful, barring occasional shelling by the Sri Lankan army. The L.T.T.E. concentrated on bringing all key institutions under its control. The Citizens' Committees caused no problems. Except at the University, this operation needed neither force nor intimidation. The L.T.T.E. was subtle and discerning in this matter. In the hospitals and in the administration, doctors and officials were left with enough discretion to protect their self respect. Dissent from individuals was tolerated provided this was not articulated through mass movements or other militant groups. An attempt at an L.T.T.E. sponsored Journalists' Union through some journalists who had come over to its side foundered, because the majority of the journalists found it too hard to swallow. The pretext given by the L.T.T.E. for summoning a meeting of journalists was that it was concerned that journalists in Jaffna were not being paid the salaries stipulated by the government in a gazette notification. The editor of the Uthayan, together with others, spoke to the effect: "The question of salaries is a matter for the journalists themselves, and not for a militant organisation. No one is going to control what we think or write." These brave words however, were not reflected in practice. Everyone knew that he would be a brave man to go beyond certain limits. The Eelanadu management dismissed a journalist, whose presence it apparently thought was embarrassing under the new dispensation. (This journalist, Mr. Shanmugalingam, has not been seen after being abducted by the L.T.T.E. on 6 November, 1989.) The L.T.T.E. went ahead with organising rural courts, vigilante committees and bodies such as cultural and development committees. The L.T.T.E. was privately cynical and disrespectful of persons who served on these bodies. A top L.T.T.E. leader once asked an old friend and senior journalist: "Those who were with us in the days when the going was dangerous and we were hounded by the Sri Lankan forces now refuse to touch us with a broomstick. But those who are joining us in large numbers now are persons whom we would have once classed as anti-social elements. Why is this?" The friend replied: "You should have no difficulty in finding out yourself."

The population of Jaffna fell in line. People who had once shown the spirit to resist the oppression of the Sri Lankan state now enjoyed the peace of the animals in George Orwell's Animal Farm. People would now get about unconcerned if a neighbour mysteriously taken away then disappeared. Some who were not prepared to do this were students of the University of Jaffna. In the circumstances they acted bravely during the Vijitharan and Rajaharan affairs. It is a comforting thought that the idealism of youth cannot be quelled.

The two incidents took place in quick succession around early November 1986 and gave rise to what became the last mass protest in Jaffna against the violation of basic freedoms. It did not, like the mass protests against the Prevention of Terrorism Act in the early 1980's, exude a sense of buoyancy and forward movement. This was more a rearguard action. When it ended, many of its leaders had to go into hiding or seek exile. Many of the leaders and hundreds of ordinary women from the lower reaches of society had displayed rare courage in doing something that was both essential and at the same time was shirked by their so called betters. The two incidents concerned had independent origins.

Arunagirinathan Vijitharan was a third year commerce student from the University of Jaffna who was generally unknown until he was missing from his boarding house on 4 November 1986. The question was, why Vijitharan? He was by all accounts an ordinary fun loving student with no political affiliations. It was this aspect of it that left some doubts about the cause. Had he said something mildly offensive to a person of some importance as students are wont to do? One may never know.

An action committee was formed by the students. They did not accuse anyone. They simply maintained that the four functioning militant groups were responsible for the security of persons in Jaffna. Further, they had sentries everywhere, making it unlikely that persons could disappear without their knowledge. The militant groups were called upon to do their acknowledged duty and restore Vijitharan. Privately, the students admitted that they were afraid and were in no mood to confront any militant group. A senior University official who was talking to the militant groups on the matter, expressed the feeling that the students had acted too hastily in making the matter public. On the other hand, the students felt that if they kept quiet, the chances of students disappearing one by one was greater. Not having received a satisfying response, the students commenced a campaign of fasting on 19 November in which six persons, both boys and girls began a fast in a temporary cadjan shed in front of the administration block.

For the next ten days the University became the centre of attraction for all those who had been suppressing their feelings about what was going on. An important group of people who joined the students were residents, especially women, from Passaiyoor. That had to do with a separate incident, concerning the death of Edward.

Passaiyoor is a fishing village three miles East along the coast from Jaffna town. These people were Roman Catholics and were by nature spontaneous in their collective response to perceived aggression against them. Edward had returned from Saudi Arabia and the family was said to be sympathetic towards the L.T.T.E.. They had consulted the parish priest on the matter of a land dispute with a neighbour, and not being satisfied, had invited Malaravan, the Ariyalai leader of the L.T.T.E.. During the hearing, Edward's mother reportedly said something offensive to Malaravan, who in turn is said to have raised his hand against her. Edward then slapped Malaravan. Edward was later asked to call at the Ariyalai camp for an inquiry. Fearing what may happen, Edward contacted the parish priest. The latter went to the camp and got an assurance that Edward would be released after a short inquiry and that no harm would befall him. The parish priest accompanied Edward to the camp and waited. Edward was taken in. Twenty minutes later the priest was told that Edward was dead. The priest fainted and was admitted to hospital. Those who went to see the body said that hardly a bone was left unbroken. Then things took a turn that was unusual for Jaffna. A large group of women gathered at the local church and protested for several days, displaying hand written posters. The middle-class based women's organisations, including the Mothers' Front, had lost their voice in the face of internal oppression.

The university students went out and addressed students from the higher forms in schools, who in turn came out and joined by sitting on roads and joining processions. An element of irony was added to the proceedings when the L.T.T.E. leader V. Prabhakaran commenced a Gandhi style fast in Madras when the Indian police confiscated his arms and communications equipment. A non-violent protest was on for the return of instruments of violence. Rival processions for the student cause and Prabhakaran's cause sometimes crossed each other.

At this point many diverse opinions came to be expressed, most of them agreeing that the students should give up their fast. Some felt that the students were excellently performing a very necessary task; but the community did not deserve the deaths of those who were fasting. If they died, six prospective leaders would be lost while people would shrug their shoulders and go on as before. Then little would be achieved. Many were hostile. They thought that the Tamils were being divided in the face of the main enemy, the Sri Lankan state, when they should be uniting behind the L.T.T.E.. Students were made heart broken and angry by an opinion expressed by a member of the staff who said that the students were making an absurd issue over one missing person when several L.T.T.E. men were dying fighting the Sri Lankan army. They were dismayed that such persons could not see the issues at stake and that one could in time come to mean hundreds. Besides, passive acquiescence by the community in such developments during a fight for freedom, would lead to its opposite, thus negating all sacrifice, including the militants' sacrifice.

The Jaffna press played it diplomatically by giving equal prominence to statements by all parties. The E.P.R.L.F. backed the students. The E.R.O.S. characteristically sat on the fence. The students were painfully aware that their protest could become interpreted as anti-L.T.T.E. and backed by rival militant groups who did not wish to confront the L.T.T.E. directly. A speech delivered by an E.P.R.L.F. leader at the university, the contents of which did not receive prior approval from the students, gave further room for this impression.

Two of the student leaders were former members of the P.L.O.T.E. and the E.P.R.L.F.. However, available information strongly suggests that they were not principally anti-L.T.T.E., but had rather become disillusioned with the anti-democratic militarism of all the groups, now enjoying Indian patronage. There was strong pressure on the students to give up the protest, and the L.T.T.E. too was embarrassed by it. But the problem was how to end it. A mutually acceptable formula had to be found. Even admirers of the protest felt that it had gone on long enough and that no further purpose would be served by its prolongation. A number of persons and organisations came to patch up a settlement, including the University Teachers' Association (U.T.A.). Some wanted to do some good. Others had reasons which were more complex.

The L.T.T.E.'s conduct was puzzling. They could have in the first instance said that they sympathised with the students and would make every effort to trace Vijitharan. Then there would have been no protest. But they took an aggressive line. School children who joined the protests were threatened by leading L.T.T.E. men at both Mahajana College, Tellipallai, and near Jaffna Hindu College. In the latter instance a student's name was singled out. The U.T.A. invited Kittu for a meeting in the Senior Common Room, where he was introduced as "our General." The session was marked by the silence of the staff, making one wonder why the meeting was called. Kittu took the line that if a militant group had abducted Vijitharan, they are not going to admit it amidst all this protest. He may be released, he said, far away at some distant time. He also made the point that traitors like Selvabala cannot be given amnesty on the grounds that they were students or on any other pretext. He was referring to a student from the Jaffna College Technical Institute who was said by the L.T.T.E. to have been armed and paid by the Sri Lankan army to assassinate Kittu and other key L.T.T.E. leaders. Selvabala was killed after he made a Singapore style T.V. confession on the L.T.T.E.'s station Niedharshanam.

Eventually a formula for ending the fast was reached. The L.T.T.E. gave a pledge to look for Vijitharan. Like many of the tales of intrigue, the truth about Vijitharan may not surface for years to come. For the University students, it ended for the time being their role in public affairs. With all their weaknesses and drawbacks, their role had been a noble one. They had been forced into tasks where others more mature and experienced than they ought to have given the lead. For the Tamil people, another light had gone out. Vimaleswaran, the student leader who led the protest fast, paid a heavy price for his defiance of the new order. He was assassinated in July, 1988.

The natural defiance of the women from the lower classes remained a remarkable feature as opposed to the pliability of upper class women. Village women in the East went out with rice pounders to stop the internecine fighting during the L.T.T.E.-T.E.L.O. clash. When the L.T.T.E. took on the E.P.R.L.F. on 14 December 1986, women from some low class villages in Jaffna near Keerimalai and Mallakam defied the L.T.T.E. by sitting on the roads armed with kitchen knives and chillie powder. The same women were to prove a nightmare to the Indians when they arrived. After October 1987 some of these women in the Pt. Pedro fish market decided that they would charge the Indians higher prices. This was noticed by a customer who took his turn after an Indian soldier. When asked, the fisher lady replied, "They came here to eat, did they?"

One newspaper editor who came out well during the affair was Mr. S. M. Gopalaratnam of the Eelamurasu. He had once served as editor of the Eelandu and was made editor of the Eelamurasu a short while before the protest. During the crisis he wrote several bold editorials and articles. The need for unity amongst Tamils was something he felt strongly about. When the L.T.T.E. took on the E.P.R.L.F. he wrote an editorial expressing his concern for the hundreds of youths who had died in disillusionment with a feeling of being abandoned. He said that the Tamils' failure to unite had left them exposed before their enemies. Barely two months after he took over, the paper passed under L.T.T.E. management. However the L.T.T.E. treated him with respect and quite often he had his way. An unsolicited tribute was paid to S.M.G., as he was fondly called, by the management of the University Senior Common Room: During the time S.M.G. wrote his independent editorials the Eelamurasu was the only paper to by kept out of the Common Room. With the new L.T.T.E. management of the paper from 1 January 1987, the paper reappeared in the Common Room after a month. As regards S.M.G., the L.T.T.E. may have shown higher standards than that citadel of intellectual freedom. The L.T.T.E. often respected those who dealt with them honestly.

By Rajani Thiranagama

Sri Lanka Watch - The rise of the L.T.T.E.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I have given the above articles to give an Overview of the issue under discussion.

It may help.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Can someone please explain to me why Sri Lankans speak an Indo-Aryan language even though they are ethnically most related to South Indians?
The only possible reason I can think of is the spread of Buddhism which came to Lanka from North India.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles