Another rationalist killed: All you need to know about Kannada author MM Kalburgi

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ancient Indian, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Ancient Indian

Ancient Indian Unplugged Version Senior Member

The shocking murder of 77-year-old Kannada writer, scholar and rationalist Dr MM Kalburgi on Sunday morning sent ripples through the Indian literary community, particularly since this is the third instance in two years where a rationalist author has been killed, ostensibly for his views.

In February this year, CPI leader Govind Pansare — whose biography of Shivaji titled Shivaji Kon Hota riled a handful of groups in Maharashtra — was killed after two unknown assailants fired at him and his wife in front of their house in Kolhapur district.

[​IMG]
    Dr MM Kalburgi. PTI

Narendra Dabholkar, the founder-president of Maharashtra-based Andhashraddha Nirmoolan Samiti — an organisation set up to eradicate superstition, was killed in August 2013, but his killers remain at large.

Kalburgi’s daughter, Roopadarshi, was quoted by Hindustan Times as saying, “There was a threat to my father from groups that couldn’t digest his views on caste and communalism”.

So who was Kalburgi?

The former vice-chancellor of Hampi University, Kalburgi is credited with having authored over 100 books and 400 articles.

He has also been the recipient of numerous national and state-level awards for his works, as DNA reports, including the Karnataka Sahitya Academy Award, Kendra Sahitya Akademi Award, Janapada Award, and Basava Puraskara.

A regular target of his writing was the Lingayat community, which is the single largest group in Karnataka and the BJP’s largest support base in the state, of which Dr Kalburgi himself was a member. He received threats to his life in 1989 after Marga One, a compendium of his research articles on Kannada folklore, religion and culture was published.

According to The Indian Express, “(h)is exploration of the life and relationships of patron saint of the Lingayat community Basavanna had attracted the ire of radicals in the community”.

The report goes on to quote senior journalist Subash Hugar who highlighted that “(in) one of the articles, he wrote that Channabasava, who is also a Lingayat seer, was born from a relationship between Basavanna’s sister and a cobbler. In another, he raised questions over Basavanna’s relationship with his wife”.

As a result of the death threats, he reportedly conducted his lectures at Karnatak University under police protection. And even as a group of 43 Kannada writers and academics formed a committee in support of the book, as pointed out by the People's Union for Civil Liberties, he scrapped — albeit defiantly; dubbing it ‘intellectual suicide’ — controversial sections from his book.

In June last year, Dr Kalburgi courted controversy and invited the wrath of the right-wing once again. Fellow Kannada author UR Ananthamurthy had alluded to urinating on stone idols as a child. A few days later, Dr Kalburgi, himself a staunch opponent of idol worship, had said at a function that “(t)here was nothing wrong in urinating on idols”. The police filed cases under sections 295A and 298 of the Indian Penal Code against both writers.

The Indian Express quotes a senior police official in Dharwad as saying, “Stones were pelted at Dr Kalburgi’s residence and he was provided police protection. The protection was withdrawn a few months later at the request of Dr Kalburgi, who said he was unable to interact freely with his research students.”

Fifteen days after the police withdrew its protection, Dr Kalburgi was shot at point blank range at his Dharwad residence.

IBNLive reports that he was in the process of editing a volume of ‘over 2,500 selected vachana poems to be published in 20 different languages’.

Following his murder, the Bajrang Dal’s Bantwal co-convenor Bhuvith Shetty took to Twitter to weigh in with his comments:

Shetty’s Twitter account (@GarudaPurana) was shut down soon after, and the Mangalore rural police registered a suo moto case against him under sections 506 and 153A of the Indian Penal Code.

Mad Indian likes this.
  3. Ancient Indian

Link
    What a loss to the country.

I used to admire his rationality.

I even designed my toy robot based on his rationality.

The eebil Bajarang Dal killed him.

GOI should ban this group.

This group and Sangh. Al of them terrorists.

#OutrageYourSelf

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  4. Ancient Indian

5. Rowdy

Rowdy Co ja kurwa czytam! Senior Member

RIP. No excuse to support murder of anyone for saying anything.
    :(

6. Ancient Indian

Removed pic for you bro.

You are too much Hindhu.

Rowdy likes this.
  7. Illusive

Illusive Senior Member Senior Member

Fucking extremists, this Bajrang Dal's and their ilks should be exterminated one by one, our country is no better than the likes of Bangladesh and Pakistan if this happens in our country.

8. Rowdy

Hold on .... the organisations that these leftist support (CPI etc.) have also killed hindus in Kerala and Bengal .... I'm not making an excuse for him but just saying that it COULD have come as a reaction.

maomao, Lions Of Punjab, VIP and 4 others like this.
  9. Ancient Indian

I suggest you to start an organisation and do some real work.

Then we can discuss these extremists things in detail.

10. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

Well, I know hardly anything about that man. But IMHO one is free to his thoughts and his version of rationale, but if it is to outrage someone eleses beliefs, one has to be careful that not everyone is going take every assault on their beleifs lying down. Also does being rational means that one has to divorce reason and be wilfully offensive?

Also, until the preparators are caught and are proven to be belonging to any Hindu right wind, I would suggest everyone not to jump to any conclusions. Given the proven track record of the current Karnataka Govt regarding conspiracies and apply to foul means, this murder just after BBMC loss, may be ab act of not so Hindutva group to fuel anti-Hintudva hatred.

OneGrimPilgrim likes this.
  11. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

There's no court-admissible proof that Karburgi was killed by a "Right Wing Hindu Organization," yet, so unbunch your sickular undies.

Likewise, none of you liberal cucks bleed your hearts out when Hindus are killed by radical Islamist elements, or when "rationalist" Muslims are killed by them.

rock127, OneGrimPilgrim, VIP and 4 others like this.
  12. Illusive

Illusive Senior Member Senior Member

It doesn't matter matter if its right wing extremists or Left wing, hindu, muslim or christian, can't let this fundamentalists destroy our society. Its every mans right to have his opinion and free speech.

13. Rowdy

Lets wait and watch if it really was "Hindutva" or not .... The CM is congtard.... so no probability of political patronage.

raja696 likes this.
  14. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

I don't tolerate blasphemy (if this is the right word). If you see problems with Hinduism then quit, adopt something else or help people reform than abusing, especially those who are at privileged positions.

The usual 'deadfall trap' here would be to comment either in black or white on his murder. I don't care what people do to each other in conflicts anymore because conflicts are common everywhere and to explain each of them one has to get his hand dirty to start from a point. My point of start will be different from others.

Hinduism has been enduring plenty of insult, loot, plunder and even destruction of places of worship. It all starts with one or the another excuse. Sometimes it was to impose better regions on us, sometimes it was to fix evils of Hinduism, some times it was more aesthetic as to teach us what we actually are by outsiders, sometimes it was by so call rationalists who urinate or justify urinating on our Idols to prove a rational point.

Rather adding further to this issue I would conclude by saying the law will take its own course and please give protection to Ananthamurthy, some one could attempt to chop his penis off.

15. raja696

raja696 Regular Member

Rofl :rofl:@ Elite member.... irrespective of sensitivity of matter the way u put it... Killing some one is wrong but how it is connected to Hinduism just by some single line tweet ... I dont understand. Did the killer told media that I killed late Mr.kalburgy because my book of hinduism told me to do so. All crap if for example if investigation proves hindu fanatic is not the reason for his death, media will not even pick up traces to post this news second time correcting itself:biggrin2:. I am sure ru?

16. SafedSagar

SafedSagar Regular Member

self delete.............................

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  17. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

I am sorry, I can not understand what you are trying to say here. Please elaborate.

Thanks

18. Samar Rathi

Samar Rathi Regular Member

So some noob teenager tweeted after his death and sicuklar are shouting Bajrang dal killed him?

No evidence ,proof nothing just a random tweeter post to make a fact bajrang dal killed him ?

Anyone even tried to check the guy who posted is in bajrang dal or not (very well might be some teenager kid )

As usual secular police ( judge ,jury and executioner ) fuck court and law when we have sickular police in the nation. :hail:

Mad Indian, raja696 and bose like this.
  19. DingDong

DingDong Senior Member Senior Member

Rationalist has become synonymous to Ultra-Left in India. With high probability, this is a political killing.

Karnataka government has remained rather tight-lipped and has not condemned the communal forces so far. Let us wait for the identification and arrest of the culprits.

20. bose

bose Senior Member Senior Member

How people come to the conclusion that it was Bajrang Dal ?? Have they claimed the responsibility of killing him ?

I hope it is not like that we saw in the case on Christian Nun rape and RSS was blamed for it... later it was found that the actual culprit are Bangladeshi Muslims...

A chauhan and raja696 like this.
  21. cobra commando

cobra commando Tharki regiment Veteran Member Senior Member

@ Op saar, first let the police, investigative agencies do it's job. If the dumb Bajrang dal or any other "right-wing hindu outfits" are found to be behind this as you claim, then yes they should be banned/punished.

Illusive and raja696 like this.