Another Abbottabad style raid in Pakistan?

BangersAndMash

5 Pakistan Taliban leaders arrested by NATO forces in Pakistan

2011-05-30

ISLAMABAD, May 30 (Xinhua) -- Unconfirmed news from intelligence sources said on Monday that five Pakistan Taliban ( TTP) leaders were arrested Monday morning in the Gorvait area of North Waziristan by NATO forces and later taken away by two NATO helicopters to Afghanistan.

According to the sources who asked to remain anonymous, the action was taken by the NATO forces without informing the Pakistani government. If so, this is another Abbottabad-like operation taken by the foreign forces on the Pakistani soil without the knowledge of the Pakistani side.

Political agent of North Waziristan also confirmed the news.

So far, there is no official report about the Monday morning's operation taken by the NATO forces in North Waziristan, a tribal area in northwest Pakistan, which is believed to be a stronghold of militants in the country, who often launch attacks on the NATO forces in Afghanistan across the border.

On May 2, the U.S. forces conducted a raid in Pakistan's northwestern city of Abbottabad, during which the former al-Qaida chief Osama bin Laden was killed in his compound. As the U.S. side did not inform the Pakistani side until the raid was over, it led to a strong protest from the Pakistani side as Pakistan considers the unilateral action taken by the United States has seriously violated its sovereignty.

5 Pakistan Taliban leaders arrested by NATO forces in Pakistan

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
I haven't seen this news coming from any other source. all in all a welcome development

BangersAndMash

I haven't seen this news coming from any other source. all in all a welcome development
Hopefully we will learn more about this in due course! It will be interesting to hear what Terroriststan has to say!

Jambudweep

Guess the message from Hilary to Pak was clear enough...... "Do more or we would"

BangersAndMash

This is an unnamed Pakistani "intelligence" source disclosing something off the record to a Chinese tabloid. Take it with 5 tons of salt. The Pakistanis are using this article to spread disinformation...namely that the TTP are being sheltered by ISAF, a long standing conspiracy theory that has taken hold of some politicians as well. While it would be good news for forces of good and justice that such raids happen, with or without the consent of the terrorists in Islamabad, ISAF would not logically expend such resources to capture 5 top leaders of the TTP when such men are usually surrounded by hundreds of body guards, and more importantly, a few Hellfire missiles can do a lot more good with a lot more ease, lobbed from the sky on the border. I call BS, because ISAF is not fighting TTP and cares two sh**s about them compared to the Haqqani network, Al Qaeda and the Taliban that is operating in Afghanistan, not this "TTP" nonsense that the ISI is most probably funding to make them look like innocent victims.
Good point, I have never heard of ISAF going after TTP!

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
again not a great source, thats the mouth piece of isi, full of conspiracy theories, for now would like to go with what SB said.

anyways these nation chaps were just claiming it to be a mere air space violation, and now this. interestingly this all is coming out on a day when its official that paks along with the americans will be entering NW, wont be surprised if the disgruntled group could be behind this, so are we going to see some sort of a mutiny with in pa if they enter NW?

BangersAndMash

Well they have gone after TTP; it were US drones which killed Baitullah Mehsud.
You are right, that seems like a long time ago! Next time a pakistani tells me TTP is a creation of CIA & RAW, I'll remind them of that incident! I guess I personally can't recall reading anything about coalition forces going after TTP in recent times, nothing comes to mind anyways!

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
How about India? When are we going to lunch such kind of commando raids to nab the perpetrators of the Mumbai attacks? Or communist guerillas?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles