Anna is back with his slap therapy

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by The Messiah, Jan 26, 2012.

1. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Anna is back with his slap therapy

[​IMG]

“When a man’s power of tolerance runs out, then whoever is in front of you, if a slap is given, then the brain is put back in place. That is the only road open now.” It sounds a bit convoluted but coming from anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare, there’s no room for doubt about what he means and who the intended receiver of the slap is.

The Gandhian’s repeated endorsement of the slap therapy as a remedy to corruption is a bit beguiling. Not long ago, he almost applauded the guy who slapped Union Minister Sharad Pawar in New Delhi, exclaiming “just one slap!’’ He retracted this later but it was clear that Anna believes a lot in the curative properties of the tight slap. Here he goes yet again.

The political class is understandably livid. Now that the anti-corruption movement is at a low ebb and looks in no position to recover, they are freer with words.

“Anna is talking of a slap. Next Team Anna will talk about bullets. When the team commander talks about violence, the team will do even worse,” said Azam Khan of the Samajwadi Party.

“After this statement, my respect towards him has lessened. I always took him as a Gandhiwadi, but the way he is talking about violent behaviour; my respect towards him has lessened. I think it is a result of keeping the company of the Sangh,” said Congress leader Digvijaya Singh.

“There is no need to use five fingers. Use just one finger and press a button to slap corruption. In democracy vote is the most powerful tool to fight corruption,” said BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain.

The reaction would have been much sharper had it come from any other member of Team Anna, but imagine the leaders talking like this four months ago! With no avalanche of public support and no media frenzy around Anna now, they feel they have wrested back the space they had ceded to the anti-corruption movement. The fear of the angry masses is gone now. So the swagger is back. It is not a positive development. But that is how things stand at this point.

Anna, on the other hand, sounds more like a frustrated man. His words reflect a sense of dejection not confidence. It is clear that he has exhausted all his options. The threat to fast has been overused — the Mumbai fiasco was a reminder of reality. There is little scope to take advantage of political rivalries now — the Rajya Sabha debate exposed that no party was with his movement. His all-powerful team, which was the toast of the media last year, is off the public radar.

Anna and his team have only to blame themselves for it. They have lost a winning hand by being too arrogant, too inflexible in their approach. It is not a happy situation they are in now. Anna’s loose statement, endorsing slapping of the corrupt politicians is likely to make it worse. In Uttarakhand, former chief minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank has decided to take Arvind Kejriwal to court for calling him the “pocket edition of Suresh Kalmadi” and accusing him of involvement in land scams.

Kejriwal and his other friends in the civil society, it appears, have still not learnt their lessons. They continue with making allegations aimed at tarnishing the image of political players without taking legal repercussions into consideration. This strategy is going to backfire badly sooner rather than later. When the media is not there to amplify your viewpoint or protect your transgressions, it makes little sense to throw muck at others.

Anna’s slap remark would have been received with some amusement and ignored as his typical paternalistic approach to things some months ago. But the times have changed. He has to be more careful – his team members won’t change. Media, he must remember, cuts both ways.

http://www.firstpost.com/india/anna-is-back-with-his-slap-therapy-193951.html

Singh likes this.
  3. trackwhack

trackwhack Tihar Jail Banned

4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Anna is acting a fool!

5. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

6. tiranga

tiranga Tihar Jail Banned

Annaji Hum AApke saath hai,... slap these dogs...

7. utubekhiladi

utubekhiladi The Preacher Elite Member

here is the ultimate joke from dick vijay singh

“After this statement, my respect towards him has lessened. I always took him as a Gandhiwadi, but the way he is talking about violent behaviour; my respect towards him has lessened. I think it is a result of keeping the company of the Sangh,” said Congress leader Digvijaya Singh.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

8. tiranga

tiranga Tihar Jail Banned

if you go by that way, doggy is aatankwadi... for respecting osama

9. utubekhiladi

utubekhiladi The Preacher Elite Member

and you wonder why i changed my name to mustafa, and country to libya and flag to pakistan..

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

10. Vyom

Vyom Seeker Elite Member

Sometimes when you are childishly honest and are pure at heart, you appear fool to others for speaking the pain in your heart.

parijataka and Singh like this.
  11. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Violence and vigilante justice should never be the recourse for anything!

12. Vyom

Vyom Seeker Elite Member

I am not saying that, I am just saying try and understand the heart of a man which yearns for his country above his personal interests. I am sure he does not means advocating slapping every corrupt of the country, as in slapping by hand, the wrong perspective in which the media is showing his methods that he used to apply on the commoners of his village.

13. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

He is speaking the common man's language, it mayn't appeal to all us bribe giving educated middle class

parijataka likes this.
  14. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

he should stay consistent...either he is non-violent or not.

there is no harm in either camp but he should not jump in and out from both camps.

pmaitra likes this.
  15. Nirvana

Nirvana Regular Member

What wrong did he say ? He never said he is "Gandhiwadi" , he admire Gandhi , but Non - Violence in not always an option sometimes you are made up to take a Violent path

16. p2prada

p2prada Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

He is no Gandhi, that's for sure.

17. warriorextreme

warriorextreme Senior Member Senior Member

I am not sure but it was media who gave him dusara gandhi tag...he has even said that he believes in Chatrapati Shivaji maharaj...which means he believes in Sam-Dam-Dand-Bhed.

parijataka likes this.
  18. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

• He was in the Army - he was violent!
    • He then became a 'Gandhian' - so he switched to non-violence.
    • He is now talking of slapping - so he is back to square one!

Fantastic!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  19. Ray

That is the problem of image.

Being in the Army, doesn't mean that one has to be of a violent nature, or a rapist or drunkard! ;)

Or even an illiterate without brains.

Just making an OT point.

Notwithstanding, he is acting a trifle weird these days.

He will lose the goodwill he has garnered if he act weird.

Though I like his Anti Corruption Crusade, I do not subscribe to the view that he is of the stature of Mahatma Gandhi.

BTW, Anna Hazare, if I am not wrong, was a truck driver in the Army. Hardly a job that warrants violence, though I will agree road rage can lead to violence! :)

20. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

^^

I had a typo in my comment.

There is nothing wrong with being violent and being in the Army.

The point I am trying to make is that Gandhi was against any kind of violence, including the modus operandi of the INA. So Anna should make up his mind. If he wants to be a Gandhian, he should abjure any kind of violence. In Gandhian philosophy, there is no good violence or bad violence. Such ideas cannot be used to run a military and I hope Anna will agree to that.

Yes, that is true. He used to drive military trucks. Notwithstanding, he did participate in war. Everyone contributes in war, even the cook. So he has already violated Gandhian principles.

21. Ray

Like there can be no good terrorist and bad terrorist!! :)