Anna Hazare.:We used to tie alcoholics to a pole and beat them up.

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Poseidon, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Poseidon

Poseidon Regular Member

We used to tie alcoholics to a pole and beat them up: Anna Hazare.
    AFP | Nov 22, 2011, 02.23PM IST

NEW DELHI: Anti-graft crusader Anna Hazare was criticized by mainstream political parties on Tuesday for saying he supported the public flogging of alcoholics.

Hazare, whose hunger strike in August against corruption attracted massive nationwide support, told NDTV news channel that corporal punishment had previously been used in his home village in Maharashtra.

"We give three warnings because after all they are our people," he said. "But after the warnings, we drag that person to the temple and make him promise that he will never drink again in his life.

"But even after all this if they continued drinking, we used to tie them to a pole near the temple and beat them up."

The 74-year-old's comments are likely to dent his image as a non-violent activist inspired by Mahatma Gandhi. Critics have previously alleged he held extreme views.

"I think the Taliban used to say the same thing," Manish Tewari, spokesperson of the ruling Congress party, said, while the main BJP opposition party said his approach was no way to deal with alcoholism.

Hazare has also come under fire for demanding the death penalty for corrupt officials and is accused of trying to subvert India's parliamentary democracy by using hunger strikes to influence lawmakers

We used to tie alcoholics to a pole and beat them up: Anna Hazare - The Times of India

Annaji I don't think you should interfere in a people's personal life.Please stick to your anti corruption campaign.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  3. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

whats wrong in that . alcohol has destroyed many families . Imagine a labor earning 50 rupees and wasting 40 rs on daru . he deserve public flogging if it helps his family at the end of the day.

Sabir, hitesh and Neil like this.
  4. Poseidon

Poseidon Regular Member

But what about people like me?

Param likes this.
  5. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

Anna said it was done in his village to stop drinking habits. If you become habitual drinker and if thats destroying your family then I wont oppose your parents flogging you for your betterment.
    Hope you dont take it personally. :)

6. Param

Param Senior Member Senior Member

I would love to be flogged by Sunny Leone(in private)

LurkerBaba likes this.
  7. niharjhatn

niharjhatn Regular Member

What is particularly wrong with that? True I disagree with the violence, but there should definitely be punishments for actions like that. I am all for full autonomy, but If an uneducated illiterate condemns his family to poverty, can you really shrug and tell the starving wife and kids that "sorry - I can't help".

As for corrupt politicians - they deserve worse than death IMO. All assets should be turned over and money raised handed to anti-poverty schemes. I don't understand how many of these 'politicians' sleep at night. They are a huge cause of every hungry mouth and sick child in our nation.

8. Poseidon

Poseidon Regular Member

Yeah,me too.:D

9. niharjhatn

Is that all you think about :frusty:

(fine I admit, its all I dream about too :lol:)

10. Poseidon

Poseidon Regular Member

I am not talking about addicts.But it sounds like won't be allowed drink the 4th time in my life.

11. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

How can he impose his will on others? Thank God he is not a dictator. Calls himself a Gandhian eh? Whatever happened to non violence!!

12. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

Dont trust everything what media says. drinking as a habit is bad and should be condemned. once or twice in a month is ok and is acceptable.

Sabir likes this.
  13. Kunal Biswas

Kunal Biswas Member of the Year 2011 Moderator

He is diverted, Bad For India..

14. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

15. niharjhatn

How can you call it acceptable :frusty:

In what way, shape or form is drinking acceptable? It costs money, affects health, and causes a lot of other problems...

I really dislike how in the last 10 years or so Indians have found it acceptable to go "social drinking" like those in the west.

Its a vice in ALL CASES. That said, if someone were to partake in such vices - it is up to them and them alone to judge the benefits and negatives and come to an informed decision. The problem lies among the poor - as they get trapped into a cycle to depression, drink and poverty that only continues to get worse unless interventions are applied. Poor education means they do not understand all the benefits and risks etc.

Can anyone honestly say that stopping involvement in destructive behaviour is a bad thing?

Kunal Biswas likes this.
  16. Kunal Biswas

Adding a little more to this..

Army Drink Alcohol in a amount no other Organisation do, The question is why ? It not only Indian Army but Every single Army in the World..

The Answer is simple is because their are situations a man work where he needed such things to work efficiently, He takes enormousness work, shouting, see friends getting killed, Or CO is pushing him to limits, Here why Military needs alcohol, But In other branches in army itself people dont drink even a drop of alcohol for example AMC which stand for Army Medical Crops also Many in EME so does in other places...

Abt the poor i agree with niharjhatn

But isko adat banana galat ha..

17. Kunal Biswas

Further i also doubt abt Media, Did they add masala ?

Which Indian Media is so popular abt ?

18. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

Media without Masala is like Bollywood without Music. :rofl:

Kunal Biswas likes this.
  19. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

media has to serve their masters so its obvious that they will present the facts in manner it suits their masters . But its really sad to see response of few members here . drinking is a social evil no matter what justification one gives. I am one pf person who has drunkards and liquor sellers both in family . one of my uncle is leading liquor syndicate of whole district and My family has lost two lives due to drinking habits . Ever since my childhood I am facing this menace of alcohol and I really miss someone like Anna in my village . My life would have been much much better .

Sabir and Kunal Biswas like this.
  20. niharjhatn

...its better (without them), but the b******* shove it in anyway :D

21. Neil

Neil Senior Member Senior Member

yusuf bhai....a little OT but... i have visited his village...and u must see the change that be bought in that place...earlier the situation was like vidharbha...farmer suicide and stuffs now its a very progressive village in maharashtra....not because of government but because of anna...

now...please dont believe in what media says...when i visited the village we were told...that if someone drinks alcohol he is 1st embarrassed in front of villagers and still continues he is bitten till he stops drinking...nothings wrong in that...desi dharu is like a slow poison not only for a person taking it but for his family too....