And here goes freedom of speech/expression into hell /Under attack, Deoband head says

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by anoop_mig25, Jan 23, 2011.

1. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

Under attack, Deoband head says Allah won’t forgive Modi
    :frusty::frusty::frusty:

Deepu Sebastian Edmond , Seema Chishti Posted: Sun Jan 23 2011 Deoband:

Under strong pressure from within the Shoora — the governing body of Dar-ul-Uloom — which elected him, after reports that he praised the Narendra Modi government in Gujarat, the newly elected Mohtamim (Head) of Dar-ul-Uloom, Ghulam Mohammad Wastanavi, today issued a public apology in some Urdu newspapers and rejected allegations that he gave Modi a clean chit on the 2002 riots.
    Calling his remarks “greatly distorted,” the Gujarat-born Wastanavi, who was elected on January 10, told The Sunday Express on his first day in Deoband today: “I cannot forgive Narendra Modi, Allah will not forgive Narendra Modi, the common man will not forgive Narendra Modi. No one can forgive Narendra Modi...We will take revenge on Modi. We will pray to Allah for this.”

“This humble person cannot even think of saying something that is against the dignity and traditions of Dar-ul-Uloom,” he said, adding that if the community was hurt by his statement, “I apologise from the bottom of my heart.”

However, it’s unclear whether this will placate his critics. In fact, anticipating more pressure, Wastanavi was quoted by Twocircles.net, a website that covers Muslim community news and events, as saying: “I am ready to step down if the same Shoora (that elected me) asks me to do so. If one day the Shoora tells me that it has changed its mind and wants to replace me, I will put in my papers.”

Speaking to The Sunday Express, Wastanavi said: “They asked me for my comment on the Gujarat riots. I replied, ‘Why are you asking us after eight years? There were so many Muslims who were tortured, killed and injured.’ I did not give a clean chit to Narendra Modi.” Referring to the remarks attributed to him in The Times of India, he said that he had a copy of the recording in his possession to prove his point.

The 61-year-old Maulana said that he wished that Muslims empowered themselves so that a repeat of Gujarat could be avoided. “Wastanavi is not a person who can forget about what happened eight years ago. At the same time, I wish that Muslims got themselves educated and started businesses. Meanwhile, we should be aware of the many riot cases that are being argued in our courts. I have also been involved in the rehabilitation process, I am the president of a body which does such work. We have spent crores as part of the relief efforts,” he said.

He stood by his remarks on development in the state. “I did not praise Modi but I spoke about the development of Gujarat. I praised the development of Gujarat, which is the result of the work (of) Centre and State Governments,” he said. Asked if he thought Muslims were marginalised in Gujarat’s growth, Wastanavi said: “I do not live in Gujarat, I live outside.”

The controversy comes days after he was elected on January 10. As first reported in The Sunday Express, his choice was seen as a break from tradition: he was the first from outside the Deoband fold (or one who has not been educated and trained in a Deobandi madrasa). He is also known as an education entrepreneur, running a madrasa in Akkalkua in Maharashtra — where he has lived for the past three decades — and several engineering colleges.

Critics were restive over an MBA theologian taking over the traditional and normally conservative seminary. In the days following his election, there were newspaper ads and statements by clerics questioning his credentials. One attacked him for having been associated with a function involving the distribution of idols in Beed in October. In his apology today, Wastanavi said: “Keeping or distributing idols is a great sin in my faith...therefore, there is no question of keeping or distributing any idols.”

Opposition to him has united the two rival factions of the Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind, a Muslim organization of clerics and the largest organization of madrasas in the country. Mahmud Madani, MP and leader of one group said: “I think his remarks have been distorted, but if he said Muslims in Gujarat are OK under Modi, that is unacceptable and absurd. When we are critical of incidents of discrimination in states run by otherwise secular political parties like Maharashtra and West Bengal, it is simply absurd to say that Modi’s state is OK.:frusty::frusty:
    :frusty::frusty:
    There are only two ways out for the new Mohtamim now — either punishment or he should apologise.”

When contacted, Maulana Arshad Madani, leader of the other faction and a bitter rival of Mahmud Madani, said: “People are already writing and talking extensively about his appointment. Now there is no point in my joining the debate, one shouldn’t enter all debates and discussions.”

3. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Pretty much what I said in the thread which was started the day he made the statement when some members here as well construed it as a clean chit to modi and thought it was a slap on the faces of various people.
    Even then I had argued about the statement being given an interpretation that was probably not right.

4. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

Really, Yusuf, I didnt think you would say this. You of all people must know that the kind of pressure he is put to, he is effectively backtracking from his original statement and thats pity...because now muslims(and their leaders) are not being given a choice to like or dislike Modi anymore. They are being dictated to dislike him.

And I hope that you dont share the views of Madani as well. Because he is peddling the same crap that Pakistani peddle about Indian muslims being slaves of hindus...

5. Yusuf

Johnee, as in that thread I stated the fact as I saw from the statement without going into the politics of it. It is a fact that Gujarat is galloping and muslims are progressing, and that deoband guy said as much. I don't remember reading anything in that statement which said Modi is forgiven for what he did or didn't do in 2002. He was only commenting on the current economics of the state and economic state of the muslims and future prospects. I didn't base my thoughts on the politics and history of the state. Just plain inference from the statement issued.

6. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

Its not for people to give him clean chit there is a legal system to judge him and had he been guilty he would be behind bars.Ofcourse one can still continue claiming conspiracy that he extricate himself out of the situation but finally its still remain a slap in face of people like Teesta Satalwad who make a living out of the misery of poor people.

The statement was that under Modi there is no discrimination and Muslim are ECONOMICALLY doing better than in many so called better states.

7. Yusuf

Right and that is the fact. But where does it say anything about the riots and any clean chit in his personal capacity? And yes he also said we have to move on which is also the pragmatic thing to do,

8. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

But it is precisely this pragmatic approach that has caused takleef to those who want to continue with 'maut ke saudagar' campaign even though it has come to light that the real maut ke saudagars where ruling us when Bihar tragedy struck. Some people dont want the message that muslims are also developing in Guj to be spread for variety of reasons. And that is the reason for attack on Deoband Head. Also notice those who are attacking him and their views. People like Madani for example. He is insinuating that Muslims are second-class citizens in India in general and in a state where Modi(a supposedly Hindu radical) is the CM, things will be terrible for Muslims...

Do you agree with that view of Madani?

9. S.A.T.A

S.A.T.A Senior Member Senior Member

I wonder what kind of revenge Wastanavi had in his mind,would he mind sharing it ?

Here is the head of possibly the most influential Muslim organization publicly threatening to take revenge on the democratically elected head of the government of a state of the Indian union.If a boy teenager in this country could land up in jail for the mere act of sending a letter of threat to a corporate head honcho,where does this leave our justice system in terms of dealing with the likes of Mr Wastanavi and the organization he heads.

The hilarious part is,Wastanavi's "greatly distorted" praise for Modi and the subsequent "correct" condemnation of the same were both unsolicited and completely self indulgent.When a political personality begins to loom large on the mainstream national discourse,when whether you like him or hate him,but cannot be indifferent to him,you generally realize he has arrived.This is perhaps the only solace Narendra Modi can take from this episode.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  10. Yusuf

Certainly not. Those are irresponsible and his personal views not shared by me or the wider muslim population of this country.
    Let me give you and example in my family. During the riots, my cousins shop and house were burnt.The loss due to loss of stock in the shop alone was 50lacs. Entire lifes earnings gone.He started from scratch and today is doing many times the business he was doing before the riots and is far better off today. That is the economic reality of that state. There was nothing wrong in the statement issued by the deobandi guy earlier.

11. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

The Deoband rector, had earlier endorsed Modi's economic policies because all, including Muslims were progressing because of the economic policies. This statement was, as usual, deliberately distorted by the right wingers and some BJP supporters to sound like Deoband has issued a blanket endorsement of Modi. Thankfully, people aren't so easy to get fooled.

12. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Gujaratis of all class, strata and religion are great businessmen with a fantastic business acumen.

Today, the US motel business is Gujarati dominated so much so, they are called Potels (Patel's Motel).

In so far as Gujarat is concerned, the Deobandi head merely alluded that Modi was a catalyst to the Gujarati's business sense.