Ancient Rome - Rise and Fall of an Empire

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Great posts EM. Nice find. Now I have much better understanding of Roman Empire history.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Great posts EM. Nice find. Now I have much better understanding of Roman Empire history.
Pleasure is all mine... before this documentary was made, the evidence was corroborated with newly uncovered data and facts at the History Department of Oxford University... so, its pretty authentic...

One of the biggest revelations, for me personally was the fact that contrary to popular belief, Nero wasn't fiddling when Rome was burning... In fact, new evidence suggests that he was actually helping out in fighting the blaze...

This was revealed as part of this documentary...

You watched the whole thing???

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Pleasure is all mine... before this documentary was made, the evidence was corroborated with newly uncovered data and facts at the History Department of Oxford University... so, its pretty authentic...

One of the biggest revelations, for me personally was the fact that contrary to popular belief, Nero wasn't fiddling when Rome was burning... In fact, new evidence suggests that he was actually helping out in fighting the blaze...

This was revealed as part of this documentary...

You watched the whole thing???
I have watched 3 episodes, so 3 more left, I'm eagerly waiting to watch them when I get time. Yeah, I too learned the surprising fact that Nero was not fiddling while Rome was burning.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Really a new learning for me as we don't have these events in our school history.

The Julius caesar story was a bit different in the Conn Iggukden book, especially the accounts of the battles and the character of Pompey.

Its a thoughly enjoyable learning experience. I am currently on the fourth episode.

S.A.T.A

Nero's playing the fiddle while Rome burned is much in the same vein as Marie Antoinette's advise to hungry Parisians to eat cake,two historic incidents in all probability never were :)

While Nero,like many of his predecessor,was bit of a megalomaniac,he was also power hungry enough to understand the consequence of earning the wrath of the Romans by destroying the city.Even if he indeed set fire to a part of the city,it was not within this means to keep it burning for six days.

Most of his demonizing happens in the later christian writings,who were severely prosecuted by Nero,esp after the great fire.this continued until recent times,read the polish classic Quo vadis by Sienkiewicz.

Nero was not half a megalomaniac and psychopath as Caligula was.

ShyAngel

Founding Member
Oh gosh how did I miss this one?
Now its no longer working how sad.....

:(

Btw I saw the film promo on our predecessor Gengish..(LOL) but haven't watched the film yet. My little brother did and he said it was great and he love it.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles