Ancient Indian Empires and Weapons

VOCvangoens

Does anyone here have any images of catapults and other siege engines from the Kushan and Gupta periods? I want to find out more about siege warfare in India from the time of Chandragupta Maurya to the end of the Gupta period. Did any Chinese technology such as crossbows and early trebuchets find their way into India?

Reactions: Kay

Indian Devil

so sonic booms can actually kill virus or bacteria? in case of snake, he is deaf cannot hear ;)
Since virus and bacteria are a minority in India, you can't kill'em.
No No. snake no deaf. only propaganda by Hindutva-vaadis to make snake victimized, You Hindu liar and communalist, and marxist and exorsist... and dentist too, i will return my award which I got for cleaning marriage tents.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
The first use of Catapult in a war goes back to 492 BC even before Kushan and Guptas.Ajatsatru used this war machine against his war against Licchavi and Vaishali.

Buddhist sources calls them

MahaShilaKantaka - catapult

RathaMuthala- Kind of a battering Ram
Does anyone here have any images of catapults and other siege engines from the Kushan and Gupta periods? I want to find out more about siege warfare in India from the time of Chandragupta Maurya to the end of the Gupta period. Did any Chinese technology such as crossbows and early trebuchets find their way into India?

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

Gupta Era Depiction of maybe Shiva and Parvati

Holding an Indian Broad Sword

4th-6th Century AD

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

Ancient Indian Military Attire

Military of Ancient India

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

3000 year old iron sword from Vidarbha region, Maharashtra

Elephant sword, 15th-17th Century AD

Last edited:

VOCvangoens

What about the famed steel bows used in India and by Indian soldiers in Persian service as recounted by Herodotus?

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

Gupta Dagger Design, 4th-6th Century AD

Curved Dagger design and two handed mace, 4th-5th Century AD

Similar dagger, different hilt, 4th-5th Century AD

Guards with maces and some sort of suit, 4th-5th Century AD

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

Satavahana Terracotta from Kondapur showing similar type of armoring or padding.

Satavahana soldier with some type of helmet. With larget collars.

Another figure with this 360 neck collar. No neck collar, but has ear flap.

Maurya, 3rd Century BC

Surya, Mathura, showing scale armor, 3rd-4th Century AD

Crossbowmen, Sunga, 2nd Century BC

Very interesting to find a crossbowmen this late in Indian history

Last edited:

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Treaty of Purandar was due the defeat Marathas suffered during the siege of Purandar. The seige of Purandar was successful because of their Artillery, not Cavalry.
During the Marathas expansion, at the time of Peshwas, the Rajputs didn't offer any resistance to the Maratha Cavalry.
You asked the question about rajput cavalry, i gave you several examples including purandar where rajputs utterly defeated the Marathas and forced shivaji to sign the treaty,i gave you several other examples as far as central asia ,where rajputs fought.They also defeated Ghauri in 1st battle of tarain.

Secondly Marathas was only interested in chauth so large scale confrontation between them is out of question,shivaji although regarded as shudra himself claimed sisodiya rajput status.

In any case Marathas were guerilla fighters thus inferior against rajputs,if they were united like marathas there would've ruled N India in place of turks,let alone Marathas.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador

In any case Marathas were guerilla fighters thus inferior against rajputs,
if they were united like marathas there would've ruled N India in place of turks,let alone Marathas.
haha........Joke of the century.

Rajputs who sold their daughters to muslims to keep their throne were such superior fighters!

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
haha........Joke of the century.

Rajputs who sold their daughters to muslims to keep their throne were such superior fighters!
If anything this just shows the intelligence level and the intellectual brilliance of the AIT/AMT Fappers:lol:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles